Corsair Community

Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ

Zotty

What would you recommend to connect to iCue the following below?

1000D Case

16 QL 120 in front

2 QL 120 in the rear

6 QL 140 on top

2 XD5 pump/reservoir

1 XC7 CPU block

1 XG7 GPU block

1 HX1200i

Hey, first time posting something, so tell me if i'm doing anything wrong here :)

This may be a stupid question, but what are those diagrams drawn with? or is it just basic ms paint?

Zotty's are all MSPaint. He takes MSPaint to a whole new level.

I used to do some in Visio but haven't updated the stencil in a while.

lol.. yeah all MS paint. been my go to diagram tool with easy access for a few decades now. doesn't require a super computer to run it, easy to share.. easy to edit on any machine for any person. sometimes simple is the way forward. imho.

I generally make all my diagrams here clickable to the full res version on imgur. so those that want to alter them to suit their own build needs can do so.

Edited by Zotty

Just to clarify, if I connect my Commander Core through the USB port on my Commander Pro, iCUE will see them as two distinct controllers? I am looking to keep my LL120/140mm case fans on the Pro and use the Core for my H150i pump and the fans that come with it. Also, it is my understanding that iCUE recognizes the Core as an AIO when the pump is connected through it and Core when just the fans are connected?

Just to clarify, if I connect my Commander Core through the USB port on my Commander Pro, iCUE will see them as two distinct controllers? I am looking to keep my LL120/140mm case fans on the Pro and use the Core for my H150i pump and the fans that come with it. Also, it is my understanding that iCUE recognizes the Core as an AIO when the pump is connected through it and Core when just the fans are connected?

Yes, it will recognize it as a separate device. It'll appear as the cooler (if it is attached) or as a Commander Core (w/o cooler).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there @Zotty, I see that you have guides everywhere and would love your input on my fan configuration regarding my build as I can't find it anywhere, I am running a lianli o11 dynamic and was wondering how I would go about setting up my fans? I have 3 QL120s and 3 fans that came with my h150i for a total of 6, I have the node from the AIO and also a commander pro, an rgb hub that came with the QL 120s triples pack, thank you! Would be great if you could include the optional 3 fans more if I ever decide to upgrade the fans any further! :D

If you have 6 QL fans on the Lighting Node Pro then you can not use the other RGB Channel. it becomes unavailable in iCUE

Does this also apply to the Commander Node Pro's LED RGB Channels? The second RGB channel of the Commander Node Pro would be used for 4x RGB Pro Strips. 

Edited by Sumidian

15 hours ago, Sumidian said:

Does this also apply to the Commander Node Pro's LED RGB Channels? The second RGB channel of the Commander Node Pro would be used for 4x RGB Pro Strips. 

This does not apply to the Commander Pro. I assume you mean the Commander Pro as there is no "Commander Node Pro".

Thank you! And yes that is what I meant. It is getting hard to keep track of the names of these products now! 

Untitled.thumb.png.31a0acfe15293f57dcf26461dccfe2a6.png

This is the RGB setup I am going for and I'm fairly confident this will work. So I only ended up needing 4QLs on the Commander Pro but it is good to know for future upgrades. If anyone sees any glaring mistakes here please let me know and I would be very grateful.

@Sumidian - your diagram looks good. One question - why are you controlling the backplates with the motherboard and not iCUE as well?

5 hours ago, DevBiker said:

@Sumidian - your diagram looks good. One question - why are you controlling the backplates with the motherboard and not iCUE as well?

I did some digging, and as far as I could tell, iCue will not be able to control my new Asus 3080ti Strix GPU RGB. So I will need the Asus RGB software anyways, so might as well save on some splitters, adapters, and use the two motherboard addressable headers. And then it kind of 'makes' sense to have all the Asus stuff, and the backplates, in one little bundle, rather than just the GPU. 

Now if I can control that GPU RGB with iCue than yeah that is a different story, but, from what I researched on this forum that is not possible. 

Sorry if this has been posted already in this thread, but what is the best way to connect all of these:

• H100i Elite Cappeliix
  • 6x QL120
  • RGB LED Lightning Pro

The H100i comes with a Commander Core unit. Do I need to replace that with a Commander Pro? Or is there a way to attach everything without buying a new controller?

I was also looking at the LS100 Smart Lighting Strip. Would those be a better option than the RGB LED Lighting Pro? I plan on using the strips inside the case though and from I can tell, the LS100 require an external power source and can't use SATA. 

Any suggestions? 

Your cooler comes with the Commander Core. You absolutely need to use that for the cooler. Period.

The RGB for the QL fans can be controlled by the Commander Core (probably easiest) or by one of the Lighting Node Cores that comes with the QL fan multipacks. It's up to you but using the Commander Core is probably easiest.

If you want to use LS100 strips inside the case, you can connect them to either a Lighting Node Pro or a Commander Pro, neither of which you'll have at this point. So you don't need to use the LS100 controller at all (you can just get the expansion kits for the LS100) BUT ... you'll need to get a hold of either an LNP or a CoPro. The LNPs will come with 4-packs of strips or multipacks of LL-RGB or ML-RGB fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. I've got the below new parts on order that should arrive in the next few days and, despite a tonne of reading/watching, I just can't get my head around what it is I will need to do in order to get everything hooked up properly.

Reading this here guide from Zotty and also this article is probably the closest I have come to figuring it out, but with having a couple more fans in the mix (a total of 11) and all the different hub/controller product names thrown in too, I'm well and truly baffled.

Here's the parts I need to consider:

• 1x H115i ELITE CAPELLIX AiO (incl. 1x Commander Core)
  • 2x ML RGB radiator fans
  • 9x LL RGB case fans (incl. 3x Lighting Node PRO and 3x RGB Lighting Hub - 3 packs of 3)
  • I don't have any LED strips.

The diagram showing 12x fans that @Zotty posted here is the latest thing I'm trying to go by, but this shows a Commander *Pro* - do I need to buy & use that instead of the included Commander *Core*? Seen your comment above @DevBiker about absolutely needing to use the Commander *Core* - but that's only confused me more.

Really appreciate any guidance on this, thanks.

Edited by H0NEYL00PS
Forgot to say the fans were all RGB

Going by a configuration that's 3 years old isn't always a good idea. It can confuse things more because it's not the same devices and the ecosystem has grown quite a bit since then.

You absolutely need to use the Commander Core. If you don't, your pump won't work at all. It's just that simple. You cannot use a Commander Pro in its place.

For the radiator fans, connect the RGB to the Commander Core. That's 2 fans down.

For the LL case fans, split the 9 across 2 channels/2 fan hubs. Could be 6-3 or 5-4 - depends on what works best for the layout. That's the RGB for the rest of the fans. This will use 2 channels on a single Lighting Node Pro and 2 Fan Hubs.

For the PWM (fan speed) control, you can put the radiator fans on a 2-way splitter. That will control both fans as one. For the rest of the fans, you'll need a powered PWM Hub. Put a set of the LL case fans on there. They will also be controlled as a single fan.

The rest of the LL fans (say, 3 of them, assuming 6 are on the PWM hub) can go directly on the Commander Core.

Hello, first time posting here. 

So im trying to figure out how the channels work on the commander core. As far as I can tell the lighting node core has 6 seperate channels that can be controlled individually via icue and the rgb fan hub is just a daisy chain.

My question is how does the commander core handle this. I assume since it's got its own usb connection it will work the same as the node core but I want to confirm. 

Also I saw on the pinned comment that you don't want to mix fan types with the rgb fan hub. I'm also assuming that this is not an issue with either the node or commander core. 

Thanks in advance for any info. 

17 hours ago, shnm38 said:

Hello, first time posting here. 

So im trying to figure out how the channels work on the commander core. As far as I can tell the lighting node core has 6 seperate channels that can be controlled individually via icue and the rgb fan hub is just a daisy chain.

My question is how does the commander core handle this. I assume since it's got its own usb connection it will work the same as the node core but I want to confirm. 

The Commander Core doesn't have six channels - it is actually somewhat different implementation than you see in the "classic" channels. Each fan is individually controllable but that's also true on any Lighting Channel, even with a fan hub. The difference with the Commander Core is that you don't need to ensure that the ports are connected in order - each port only gets the data signal for the fan that's on the port. The node core, like the fan hub, is a daisy-chain.

17 hours ago, shnm38 said:

Also I saw on the pinned comment that you don't want to mix fan types with the rgb fan hub. I'm also assuming that this is not an issue with either the node or commander core.

You don't want to mix fans on the Commander Core either. It'll work but it will configure the fans as whichever fan has the most LEDs. At this time, only the Commander Core XT that comes with the 7000X case supports mixed fans.

Okay great thank you. Lot of good info there. I had planned on moving the sp120's that came with my 5000x to the side intake.

I've already modded the case to fit my three ml140's in the front and one in the rear of the case along with the two on my h115i that will go up top. I've just gone ahead and ordered the 3 pack of ml120's for the side so mixed fans isn't an issue anymore. I prefer the look of the ml over the sp fans anyways tbh and I don't think the focused airflow would benefit me any with it coming in from the side. 

Got ahold of a commander core and had planned to run all 6 front and side fans directly to that since I didn't care for the position or look of the exposed pcb with the included hubs. Planning on leaving the cable management door off and sort of showcasing and lighting (ls100) that side as well.

Having the commander core along with the commander pro should help clean things up pretty well and in the end it'll all be connected similar to this. 

Screenshot_20210826-114544_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f1a79370c3abc576c827906eef1fec11.jpg

Don't know if you care about any of that lol just trying to give the full story in case you think there's anything I may be missing or that could help. 

One wrinkle - the MLs that come with the Capellix cooler and the ML PRO RGB that come in the 3 packs are different fans. The Capellix MLs (aka ML "Elite" for lack of a better designation) are 8 LED fans, like the SP-PRO and SP-Elite. The ML PRO RGB are 4 LED fans.

2 hours ago, DevBiker said:

One wrinkle - the MLs that come with the Capellix cooler and the ML PRO RGB that come in the 3 packs are different fans. The Capellix MLs (aka ML "Elite" for lack of a better designation) are 8 LED fans, like the SP-PRO and SP-Elite. The ML PRO RGB are 4 LED fans.

Yeah sorry I meant to mention this and wanted to edit but didn't see the ability. I have the previous version of the h115i (platinum?) which is why I had to track down a standalone commander core. They're all the same 4 led ml fans aside from the three new ones being 120mm.

1 hour ago, shnm38 said:

Yeah sorry I meant to mention this and wanted to edit but didn't see the ability. I have the previous version of the h115i (platinum?) which is why I had to track down a standalone commander core. They're all the same 4 led ml fans aside from the three new ones being 120mm.

Ah! OK, well then, all is good to go.

Hey @DevBiker, just wanted to say thanks for your response and giving me some guidance. I really appreciate it 🙂 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:40 AM, DevBiker said:

Going by a configuration that's 3 years old isn't always a good idea. It can confuse things more because it's not the same devices and the ecosystem has grown quite a bit since then.

Totally appreciate that - I hadn't actually clocked how old this thread was when I posted.

For the LL case fans, split the 9 across 2 channels/2 fan hubs. Could be 6-3 or 5-4 - depends on what works best for the layout. That's the RGB for the rest of the fans. This will use 2 channels on a single Lighting Node Pro and 2 Fan Hubs.

I didn't specify but the case I bought is an O11 Dynamic Mini, so space for all the cable management in the rear compartment was finite. I did fit everything as per your original recommendation, but I realised I could drop 1 of the RGB hubs in lieu of using 1 full hub + 5 RGB slots on the Commander Core. This satisfied my OCD as well, being able to evenly distribute based on fan groupings in the case 😂

For the PWM (fan speed) control, you can put the radiator fans on a 2-way splitter. That will control both fans as one. For the rest of the fans, you'll need a powered PWM Hub. Put a set of the LL case fans on there. They will also be controlled as a single fan.

The rest of the LL fans (say, 3 of them, assuming 6 are on the PWM hub) can go directly on the Commander Core.

In the same vein I was looking for ways to save space - and the PWM hub I bought took up a chunk of it. Fortunately, the board I got (MAG X570 Tomahawk) has a bunch of fan headers, so I was able to distribute everything between those and the Commander Core.

Thanks again,

H

*EDIT* I wish they made reversible options for fans so you can opt for which side the intake/exhaust flows (and not have to look at the frames on the back or the stickers).

IMG20210830172028.jpg

Edited by H0NEYL00PS
Wishful thinking
  • Like 1