On 7/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, Strictly said:

Another one chiming in on this issue.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (X570)
iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX AIO
4 ML 120 Pro RGB
2 ML 140 Pro RGB

I'm using the Corsair 5000D Airflow, the Capellix is running as the side intake and uses its own Commander Core node. This has actually been functioning with no issues at all.

As for the setup of the other fans: the three 120s on the front as intake, the 4th is exhaust, and two 140s as another top exhaust, which are all connected to a separate Commander Core node, since the Commander Core is advertised as being able to power and illuminate up to 6 fans. This is where the issues have been occurring for nearly a year now.

This node powering 6 fans has been flickering on and off for almost a year now. What this would look like: all 6 fans would typically briefly switch off, then jump back on, continue to stay lit up and spinning, then repeat until it would produce the error 'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' and the Commander Core node would no longer be visible in iCUE. At this point, iCUE would either somehow pick up the Slack (though, by switching to a noticeably higher RPM), the fans would light up red, or simply not light up at all (though, they would still spin).

By now, I have tried everything that's ever been suggested in the history of this issue:

• reaching out to AMD (since the first thing Corsair did when I reported the issue was point at AMD and say it was an AMD problem)
  • reaching out to ASUS re. the latest firmware updates (I always make sure to be running the latest non-beta version)
  • buying an NZXT internal USB hub and following the suggested steps (as can be found in multiple threads)
  • and, most recently, buying a separate PCI-E USB 3.0 card and connecting the Commander Core to it directly via the use of the suggested cable

The NZXT hub produced stable results for approx. 2-3 weeks, then it went back to the same flickering as described above. This would also produce the same error 'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' and would stop recognising the Commander Core node until I rebooted my system. Eventually, it even stopped doing that consistently, resulting in repeated resets and lost of praying/crossed fingers - but, to no avail.

More recently, after desperately scouring the internet for potential solutions and finding this thread as the most promising lead, I bought the separate PCI-E USB 3.0 card (as suggested above in the post by @Haensele, who referred to @Corsair Marcus as the source of their info). For another 2-3 weeks, this solution seemed to work but, once again, it has gone back to the same flickering. Now, it doesn't produce the same 'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' error, but iCUE will seemingly often semi-crash as soon as the fans connected to this node start flickering. Same as before, the Commander Core node will disappear, then (sometimes) reappear in iCUE - when it doesn't, I have to kill iCUE via the Task Manager and restart it again. However, if you find yourself playing a multiplayer game, this isn't particularly great. For some reason, whenever this issue occurs, it also seems to affect my Logitech settings, resulting in a failure by the game being played at this time to recognize my DPI settings.

By a process of elimination, if the lighting appears to be an issue on all 6 connected fans simultaneously, I believe this is not an individual fan issue. It also isn't a completely busted Commander Core node, as the fans do continue to get some power since none of them stops spinning - the issue is entirely with the (lack of) consistency of the lighting.

Now... this thread was started in March of 2021. There also seem to be similar threads (example) dating back to August, 2019. And then there are similar sounds dating back to February, 2017 (sure, different hardware, but the issue sounds very, very similar).

Corsair... when are you going to actually fix this? Clearly, the Commander Core isn't truly capable of powering 6 fans and 6 RGB connections at the same time, despite being advertised as such. Having tried all of the solutions listed above, after all of the troubles and 'headaches' this has caused me, the time it has taken out of my life to scour the internet for solutions, leading to money spent on said solutions, I have now reached a point where I simply want to cut the Corsair out of my system, to never ever have to deal with this again.

I am also at the point where I simply want a refund for the Commander Core and the 6 fans, the money for which I've sunk into them strictly under the premise of the advertisement (which the product simply does not live up to). Given everything I'm seeing (and not seeing online), I realize Corsair will likely not publicly admit to having produced a product that is incapable of doing what it's being advertised as; not in the least because of the potential recall scenario that could happen as a result. However, having tried pretty much everything that people (including someone at Corsair) were able to come up with, I fail to see how the issue can be anything but the Commander Core. At this point, I just want my money back.

It's terribly frustrating to not feel like we're being heard or taken seriously. Corsair's lack of viable support on this issue is maddening. 

On to Windows 11, the USB disconnect issue remains. I have tried every solution suggested here and around the internet to no avail.

• 1 month later...

Hello, brand new build here

I have the NZXT hub as well. 

I am experiencing a constant USB disconnect sound.

No matter what setup of USB devices I use my commander core pro seems to be the culprit or the LCD upgrade kit (I have tried two different upgrade kits and its still the same issue).

I have a Titanium  Superflower 1000w PSU. 

Z690 EVGA classified

13900k CPU

3080 GPU

10 lian li fans, infinity fans

lian li strimers

Elite 150i corsair radiator

(With the upgrade LCD KIT)

The sound does not go off when I have the regular AIO without upgrade LCD kit installed.

Once the upgrade kit is installed I get the constant disconnecting sounds.

I do sometimes notice that the radiator stops working seemingly because my temperatures reach 98 degrees celcius just playing overwatch 2.

I am quite fed up with the issue and am going to be contacting my lawyer to insist a reimbursement for costs for my AIO and my LCD upgrade kits if I cannot solve these issues.

ICUE software is ... not good. 

I have tried virtually everything on the forums. 

I did see putting PCI 3.0 mode had solved the issue for some. Not quite sure how to do that without messing up my other components from achieving their maximum utility.

I have another commander core pro that I will try using to see if that solves the issue. I will also trade out my NZXT internal hub for the thermaltake hub to see if for some reason that helps.

I did see someone mentioning something about "smart PSU" causing the issues (not sure what that means).

Please... help me.

The only solution I see at this point is making corsair pay for my damages and me ordering Lian LI AIO instead.

image.png

• 4 weeks later...

I too have started having this issue. The item causing it for me is my AX1600i. It suddenly is showing in device manager that something is wrong. Only way to get it to work again is to completely power off the PC, and disconnect the power cord to the PSU for a few minutes. I am seeing on the ax1600i that the led light is flashing back and forth between green and red. It's plugged into it's own USB 2.0 connector on and Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA ATX LGA1200 Motherboard. My complete build is in my signature. I don't understand why corsair has so many damn issues with USB and worse yet they never address it or acknowledge our posts about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Icue detects my Msi x570 Unify motherboard but Im wonderin if the Msi plugin and drivers are buggy, some times my Icue home screen show an Msi MEG x570 ACE, Ive been using my Unify for 2 years now and this has always been an issue

No motherboard.jpg

Another problem with Icue, Msi center on the left detects my Unify correctly....Icue on the right... does not.

Motherboardicuevsmsi center.jpg

I'm having the same massive USB instability issues as many of you with my H170i Elite LCD and a Aorus X570 board.
Getting 20-30 USB connects/disconnects per MINUTE when both the Commander core and the LCD are plugged in to the mobo.
Bought a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 internal adapter from amazon to offload the mobo's USB 2.0 header. That worked for about a week, then the same issue returned!

Reading through the forums on this problem it seems that some have had luck with the NZXT powered hub but that seems very hit or miss.

As of now, I've simply unplugged the LCD header so now it's only displaying the stock liquid temp screen.

How this issue hasn't been properly addressed yet is beyond me. Even more disappointing is that Corsair no longer seem to acknowledge these issues in the forums. I've made a support ticket. We'll see what that results in...

Edited by Phlox

You should be ashamed!We are supporting you with our money!We are choosing your components and what do we get?

A crap software that 2 years now you are refusing to find a solution for tha random disconects usb`s.

I have spend money to get NZXT usb hub.For 15 days was ok.Oh boys ,i have said its been fixed!!3 days ago!NEW UPDATE from iCue!! GF GF.

New update= New random disconnects.I dont  know really why are you doing all these update for?For fixing or for making us more frustrated?

That`s all folks.

FIX IT OR KILL THESE SOFTWARE AND MAKE A NEW ONE!

• Like 1

Glad, I found this thread to screenshot for my return reason to BesyBuy on Monday. I was going to try to work with this thing, but while this junky H100i Elite is still able to be exchanged easily for a quality unit is a no brainer. After much research, which I admit I should have done up front, instead of trusting a brand, I found that this unit has nothing but troubles between the janky software and USB bugs (going back years). The only one I found that actually uses such a poorly thought out and implemented 'feature' of an AIO is almost comical.  Lucky,  I dodged a bullet on this one. Too bad I have to waste a bunch of my time with the tear down and replacement.

Update: 6 days later, Corsair hasn't even responded to my support ticket.

I'm actually shocked how poor their customer service is. Considering I've paid $300+ for a top-of-the-line AIO cooler and spent DAYS of my tim trying to troubleshoot this myself, the very LEAST they could do is acknowledge the issue.

Extremely disappointing behavior.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:14 PM, Phlox said:

I'm having the same massive USB instability issues as many of you with my H170i Elite LCD and a Aorus X570 board.
Getting 20-30 USB connects/disconnects per MINUTE when both the Commander core and the LCD are plugged in to the mobo.
Bought a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 internal adapter from amazon to offload the mobo's USB 2.0 header. That worked for about a week, then the same issue returned!

Reading through the forums on this problem it seems that some have had luck with the NZXT powered hub but that seems very hit or miss.

As of now, I've simply unplugged the LCD header so now it's only displaying the stock liquid temp screen.

How this issue hasn't been properly addressed yet is beyond me. Even more disappointing is that Corsair no longer seem to acknowledge these issues in the forums. I've made a support ticket. We'll see what that results in...

Hi i am from poland if my english isnt perfect i am sorry

I am working with computer over 20 years and this problem  with usb is very elusive end hard to diagnose

This post will be long but i find samting ... i dont know what and why it is happening

i had problem with usb disconect over 2 years. when amd had a usb problem i disable system usb sound and forgot about it

Week ago  i upgrade my rig upgrade bios but problem is still there   

Then i  start diagnosing the problem  after consulting with 12 peaple from werius it brunches

we stamble on samting odd

My pc spec and steps i take

Mobo Socket AM4 ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO

CASE Corsair Crystal Series 680X RGB High Airflow TG Black

PSU         be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W 80 Plus Platinium

CPU COOLER Noctua NH-U14S 140mm

Corsair Commander PRO

RAM DDR4 HyperX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Fury

Procesor AMD Ryzen 7 AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT Upgrade to 5800x3d

NVIDIA MSI RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS GP OC 8GB GDDR6 Upgrade to MSI GeForce RTX 4080 VENTUS 3X OC 16GB GDDRX

Problem

I have disconecting usb davices usb internal header commander pro

front panel 2 usb 3.0

back panel 6 usb 3.1 blue

for evry 30 -40 min

Red usb on back IO are ok

Like i write  bios update didn't help then i start consulting and read evry forum and contact anyone who have or had this problem what i do and what i find in over 150 h to fight this problem

Solution it may get it fix

YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

You mast update all firmware and bios for all usb davices

If the bios is updated, please go to BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Global C-state Control -> disabled;

2 Go to the Windows Device Manager , and uninstall / reinstall / restart all of the USB ROOT/HUB Controllers

3 TOO ALL usb devices in Device manager disable usb power saving in propertys

4 In power plan settings Click Change advanced power settings then scroll down to USB settings and click the little plus next to USB selective suspend setting to expand the options.

Set both the On battery and Plugged in settings to Disabled then click OK to apply changes.

5 use usb extender NZXT Internal USB Hub 3, model AC-IUSBH-M3 or other usb hub

I barow 1 NZXT from shop it didn't help IN MY CASE

I hear from my friend

older NZXT Internal USB Hub 3, model AC-IUSBH-M3  had helped newer one don't and he had 1 damaged usb 2 internal port.

he don't know from what

I Want to bay CORSAIR Internal 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub it may help but i can't buy it in Poland

Thermaltake H200 Internal USB Hub

6 If you have more then 1 corsair device or more usb haders chain it is very critical to chain it right i find the links to show connecting properly devices can fix this problem i don't know i can link films on forum 

it may take time to test verius connecting configuration

i find 3 films when changing cabes helped and problem stop to occur

7 IT THE MISTERIUS FIND WE HAD Find (MY friand from pc store find it )

if YOU INSTALL AMD chipset driver 1 2 3 4 times when problem is occurring it MAY stop for time you don't turn your pc off

I test it 5 days in row now

Problem happening i install AMD chipset drivers if it occurs again

I AM installing AMD chopset drivers again without even restarting pc

I tested it for 5 days now and it helped every time sometimes 1 installation is enough sometimes 3.

It IS very inconvenient and it is helping only for short time

i write ticket too AMD maybe they respond

8 Do clean install of windows and first you install amd chipset drivers it may help

Don't test it yet i don't have new disk to test it yet but i will

9 Disable fast boot in windows

Conclusion

I Work on it form software side over 150 h +

I agragate data and this problem isnt corsair only foult for 100%

I ask shops and friends in poland thay use corsair davices from aproxymitly 1000+ bulids in last 12 mounts

Problem occur 4 times on amd 1 for intel

2 times internal usb hub had helped and problem didn't came back

My point 7 shows this may be very complicated chipset problem i think it is existing in very small group of bulids and it may be very complicated to find what is causing it

TO DO THAT CORSAIR AMD INTEL AND Mainbord producers

mast too sit down and replicate the problem

i don't THINK IT WILL HAPEN it need lots off people data and test rigs too test it

IT IS HAPPENING IN Very SMALL SAMPLE

i see raports it is happening too on x670 and intel 790 but is much less frequent 1 2 cases

I have a few more  concept what to do to diagnose it from hardware side

but i have cerebral palsy and i mast ask for help 

i cant lift up the pc and work in it easly and i need pay for fuel 

to my friends get to me and work for whole day on it                 

I WILL try to work it furder  but it may take a long time 

I will submit ticets too Asus AMD AND CORSARIR for more help and information but i dont have  hopes

IT is my regret i cant bay CORSAIR Internal 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub in poland 

I DONT KNOW if IT IS PRODUSED STILL but it can fix the problem 

Last wards

IF YOU have this problem and cant fix it

you can test all your back io ports then more then half probebly will  work ok use this to connect your devices like mouse keyboard etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have solved the USB reconnection problem on my computer. The problem was the voltage supply to the commander core. What I did was put a sata power cable connected to the power supply dedicated exclusively to the commander core and everything worked correctly. I hope this solves your problem.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:50 AM, freevision said:

Hello, I have solved the USB reconnection problem on my computer. The problem was the voltage supply to the commander core. What I did was put a sata power cable connected to the power supply dedicated exclusively to the commander core and everything worked correctly. I hope this solves your problem.

Interesting might have to try this

1 hour ago, Raptorek said:

I bay bay CORSAIR Internal 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub

12 h testing no more disconects

i asume commanders have too little power and need more ... try too get it from usb 2 header and it go to disconects

i will be updateting after week if problem came back

I have one and mine doesn't work at all with the internal 4 port from Corsair.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:50 PM, freevision said:

Might try this. Am sick of it not working. My fans and AIO work, just no RGB or PWM control on them. Very frustrating/annoying.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, freevision said:

Will test this over the weekend. Sounds like your solution as well as @Coopznz has some merit. Both are methods of supplying more power to the commander pro?

2 hours ago, EeeTee said:

Will test this over the weekend. Sounds like your solution as well as @Coopznz has some merit. Both are methods of supplying more power to the commander pro?

I think it may have something to do with how the USB sets addresses but yes it could also be power based, in this case the power is not supplied via the USB but a separate power connection, still zero faults on this cooler since I changed it