Corsair Community

USB Connectivity Issues related to AMD 500 Series Chipsets - Megathread

I just built a machine, X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and my fan setup uses two corsair RGB hubs and the corsair commander pro.

Upgraded to the latest bios firmware (3601 released on 2021/06/16).

Still have the same issue, the RGB hubs are the devices that seem to disconnect/re-connect every few seconds, it honestly makes the machine pretty unusable, and I'm loath to spend more money on an internal USB hub, but looking at how long this issue is going on perhaps I have to?

I just built a machine, X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and my fan setup uses two corsair RGB hubs and the corsair commander pro.

Upgraded to the latest bios firmware (3601 released on 2021/06/16).

Still have the same issue, the RGB hubs are the devices that seem to disconnect/re-connect every few seconds, it honestly makes the machine pretty unusable, and I'm loath to spend more money on an internal USB hub, but looking at how long this issue is going on perhaps I have to?

TLDR - Just buck up and get a decent internal USB2.0 hub. They are not that expensive and usually solve this problem.

Your statement that your RGB hubs are experiencing USB disconnects confuses me because Corsair RGB hubs are passive devices that just loop the RGB Data Out to Data In on Corsair RGB fans. They have 6 RGB ports into which you plug the fan RGB cables, and a captive whip that plugs into an RGB port on a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro. RGB hubs don’t have any USB to disconnect. Are you referring to a Lighting Node Pro or Lighting Node Core? Those do have USB connections.

I also have a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero running Bios 3601. I decided against using icue or aura in this build, but I do have 7 QL series fans and 2 lighting node cores. They are both plugged into an Aquacomputer Hubby7 internal USB2.0 hub. I have not had any problems with USB disconnects. If the problem is making your computer unusable, just get an internal USB hub. They don’t cost much and do seem to solve this problem.

Corsair likes to blame it on AMD, but I have had commander pro and lighting node pro USB disconnect issues in 2 different Intel rigs - Haswell-E (i7-5820k) and Coffee Lake (i7-8700k). AMD X570 USB problems are widely reported but my experience is that Corsair Fan/RGB control devices have had USB problems long before X570.

If you do decide to try an internal USB hub, get an Aquacomputer Hubby7 or the latest NZXT. The NZXT is the more common choice but the Hubby7 is superior in several ways. If you really want to step up, get an Aquacomputer Quadro or Octo fan controller and maybe a Farbwerk360 RGB controller. That’s what I did after years of fighting with Corsair’s cheap-o hardware and bug ridden, resource sucking software. Aquacomputer’s AquaSuite software for fan control is light years beyond icue. Their RBGpx platform is also really good, and unlike Corsair, they support connecting other manufacturer’s products through devices like the Splitty4 which is specifically designed to connect Corsair or NZXT RGB fans to an Aquacomputer RGBpx port.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

TLDR - Just buck up and get a decent internal USB2.0 hub. They are not that expensive and usually solve this problem.

This isn't really the point, people shouldn't need to spend more money because there is a hardware work around. The root cause should be addressed. However given the lack of meaningful action from any party I did, as you describe in your reply go for the NZXT hub. I can confirm it is a successful work around.

Your statement that your RGB hubs are experiencing USB disconnects confuses me because Corsair RGB hubs are passive devices that just loop the RGB Data Out to Data In on Corsair RGB fans.

Perhaps saying "USB" disconnects was the wrong wording, but the RGB hubs are the devices that can be seen disappearing and reappearing in the devices UI, the commander pro seems to stay available. I don't really know why this is, but I was just describing what I saw.

Edited by localtoast

This isn't really the point, people shouldn't need to spend more money because there is a hardware work around. The root cause should be addressed. However given the lack of meaningful action from any party I did, as you describe in your reply go for the NZXT hub. I can confirm it is a successful work around.

Perhaps saying "USB" disconnects was the wrong wording, but the RGB hubs are the devices that can be seen disappearing and reappearing in the devices UI, the commander pro seems to stay available. I don't really know why this is, but I was just describing what I saw.

Glad to hear that adding an NZXT internal USB hub solved your problems. You are 100% correct. You should not have to buy an additional component to make these devices work properly. I have been fighting with Corsair USB ports for years. It got to the point where I just assumed I would need to provide an internal USB hub, and also not use the 2 USB ports on the Commander Pro. They have never worked properly.

Regarding your LED hubs, I was not trying to be pedantic, just trying to clearly understand the problem. While AMD X570 and similar chipsets do have USB stability problems, Corsair USB problems far predate Ryzen. There are posts on this forum going back years reporting Commander Pro USB port problems. Corsair never did anything about it then, and now that they can blame AMD, I seriously doubt that they are going to do anything about it now. I solved the problem by not using Corsair fan or RGB controllers.

It's the USB hub in the commander pro that's the issue. Anything connected to the two USB ports on the commander pro will connect/disconnect as that USB hub does. The devices connected to it aren't the issue.

I had an old commander pro that I had zero issues with. Got a new commander pro with a new Obsidian 500D RGB case and started having issues. I should have kept the old commander pro as it worked perfectly with the same X470 board.

If it's a Ryzen chipset thing, I don't understand why the old one worked and this newer one doesn't. Luckily I don't need the USB hub as I got the cpu cooler to work with another USB port that I have.

It's the USB hub in the commander pro that's the issue. Anything connected to the two USB ports on the commander pro will connect/disconnect as that USB hub does. The devices connected to it aren't the issue.

I had an old commander pro that I had zero issues with. Got a new commander pro with a new Obsidian 500D RGB case and started having issues. I should have kept the old commander pro as it worked perfectly with the same X470 board.

If it's a Ryzen chipset thing, I don't understand why the old one worked and this newer one doesn't. Luckily I don't need the USB hub as I got the cpu cooler to work with another USB port that I have.

I was not aware that there are different versions of the Commander Pro but suppose there could be. Both of mine are several years old. In 2 different Intel systems, the USB hub ports on both of my Commander Pros had constant problems. But I also had problems with the Commander Pro main USB port when plugged directly into a mobo USB2.0 header. I tried disabling USB selective suspend and Windows sleep settings, which did not fix it. What did work was putting an NZXT internal USB2.0 hub in and plugging the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pros into that. That is why I say that Corsair USB problems are not all AMD's fault. Instead of passing blame, maybe Corsair could look into whether their products have USB issues since these problems have been reported for years before Ryzen was released.

I broke down and just bought a NZXT usb hub to alleviate this problem. It wasn't so bad about a month ago but it's been pretty horrible lately.

I know you can just connect the commander pro to the NZXT hub but can the NZXT hub just replace the commander pro?

Thanks!

I broke down and just bought a NZXT usb hub to alleviate this problem. It wasn't so bad about a month ago but it's been pretty horrible lately.

I know you can just connect the commander pro to the NZXT hub but can the NZXT hub just replace the commander pro?

Thanks!

The NZXT hub can replace the Commander Pro as a USB internal hub, but that's it. The Commander Pro has 6 fan ports and 2 RGB ports. The NZXT USB hub does not. It's just a USB hub. No fan or RGB control.

The NZXT hub can replace the Commander Pro as a USB internal hub, but that's it. The Commander Pro has 6 fan ports and 2 RGB ports. The NZXT USB hub does not. It's just a USB hub. No fan or RGB control.

Great, thanks for answering my question!

I'll consider just replacing it when I get the hub.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 1:21 PM, pyden3.14 said:

Maybe Corsair should think about adding the NZXT hub in their cases that come with the commander pro if it's going to require it anyways.

HA! You're funny!

NZXT CAM is a bigger nightmare than iCue, but they do make a decent internal USB2.0 hub, and have updated the product several times. My latest rig has an NZXT Gen-3 internal hub and an Aquacomputer Hubby7. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Maybe Corsair will come out with one, and include it with their higher end cases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all.

How is there still not an update to resolve this issue? 
I just tried every single driver and bios update there is, even swapped to windows 11, still same problem as before.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact with the latest 3801 bios with Corsair commander pro connected into the internal usb 2 header and shit keeps disconnecting and reconnecting as crazy. Same problem I have had since i swapped from a ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING. There the commander pro worked fine.

@Corsair@Corsair Nick This issue seriously needs to be addressed somehow. Is it being worked on? Do  you need any logs/conf files to review? How can we help to get this issue resolved.

• Like 1

I am experiencing this exact issue, and have found many forum posts discussing this issue. I want to add my voice to this as well, this really needs to be addressed ASAP.

I contacted ASUS support regarding this and got a confirmation from them that they are aware of it, and looking into this. Honestly, it is quite embarrassing that this has been an issue for so long.

I have a new build:

• Asus Prime x570-PRO
  • ROG Strix RTX 3080 TI
  • Corsair Commander Pro
  • Corsair Lighting Node Core
  • Corsair MP600 1TB
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
  • Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
  • Custom water loop with only Corsair Hydro x products
  • Only Corsair fans
  • Only Corsair peripherals

I've tried different setups with USB's, and have found that using a powered USB hub and only 2 ports total on the motherboards stops the USB from disconnecting. 

The only thing disconnecting now is the Commander Pro, and this happens once every 10-15 minutes. Which is really frustrating. I've tried all the different solutions, but nothing helps. 

• Like 1

Let me chime in since I have the same issue as well. I had my commander Pro already replaced for a different issue but the disconnects continue. I've disabled the disconnect sound but can still see the RGB flicker when it happens. I've been holding out buying the NZXT hub w/ all the chatter that it'd be fixed via bios update but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Specs...

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
  • TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

American Megatrends Inc. 4021, 8/10/2021    
SMBIOS Version 3.3    
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x    

• Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 32GB 4x8GB
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus (500GB)
  • WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0 (1TB) 
  • WDC WD40EZRZ-22GXCB0  (4TB)
  • WDC WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0 (6TB)
  • Corsair iCUE Commander Pro Smart RGB Controller
  • Corsair Commander Core
  • Corsair RGB Fans (x9)
  • Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix 
  • EVGA SuperNova 850 T2 80+ Titanium 850W

I am gathering components for a new build at the moment. After reading through comments here, has it been determined that the USB issues are a problem with the 500-series chipsets by AMD or the iCUE Commander Pro by Corsair or are both being exacerbated by each other?

Does the iCUE Commander Pro have issues itself controlling the other components connected to it with the exception of the USB ports?

3 hours ago, KeithGP said:

Does the iCUE Commander Pro have issues itself controlling the other components connected to it with the exception of the USB ports?

Not on Intel or older AMD platforms (pre x470), but those are genuine pass through ports (no power or additional bandwidth). This why they tend not to work on the recent AMD boards since you are stacking 1-3 devices on the same line without supplemental aid.

Also, it is a pass through and not a device to device control scheme so the Commander does not take control over a Lighting Node Pro or PSU connected to it. All devices with usb connections will show up in cue as individual devices. 

On 9/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, KeithGP said:

I am gathering components for a new build at the moment. After reading through comments here, has it been determined that the USB issues are a problem with the 500-series chipsets by AMD or the iCUE Commander Pro by Corsair or are both being exacerbated by each other?

I have Commander Pro's in an X99 system (Intel 5820K) and a Z370 system (Intel i7-8700k). They were purchased about 2 years apart. Both of them had Lighting Node Pro's plugged into their USB loop through ports. I had USB connectivity problems with both of them. Ended up installing NZXT internal USB2.0 hubs in both of them and all of the USB issues stopped. That is why I do not accept Corsair's position that it is an AMD issue. FWIW - I built a Ryzen system (5950X). It doesn't have a Commander Pro in it but it does have 2 Lighting Node Cores. Their USB ports plug into an Aquacomputer Hubby7 USB2.0 internal USB hub that is Sata powered. I have never had any USB related problems with the Lighting Node Cores or any other USB device connected to that rig.

USB issues aside, my Commander Pro's have been very reliable. Never had a problem with the fan or temp probe ports. I have had problems with one of the RGB ports on one of them. I have an LED strip plugged into it. Occasionally it freezes. The only thing that fixes it (AFAIK) is disconnecting and reconnecting the LED strip. It starts working again after I do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just started experiencing this issue recently after months of my build being rock solid. 

Specs:

B550 Aorus Pro AC, BIOS f14d 

R5 3600XT 

EVGA FTW3 2070 Super 

32gb gskill trident z 3600mhz CL17

x4 QL120 + H100i Elite Capellix w Command Core Pro 

EVGA 700w gold PSU 

Uninstalled hwinfo, but I have to state that I had hwinfo on my rig long before icue and both always played nicely. Until recently. 

In bios, pci set to gen 3, amd cool and quiet, and global c state set to disabled. 

Basically, I fire up a game and within 5 minutes, I get the disconnect/connect win10 chime and the rgb on my corsair components turn off and then turn back on in hardware lighting mode.  At that point, the capellix disappears from icue/dashboard and only a system reboot will reset it. 

I'm not interested in spending more money on a powered hub to make this work. Especially considering, I've already spent $500+ on corsair components. 

I am also now experiencing this issue after upgrading my corsair link to a commander pro. Never had any disconnect issues with the link, now, the commander pro disconnects/reconnects. The BIOS on my ASUS PRIME X570-PRO/CSM is fully updated and considering the amount of people with the same issue, it's about time Corsair acknowledge that their commander pro's have issues still. 

the trouble is it's not just commander pros. People have issues with external USB devices too, of any brand.

Other people report that their AIOs for example work fine, but start disconnecting as soon as they launch iCUE.

My guess is, AMD's USB is dodgy, but the ridiculous device polling rates and other resource related complaints we've had for years with iCUE just exacerbates the problem, making it happen even more frequently.

Considering how stability and quality of life enhancements have been taken by Corsair (they dumped iCUE3 and created an even worse version, making all the complaints about iCUE3 an easy answer : "update to iCUE4"), i would go with the powered USB hub 🙂

... or dump the brand but that involves more costs than a simple hub.

Sad to say but the only reliable Corsair hardware is the one that involves zero coding from their part.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with the Commander Pro (which maybe I think it is time for Corsair to "renew/refresh" it); but the main issue to me is how bad is integrated in iCue - and it is not the only device.

I think Corsair have a lot of potential but is ruining all with iCue, is that difficult to put together a good dev team?

• 1 month later...

Since i upgraded from a solo monitor setup to a dual setup, i experienced the same issues with my H150i Elite Cappelix which is constantly dis- and reconnecting, RGB flashing and dis and reappearing in ICUE. 

For my RGB i use MSI Mystic Lights for the Motherboard and the RAM, aswell as RGB Fusion 2.0 for my GPU and ICUE for my Fans and the Aio. 

My setup:

Lian Li  PC-O11 Dynamix
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8x 3.8GHz / 4.7GHz Turbo)
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix black
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi (inkl Wlan + BT)
32GB (2x16GB) GSkill DDR4 3600MHz Trident Z NEO
1TB Corsair MP400 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME (L 3480MB/s ; S1880MB/s)
3TB SATA 6GB/s 5400rpm WD Blue WD30EZAZ
8GB Gigabyte RTX3070 AORUS MASTER
750W be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum
3x Corsair ML Series ML120 RGB, 120mm 

I dont know the exact wiring for the Hubs, because i got the system from a hardware distributer. But i think its wired as following. 

Aio into Commander into USB 2.0 and the 3 Fans into another Hub into Lightning Node Pro into USB 2.0

I tried following fixes already: 

• Disconnected the second monitor
  • I opened the case and looked it up for not-connected wires, which was not the case
  • I de- and reinstalled ICUE
  • I tried to not use ICUE 
  • I de- and reinstalled every RGB program
  • I looked up for any Monitoring software (HWINFO) which may causes the problems, but i dont use any of them listed. I have HWINFO but its not in daily use
  • I deactivated the selective USB energie saving in the Device Manager
  • I deactivated the Energy saving for every USB Device in Human Interface Devices 
  • I switched the PCI Gen from auto to Gen3 
  • I updated the BIOS and tried the PCI switch again 
  • I updated the AMD Chipset driver
  • I went into all RGB programs and forced them to not overwrite any other RGB program like ICUE. Then i went into ICUE and blocked the application LED Keeper. Then i removed every other RGB program from autostart except for ICUE. Because i actually only want to use ICUE and updated ICUE today. 

Nothing did work, so i bought a NZXT Hub today, but the problem is that my case actual has no capazity for the Hub, so i dont know if i will be able to put it into it. So does anyone have another solution i could try, i literally tested everything that i found and nothing works

Basically i only want to use ICUE for the monitoring and want to have it on my second monitor. I disabled every other RGB program and forced the RGB through hardware lightning to stay in the color i want. 

I dont know any other solution and feeling pretty lost. The last option is a hardware related problem, but to be honest i did not have any problems before so i dont think it is. 

In addition i have to say, that the problems mainly occur when i start the computer, then im having some disconnects in the first hour of usage and then i dont have anymore disconnects for the next 2 hours. After that they sometimes come back for some time. 

Please send help ^^ 

greetings 

Edited by Haensele

• Corsair Employee

@Haensele make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest chipset driver directly from AMD's website, and that you have updated your motherboard BIOS to the most recent version. 

18 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

@Haensele make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest chipset driver directly from AMD's website, and that you have updated your motherboard BIOS to the most recent version. 

So on the Website of AMD i cant actual download any drivers in particular.

image.thumb.png.78f85369833a3b1fc2e831a58a9ea09e.png

But i already went to MSI to download my drivers from there. I installed following drivers: 

image.thumb.png.08fd78eb5b1a51dac5b985a15178fe36.png

I upgraded to this BIOS. 

image.thumb.png.8be2a35a890d0a95b63328042029dc35.png

And updatet to this Chipset driver.

Those are the recent (non-Beta) BIOS and recent Chipset drivers. So i dont know if thats the problem at the moment 😕

Is there another solution u can provide me with. 

Cheers, Hänsele