Corsair Community

Request: iCUE ELITE CAPELLIX - Lower RPM (< 2000 RPM) for Quiet Profile via Firmware

• Corsair Employee

Thanks for continuing to provide the information we're requesting. 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:32 AM, paulredert said:

I'm also sitting at a normal distance from the case, between 1 and 1,5 meters. It's standing on the floor under my desk. However as noted by others distance does not effect the noise that much, I can hear it from outside of the room this machine is in, and that's with my house's air re-circulation system on. As I tried to indicate in my earlier post, the pitch is the main issue I'm having with this. I used a spectral analyzer on my phone to check the noise level and pitch and I'm quite easily able to see a shift in the loudness around the 1000Hz point just by shifting between the pump profiles. What kind of tests have your engineers done with the RMA'd units? When you say they perform within spec, what kind of specification do you mean? Are these pumps tested on loudness (dB) or is pitch also taken in to account (Hz)?

It's well known that the human ear's perceived loudness does not respond equally to noises of the same dB level at different pitches (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting#Environmental_and_other_noise_measurements).

This also aligns with the fact that lowering the RPM (and thus the pitch) helps with making the noise less noticeable.

Bear in mind, I'm measuring this with a normal household room base level noise, and I'm able to detect the shift in pitch. I would assume you would have a noise isolation room available to test this, so it should be even more obvious in that scenario...

Some very thorough feedback, thanks for providing the additional details.  I can't provide any specifics on the testing processes, other than it has been very extensive.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Some very thorough feedback, thanks for providing the additional details.  I can't provide any specifics on the testing processes, other than it has been very extensive.

But you guys are advertising this pump as ''low noise'' so how extensive was the testing? i mean this pump is not a low noise pump? and everyone in this thread can prove that.. So how true is this advertising then?683f3ca6bd2767028c5b8676c23283be.jpg

• Like 3

• Corsair Employee

Thanks, everyone, for the responses! We're asking how far away your system is from where you sit (and even the height, angle, whichever you can provide us) because it really gives us a clearer picture of your setup and how the sounds are propagating from the pump and your system.

We've seen that the noise level and sound of our systems can vary from being right next to us on a desk, off to the side, on the floor at our feet, and elsewhere. So, the more information can collect, the better it helps us understand.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Corsair Mint said:

Thanks, everyone, for the responses! We're asking how far away your system is from where you sit (and even the height, angle, whichever you can provide us) because it really gives us a clearer picture of your setup and how the sounds are propagating from the pump and your system.

We've seen that the noise level and sound of our systems can vary from being right next to us on a desk, off to the side, on the floor at our feet, and elsewhere. So, the more information can collect, the better it helps us understand.

Good point

But how we gonna fix it

1.  iCUE version, ELITE CAPELLIX firmware version, and which pump cooling profile(s) emit noise (quiet, balanced, extreme)

iCUE v 4.118.209 / H150i Elite Capellix v 2.6.201
    Annoying noise at every levels but acceptable with FireWarner trick 

2. Hardware specs (minimum motherboard, case)

Corsair 4000X / Ryzen 5900X / ASUS ROG X570 Gaming-E / Corsair RGB PRO 64Go (4*16) 3600 MHz

3. Image to illustrate radiator position + tube routing (example below)

iCUE-iCUE_17-12-2021_02h12m53s (680x648).png

Edited by David Soeiro

On 12/16/2021 at 4:01 AM, Corsair Nick said:

Ok, can you do me a favour? Can Corsair staff starts to talk to each other? I mean one part says ”it’s normal and within specs” another says ”we have not been aware of this, but please make a ticket” and one gang says ”we are aware of the issue and working hard to solve it”

Cheezuz guys…c’mon…

Edited by iigloo
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, Corsair Mint said:

Would it be possible to give us an option inside iCUE, Through an iCUE update and firmware update , To lower the pump speed from the current lowest roughly 2000 RPM "Quiet" mode down to something like "Very Quiet" and have that sit around 1000 RPM ?

• Corsair Employee
On 12/17/2021 at 6:46 PM, Dicehunter said:

Would it be possible to give us an option inside iCUE, Through an iCUE update and firmware update , To lower the pump speed from the current lowest roughly 2000 RPM "Quiet" mode down to something like "Very Quiet" and have that sit around 1000 RPM ?

Thanks for the suggestion, Dicehunter. Unfortunately, 1000 RPM would be highly unlikely as it would impose negative long-term (potentially even short-term) effects at that speed.

Solutions will be evaluated once we're able to determine the culprit.

1 hour ago, Corsair Albert said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Dicehunter. Unfortunately, 1000 RPM would be highly unlikely as it would impose negative long-term (potentially even short-term) effects at that speed.

Solutions will be evaluated once we're able to determine the culprit.

Personally I don't have any issue with pitch or noise if that helps, H150i Capellix and it's only 2 feet away from my head on my desk.

Edited by Dicehunter
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dicehunter said:

Personally I don't have any issue with pitch or noise if that helps, H150i Capellix and it's only 2 feet away from my head on my desk.

But what kind of system do you have, does it have lots of case fans etc which are drowning out the Capellix? 

I have the exact same problems.

Ryzen 5900x, Asus B550-F, 3080Ti FE, 32GB Corsair Vengance RGB pro, additional 3 120LL.
Sound is defintely coming from the pump, as it is not present when pump is not on. 

I bought most of my customization from corsair for the iCue advantages, but the pump noise is not acceptable (at least not when PC is in idle).

I do sit 1,5m away from my PC being located under my desk. Sound (in quiet or balanced preset) is audible even in other rooms, due to its frequencey.

If I understand correctly this is a design issue and not a single item failure, correct?

I have build multiple PCs most of them with AiOs, all being much less noisy, especially in idle. As this problems existis since release I do wonder why these pumps are not recalled.

• Like 2

Well I thought Id update you guys, returned my ELITE CAPELLIX and refunded, thought I give the newer 150i Elite LCD a go, it has an different fitting bracket for AMD, however the pump noise has the same whine, Ive modified the settings using firewarners 'hack' and its a lot better.

13 hours ago, Scoop said:

Well I thought Id update you guys, returned my ELITE CAPELLIX and refunded, thought I give the newer 150i Elite LCD a go, it has an different fitting bracket for AMD, however the pump noise has the same whine, Ive modified the settings using firewarners 'hack' and its a lot better.

You mean Doable right? 👍

What I find weird is that the pump in Arctics much cheaper "Liquid Freezer II-360mm" AIO can be turned down to 800RPM for reduced noise/pitch yet this somehow is an impossibility for the much more expensive Corsair Capellix AIO's.

I find that really odd.

Edited by Dicehunter
  • Like 2

Hi guys.

I joined to this topic just to say that I understand all of you.

When I built my new rig I switched from an old CM Seidon 120M to my new H150i pro.

Obviously the seidon 120 and the h150i are two completely different devices.

they can´t be even compared.  The problem is that the CM pump was running at very low rpm (<900),

the h150i pump "silent" setting is around 960/1000 rpm.

I often stay up late at night surfing the web and being so silent around I could hear the pump spinning.

I spent weeks searching around the net if it was normal or any kind of fault.

That tiny whine was driving me crazy.  

it was inudible watching a movie or gaming but it was a nightmare in the silence of the night.

I never set the pump faster than "silent" and my temps are always fine.

If you are not planning to beat the world overclock record I don't think you'll never need nothing

more than "silent".  It's even too much maybe for desktop use.

To tell you the truth I don't hear my pump anymore.  maybe I got used to it.

What I hate most is noise and I have to say that my pc is completely silent.

Sometimes I must look at the power led to understand if it´s on or off.

I don't know if all of you guys can "get used" to your 2000 rpm pump.

If I were you maybe I would return the cooler and search for something quieter.

Maybe corsair will start to think about it seeing all the coolers sent back.

I thank you for sharing your unfortunately bad experience here so that other people can be

warned about this noisy issue before buying a new cooler.

When I'll be going to change my h150i I will surely investigate about noise before buying the new one.

4 minutes ago, zultan said:

Hi guys.

I joined to this topic just to say that I understand all of you.

When I built my new rig I switched from an old CM Seidon 120M to my new H150i pro.

Obviously the seidon 120 and the h150i are two completely different devices.

they can´t be even compared.  The problem is that the CM pump was running at very low rpm (<900),

the h150i pump "silent" setting is around 960/1000 rpm.

I often stay up late at night surfing the web and being so silent around I could hear the pump spinning.

I spent weeks searching around the net if it was normal or any kind of fault.

That tiny whine was driving me crazy.  

it was inudible watching a movie or gaming but it was a nightmare in the silence of the night.

I never set the pump faster than "silent" and my temps are always fine.

If you are not planning to beat the world overclock record I don't think you'll never need nothing

more than "silent".  It's even too much maybe for desktop use.

To tell you the truth I don't hear my pump anymore.  maybe I got used to it.

What I hate most is noise and I have to say that my pc is completely silent.

Sometimes I must look at the power led to understand if it´s on or off.

I don't know if all of you guys can "get used" to your 2000 rpm pump.

If I were you maybe I would return the cooler and search for something quieter.

Maybe corsair will start to think about it seeing all the coolers sent back.

I thank you for sharing your unfortunately bad experience here so that other people can be

warned about this noisy issue before buying a new cooler.

When I'll be going to change my h150i I will surely investigate about noise before buying the new one.

We all learned something at least.

1 minute ago, FireWarner said:

We all learned something at least.

Exactly, otherwise I would never know about that and I would get mad about it...

this guy @Tankman30 posted a video of the sound....

20211227_204419.mp4 - Google Drive

it seems quite loud.... 

Hello All!

I'm a bit late to the party with this, but I've just installed a H100i Elite LCD which appears to have the exact same noise issue still - a loud humming / buzzing, which is really bad in all the different modes (Quite, Balanced, Extreme) but gets worse the faster the pump speed.

Its a shame as I really would have thought the the latest model would have overcome the noise issues, but it appears not. 

I've got a post about it here that I started before I saw this thread: 

Has anyone else with the Elite LCD also experienced the issue too or should I send it back for a replacement on the off chance its a one off?

J

You can reach 1990/2000 RPM with FireWarner mod. It's much better but noise don't totally desapear and Corsair says it's bad for AIO in long term use.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:51 AM, FireWarner said:

I got it below 2000RPM by changing the configuration of the ''Balanced'' Profile to 50%. It is running on 1960~1990RPM Right now and the irritating noise is away! the pump is working fine and its running well, the temperatures are the same or a little higher 

I fixed it by going to %appdata% / Corsair / CUE4 / Cooling / Configurations
Then: Ctrl + F / Search ''Balanced'' pump speed /

set the ''<fixedPercents>75</fixedPercents> to ''<fixedPercents>50</fixedPercents>''

Then close the note you writing in. First you set your Pump RPM Profile to Balanced,

and close ICUE with your Task manager. Then startup ICUE and for me it was running on 1960RPM 

If ICUE won't startup, you restart your pc and then it will work hopefully. Otherwise re-install ICUE

Hopefully it works for you too and that this will help you!

Corsair Please update the firmware to make it alot easier.

Warner

1 hour ago, David Soeiro said:

You can reach 1990/2000 RPM with FireWarner mod. It's much better but noise don't totally desapear and Corsair says it's bad for AIO in long term use.

They have at least To do something

• Like 3

well, wanted to post that the cooler is very loud...but woke up to the red exclamation mark of DEATH Today...so I will prob RMA anyways...what a crappy cooler with added crappy LCD...such a waste of time and effort really, never buying corsair again after this.

17 hours ago, whocares said:

well, wanted to post that the cooler is very loud...but woke up to the red exclamation mark of DEATH Today...so I will prob RMA anyways...what a crappy cooler with added crappy LCD...such a waste of time and effort really, never buying corsair again after this.

In everything I have seen so far the red exclamation mark on the LCD is a power issue, The majority have solved it by plugging the USB header directly into the motherboard and not using the Y splitter.

Edited by Dicehunter

3 minutes ago, Dicehunter said:

In everything I have seen so far the red exclamation mark on the LCD is a power issue, The majority have solved it by plugging the USB header directly into the motherboard and not using the Y splitter.

Thank you, I tried everything, doesn't work.

Edited by whocares