Corsair Community

AX1200i Buzz

aTs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replacement has the same issues.... no answer from RAMGUY regarding the technical side of the things... it has no point on receiving a replacement if they are all affected by the same issue...

@RAMGUY I'll sent an email on your Customer Support to send me another pickup tag, but please answer me why the PSU (all of them) are doing this...

• Corsair Employee

ATs it has to be something on your side is all I can say the units you have sent back all have passed our testing. And do not display a Buzzing sound at 220 Volts or at 110 Volts. Even up to 260 Volts. However at 1200 Watts they will not be totally quiet and will have some noise associated with them.

And if you do not want to post the RMA# I am sorry there is nothing I can do.

Hey,

You have indeed replaced my PSU three times; the fourth I was not reached in time by the carrier and you withdrew the shipping tag. I don't want to replace my Power Supply due to the fact that ALL of the received ones had this ISSUE.

I don't want to get a replacement that will exhibit the same symptoms... and unless there is a batch change or a revision or a scientifically proven explanation why your product does not work as it should I am not willing to have my workstation (I can't use my computer without a PSU, can I?) down for a replacement that will not fix the problem.

Today is a very difficult day for me as I can not work in my workstation due to your power supply's Buzzing noise, this is both costing me money and time spent on trying to fix this when I could be working. This is unacceptable.

For the record (again as I've told you for a number of times already...) this is how your power supply sounds for the most part of the day...which to me is unbearable.

Link here:

and seriously... don't tell me AGAIN that you can't hear it or distinguish it from the fan noise. also I've tested like 5 power supplies of different capacities and one that was 1300W from Tagan [higher than yours, no buzz and was dead silent]; all of them did not produce any noise whatsoever... it only seems to be happening with this PSU. I've tested also a corsair CX600 here which did not buzz so it has to be something that's specific to that unit model (or that series I haven't tested with other i-series power supplies).

Thanks a lot for your time...

Hey,

You have indeed replaced my PSU three times; the fourth I was not reached in time by the carrier and you withdrew the shipping tag. I don't want to replace my Power Supply due to the fact that ALL of the received ones had this ISSUE.

I don't want to get a replacement that will exhibit the same symptoms... and unless there is a batch change or a revision or a scientifically proven explanation why your product does not work as it should I am not willing to have my workstation (I can't use my computer without a PSU, can I?) down for a replacement that will not fix the problem.

Today is a very difficult day for me as I can not work in my workstation due to your power supply's Buzzing noise, this is both costing me money and time spent on trying to fix this when I could be working. This is unacceptable.

For the record (again as I've told you for a number of times already...) this is how your power supply sounds for the most part of the day...which to me is unbearable.

Link here:

and seriously... don't tell me AGAIN that you can't hear it or distinguish it from the fan noise. also I've tested like 5 power supplies of different capacities and one that was 1300W from Tagan [higher than yours, no buzz and was dead silent]; all of them did not produce any noise whatsoever... it only seems to be happening with this PSU. I've tested also a corsair CX600 here which did not buzz so it has to be something that's specific to that unit model (or that series I haven't tested with other i-series power supplies).

Thanks a lot for your time...

I feel your pain bro, even after several replacements, i'm still stuck with a noisy AX1200i...

Corsair must get their stuff together to fix this issue for good on the AX and AXi series.

Seriously, it's totally unacceptable and it's getting beyond ridiculous!

I hope this buzzing noise issue will be fixed in a later batch...

For what it is worth, I am currently running a Corsair AX1200i and haven't experienced the buzzing noise at idle or under load as reported here.

The power supply is connected to a 1500VA UPS which is then connected to a 1500 VA line conditioner then to the wall. The power here isn't exactly the cleanest in the world (frequent brown-outs, spikes, etc) so it was a no brainer to me to protect my computer equipment component investments over the years.

Since implementing the equipment several years ago, and replacing every 5 years, I have only experienced two power supply related issues. First issue was due to a faulty mod performed by a third party retailer and the second was due to component failure within the six year old PSU itself.

I'm in no way implying that the issues with buzzing are caused from power from the wall yet from my past experiences I'd recommend having the incoming power checked first prior to directing fault at the power supply.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, but should you've gone a bit earlier in the thread you'd see that I've got a Server Grade UPS [APC's Smart X 1500VA/1200W UPS] which outputs a Pure Sine-wave[1] and it was bought for that same reason; to protect my investment over the years. I've also tried replacing the UPS using APC's excellent service but to no avail. The AX1200i kept buzzing. I am more than willing to help Corsair Diagnose the problem...but to do that I'd have to open the PSU itself in order to stick an oscilloscope and a multimeter in there and get some readings but that would void my warranty...

[1]: Pure Sine-Wave output means you get the cleanest possible power for sensitive electronic devices and is used where stability and reliability is a must; should you want to lean more Google it.

Not an issue. As a side note since this has dragged me so long and I am quite dissatisfied with this product I am thinking that I should ditch AX1200i somehow and get an EVGA Platinum P2 instead...

As another side note, strangely enough the PSU itself works flawlessly; electrical output and jitter is marvelous but it has that extremely annoying and loud buzz. My electrical engineering background says that this noise is quite possibly generated by the transformers used but as I said to evaluate that claim I'd have to open the PSU itself, which unless I get a written permission from corsair to do that without voiding my warranty I won't do (and I assume they won't give it to me either :P).

• Corsair Employee

I'm sorry if I missed this early on in the thread... it's quite long. ;)

Only the first run of AXi's had the buzzing noise. It was addressed early on (like, 9 months ago). So either your replacements were still older revisions, or the sound is coming from something other than the PSU. You're positive it's from the PSU, right? I just have to ask because when I worked for BFG, a number of graphics cards we tested would make the exact same noise as a buzzing PSU and for you to have so many buzzing AX1200i's... well.. the odds are kind of against you. ;)

If you want to PM me the serial number, etc. off the unit, I can check with engineering to see how early, or late, your PSU is. Could be you just keep getting early revisions of the PSU.

Well shoot anything at me that's in the legal bounds of not voiding my warranty. I am a certified electrical engineer so I certainly know my way around things.

What baffles me more is that the sound disappears completely when I am on battery and back on when I am on mains. I can't really open the unit so I can't really distinguish where the noise is coming from exactly but it doesn't sound like coil whine it sound more like transformer conversion noise.

I can surely give you the numbers so you can check, that would help; I really like Corsair and I've never had any problems with their products so far... this is a first and a strange situation but I want to try to resolve it.

• Corsair Employee
Yeah... that's actually a common problem with A LOT of PSUs out there when they first retrofitted their +5VSB circuit to meet the ErP2013 stand by efficiency standard last year. You're correct in assuming the noise is coming from a transformer. Most likely, the +5VSB transformer. But I wouldn't suggest a self fix necessarily. Just PM me your PSU's serial #, etc. and I'll see what I can do given your extraordinary circumstances.

For what it is worth, I am currently running a Corsair AX1200i and haven't experienced the buzzing noise at idle or under load as reported here.

The power supply is connected to a 1500VA UPS which is then connected to a 1500 VA line conditioner then to the wall. The power here isn't exactly the cleanest in the world (frequent brown-outs, spikes, etc) so it was a no brainer to me to protect my computer equipment component investments over the years.

Since implementing the equipment several years ago, and replacing every 5 years, I have only experienced two power supply related issues. First issue was due to a faulty mod performed by a third party retailer and the second was due to component failure within the six year old PSU itself.

I'm in no way implying that the issues with buzzing are caused from power from the wall yet from my past experiences I'd recommend having the incoming power checked first prior to directing fault at the power supply.

My house electrical current is fine, the buzzing noise only started when I replaced my old Corsair HX850 to an AX1200i.

I've then replaced it like 4 times for the same model and the issue persisted.

I have now an AX1200 (not the i version), it doesn't buzz and it is quiet just as my previous HX850.

So I think it's safe to say that there's definitely something wrong with these AXi power supplies.

Yeah... that's actually a common problem with A LOT of PSUs out there when they first retrofitted their +5VSB circuit to meet the ErP2013 stand by efficiency standard last year. You're correct in assuming the noise is coming from a transformer. Most likely, the +5VSB transformer. But I wouldn't suggest a self fix necessarily. Just PM me your PSU's serial #, etc. and I'll see what I can do given your extraordinary circumstances.

Corsair should tell their PSU's manufacturer to fix this issue ASAP.

There's alot of affected units out there with alot of angry customers experiencing the same irritating issue, including myself.

1. HX850 = Quiet

2. AX1200i = Buzz

3. AX1200i = Buzz

4. AX1200i = Buzz

5. AX1200i = Buzz

6. AX1200 = Quiet

:sigh!:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

aTs: Henry should have gotten a hold of you about a replacement.

Anyone else: The problem is really "random". It depends on the PSU, the load, the components used, etc.

I'm not trying to skirt responsibility but IF you have a buzz, you need to tell support what's going on and they should be able to help you.

Hey,

I have not received such an e-mail, are you sure you are using the correct e-mail address? The RMA number (that was lastly assigned to me) is the following: #5712749

Let me know if you require anything else... and above else thanks for helping me resolve this ongoing issue.

EDIT: Mail received.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to chip in and say that although Corsair have been helpful I am left WITHOUT a PSU for almost a month. They said AFTER they received it that they were out of stock and that they would get more stock in 7/11. I think they should have told me beforehand that they did not have a replacement available and do the swap after they received some units... at least I hope that the new one will not be problematic. I'll update this thread when I receive my unit... half a month from now. :/

Archived