Corsair Community

Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ

Zotty

Hello, I was hoping I could get some help. I am attempting to add 2 350mm LS100 strips inside my case but they are not lighting up. I currently have:

3QL120 connected to a lightning node core which is connected to a commander pro via usb.

2ML140 connected to an RGB LED hub which is connected to an LED port on the commander pro.

I connected the two LS100 strips to each other and then to the other LED port on the commander pro but they are not functioning. I have assigned them in iCUE but still no luck. HOw do I need to hook these up for them to work or what additional piece would I need to buy? Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, DevBiker said:

Yes, the PWM Fan Hubs provide power and PWM signal to the fans, controlled by one header to the Commander Pro. Any powered PWM fan hub should do the trick.

For the RGB, Zotty's using Fan Hub Splitters to put multiple RGB Fan LED Hubs on a single Commander Pro Lighting Channel. Each hub is identical ... which makes for perfectly mirrored effects. This is one thing that you can't do with the Lighting Node Core.

Thanks for the reply wasn't sure if anyone was still following this post. How will the nodes will connect together. Do you still supply the nodes with a Sata power? Also mine dont have the 3 or 4 pin prong they used to come with, they sport a USB header now. Does the USB header need to be connected or not? Just ordered some RGB splitters from piratedog and they should be here pretty quick just curious about those headers since theirs no communication without the 3/4 pin prongs that used to connect them together. Thanks again appreciate it.

Edited by gio2vanni86

Yes, the PWM Fan Hubs provide power and PWM signal to the fans, controlled by one header to the Commander Pro. Any powered PWM fan hub should do the trick.

For the RGB, Zotty's using Fan Hub Splitters to put multiple RGB Fan LED Hubs on a single Commander Pro Lighting Channel. Each hub is identical ... which makes for perfectly mirrored effects. This is one thing that you can't do with the Lighting Node Core.

Do I need to buy the hub ones instead of the ones that came with the fans?

16420605432885679640288681314482.jpg

Your picture is of a Lighting Node Core. Hub splitters won't work with it as it requires a USB connection.

FIlling up a 1000D using all LNCs is probably technically possible but it's not something that I, personally, would be super-excited about. You'll need a bunch of internal USB ports.

Unfortunately, Fan Hubs are getting harder to find; Corsair, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to discontinue them. I posted about that here but none of the other forum users really seemed to care about it. However, lack of Fan Hubs will make a fully loaded 1000D build pretty painful.

11 hours ago, DevBiker said:

Your picture is of a Lighting Node Core. Hub splitters won't work with it as it requires a USB connection.

FIlling up a 1000D using all LNCs is probably technically possible but it's not something that I, personally, would be super-excited about. You'll need a bunch of internal USB ports.

Unfortunately, Fan Hubs are getting harder to find; Corsair, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to discontinue them. I posted about that here but none of the other forum users really seemed to care about it. However, lack of Fan Hubs will make a fully loaded 1000D build pretty painful.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah I've noticed it's not on their site I've checked as well. I do remember their other hubs because Ive had the sp and HD fans.. i do see some sites selling them, kind of short on time this build is a mess because of amount of devices needed and it's my first water cooled pc so it's been quite the journey and I really want it to be over.. I just hope I have enough amps on my evga psu to power that many devices. I have 24amps for my +3 n +5 if not I may have to short-circuit a smaller psu to power this setup up if it doesn't power up. Hopefully some day corsair will make a product that solves this amount of wires and hubs/c pros. My original plan was to wire this many but the amps part scared me and I was trying to copy zottys but yeah the Hubs dont have that link  so I wasted quite a bit of money, my stupid fault. Over thinker. Thanks again for the reply. I'll see in a few days how it goes. Thanks again 😁

16421196686027454693689082831895.jpg

Well, for the +5V load, Corsair does have the 5V Load Balancer (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/CORSAIR-%2B5V-Load-Balancer/p/CP-8920275).

As long as you have a spare PCIe slot and cable, it'll work with the EVGA PSU. Just don't use the PCIe cable that comes with the load balancer - use one from your PSU.

• Like 1

I would appreciate some help optimizing my wiring, it's gotten a bit unwieldy and I could use some expert advice.

Case is Corsair 5000D
MSI Pro Z690 DDR4
XC7 CPU Block
XD5 Pump/Res
EKWB Red Devil GPU Block
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x16 (probably not relevant but they are in the ecosystem)
Commander Pro
Commander Core XT
Lighting Node Pro
3 ML120s Pro
6 QL120s
1 AF120

Extra Items Available on Hand: Lighting Node Core, Lighting Node Pro, RGB Fan LED Hub

XC7 is Connected to daisy chain connector on the XD5 Pump.
XD5 Pump is plugged into LED 1 on Commander Pro

Lightning Node Core is daisy chained to the Commander Core XT
Commander Core XT is plugged into Mobo

Commander Pro is connected directly to Mobo

iCUE is updated as well as all the devices connected
MSI Mystic Light is set to NOT override any software controls. Bios is updated
HWMonitor has Corsair turned off in settings, but my issues below happen without running HWMonitor

Issues I am currently having:

1. ML120 fans are running limited lighting (I understand this is because I mixed fan types on my lighting node core (I suspect I should run the 3 ML120s to the Commander Core XT so that it only has those 3 fans connected
  2. Fans 7, 8, 9, and 1 are acting bizarre in iCUE, I can set them to Extreme and they ramp up, but I cannot turn them off using a custom preset of "Fan Off" using RPM, %, or custom curve or by setting them to the Zero RPM default preset

Bonus Question: I have an ARGB to Corsair 3 Pin adapter coming, my plan is to plug the EKWB GPU block 3 pin into Commander Pro LED 2 and set it to an RGB Pro strip (EKWB has 9 ARGB LEDs, so the Strip was the closest with 10)

I appreciate any and all help and advice

spacer.png

And for posterity, here is my loop, just finished yesterday, first loop, be gentle please.

spacer.png

On 1/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, DevBiker said:

Well, for the +5V load, Corsair does have the 5V Load Balancer (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/CORSAIR-%2B5V-Load-Balancer/p/CP-8920275).

As long as you have a spare PCIe slot and cable, it'll work with the EVGA PSU. Just don't use the PCIe cable that comes with the load balancer - use one from your PSU.

Thanks devbiker. Does that provide power from a different source? 🤔 its what I was looking for but never found one, don't want open the psu shroud but if it gives me more from a different rail awesome. Just ordered thanks again man I really do appreciate it. Still wiring this mess and been so busy at work hardly have time for this build. Thanks again 😊

16429798971411173575835654338012.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, DevBiker said:

Also do you or anyone know first time doing this and all, I know I short the 24 pin to run the loop before I can plug to the main board but can I still connect the 8+4 pin to the board and the 24 pins to the gpus when I run the loop? Thanks again. 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, Likwidflux said:

I would appreciate some help optimizing my wiring, it's gotten a bit unwieldy and I could use some expert advice.

Case is Corsair 5000D
MSI Pro Z690 DDR4
XC7 CPU Block
XD5 Pump/Res
EKWB Red Devil GPU Block
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x16 (probably not relevant but they are in the ecosystem)
Commander Pro
Commander Core XT
Lighting Node Pro
3 ML120s Pro
6 QL120s
1 AF120

Extra Items Available on Hand: Lighting Node Core, Lighting Node Pro, RGB Fan LED Hub

HWMonitor has Corsair turned off in settings, but my issues below happen without running HWMonitor

1. ML120 fans are running limited lighting (I understand this is because I mixed fan types on my lighting node core (I suspect I should run the 3 ML120s to the Commander Core XT so that it only has those 3 fans connected
  2. Fans 7, 8, 9, and 1 are acting bizarre in iCUE, I can set them to Extreme and they ramp up, but I cannot turn them off using a custom preset of "Fan Off" using RPM, %, or custom curve or by setting them to the Zero RPM default preset

Bonus Question: I have an ARGB to Corsair 3 Pin adapter coming, my plan is to plug the EKWB GPU block 3 pin into Commander Pro LED 2 and set it to an RGB Pro strip (EKWB has 9 ARGB LEDs, so the Strip was the closest with 10)

spacer.png

And for posterity, here is my loop, just finished yesterday, first loop, be gentle please.

spacer.png

I have no idea what you need but just out of being a noob myself to water cooling, nice setup and all man😉🙃was curious is that soft tubing? I honestly wish i just went that route. Looks really clean, almost cant tell really. I like it. 12mm? barb fittings? Good setup, i wish i didnt spend money on compressed fittings, would of been cheaper had i gone soft, not to mention bending and cutting acrylic tubes is really a mess of a world i wish i never dealt with. I'm sure one these awesome people will help you, even though we almost hijacked this post but they've been really cool.

• 2 weeks later...

ignore this post lol

Edited by Zotty

On 1/17/2022 at 7:32 PM, Likwidflux said:

Case is Corsair 5000D
MSI Pro Z690 DDR4
XC7 CPU Block
XD5 Pump/Res
EKWB Red Devil GPU Block
Commander Pro
Commander Core XT
Lighting Node Pro
3 ML120s Pro
6 QL120s
1 AF120

spacer.png

spacer.png

so

RGB..

first thing i would change it to group your fans so all the QL's are on the same RGB devices.. Core or LNP... have them so fan one is bottom front and they count up and over the top towards the back,, this will help effects play correctly..

then have all the ML fans on same device (side fans?) same again.. will play effects better...

Power and curves..

what is your temp source..  if not already. use fluid temp as the control. after all. its the fluid you are trying to control. sources such and cpu package fluctuate a lot and result in fans ramping up and down.. as said.  temp source should be the liquid.

Hope this helps.

So, come July, I am planning on building my next PC. It will feature my first attempt at a custom loop. It will also feature a ton of RGB/A-RGB lighting. Namely:

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL ROG Edition - White
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z690-A
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 8GB x4 - White
CPU Block: EK Quantum Velocity² D-RGB LGA1700
GPU Block: EK Quantum Vector XC3 RTX 3080/3090
Distro plate: EK Quantum Reflection PC-O11D XL D5
Fans: Lian Li Unifan AL120 x6 ( + another 6 for push/pull on the two rads )
GPU Backplate: A custom backplate by a company called V1Tech
A custom rear plate and bottom plate by the same company as above
A GPU Anti-Sag bracket with RGB lighting and a built-in display for monitoring system stats
Lian LI Strimer Plus 24-Pin A-RGB Cable
Lian Li Strimer Plus Triple 8-Pin A-RGB Cable
Corsair LS100 450mm light strips x4 ( Preferably controlled by one of my Commander Pros )
24-30 of the LED strips that come with the NoPro, powered by an external PSU
Corsair MM800 RGB Mousepad
Corsair MM900 Polaris mousepad
Corsair ST100 Headset stand
Corsair Dark Core Pro Mouse
Corsair K95 Platinum XT Keyboard
Razer Kraken Kitty 
3x Corsair Commander Pro
5x Corsair Lighting Node Pro
Various other cables

My questions are thus: 

1) I know the NoPros that are going outside the case need to be powered by an external PSU, but how do they connect to the PC by USB? To my understanding, they need to be connected to the internal USB 2.0 header, which means either the one on the mobo, or one of the ones on the Commander Pros? Or can I connect them directly to the USB ports on the back of the PC?

2) Is it possible to extend the length of the LED strips that come with the NoPro, so that you could potentially run six of them off of the one control unit to shelves as seen in the hutch part of this desk?

3) Given I intend to connect 2 of the NoPros, and the anti-sag bracket to the USB connectors of the Commander Pros, and then have them run off either one or two headers on the mobo with a header splitter, will I have enough lighting/usb headers on the three Commander Pros and 2 NoPros, to also connect the custom GPU backplate, rear plate, bottom plate, anti-sag bracket ( for lighting ), the distro block, and the GPU/CPU blocks as well? Or will I need to invest in one or two extra?

4) Is it possible to run all of the above via iCue, or is there some other software I can use that will unify all of them? I have heard good things about a software called SignalRGB, but ideally, I would prefer to run all this through iCue.

Thank you in advance for reading this, and for any replies received!

-Nata

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, Corsair Angie said:

55225785_5V_ACCESSORY_MODULE_07@300bby.thumb.jpg.d5ae7b0da0790cdd3f0273fd9765230c.jpg

Hey everyone,

We're excited to present to you a first in line of DIY product accessories with the CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER. Setups are customizable and easier than ever before.  

What does it do?

• Balances your power load on your PSU which can be caused from many lighting devices, accessories, and drive setups.

Why do I need it?

• Multiple plugged devices can increase noise and heat from the power supply, even when idle so the CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER was created to draw power from the heavy-duty +12V rail, helping to balance the power load ensuring the PSU remains cool and quiet.

How will my system benefit from this? 

• Your system will benefit from this as it re-allocates power from the +12V rail to the +5V rail, giving more breathing room for your system. You will be able to fill your PC with ample lighting devices, accessories, and more without worry of overheat and noises.

Click here for more information. We’ve put together a quick FAQ below.

Q: Is this easy to install?
A: The CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER is easy to install as it comes with included screws and fits into nearly any 3.5in HDD tray. It comes with a single EPS12V input and up to 8x SATA and 4x PATA outputs. 

Q: How does it connect to my PSU?
A: You can connect it to your CORSAIR Power Supply as it uses an 8-pin PCIe or EPS12V modular connector. 

Let us know your comments and thoughts? 

Some how when i plugged in my psu, the corsair load balancer when connected to my power supply my psu wont turn on. I didnt smell anything burned but once i unplug the load balancer and turn it on again my psu finally turns on the fan off eco mode but doesnt supply any power to any device. Bad PSU? or did i burn it out?

Hello Friend Zotty
I have a white Corsair 5000x
I'm using 3 original coolers
the case already comes with a Lighting Node CORE and a PWM repeater
recently acquired...
commander core xt
kit 4 coolers LL120
Lighting Node PRO (I would like to connect non-corsair peripherals via adapter cable)
Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub
what would be the best setup for me
thank you very much in advance

On 2/16/2022 at 10:10 PM, gio2vanni86 said:

Some how when i plugged in my psu, the corsair load balancer when connected to my power supply my psu wont turn on. I didnt smell anything burned but once i unplug the load balancer and turn it on again my psu finally turns on the fan off eco mode but doesnt supply any power to any device. Bad PSU? or did i burn it out?

What PSU do you have? How is the load balancer connected to it?

That sounds like OCP/Short Circuit protection kicking. That could be from using the wrong cables.

Where can I find a load Balancer in Europe, is corsair the only one selling such a device. I have a ton of fans, rgb strips. My problem is that is use a lot of usb 2.0 internally and externally. Flight simmer. Flight controls, button boxes, usb mini screens........  Grtz

3 hours ago, KRUEGER77 said:

Where can I find a load Balancer in Europe, is corsair the only one selling such a device. I have a ton of fans, rgb strips. My problem is that is use a lot of usb 2.0 internally and externally. Flight simmer. Flight controls, button boxes, usb mini screens........  Grtz

AFAIK, Corsair is the only one selling this. I do think that, in general, the industry is in complete denial of the issue.

One thing that you might look at, though, to help out is a high quality, powered USB hub. The Corsair one is quite good, especially with the high speed uplink, but there are others as well. The biggest challenge that I've had is finding good, powered USB 3.1 Gen 2 hubs that don't have a display adapter or network or other stuff that I don't need.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:14 AM, arnaldo morales orlandini said:

Hello Friend Zotty
I have a white Corsair 5000x
I'm using 3 original coolers
the case already comes with a Lighting Node CORE and a PWM repeater
recently acquired...
commander core xt
kit 4 coolers LL120
Lighting Node PRO (I would like to connect non-corsair peripherals via adapter cable)
Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub
what would be the best setup for me
thank you very much in advance

hey buddy.. Take a read of the 5000x Faq also,., may give you some ideas 🙂

Hi guys, I'm building my first PC I have the Corsair 5000x case which comes with 3sp fans I'm replacing with 3ML Elite Fans, as well as the lighting node, and pwm fan node, I have the H150i elite capellix AIO which comes w 3ML elite fans as well so I was going to use the commander core from the AIO for these 6 fans. My issue is I also have 3QL fans I was going to mount in my case unfortunately until doing some digging I didn't know about the difference in lighting and how it runs with the Icue software depending on fan models I was wondering if I use light node that comes with the extra fans and pwm fan node that comes with the case and plug them into different USB ports than my commander core on my motherboard will the ICUE software recognize the difference in model fans or will it bug out or how should I go about fixing this without having to buy 3 more ML fans? A diagram would be greatly appreciated if at all possible thanks guys!!

Hi guys!

It's been around 12+ years since I built my last PC (having purchased pre-built ones), so a lot of things have changed in that time - including RGB of course!

So I recently decided to bite the bullet this time round and went ahead and bought the just released Corsair 5000T case along with a Hydro X hardline custom loop, and a bunch of RGB fans 🙂

I haven't started my build yet as I wanted to make sure that everything made sense before I started putting things together.

That's why I'm here asking for your expert help. I've been seeing @Zotty's many wiring diagrams, FAQs and posts, and they've inspired me to create my own diagram which I've shared in this post.

The main components relevant to this post are below:

• Corsair 5000T case, including
    • 3x LL120 RGB fans
    • Commander Core XT
    • Chassis Light Controller
  • 3x LL120 RGB fans mounted to a 360mm radiator (top-mounted)
  • 3x LL120 RGB fans mounted to a 360mm radiator (side-mounted)
  • 1x LL120 RGB fan mounted to the back of the case
  • Lighting Node Pro
  • RGB Hub
  • XC7 CPU Watercooler
  • XD5 Pump & Reservoir
  • Future GPU Watercooler 

I've got a few questions for you guys please:

1. Does the wiring diagram make sense? Is there anything you would change?
  2. Would swapping out the Lighting Node Pro and RGB Hub with a Commander Pro be better?
    1. I'm assuming that I would be able to control the fan speeds better in this way, by utilising iCUE instead of the motherboard PWM connections.

Any expert help would be appreciated!!

spacer.png

8 hours ago, iljott said:

Hi guys!

It's been around 12+ years since I built my last PC (having purchased pre-built ones), so a lot of things have changed in that time - including RGB of course!

So I recently decided to bite the bullet this time round and went ahead and bought the just released Corsair 5000T case along with a Hydro X hardline custom loop, and a bunch of RGB fans 🙂

I haven't started my build yet as I wanted to make sure that everything made sense before I started putting things together.

That's why I'm here asking for your expert help. I've been seeing @Zotty's many wiring diagrams, FAQs and posts, and they've inspired me to create my own diagram which I've shared in this post.

The main components relevant to this post are below:

• Corsair 5000T case, including
    • 3x LL120 RGB fans
    • Commander Core XT
    • Chassis Light Controller
  • 3x LL120 RGB fans mounted to a 360mm radiator (top-mounted)
  • 3x LL120 RGB fans mounted to a 360mm radiator (side-mounted)
  • 1x LL120 RGB fan mounted to the back of the case
  • Lighting Node Pro
  • RGB Hub
  • XC7 CPU Watercooler
  • XD5 Pump & Reservoir
  • Future GPU Watercooler 

I've got a few questions for you guys please:

1. Does the wiring diagram make sense? Is there anything you would change?
  2. Would swapping out the Lighting Node Pro and RGB Hub with a Commander Pro be better?
    1. I'm assuming that I would be able to control the fan speeds better in this way, by utilising iCUE instead of the motherboard PWM connections.

Any expert help would be appreciated!!

spacer.png

Excellent Diagram! nice work buddy.. and yes that would work.,

if i was to change anything. i would add 2 x powered PWM repeaters to run the 2 banks of rad fans off of..  this would allow you to have control of all fans in icue via the commander core XT, each bank of 3 fans would appear as a single fan in icue. rather than having 4 fans controlled by motherboard software.

something like this

-CC-8900355-Gallery-CC8900355-1.png

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Carbide-678C-6-port-PWM-Repeater/p/CC-8900355

1 hour ago, Zotty said:

Excellent Diagram! nice work buddy.. and yes that would work.,

if i was to change anything. i would add 2 x powered PWM repeaters to run the 2 banks of rad fans off of..  this would allow you to have control of all fans in icue via the commander core XT, each bank of 3 fans would appear as a single fan in icue. rather than having 4 fans controlled by motherboard software.

something like this

-CC-8900355-Gallery-CC8900355-1.png

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Carbide-678C-6-port-PWM-Repeater/p/CC-8900355

Hey Buddy! Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly @Zotty! Really appreciate your time & comment 🙂 

Just for me to make sure I'm understanding the layout, would the 2x PWM repeaters connect to the Commander XT PWM slots 4 & 5 (obviously instead of the side rad fan PWMs)? So for example, the PWM repeater connected to Channel 4 would then be used for the 3x Side fans & the one connected to Channel 5 would be used for the 3x Top fans?

If so, I'll update my diagram and post it here, as it may help someone else with a similar setup.

yes spot on mate.. each repeater would present 3 fans as a single one at the CoCoXT which in turn free's up headers on said CoCoXT 🙂

as an example... i run 32 fans from a single Commander Pro

Q2bE2bm.jpg

to add.. i have a 5000T faq going so posting your experience in there would be helpful to other 5000T owners.