Jump to content
Corsair Community

Corsair One i164 Bluescreens


Recommended Posts

I'm in the same boat... love the form factor of the machine. I've literally put it in a backpack and taken it to a friend's house.

 

I'll keep saying this till I'm blue in the face (or they ban me from the forums)... Corsair's 'Award winning support' is a participation award. Stay Away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Yet another victim of the i64's faulty NVME drive here. Constant BDODs with volmgr unable to produce the dump file. Scans reveal the drive has thousands of unfixable bad sectors.

 

Is there an explanation from Corsair why these drives are failing in only 1-2 years of moderate use? Either they used a crappy OEM product from Samsung, or the GPU riser design puts too much thermal load on the nvme slot.

 

To make matters worse, I jumped through a lot of hoops to install Windows on the secondary drive as a workaround, only to find that my $3500 top of the range computer has a HDD that is so slow that Windows 10 slows to an unusable crawl due to the budget 5400rpm drive. Even the laptop I bought in 2011 had a faster HDD than this apparently premium product from Corsair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am having this exact same issue! Is there somewhere a guide to replacing the SSD on the Corsair ONE i160? I am new to PC self repair but I would like to try it! I need my computer to work.

Edited by auriea
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, auriea said:

I am having this exact same issue! Is there somewhere a guide to replacing the SSD on the Corsair ONE i160? I am new to PC self repair but I would like to try it! I need my computer to work.

excuse me, I mean the Corsair One i164, that's the one I have. I cannot find a teardown guide for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I experienced the same issue. The BSODs started to occur more and more frequently. Each time the BIOS couldn't locate the SSD for a while. I managed to solve the issue by replacing the SSD with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB. The replacement was a bit difficult, so Corsair should make a guide. In short as I remember it, it was done like this:

  1. Open the top lid by pressing the button in the back. 
  2. Detach the fan cable and put the fan aside.
  3. Open side panel where the graphics card is located.
  4. Unscrew something like 6 to 8 screws to losen the card.
  5. Detach the wide cable to the left that I think connects the main board and graphics card.
  6. Then it is possible to partially lift the graphics card up to reveal the SSD in the middle. 
  7. The SSD is fastened with one golden screw. Unscrew and pull the SSD out.
  8. Replace with the new SSD and put it all together again.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having the same issue with i165 model. Started about 2 weeks ago.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, Karmabass said:

To make matters worse, I jumped through a lot of hoops to install Windows on the secondary drive as a workaround, only to find that my $3500 top of the range computer has a HDD that is so slow that Windows 10 slows to an unusable crawl due to the budget 5400rpm drive. Even the laptop I bought in 2011 had a faster HDD than this apparently premium product from Corsair.

I did the same. Noticed that the crashes became less frequent, but still had crashes nonetheless. Similarly did not enjoy the speed decrease so swapped it with a samsung 870 today. Going to test it out for a bit today and see how it goes.

 

On 8/6/2021 at 6:43 AM, frode.bjerkholt said:

I experienced the same issue. The BSODs started to occur more and more frequently. Each time the BIOS couldn't locate the SSD for a while. I managed to solve the issue by replacing the SSD with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB. The replacement was a bit difficult, so Corsair should make a guide. In short as I remember it, it was done like this:

  1. Open the top lid by pressing the button in the back. 
  2. Detach the fan cable and put the fan aside.
  3. Open side panel where the graphics card is located.
  4. Unscrew something like 6 to 8 screws to losen the card.
  5. Detach the wide cable to the left that I think connects the main board and graphics card.
  6. Then it is possible to partially lift the graphics card up to reveal the SSD in the middle. 
  7. The SSD is fastened with one golden screw. Unscrew and pull the SSD out.
  8. Replace with the new SSD and put it all together again.

Big thanks for sharing this. I also had trouble tracking down a teardown guide. Going to hold off on this approach for now but will keep it in mind. How long ago did you swap the SSD?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I replaced the SSD about two weeks ago. Hopefully the new drive will survive a lot longer. I noticed that the new 970 EVO is a bit thicker than the original drive, so it might be more resilient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have installed ICUE 4 and changed the Cooling Presets to Custom (58% fixed speed). The noise level is only slightly higher than default. The nice thing is that the average CPU Coolant temp is 10-12C degrees lower than before. This will most likely reduce the stress on the SSD. Please note that all though the setting is fixed, it will adapt to higher speed if necessary. Before the change I typically saw a temp of 42C. Now it is about 30C. Perhaps Corsair should change the defaults to a higher fan speed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same issue back in June. Corsair wanted to do a RMA that should not take longer than 2 Weeks (lol...).

My i164 is now for 2 months and Support is not even responding anymore. The promised me an updated System back in July, but once again it was a lie and they still shipped nothing.

This was a 4000€ System in Germany when I bought it.

I learned my Lessons with Corsair.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello guys,

I'm the one more guy  with theses problems ! but where i'm special is that i dont own one i164 but two !!!
I first purschased mine in april 2020 with many problems, at this time not so much post to speak about it here and doesnt have much time.
I asked for RMA and paid a second time 4248euros x2 = 8496e = 9 940$ !! but with all my test, updating software bios i thought problem was fixed  and the new pc was working ok. but i was wrong it was just because first pc was given to my brother for youtube and facebook and mine dont have the time to play more than 1 or 2 old game.  But since a tried to play to last 5year big AAA game like pubg or call of duty ! 

Badadoom BSOD more and more ! I never wanted to touch something on the hardware in order to keep warranty.

I just created a new ticket for both of my I164 but when i see you post i'm more than worried.

  • Does changing the SSD loose warranty?.
  • when, you changed the SSD how you reinstall window 10 on it has i have no Disk with the computer, does it recognise our product key automaticaly because it's an OEM product?
  • I have an brand new 860 EVO SATA 3 i never used yet can replaced the HDD?

 

Thanks for your help, i really scared that the only solution is to do like always did in the past, build my own pcs.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kookla2 said:

when, you changed the SSD how you reinstall window 10 on it has i have no Disk with the computer, does it recognise our product key automaticaly because it's an OEM product?

I had a made USB recovery drive (You should always make one just in case). When restoring from this drive there is no need to enter any product key (OEM) - It knows the key automatically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kookla2 said:

I have an brand new 860 EVO SATA 3 i never used yet can replaced the HDD?

The replacement drive should be a M.2 drive looking like this:

1933279003_970EVOPlusNVMeM.2.thumb.png.e2ee100db76c6da2436b735a29de3d29.png

The real size of the SSD is approximately 8cm x 2cm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
On 8/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, Kookla2 said:

 

  • Does changing the SSD loose warranty?.
  • when, you changed the SSD how you reinstall window 10 on it has i have no Disk with the computer, does it recognise our product key automaticaly because it's an OEM product?
  • I have an brand new 860 EVO SATA 3 i never used yet can replaced the HDD?

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.  I'm glad you created a ticket.  To answer your question though:

  • No it doesn't.  But in the event that you do have to RMA the unit, you'll have to send it in with the old SSD so please hold on to it.
  • You can install Windows by formatting a separate Windows Installation thumb drive.  The key is loaded directly onto the motherboard so once you finish the install Windows should pick up your key.
  • Yes you can replace the HDD if you'd like.  Same rule applies however in the event of an RMA, you'll also need to send the old drive back.

Hope this helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 8:12 AM, frode.bjerkholt said:

I had a made USB recovery drive (You should always make one just in case). When restoring from this drive there is no need to enter any product key (OEM) - It knows the key automatically.

I have one  UBS key bootable to install a fresh window from 2 year ago but i dont have any "CD KEY" or sticker on the computer after reinstall. How activate after installation done?

On 8/12/2021 at 8:30 AM, frode.bjerkholt said:

The replacement drive should be a M.2 drive looking like this:

1933279003_970EVOPlusNVMeM.2.thumb.png.e2ee100db76c6da2436b735a29de3d29.png

The real size of the SSD is approximately 8cm x 2cm. 

Yes already received 980 Pro and waiting WD 850 black 😛 But didnt decide yet if i will put this in both I164 because first i can see i will loose my warranty right? after removing the top fan i can see 2 warranty stickers....

18 hours ago, Corsair Caliente said:

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.  I'm glad you created a ticket.  To answer your question though:

  • No it doesn't.  But in the event that you do have to RMA the unit, you'll have to send it in with the old SSD so please hold on to it.
  • You can install Windows by formatting a separate Windows Installation thumb drive.  The key is loaded directly onto the motherboard so once you finish the install Windows should pick up your key.
  • Yes you can replace the HDD if you'd like.  Same rule applies however in the event of an RMA, you'll also need to send the old drive back.

Hope this helps!

If i try to replace both NVME SSD by better one's and it doesnt fix it at all, if i put back the orignal NVME would RMA will still work? if yes can possibilty to have an offical paper from the RMA service? because i can see there is warranty stickers after removing top fan.
So if pick up, last window build at microsoft and install it threw my usb stick it will recognize it at the end of installation right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still getting this error while running on a brand new SSD. I am at a loss as to what the issue is and why it's happening.

Also updated iCUE to latest version and it seems to not be able to detect the main system as a device anymore?

It's still able to gather sensor data but I'm no longer able to change the Corsair One's RGB or fan settings. Really annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mistacool said:

I'm still getting this error while running on a brand new SSD. I am at a loss as to what the issue is and why it's happening.

Also updated iCUE to latest version and it seems to not be able to detect the main system as a device anymore?

It's still able to gather sensor data but I'm no longer able to change the Corsair One's RGB or fan settings. Really annoying.

yes that's why i didnt tryied to change for new SSD for now but for the fan, i delete all data everywhere for icue 4 but also ICUE 3 archive and reinstall latest version of ICUE 4 and now i can play again with the fan, i tuned fixed it to 100% by now and feel it better.
i also uninstalled corsair diagnostic both this helped my PC, i dont know how but feel faster.
 

But crashed again yesterday after 10Min of Call of duty, not in game but 30s after closing the game. i experience more during game and after closing the game. usually i dont get any BSOD if it start the computer and doesnt lunch any high ressources games. But after lunching it can happen at any time even on windows loggon !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
On 8/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, Kookla2 said:

If i try to replace both NVME SSD by better one's and it doesnt fix it at all, if i put back the orignal NVME would RMA will still work? if yes can possibilty to have an offical paper from the RMA service? because i can see there is warranty stickers after removing top fan.
So if pick up, last window build at microsoft and install it threw my usb stick it will recognize it at the end of installation right? 

I don't have anything official from the RMA team but our policy remains the same in that as long as you send back the PC with the original NVMe SSD then your RMA will still work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought my i64 in December, and as of last week was getting the WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR BSODs, and eventually was having issues with being in BIOS loops. After reading this thread, and checking my BIOS I realized that the NVME SSD appears to be the issue, like others here have described. In BIOS the NVME SSD was no longer being detected. 

 

I followed the steps to replace my NVME SSD as posted by @frode.bjerkholt, and tentatively I can say that it appears to have helped. I will definitely report back if I have issues again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
17 hours ago, redkatie3 said:

I bought my i64 in December, and as of last week was getting the WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR BSODs, and eventually was having issues with being in BIOS loops. After reading this thread, and checking my BIOS I realized that the NVME SSD appears to be the issue, like others here have described. In BIOS the NVME SSD was no longer being detected. 

 

I followed the steps to replace my NVME SSD as posted by @frode.bjerkholt, and tentatively I can say that it appears to have helped. I will definitely report back if I have issues again. 

Hey Katie,

That's good to hear.  We're currently looking into this right now but are limited in test units.  Let us know if you run into any issues after swapping out the SSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not fully convinced it's an NVME SSD specific issue. Having experienced the error on both 2.5" HDD as well as a replacement 2.5" SSD, and now getting errors with iCUE as well, I'm starting to think it is some conflict between Windows and iCUE firmware or drivers. Fresh Windows installs seem to work OK for only so long until it decides it wants to update. What's driving me nuts right now is that the latest version of iCUE can only pick up my keyboard, so I'm prevented from adjusting my system's fan speeds.

Capture.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

just a quick update on my two I164:


I unistalled both ICUE 3/4 (files+program), corsair diagnostic and then reinstall ICUE 4 and it brings me back control on my FAN. i decide to set to 100 fixed.

And it didnt BSOD for 2/3 day before i decided to test a crystal disk mark. And after less a minute, BSOD again. i was monitoring my SSD temperature with HWINFO, i could tell it crashed after the temperature reached 80°+ celcius.


So like everybody i'm doubtfull changing to a new SSD help but i have two in my hand ( a WD Back and a 980 pro) so i'm waiting new answer from support, i ve send them the Elegato archive i've done just after the BSOD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have been facing constant BSOD for the past couple months, and I am just tiny bit relived that this is not only happening to me. The Blue screen happened about 3 times a week initially, and later it eventually start to blue screen as soon as the computer boot. I have tried almost everything. 

Here are a list of errors I was experiencing:
1. There was bios looping where I was kept on booting into the bios and could not boot into windows.
2. After I boot into Windows, the system does not recognize any of my mouse click but registered keyboard completely fine. I switched mouse and the same issue persisted. 
3. The computer randomly shuts off to a black screen and restarts immediately with no error code. And this could repeat for multiple times.
4. Blue screen of death. Error code includes: kernel mode trap, whea_uncorrectable_error. 
 
Solutions I have tried so far: (none has worked)
1. Reverting windows update. Some people were getting blue screen because of the April windows update, but it was not the cause of my issue as my pc was erroring since mid March and reverting the update did not fix the blue screen. 
2. Updating gpu drivers. 
3. Uninstalled Valorant and it’s anti-cheat (vanguard). Did not fix the issue. 
4. unplugging the power cord and reconnect the PC. It worked initially and the PC would be fine for a day or two, but eventually the blue screen appears more frequently and this method is no longer feasible. 
5. Cleaning the dust off the chassis. 
6. Clean windows OS reset. The blue screen still occurred without installing any application. 
 
More recently towards the end of august 2021, the corsair support send me this link: 
 
But none of these worked. 
 
I have sent this PC back for repair once already, and it took them 2 months to tell me that they could not reproduce the BSOD. So they sent the PC back, and guess what, the BSOD happened again. 
 
At this point, I am starting to think corsair is using some cheap hardware that is causing this BSOD to all of us, and it is honestly disgusting how this issue has not been addressed yet. 
 
I guess I will send this PC back again and pray for a miracle. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, bazwelle said:

I also did the same and replaced my M2 with a 970 Evo Plus. I realized it was the M2 failing when I couldn't boot anymore and trying to install Windows 10 from a USB key would fail while I was above 30% installed status. The error would be "Error 0X800701B1 'A device which does not exist was specified'" thus the M2 failing.

 

Since replacing it with 970 Evo Plus, everything is fine for now 2 weeks. We've seen a lot of people indicating the same thing so I'm hoping it's a defect with the line of the original M2 and not something else causing early failure such as heat from the GPU in a Corsair One.

Do you have any updates as to confirming if replacing the boot SSD drive fix the issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
15 hours ago, wagagagaggag said:

I have been facing constant BSOD for the past couple months, and I am just tiny bit relived that this is not only happening to me. The Blue screen happened about 3 times a week initially, and later it eventually start to blue screen as soon as the computer boot. I have tried almost everything. 

Here are a list of errors I was experiencing:
1. There was bios looping where I was kept on booting into the bios and could not boot into windows.
2. After I boot into Windows, the system does not recognize any of my mouse click but registered keyboard completely fine. I switched mouse and the same issue persisted. 
3. The computer randomly shuts off to a black screen and restarts immediately with no error code. And this could repeat for multiple times.
4. Blue screen of death. Error code includes: kernel mode trap, whea_uncorrectable_error. 
 
Solutions I have tried so far: (none has worked)
1. Reverting windows update. Some people were getting blue screen because of the April windows update, but it was not the cause of my issue as my pc was erroring since mid March and reverting the update did not fix the blue screen. 
2. Updating gpu drivers. 
3. Uninstalled Valorant and it’s anti-cheat (vanguard). Did not fix the issue. 
4. unplugging the power cord and reconnect the PC. It worked initially and the PC would be fine for a day or two, but eventually the blue screen appears more frequently and this method is no longer feasible. 
5. Cleaning the dust off the chassis. 
6. Clean windows OS reset. The blue screen still occurred without installing any application. 
 
More recently towards the end of august 2021, the corsair support send me this link: 
 
But none of these worked. 
 
I have sent this PC back for repair once already, and it took them 2 months to tell me that they could not reproduce the BSOD. So they sent the PC back, and guess what, the BSOD happened again. 
 
At this point, I am starting to think corsair is using some cheap hardware that is causing this BSOD to all of us, and it is honestly disgusting how this issue has not been addressed yet. 
 
I guess I will send this PC back again and pray for a miracle. 

 

 

Sorry that you're experiencing this issue.  We're having trouble replicating the error but are looking into it.

I'll have one of our agents reach out to you.  We'll most likely push for an RMA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...