Corsair Community

Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ

Zotty

9 hours ago, DevBiker said:

It might work; hard to say. Some current USB controllers have don't play well with the CoPro. In that case, an internal USB hub would fix the issue.

I'm thinking that I will plug the LNC with 6x QL directly to a motherboard USB 2.0 header and try piggybacking the LNP with 4 x LED strips off a C-Pro USB header. Is power the issue or something else? I don't have any major issues with the C-Pro and my current motherboard/USB controller. 

6 hours ago, Astral85 said:

Is power the issue or something else? I don't have any major issues with the C-Pro and my current motherboard/USB controller. 

I think it's power; the hub on the CoPro is unpowered and that has caused issues - you'll see them all over the forum. If you have a Commander Pro, you can also run the strips right off of that as well as the QL Fans (with a Fan Hub). What are you using the RGB headers on the Commander Pro for? Why do you even need the LNP or the LNC?

8 hours ago, DevBiker said:

I think it's power; the hub on the CoPro is unpowered and that has caused issues - you'll see them all over the forum. If you have a Commander Pro, you can also run the strips right off of that as well as the QL Fans (with a Fan Hub). What are you using the RGB headers on the Commander Pro for? Why do you even need the LNP or the LNC?

I have two waterblocks with LED's (CPU + GPU) and I've modded both with ARGB to CUE adapter cables. So CPU block is on C-Pro lighting ch 1 and GPU block is on C-Pro lighting ch 2.

Currently I have 4 x LED strips on LNP ch 1 and 6 x LL fans on LNP ch 2. With the QL on LNC that leaves just the 4 x LED strips on the LNP. So if I connect the LNP to the C-Pro USB header the C-Pro would be running a total of 6 x LED strips..... The LED strip on the GPU block is only really half a strip (6-7 LED's). 

My motherboard only has 2 x USB 2.0 headers. So it would be C-Pro on USB header 1 and LNC on USB header 2. LNP connected to C-Pro USB header 1. 

Edited by Astral85

Anyone knows or have tried to use more than 1x Corsair QL120 or QL140 RGB fans using a single rgb header on the Commander Pro, XT model or even the RGB fan hub?

I'll be using the following Corsair RGB Splitter

I'll also be adding some LED strips from a GPU waterblock as well as a couple of distribution plates on an empty single RGB Header

Thanks!

Corsair RGB LED Fan Splitter Cable - 01.jpg

Corsair RGB LED Fan Splitter Cable - 02.jpg

41 minutes ago, bono2099 said:

Anyone knows or have tried to use more than 1x Corsair QL120 or QL140 RGB fans using a single rgb header on the Commander Pro, XT model or even the RGB fan hub?

I'll be using the following Corsair RGB Splitter

I'll also be adding some LED strips from a GPU waterblock as well as a couple of distribution plates on an empty single RGB Header

Thanks!

It'll work but you do need to be careful about the total current load; the QL fans draw a bit of power (as you probably suspect). You can put up to 7 on a Fan Hub or Lighting Node Core - you'll still be under 4.5A on full white but only barely.

3 hours ago, DevBiker said:

It'll work but you do need to be careful about the total current load; the QL fans draw a bit of power (as you probably suspect). You can put up to 7 on a Fan Hub or Lighting Node Core - you'll still be under 4.5A on full white but only barely.

You are correct. The SATA connector max amp is 4.5. The MAX power per Fan header is 1Amp.

I know the QL120 fans draw 0.3amps. Though is it a combined number for the fan motor and LEDs? or the LEDs draw a separate amount? I am planning on using 9x Corsair QL120 fans so that's a power draw of 2.7amps.

Edited by bono2099

8 hours ago, bono2099 said:

You are correct. The SATA connector max amp is 4.5. The MAX power per Fan header is 1Amp.

I know the QL120 fans draw 0.3amps. Though is it a combined number for the fan motor and LEDs? or the LEDs draw a separate amount? I am planning on using 9x Corsair QL120 fans so that's a power draw of 2.7amps.

That is for the fan motor only. It is *not* for the RGB. I've measured it. You can do up to 7. More than that and you are risking a melted connector.

My original master plan was similar to Zottys’ with a comprehensive Desk and two PC RGB FAn/Strip setup, with all the strips on a dedicated PSU on an Alexa Plug controlled by an Alexa Show 5. A USB cable run from the Showcase Media Server rig back to the main gaming rig with iCUE. A default RGB profile configured but when my main rig is on, iCUE in that rig would take over control of all the RGB.

The spark of an idea that might change part of that plan was really wanting to use the now spare Elite Cappellix LED module freed up with the purchase of an Elite LCD upgrade kit for the H150i EC in my main rig. It would make a cool LED Corsair Logo mounted to the front of my Media Server case.

I Realised I’d need a Commander Core for that, which then made me think I could simplify the fan control and RGB fans and strips and assosciated lighting cores and Lighting pro’s and cables back to the main rig etc, if I actually bought a Commander Core XT for the Media Server. That could handle the Case and A500 air cooler fan control and their RGB via the temp probes and fan and fan rgb ports of the XT, the strips on the lighting channel and….yes….the spare Capellix LED module.

So far so good….however I could still like iCUE on the main rig to take control of all the RGB in the media server case especially with a music visuallizer.

So I guess the question is whether I can have an independently running iCUE software install and Commander Core XT on the 24/7 Media Server, but with a single USB connection back to the main rig which when on, the iCUE install of the main rig could take over control of the Media Servers Commander Core XT RGB?

Edited by Ca1ibos

Sorry, forum will no longer let me edit my post.

if I don’t connect the Media Servers Commander Core XT to the servers motherboard USB header at all but connect it to the servers Sata power, can a default profile be set for the Core XT running in the server that still allows temp based fan control by the XT via its temp sensors and a default RGB Fan and strip profile including for the Capellix LED module connected to it……

…..but with the Core XT’s USB header cable actually connected to the main gaming rig on the other side of the desk via a header to usb A convertor and usb A extension cable, iCUE on the main rig see’s it and can take control of all the RGB in the Servers Core XT when the main rig is on?

Forum is acting up!

…..or will the main rigs Commander Pro and Commander Core for my Eilte Cappelix in the main rig, conflict with the Core XT connected via usb extension from over in the media server? In other words, can one in effect run a Commander Pro, a Commander Core and a Commander Core XT all from a single instance of iCUE running on the main rig. (Remember though, the Core XT is actually getting 24/7 power via sata over on the Server.)

I have ordered a Corsair iCUE Commander Core XT that i got to monitor water temps in my custom loop. The new Asus Z690-I does not have a single temp header (But lots of RGB-headres of course!). I also have a EKWB 4.2 DDC pump, wich is running the loop. I have searched for quite some time now for a confirmation that DDC-pumps works with this controller. I'm sorry if someone allready asked this in the thread and i missed, and I'm grateful for any help with this issue! ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1000D case, currently with 10x LL120, 6x LL140, some pro strips - all loaded across three Commander Pros (the 1000D special CoPro and 2 retail CoPros).  All fans are attached through the RGB hubs that came with the sets, and driven off the CoPros.  Strips are attached Lighting Node Pros.

I am swapping out for 10x QL120 fans when I put in my EK Distro Plate in the front and migrate my rads up top.  The QL120 came with Lighting Node Cores.

Is there any reason to use these Lighting Node Cores for RGB control of the fans intead of the old RGB Hubs currently attached to my CoPros?  I can't seem to find an answer as to what the Lighting Node Core brings to the table versus what I already have in the existing RGB Hubs, everyone seems to want to compare it to the CoPro for some reason..

On 11/1/2021 at 6:42 AM, Najiko said:

I also have a EKWB 4.2 DDC pump, wich is running the loop. I have searched for quite some time now for a confirmation that DDC-pumps works with this controller.

It seems to vary a bit depending on the DDC model. Some will respond to a PWM signal for a variable fan curve. Others will only be viable by using a fixed speed set in CUE. However, with a DDC pump you have a good bit of pressure at lower pump speeds and can set a comfortable RPM and leave it there. In my experience, the EK DDC and D5 motors will need to be set at a fixed rpm. 

Edited by c-attack

Think i've got it answered.  Seems the Lighting Node Core is basically an RGB Hub + a Node Pro all in one.  So no need to connect it to the RGB port on a Commander Pro (one less cable) but otherwise given I wasn't using a Node Pro in the first place not a big change.

I might use them just to do something different, lord knows I've got enough Sata power and internal USB hubs to make it happen.

9 hours ago, Zone55555 said:

I can't seem to find an answer as to what the Lighting Node Core brings to the table versus what I already have in the existing RGB Hubs

Nothing on the surface. The reason it comes up so often is the original hardware system was Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro as the controller and then the RGB hub as the 5v lighting supply. All the fan types ran from this. Then with QL and now SP-Pro/Elite and ML-Elite the package is that tidier LN Core that is as you stated — the controller and lighting power in one package. There are overlapping control options that arose from the introduction of fans with a lot of LEDs and higher RGB current. 

The trade off is Core devices are only one channel (6 fans) vs 2 channels on the Pro devices. So which is preferable may come down to a puzzle piece game of what you can fit in the back with combinations of large, medium, small components. My preference is always for the Commander + hubs because it brings fan control and temp sensors, something I must have. Where the LN Core might be an asset is you already have both channels filled on your Commander and are adding more fans. Since the Core devices can’t do RGB strips, water blocks, or 3rd party RGB natively, that makes Commander Pro or LN Pro channels necessary for those while fans can be off loaded to Core devices for lighting. High RGB current fans like LL or QL are better off on a Commander or Core vs the LN Pro that has some current limitations. 

The final piece might be sequential order manipulation. For those that really like their lighting link visor or color wave patterns to move in a specific order through the case, there is a preset device order by type. Moving fans from a Commander to a Core or vice versa will change the lighting order when both devices are present. This is not something most people need to worry about, unless you really want that specific lighting link sequence. 

On 11/12/2021 at 6:29 AM, c-attack said:

Nothing on the surface. The reason it comes up so often is the original hardware system was Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro as the controller and then the RGB hub as the 5v lighting supply. All the fan types ran from this. Then with QL and now SP-Pro/Elite and ML-Elite the package is that tidier LN Core that is as you stated — the controller and lighting power in one package. There are overlapping control options that arose from the introduction of fans with a lot of LEDs and higher RGB current. 

The trade off is Core devices are only one channel (6 fans) vs 2 channels on the Pro devices. So which is preferable may come down to a puzzle piece game of what you can fit in the back with combinations of large, medium, small components. My preference is always for the Commander + hubs because it brings fan control and temp sensors, something I must have. Where the LN Core might be an asset is you already have both channels filled on your Commander and are adding more fans. Since the Core devices can’t do RGB strips, water blocks, or 3rd party RGB natively, that makes Commander Pro or LN Pro channels necessary for those while fans can be off loaded to Core devices for lighting. High RGB current fans like LL or QL are better off on a Commander or Core vs the LN Pro that has some current limitations. 

The final piece might be sequential order manipulation. For those that really like their lighting link visor or color wave patterns to move in a specific order through the case, there is a preset device order by type. Moving fans from a Commander to a Core or vice versa will change the lighting order when both devices are present. This is not something most people need to worry about, unless you really want that specific lighting link sequence. 

Thanks man.  I appreciate your time in explaining.  I'm very sold on the Commander Pros for all the reasons above, but I'm coming to like the Lighthing Node Cores over the oldschool RGB hubs or NodePros.

My new setup is going to look like this, until proven otherwise:

1000D Commander Pro - USB from mobo

Fan Ports 1-4 QL120 RPM control x4
Fan port 5 D5 Pump RPM*
USB1 - Lighting Node Core 1 - driving 4 QL120
USB2 - Feed the second CoPro
RGB1 - Case Lighting
RGB2 - 
Temp sensor from the Distro

Other Commander Pro - USB from the first CoPro

Fan Ports 1-6 QL120 RPM control x6
USB1 - Lighting Node Core 2 - driving 6 QL120
USB2 - Lighting Node Pro w/ 2 channels of RGB strips
RGB1 - Lighting Node Pro
RGB2 - 

I don't think I even need the third Commander Pro + Lighting Node Pro with how much I've slimmed down my fan setup.  I can transplant that to my other system along with the big collection of LL120s.   Nor do I really need all the extra channel support of extra NodePros beyond the single driving my strips, so I'll have a stack of those collecting dust lol.

* Can't see a reason it would see the Distro's D5 any different than the Corsair D5 it used to see, if it does i'll just drive the pumps off the mobo instead, no loss

Edited by Zone55555

If you are using QLs, I can't think of a reason to use the LN Pro at all.  It will shut off the second channel once you get to 4 fans on channel 1.  In a 1000D you are always going to have the Commanders, extra fans beyond 12 can be put onto PWM repeaters, and it's probably custom water cooling.  That makes using the LN Cores for fans a good idea while keeping some Com Core RGB channels in reserve for RGB blocks and strips.  

It's possible you will need a powered internal USB hub for all the devices.  The Commander Pro USB ports are pure passthrough with no device to device or power added.  With Intel motherboards it has a chance of working, but AMD boards can't handle multiple devices on an unpowered splitter (the Com Pro).  

Hello Community,

I decided that my dream machine would use Corsair products. The build has been a learning curve as this is my first liquid cooling. Finally settled on 6x QL140 for 2 rads in the 7000x case. So top and front is set with the rads and 4x QL120 on the side. Yes, it will be my christmas tree this year /grin. 

Anywho, I purchased another commander pro as the case comes with one and a pwm 6 slot repeater. I just installed the cpu block for AMD and the 3 pin connector would not fit in the commander pro. Swapped slots to be sure. However it would fit on an extention cable for 4pin. The cpu block would take the final slot making total 11 QL fans and 1 rgb cpu block.

Is this the proper connection using an extention cable or is there an adapter that can be used?

I also read that it is a suggestion based on experience to run the rad fans using the pwm repeater. 

i could use the repeater and remove the 2nd commander pro and install a lightning node. Just lacking experience and my brain is being overloaded from reading and looking at diagrams. 

Please let me know what is suggested so my system will purr.

Blewstar

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 4:13 AM, Blewstar said:

I just installed the cpu block for AMD and the 3 pin connector would not fit in the commander pro.

What 3 pin connector?  Nearly all cpu fan cooling systems are PWM 4-pin. Are you talking about a RGB cable?  That is not going to fit any Corsair product and was designed for the MB’s RGB connectors. If it’s 3 pins then it is a 5v D-RGB line. 

The Commander is you fan control. If you remove that, then you will need to use MB/BIOS controls. 

Had a question, i have a 1000D and i need some insights on zottys diagram he's using XSPC PWM hubs. I take the XSPC hubs provide the power to the fans themselves and allows to control all fans under one CM pro just for the speed? As for the lighting nodes its 6 per channel but in the diagram i see 4 nodes connect to 1 or am i confused? My setup is two 480 rads front push pull, two 360 rads top push pull, with 2 fans spacing the front from the top and two rear fans(All QL fans 120's). I have the Lighting node pro RGB sticks with extensions. I also have two 3090 RGB waterbloacks EK with two EK RGB reservoirs, and two flow RGB indicators. My question is with all the EK RGB can those connect to the commander pro as well? I've only got experience with 1 CP and 6 fans and this might be over my head. I bought 6 for this build forget the case came with one so i have 7. So my question is, how many CP's do you believe i may need for this build. I ordered 4 XSPC and they are on the way also some splitters but not sure if i bought enough. Also i bought this many CP's because i was under the impression one side would be one color and the other a different color since its a Ryzen/Nvidia build. Any advice, pointers, really dont want to starrt a fire and see smoke coming out the rear. Thanks again guys 🙂

If I have the heat sensors connected to the Commander Pro will these draw power away from the RGB strips? I know long chains can make the last strip flicker I just want to find out as I will just take the sensors out the case instead of pulling the desk out and doing cable management 😅

Those 10K thermistors use a nominal amount of energy.  It is not going to affect the Commander's performance and if there are any issues, it will be from something else.  Use as many as you like.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:13 PM, gio2vanni86 said:

Had a question, i have a 1000D and i need some insights on zottys diagram he's using XSPC PWM hubs. I take the XSPC hubs provide the power to the fans themselves and allows to control all fans under one CM pro just for the speed? As for the lighting nodes its 6 per channel but in the diagram i see 4 nodes connect to 1 or am i confused? My setup is two 480 rads front push pull, two 360 rads top push pull, with 2 fans spacing the front from the top and two rear fans(All QL fans 120's). I have the Lighting node pro RGB sticks with extensions. I also have two 3090 RGB waterbloacks EK with two EK RGB reservoirs, and two flow RGB indicators. My question is with all the EK RGB can those connect to the commander pro as well? I've only got experience with 1 CP and 6 fans and this might be over my head. I bought 6 for this build forget the case came with one so i have 7. So my question is, how many CP's do you believe i may need for this build. I ordered 4 XSPC and they are on the way also some splitters but not sure if i bought enough. Also i bought this many CP's because i was under the impression one side would be one color and the other a different color since its a Ryzen/Nvidia build. Any advice, pointers, really dont want to starrt a fire and see smoke coming out the rear. Thanks again guys 🙂

Yes, the PWM Fan Hubs provide power and PWM signal to the fans, controlled by one header to the Commander Pro. Any powered PWM fan hub should do the trick.

For the RGB, Zotty's using Fan Hub Splitters to put multiple RGB Fan LED Hubs on a single Commander Pro Lighting Channel. Each hub is identical ... which makes for perfectly mirrored effects. This is one thing that you can't do with the Lighting Node Core.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question: What is the best way to connect 7 LL120-fans and 4 RGB strips? Commander Pro or Commander Pro XT?

Current setup is the following: 6 LL120-fans + 4 RGB strips. The 6 fans are connected to 2x Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub, and the strips to 1x Lightning Node Pro. 

I want to connect 1 additional LL120-fan (so 7 in total). The goal is to control the speed all 7 fans and to set the lighting of the 7 fans and the RGB strips to the same color. 

Thanks in advance.