Corsair Community

Request: iCUE ELITE CAPELLIX - Lower RPM (< 2000 RPM) for Quiet Profile via Firmware

My Idea because Corsair didn't help us:

Edit the config files from Icue to set the pump RPM of the silence profile below 2.000 RPM. I already tryed it by myselfe but I'm not an IT-guy so i couldn't find the right file to edit.

What i found was in:
%appdata% / corsair / CUE4 / cooling / configurations

<base>
                                                <id>{4f620194-82a2-45e0-9ef4-079639f8b354}</id>
                                                <name>Quiet</name>
                                                <predefined>true</predefined>
                                                <coolerType>0</coolerType>
                                                <coolingMode>Normal</coolingMode>
                                 </base>
                                            <type>FetaPlus</type>
                                            <pumpMode>0</pumpMode>

<fixedPercents>75</fixedPercents>
                                            <fixedRpm>2250</fixedRpm>

<customModePoints size="dynamic">

Stuff like this we have to change to go below 2.000 RPM.
May we find an IT-guy here who can help us?

On 10/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, Aurigum said:

My Idea because Corsair didn't help us:

Edit the config files from Icue to set the pump RPM of the silence profile below 2.000 RPM. I already tryed it by myselfe but I'm not an IT-guy so i couldn't find the right file to edit.

What i found was in:
%appdata% / corsair / CUE4 / cooling / configurations

<base>
                                                <id>{4f620194-82a2-45e0-9ef4-079639f8b354}</id>
                                                <name>Quiet</name>
                                                <predefined>true</predefined>
                                                <coolerType>0</coolerType>
                                                <coolingMode>Normal</coolingMode>
                                 </base>
                                            <type>FetaPlus</type>
                                            <pumpMode>0</pumpMode>

<fixedPercents>75</fixedPercents>
                                            <fixedRpm>2250</fixedRpm>

<customModePoints size="dynamic">

Stuff like this we have to change to go below 2.000 RPM.
May we find an IT-guy here who can help us?

I got it below 2000RPM by changing the configuration of the ''Balanced'' Profile to 50%. It is running on 1960~1990RPM Right now and the irritating noise is away! the pump is working fine and its running well, the temperatures are the same or a little higher 

I fixed it by going to %appdata% / Corsair / CUE4 / Cooling / Configurations
Then: Ctrl + F / Search ''Balanced'' pump speed /

set the ''<fixedPercents>75</fixedPercents> to ''<fixedPercents>50</fixedPercents>''

Then close the note you writing in. First you set your Pump RPM Profile to Balanced,

and close ICUE with your Task manager. Then startup ICUE and for me it was running on 1960RPM 

If ICUE won't startup, you restart your pc and then it will work hopefully. Otherwise re-install ICUE

Hopefully it works for you too and that this will help you!

Corsair Please update the firmware to make it alot easier.

Warner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zodler said:

I got a firmware update 1.7.142. What is this?

What do you mean? that the pump speed is decreased?

Ok, after a few days of testing. I do get a high pitch noise but not always. It's some times. Like under heavy CPU load it starts that high pitch noise for half an hour and it will go away. Although it is not all the time and only occasionally, it is still annoying. I'm hoping it will go away with time and I'm going to give it more time. In worst case scenario I might go back to air cooling. Can Noctua NH-D15 for example cool as good as this unit?

On 10/6/2021 at 9:51 AM, FireWarner said:

I got it below 2000RPM by changing the configuration of the ''Balanced'' Profile to 50%. It is running on 1960~1990RPM Right now and the irritating noise is away! the pump is working fine and its running well, the temperatures are the same or a little higher 

I fixed it by going to %appdata% / Corsair / CUE4 / Cooling / Configurations
Then: Ctrl + F / Search ''Balanced'' pump speed /

set the ''<fixedPercents>75</fixedPercents> to ''<fixedPercents>50</fixedPercents>''

Then close the note you writing in. First you set your Pump RPM Profile to Balanced,

and close ICUE with your Task manager. Then startup ICUE and for me it was running on 1960RPM 

If ICUE won't startup, you restart your pc and then it will work hopefully. Otherwise re-install ICUE

Hopefully it works for you too and that this will help you!

Corsair Please update the firmware to make it alot easier.

Warner

Thank you!!!! your are a wizard!!!  pump is running now at 1950/1990 rpm. 

Schermafbeelding 2021-10-10 164859.png

1 hour ago, Zodler said:

Maybe you can lower it but should you? They said it is physically not possible so maybe it will damage the system later if you do that?

Agreed. They said with this model, going lower may not overcome resistance in the AIO. Not sure I’d risk it unless it’s officially supported. 

Its pretty clear that Corsair is not going to do anything about this. I have no idea why they said the pump will not be able to overcome loop resistance at lower RPM. Its just an Asetek Gen-6 pump, which I believe is used on many other manufacturer's AIO coolers that can run at lower RPM than the Corsair Capellix products. The same Corsair guy also said that the pump would be louder at lower RPM, so I take both statements with a large grain of salt. If this work around allows the pump RPM to be lowered, I say give it a try while keeping a close eye on temps. If the coolant is not moving  you will know it.

If lowering the pump speed this way works and does not cause problems, then Corsair has some explaining to do. It will be interesting to see if any of the Corsair reps bother to respond to this with anything more than stating that lowering pump RPM by "hacking" the config file will void the warranty.

17 hours ago, SpeedyV said:

Its pretty clear that Corsair is not going to do anything about this. I have no idea why they said the pump will not be able to overcome loop resistance at lower RPM. Its just an Asetek Gen-6 pump, which I believe is used on many other manufacturer's AIO coolers that can run at lower RPM than the Corsair Capellix products. The same Corsair guy also said that the pump would be louder at lower RPM, so I take both statements with a large grain of salt. If this work around allows the pump RPM to be lowered, I say give it a try while keeping a close eye on temps. If the coolant is not moving  you will know it.

If lowering the pump speed this way works and does not cause problems, then Corsair has some explaining to do. It will be interesting to see if any of the Corsair reps bother to respond to this with anything more than stating that lowering pump RPM by "hacking" the config file will void the warranty.

I experienced the low noise pump now for 1 week and its amazing! The pump just works and there is nothing wrong with it when its running on 1950 / 1990RPM. The coolant pumps around and the temps are pretty the same. That means that it is possible and that it works

On 10/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, FireWarner said:

I experienced the low noise pump now for 1 week and its amazing! The pump just works and there is nothing wrong with it when its running on 1950 / 1990RPM. The coolant pumps around and the temps are pretty the same. That means that it is possible and that it works

This mod is extremely intriguing. Obviously Corsair won't recommend this but definitely something I'm going to keep my eye on. 

If you and any other adopters of this mod could keeps updated that would be great. You're our guinea pigs 😄

Btw, if anyone from Corsair is reading this: isn't this the kind of thing you could have been doing? You did state the pump won't work at lower RPMs, but has this actually been tested? Surely you could have done something similar to what posters here have done manually and run experiments on our behalf. Who knows, maybe you'll get proved wrong and the pumps can indeed be cut lower?

@FireWarner @Doggy How different/how much better are the noise levels now?

Edited by abc1
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:57 PM, Zodler said:

Maybe you can lower it but should you? They said it is physically not possible so maybe it will damage the system later if you do that?

If you were seriously dissatisfied with the cooler and were planning to replace it anyway would it really matter? You'd get warnings if the pump did start to break surely (rising temperatures) and you could stop using the PC/go ahead with the replacement? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abc1 said:

If you were seriously dissatisfied with the cooler and were planning to replace it anyway would it really matter? You'd get warnings if the pump did start to break surely (rising temperatures) and you could stop using the PC/go ahead with the replacement? 

Its not audible anymore, no high pitch anymore. 
The temps are basically the same and the coolant is moving around.
Its just working and this is the moment im happy with this product. Im 99% sure that is wont die because it works. i will keep u guys updated! 🙂

7 hours ago, abc1 said:

This mod is extremely intriguing. Obviously Corsair won't recommend this but definitely something I'm going to keep my eye on. 

If you and any other adopters of this mod could keeps updated that would be great. You're our guinea pigs 😄

Btw, if anyone from Corsair is reading this: isn't this the kind of thing you could have been doing? You did state the pump won't work at lower RPMs, but has this actually been tested? Surely you could have done something similar to what posters here have done manually and run experiments on our behalf. Who knows, maybe you'll get proved wrong and the pumps can indeed be cut lower?

I dont have a decibel meter but i can post some videos if you guys want to? when the mic is on the pump

9 hours ago, FireWarner said:

Its not audible anymore, no high pitch anymore. 
The temps are basically the same and the coolant is moving around.
Its just working and this is the moment im happy with this product. Im 99% sure that is wont die because it works. i will keep u guys updated! 🙂

Oh, this helps with the high pitch too? I'm definitely going to try it now. I did all my tests and I'm not happy. No matter what, I can still hear the high pitch noise when under load and my PC is under the table! I decided that I can't live with this noise and I was going to through this in the trash. I will test this mod before doing that and report back.

Edited by Zodler

18 hours ago, abc1 said:

The noise level is much more tolerable. I can enjoy a movie again in complete silence without a headset.

There is no noticeable difference in CPU temperature. I would say 0.5 degrees at max.

I can only recommend this mod because corsair doesn't want to fix his product.

• Like 1

Just now, Doggy said:

The noise level is much more tolerable. I can enjoy a movie again in complete silence without a headset.

There is no noticeable difference in CPU temperature. I would say 0.5 degrees at max.

I can only recommend this mod because corsair doesn't want to fix his product.

I totally Agree 🙂

• Like 1

Ok, I played with it a little. You have to change the Balanced profile. I changed the Quiet profile and it didn't work. It stayed at 2250 RPM. So go only to Balanced and change 85 to 50. Now I get 1950 RPM.

Must be because of pumpMode=0 that has no effect on Quiet.

Quiet
pumpMode: 0
fixedPercents: 75
fixedRpm: 2250

Balanced
pumpMode: 1
fixedPercents: 85  <-------------------- Change to 50 to get 1950 RPM
fixedRpm: 2450

Extreme
pumpMode: 2
fixedPercents: 100
fixedRpm: 2650

Edited by Zodler

Not sure about variable speed, but it does not seems variable, it is working around 2250rpm, a little lower than quiet, for me enough to avoid the pitch sound.

Edited by pulpitus

Original Poster here. 

after reading some of the latest posts, I decided to re-install the Capellix to try the cooling configuration change. 

as stated above - you need to change the balanced value from 85 to 50.

after updating the value now the pump RPM is now at 1970. 

It makes a huge difference, you can change between the pump profiles when changing to the balanced pump speed, the annoying noise is gone and silent from 3 feet away. I turned off all of my QL fans and "YES" still silent.

I would say this is almost at PAR with my H150i Pro which runs at 1100 RPM. 

there is no temperature difference. 

I really don't think 300-400 RPM is going to make any difference in performance but for the noise level, it is definitely worth it. 

Now I am thinking about buying the LCD addon which was just announced. 

I am wondering if the new LCD elite AIO version would be using the same coolit pump as current non LCD elite series. 

Two of my friends returned their Corsair Elite AIO for z73s because they couldn't handle the annoying noise.

I didn't want to run two ecosystems and waited for firmware update from corsair but the user community pulled through. Finally H150i Pro can go back to the closet. 

I really hope Corsair does not take this config mod away.

Thank you.