Corsair Community

AX1200i Buzz

aTs

• Corsair Employee
The Video is not conclusive that this sound you have described is cumming from the PSU. I hear a wiring sound that sounds more like a harmonic sound from two or more fans resonating. To be sure it is not from your fans can you turn off all the fans and try it again? Or as many as you can with out risk of damaging the system?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

This sound was heard just after I installed the PSU and powered up my system, it wasn't there before (I am not that crazy!). But I tried disabling all the fans that were not plugged in your H100 (I have 3 fans runs running out of it). I sure can try recording it again... with the fans off just to show you this but I am sure I would have picked it if it was fan related; if you can't take my word for it then, sure I'll record it again.

Let me know.

• Corsair Employee

Your word is the not the issue here so please dont take it that way.

I am merely making suggestions to isolate the sound, to be more sure of the issue...

And I would get the system making that sound and unplug the fans to the H100 to be sure its not from the fans it will not hurt it. If it continues please contact our customer service with your previous RMA# and we will take care of you or let me know and I will have them replace it at our expense.

Hey,

No! No! I didn't take it badly! You are being very, very helpful. I'll unplug all the fans I can and re-capture the video right now; it should not take that long. I'll update this post when I do with a link to the video as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, my upload is horrid... and I have first to upload something for work... once I get it up I'll upload the video on YouTube... Sorry for that!

Sorry got hold up at work!

I just managed to upload the video, with (as it's description says) almost all fans turned off. The resonating murmur can now heard even better, this is coming from the PSU... here is the link:

Finally I personally guarantee that all my other components work as they should and nothing is wrong with them... since when I swap the PSU with the Enermax I had before this sound is not present... (I can get that on tape as well if you'd like!)

Let me know what you think,

Cheers.

• Corsair Employee
I have sent a message to our customer service and asked them to arrange another replacement at our expense. They should contact you today with more information maybe Monday at the latest as it takes sometime to arrange the shipping.

Sorry got hold up at work!

I just managed to upload the video, with (as it's description says) almost all fans turned off. The resonating murmur can now heard even better, this is coming from the PSU... here is the link:

Finally I personally guarantee that all my other components work as they should and nothing is wrong with them... since when I swap the PSU with the Enermax I had before this sound is not present... (I can get that on tape as well if you'd like!)

Cheers.

Mine makes that same sound for moments... It usually won't long more than 20 minutes... It is electric noise..

For the rest, the power supply works ok..

Hey,

Mine is constant unfortunately... Moreover I really doubt this would deemed normal for a power supply... not to mention for a branded one which bears the name Corsair...

PS Can you look at these two power supplies and tell me what went wrong with them? I am really curious to know what went wrong... and if I can help you solve these issues I'd be glad to do so!! (of course this will keep more owners of these units hapy and away from such issues!)

PS2: when I tested both of these power my oscilloscope shows that the power is quite clean on both AX1200i units I received.

Thanks again RAMGuy,

Will keep you posted...

Hey....

More bad news.... Buzzing is back. After two days of it being silent nothing stopped from starting it again. The power coming to my home is clean, I've checked it with a Multimeter and a portable Oscilloscope that I borrowed from my lab at work. This is the only PSU that I've tried that makes this kind of noise so I really REALLY don't think my components or the power grid here are at fault.

Now I've got both murmur as well as the buzzing. Here is a video on you-tube showing the buzzing with AC on and with UPS On/Off as well... the buzzing is loud and shadows the murmur a bit but it can still be heard.

Here is the link:

Please Corsair... do something about this... it's getting very irritating.

Hey,

At first I didn't not exhibit the same behavior, as the old one; it only did a resonating murmur as you can hear from the respective videos. After 4 days it started buzzing (sometimes on and off) again. You can see the video that I've posted and I've marked the periods that the PC is on battery (no buzzing, only murmur) and the the ones that it's on AC Grid power (both buzzing and murmur).

I am waiting for my second replacement... (I am in the process of sending it back with your provided label).

Thanks again.

Seeing how many people have coil whine problems with practically all Corsair PSU models leads me to wonder what kind of changes Corsair does to the OEM designs that could cause this in so wide scale. Seems like in absolute best case the PSUs are fine but as soon as the PSU gets out of the ideal lab environment we users have coil whining horrors in our hands.

I wish Corsair had office near by so I could demonstrate this problem to the tech guys. For some reason they supposedly can't replicate this issue which I find impossible for the amount of RMAs they are getting because of over this. Get out of your lab guys and go test it to the customer side for once.

Only other brand having so much coil whine problems is Seasonic. I don't of course know what you customize in your PSUs but does it happen to have anything to do with Seasonic platforms? Because not only your Seasonic based models have this problem, these insanely good performance Flextronics and the decent CWT models are coil whining too.

I have had this problem in 3 different houses, 3 different PCs and Super Flower, Chieftec, Antec, Enermax etc. PSUs have been dead silent without any coil whining. Soo... now on my third coil whining Corsair PSU I am really starting to question the build quality of your products because they do perform well but... BUT... coil whine like no other. With spectacular propability.

I am now hesitating to replace my second coil whining AX750 with this. Seems like very likely to continue my problem isntead of fixing it and I hate to keep sending these to RMA all the time only to receive equally whining unit back.

PS- Take a look at Super Flower Platinum series. No coil whining complains, good performers too with superb build quality. That is where I am heading unless you start doing something about this coil whining problem instead of ignoring it and blaming bad electricity from wall sockets. Clearly, your PSUs are too sensitive to use anywhere but in your lab.

Sorry for very long post. But as your very loyal (soon ex) customer I am now officially fed up. We demand answers. :[pouts:

E: fun fact, while I am typing this my AX750 seems like it wants to talk to me. I just don't understand the squealing it makes.

• Corsair Employee

GC_PaNzerFIN

The first thing that comes to mind is that we are selling a rather large volume of PSU's in excess of 100K per month so while there are more than one person that have stated they have an issue it is still a small number in comparison.

Second and more importantly, coil wine or BUZZ can be caused by a multitude of different things from a flaky Video driver/firmware to a bad ground on the wiring or just noisy power coming form the wall. And yes a coil inside the PSU could not have been securely mounted in production which can also cause that type of issue.

Thirdly all of our PSU's are made to our design specs so whoever the respective OEM who makes the units for us is irrelevant.

So all of this factored in we have to look at ever case on its own merits and the make determination based in available information. You Cannot just put all of the cases into one group and call is a design flaw as that is just not the case.

Even thought you see for example three people all stating they have a coil wine on their PSU it would be caused by three different issues not necessarily the PSU is at fault in every instance.

I guess what I am trying to say here is keep an open mind; start your own thread, and explain the issue and provide your system spec and we will be happy to help you.

In your case you have a totally different model so it may or may not be related to the O.P. in this thread. However it is not polite to take over his thread so please with all due respect please let's look at the issue you see in your own thread!

Ats

Yes I am waiting to get the unit back so we can test it we did find an issue with the first unit that was sent back and our engineering is looking in to the issue.

• 1 month later...

Third replacement.... same thing. I've uploaded a new video (I sent an email to your email address but go no reply just a bump that my message has been forwarded to the appropriate department...; still no answer as of yet.)

I really am not crazy... and I DON'T like having my rig with problems and running on borrowed or spare power supplies... I've been on and off PSUs for the past couple of months; I bought a PSU that I really cannot enjoy, since it makes this buzzing noise; which to most people is very, VERY irritating.

Maybe I got in a faulty batch, but I've tried (all the PSUs) in different rooms, houses and so on... the only ones that did this kind of loud buzz were only AX1200i's. Could you please find a solution... as swapping PSUs that will make the same noise as this is clearly not a solution; a solution would be to give me a fully working product, which I have yet to see.

here is a link with the new one:

I didn't respond earlier since I was not able to receive the replacement unit before the Christmas holidays and (as one can imagine) due to that I was away from home for two or so weeks; now I am back... as well as the problem with the buzzing (came to haunt me for the Halloween that's coming close?)

Thanks.

I have just bought an ax1200i and there is a slight humming and popping sound. Sounds like Iam stood near a power staition. Is this normal I had a tx750 and did not hear a noise like this.

Could this just be because there is no fan on making a noise so you hear more noise.or is it down to the link software controling the voltage. Any input would be most welcome thanks

• Corsair Employee

With High wattage PSU's it is not uncommon for them to make some noise especially under load, but with the system closed up and running all of the fans you should not hear it above all of the other nose in your system.

ATS I am getting an updated testing report on your returned PSU's and will follow up with you ASAP

I bought a new AX1200i (it's being returned to Scan who I bought it from because I bought a new unit and it had already been opened) and it's fine when turned on, the start up fan noise is annoying but bearable.

My issue with the PSU was a loud high frequency noise when the PC was turned off. So bad that it stopped me going to sleep at night until I flicked the big switch on the rear to stop power to it.

Really not what I expected from such an expensive PSU. I'm getting a refund as I'm not happy but I'm wondering if it's worth picking up another. Is this issue common? It's a real deal breaker for me.

Come on Corsair, you have such a good reputation! Don't let your quality and attention to detail fall down.

PS: The Corsair Link software wasn't bad but never showed anything other than 99% efficiency and the PCIE AMP Limit stuff is useless.

Archived