Corsair Community

USB Connectivity Issues related to AMD 500 Series Chipsets - Megathread

• Corsair Employee

We have seen that some of you are experiencing adverse detection or connectivity behavior with various CORSAIR components that utilize internal USB ports on motherboard, particularly with AMD based systems. Examples of this behavior would be:

• Device not detected in iCUE at initial boot into Windows
  • Random Disconnect/Reconnect sound in Windows
  • No Detection of either one or both devices in a chain
  • Ie. CORSAIR Platinum Series Cooler -> CORSAIR COMMANDER PRO -> Motherboard USB header

• CORSAIR devices stop updating temperature or speed stats in iCUE, and become static

Our development teams have been investigating these symptoms since their initial reports and working towards resolving them through internal updates to software and hardware.

AMD has identified an issue where users will intermittently lose connection from USB devices. This issue has been found to affect the X570, a small number of X470/B450 motherboards, and other USB devices connected to the passthru ports.

You can read this Reddit post by AMD to learn more about the investigation.

You can work around this motherboard issue by going into your BIOS and setting the PCIe lanes to Gen 3. If you are unsure of how to change this setting in BIOS, consult your motherboard manual or manufacturer.

If changing the BIOS setting does not resolve the issue, please provide your system specs including brand and model, which will help with our ongoing investigation. We also recommend following up with AMD to help their investigation into the issue as well.

Aorus B550 Pro AC, 5800X, 6800XT, 1000W PSU

Changing PCI-E to gen 3 doesn't help me.

Changing cstates doesnt help me.

I put all external USB devices on a powered hub, and ran to a powered card. All disconnects stopped.

Thought ST100 might cause a problem, so put that back on the motherboard, usb. 1 day no issues.

Thought that HwInfo might conflict with iCue. Been running for 4 hours but need a full day. Has not disconnected yet.

Running USBLogView to track if it ever disconnects while I'm away from the machine.

Edited by GravitonM1

ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact, 5950x, 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair SF750

Nothing seemed to work to resolve the disconnects and non-detection apart from using a separate USB Hub, I use the NZXT one however I have not needed to power it. Commander pro, Lighting node pro, Lighting node core all working fine.

Hi,

Are you sure it's only related to AMD 500 chipset series ?

Because:

- Device not detected in iCUE at initial boot into Windows : did it 2 times on my Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 motherboard

- Random Disconnect/Reconnect sound in Windows : happens on every boot ; pretty sure it's the keyboard since some keystrokes are not taken in account between the two sounds

Thanks

Hi,

Are you sure it's only related to AMD 500 chipset series ?

Because:

- Device not detected in iCUE at initial boot into Windows : did it 2 times on my Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 motherboard

- Random Disconnect/Reconnect sound in Windows : happens on every boot ; pretty sure it's the keyboard since some keystrokes are not taken in account between the two sounds

Thanks

You can use USBLogview by Nirsoft to verify this claim to see exactly what is disconnecting.

I have this issue only on weird occasions. For example. When I load up discord and I start a stream, I'll constantly hear the disconnect/connect jingle. As well as my iCue profiles constantly resetting. This also sometimes happens during certain cutscenes in video games. Another occurrence is in Apex Legends. Any time I click on one of the tabs to view new Apex event trailers, I'll be getting these issues when it loads up a web-browser while I'm in-game. Very annoying.

EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080, Ryzen 9 3900XT, Asus rog strix b550 f gaming mobo, corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gb ram.

I have those exact problems and forcing pci 3 has not worked for me.

MB: Asus Prime x570 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

GPU: Aorus Master 3070

When the computer was brand new i noticed that my keyboard disconnected, but the problem stopped after switching usb-port.

I then noticed that my commander pro disconnected once per hour or sometimes more along with other usb devices. Tried forcing pci 3.0 on all lanes but no luck. Right now my Commander Pro still disconnect where as my commander core is stable and has not dc'd even once.

So i have h100i platinum SE and when I connect fans to AIO they run full speed under commander qiuet, CPU stock settings idle 26C near window, RGB not working as well iCUE don't see it but it happens after I tried to update iCUE software before that every thing was working so I reinstalled Windows didn't worked ,downgrade bios as well tried to connect with normal USB to back pannel no success reinstalling software ble ble ble aswell run out of ideas ��my setup is Gigabyte aorus x570 master, CPU 3600,GPU MSI rx5700 , g.skill Royal 4x8

I also have the problem with the USB disconnect sound every time I boot into Windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB

Motherboard: MSI Meg X570 Unify

Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix

PSU: Corsair RM750

ASUS X570 CROSSHAIR FORMULA VIII

AMD R9 3900X

Corsair pretty much every USB device they make.

Upon return from sleep iCue crashes while parsing my set of USB devices.

I have to restart iCue, where it then parses the USB chain normally. I suspect my Nexus device is part of the issue because it is the first device that iCue shows when returning from sleep, as it crashes, leaving half my devices in the ready state and the other half in hardware lighting mode.

-usn92

In case this helps anyone here...

I had my NZXT z73 AIO CPU cooler connected to one of the two USB ports in the Commander Pro. Perhaps that was affecting the power draw. I moved that USB connection to the MB and plugged the Lighting Core USB to the Commander Pro and now I get the performance tab on the Obsidian 1000D in iCue (wasn't showing up in iCue before). I can now adjust the speed of my fans.

Asus just this morning released BIOS Version 3401 Beta for my Dark Hero x570 board:

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 3401

"- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A

- Fix USB connectivity issue

I installed it and so far everything is working perfectly. Windows actually detected Lighting Node Core and iCUE is working exactly as expected. For me, I could get it to SOMETIMES work if I changed my PCIE to Gen 3 and 4 but would always fail the next morning on a cold boot (USB sounds over and over and over), so I guess my real test is tomorrow morning, but so far this looks extremely promising.

would always fail the next morning on a cold boot (USB sounds over and over and over), so I guess my real test is tomorrow morning, but so far this looks extremely promising.

Yeah so it isn't working again this morning. Disconnects over and over.

Asus just this morning released BIOS Version 3401 Beta for my Dark Hero x570 board:

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 3401

"- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A

I installed it and so far everything is working perfectly. Windows actually detected Lighting Node Core and iCUE is working exactly as expected. For me, I could get it to SOMETIMES work if I changed my PCIE to Gen 3 and 4 but would always fail the next morning on a cold boot (USB sounds over and over and over), so I guess my real test is tomorrow morning, but so far this looks extremely promising.

Yeah so it isn't working again this morning. Disconnects over and over.

I have faced the same result, we should wait AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2 as AMD stated. I hope it will help.

Asus released 3402 and states that fixing USB connectivity issue but it didn't work for me. Just for information.

Version 3402

2021/03/23 20.36 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA BIOS 3402

- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A

Asus released 3402 and states that fixing USB connectivity issue but it didn't work for me. Just for information.

Version 3402

2021/03/23 20.36 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA BIOS 3402

Sorry to read that... same mobo ant a plenty of Corsair products here.

What problems are you experiencing?

Baio

Asus VIII Impact

Ryzen 5 2600

Asus rog strix 2070

Commander pro

H115i Platinum

Lian Li lconnect hub

So i had this problem after i just got my new Asus VIII Impact. Only solution was to remove the commander pro and connect my h115i directly to the mobo, but i also want my Lian Li fans connected with their hub. ended up using an external usb port for the h115i and internal hub for the Lian Li, worked like a charm. Then i got the new bios yesterday, sadly no change here either. I had it working by running my H115i Platinum with an micro to normal usb 2.0 port on the backside of the motherboard instead of trough my commander pro, then connecting my Lian Li hub to the internal header, all working good.

Then I downloaded the new bios update from amd for my Asus VIII Impact DTX card, connected the commander pro again, connected the h115i platinum to the commander, same usb drops out as before. Removed all drivers, all spare rgb programs and all usb drivers, reinstalled only for commander and h115i platinum, installed the new v4 icue. same issue as before.

New bios that didnt work> ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT BIOS 3402

Edited by ThaProZac

• Corsair Employee
To start off, thanks for providing your feedback in this thread and how the BIOS updates are affecting the USB stability with the CORSAIR products. It seems like most of you reporting issues are running ASUS motherboards based on the list your provided, or what is in your PC spec list. We'll have to see if further BIOS updates improve the behavior for more of you, it sounds like they are still rolling them out. We're still investigating on our side as well, but don't have any official word on fixes we can provide at the moment. We'll keep you updated.