Corsair Community

Corsair One i164 Bluescreens

27 minutes ago, vett93 said:

How did you replace the SSD? Did you clone the 970 EVO to 970 EVO Plus with some tool first?

I think my unit came with the OEM version of the Samsung 980 Pro. At ambient temperature around 22C, the SSD would measure between 55C and 62C. It is a PCIe Gen4 SSD and so it runs warmer. (970 variants are PCIe Gen3 SSDs.) Hopefully, the Pro version would make it more robust. 

No, I prefer a fresh install.

I just replace the SSD, boot via Windows Media USB, then fresh install.

You may also clone it first using any common partition software.

Yes, my i145s supports gen3 only, so I choose 970 Evo Plus.

I have the same issue - original system was replaced due to repeated bluescreen and now the replacement unit is doing it too.  Looks like this is a design flaw rather than an isolated issue - at the price of the machines there should be a product recall for something so fundamental.  I have raised a ticket and hope to have it resolved.

7 minutes ago, SimonH said:

I have the same issue - original system was replaced due to repeated bluescreen and now the replacement unit is doing it too.  Looks like this is a design flaw rather than an isolated issue - at the price of the machines there should be a product recall for something so fundamental.  I have raised a ticket and hope to have it resolved.

I think the heat is what damages the SSD. How long has your replacement SSD last? What is the temperature of the SSD  you have observed?

I got the replacement system (whole unit not just SSD) in June this year so it has been maybe 4-5 months of fairly light use.  How do I see the temp of the SSD?  I can see CPU and GPU temp in iCUE but not sure how to see the SSD temp?

2 hours ago, SimonH said:

I got the replacement system (whole unit not just SSD) in June this year so it has been maybe 4-5 months of fairly light use.  How do I see the temp of the SSD?  I can see CPU and GPU temp in iCUE but not sure how to see the SSD temp?

I use Samsung Magician - You can download it here: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SimonH said:

You can see SSD temp in the iCUE too, by selecting it in the upper left corner. (the left most icon in the upper right)

image.thumb.png.99a5cdb8f574bace273605d17577d1a1.png

11 minutes ago, vett93 said:

You can see SSD temp in the iCUE too, by selecting it in the upper left corner. (the left most icon in the upper right)

image.thumb.png.99a5cdb8f574bace273605d17577d1a1.png

Thanks - I don't have a SSD option showing up in iCUE but the samsung programme works fine for me.  Temp is 62 with only a browser open, which seems hot to me

I increase the top fan speed to 950rpm minimum. I think that would help the SSD temperature when CPU is not too hot. The SSD on my machine is mounted on the front of the motherboard. The SSD on your machine is probably mounted in the rear. So they may behave differently.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, frode.bjerkholt said:

I have replaced the SSD in my i164 with this one: 1933279003_970EVOPlusNVMeM.2.thumb.png.e2ee100db76c6da2436b735a29de3d29.png

I have had no problems for 2 months now. However I will recommend setting the iCUE cooling presets to 65% to keep the drive temperature below 60°C for most of the time. I agree with @zero_scriptsthat this probably is a heating/air flow issue.

Hi,

Is this PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0?

Any issues since?

Thanks for your info

Hi All,

This has been a very fustrating journey for all of us. I am glad to have found this thread. I too started experiencing BSOD, with about a 2 week gap between events, about 11 months after purchase.

And like most the reboot happens so quick you miss the error warning WHEA_UNCRRECTABLE_ERROR if your not looking in the right place. 

Corsair Support (as you know!) is shocking. Replies take 2-4 days. After going through all the hoops you guys have. Clear CMS and window repair and windows reinstall. I have had close to 2 clear months of no problems. But the last week it came back very quick. Starting once a day and now today every 5mins. 

I have been offered an RMA when I logged the issue. I am beyond enraged about having to put £3500 on to my CC until they get my old machine back. They should just send a courrier to get the broken one at the same time as drop off. I just don't trust them to refund the money. I mean do they check your old machine to see how valid the claim is? Can they refuse to give your money back?

I was in a position where I didn't have that space on my CC. You are held to ransom on this issue. Luckly I can now do the RMA. But I feel whats the dam point! it looks like they have not sorted the issue out.

This is a business machine to me so everytime this happens I lose 2-3 days of productivity after reinstalling all my software and endless stress and client fustration. 

I have decided to proceed with the ssd replacement. Merely because I would rather do this to hopefully shortcut a third reinstallation. If it does not work then RMA it is.....

I have purchased two ssd's links below. Having built PC's the in past I know sometimes things do not quite fit and as we are dealing with a small form factor. I have purchased the ssd everyone on here has installed. I have also looked at a higher spec one too. I would like to return one of them before opening. 

Does anyone know if the Samsung 980 pro will be too big? I also note the Pro is Pcie 4 will this be a problem where as the 970 is Pcie 3?

https://www.ebuyer.com/1124477-samsung-980-pro-2tb-m-2-2280-pcie-4-0-x4-nvme-ssd-mz-v8p2t0bw

https://www.ebuyer.com/875047-samsung-970-evo-plus-v-nand-m-2-2tb-ssd-mz-v7s2t0bw

I will post pictures of the tear down steps and follow up once complete. 

Thanks all. 

I have being reading more of your posts and see people are tweaking their fan speed in icue. All your fan speeds are much lower than mine. I have not messed with the fans at all. I am struggleing to find how you adjust them in icue.

My motherboard fan speed is 3525 rpm. Is that the fan you are all reffering too?

Thanks

ice_screenshot_20211101-215958.png

ice_screenshot_20211101-220054.png

The top fan speed is what you can adjust with iCUE. If you select the 'Home' on the top left and then select 'Cooling' on the left, you can define the Presets. Note that these presets set the minimum fan speeds. The fan will speed up according to the fan curves. You can modify the fan curve in BIOS. But I don't find that necessary. A screenshot is shown below:

image.thumb.png.490ea4c408fa91b42781ec13181f366b.png

In the above example, I created "Work" and "Normal" cooling presets. Then I selected "Normal" as the operating fan speed. 

IMO, it is important to monitor the temperature levels of various components. I configured the 8 front LEDs to display them. An example is shown below:

image.thumb.png.a21085ced4987c2bdb3dac86c0f02e46.png

In the above example, the corresponding LED remains green when it is at 60C or below. It will become yellow when it reaches 64C and red when it reaches 68C.

Some articles tell you that for PCIe Gen 4 SSDs, you can operate up to 75C. But I'll stick to what Samsung suggests of the max at 70C: 980 PRO | Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor

• Like 1

Another thing I did to lower the CPU temperature is as follows. I set the max CPU power at 90%. This is done through the Windows power plan selection. I created a new power plan with that setting. This reduces the CPU temperature by 10C in my system. When I need full power of the system, I'll select the full power plan.

Most computers would use fans to push hot air out. In our computers, the fan actually suck hot air from the CPU radiator into the system and then exhaust from the top. This warms up the components. CPU and GPU are more heat resistant than other components.

Since the CPUs in our computers are quite powerful, it is not a big hit by limiting it at 90%. So this is how I configure my Corsair One.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vett93 said:

The top fan speed is what you can adjust with iCUE. If you select the 'Home' on the top left and then select 'Cooling' on the left, you can define the Presets. Note that these presets set the minimum fan speeds. The fan will speed up according to the fan curves. You can modify the fan curve in BIOS. But I don't find that necessary. A screenshot is shown below:

image.thumb.png.490ea4c408fa91b42781ec13181f366b.png

In the above example, I created "Work" and "Normal" cooling presets. Then I selected "Normal" as the operating fan speed. 

IMO, it is important to monitor the temperature levels of various components. I configured the 8 front LEDs to display them. An example is shown below:

image.thumb.png.a21085ced4987c2bdb3dac86c0f02e46.png

In the above example, the corresponding LED remains green when it is at 60C or below. It will become yellow when it reaches 64C and red when it reaches 68C.

Some articles tell you that for PCIe Gen 4 SSDs, you can operate up to 75C. But I'll stick to what Samsung suggests of the max at 70C: 980 PRO | Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor

Thanks for this information. My icue does not have any of this information available like yours does. It just has 'Default' and when I click on it. It just shows sensors. Certainly does not show Corsair One Pro as an option. What version are you running? mine is 4.16.194

Did you have any space issues fitting the 980 pro? I have ordered the 2TB version.

18 hours ago, StuartKWoodward said:

Any issues since?

No - The computer has been working perfectly. The SSD temperature is mostly at 59℃ - I have configured the lower bound of the fan speed to be 1000 rpm.

6 hours ago, StuartKWoodward said:

Thanks for this information. My icue does not have any of this information available like yours does. It just has 'Default' and when I click on it. It just shows sensors. Certainly does not show Corsair One Pro as an option. What version are you running? mine is 4.16.194

Did you have any space issues fitting the 980 pro? I have ordered the 2TB version.

My iCUE is also 4.16.194. Do you see a plus sign in the "Cooling Presets" section? 

image.thumb.png.bc00c023732c617fab438183ddec83e9.png

My unit came with the OEM version of Samsung 980 Pro. It is mounted on the front of the motherboard. Yours is probably mounted in the rear.

23 minutes ago, vett93 said:

My iCUE is also 4.16.194. Do you see a plus sign in the "Cooling Presets" section? 

image.thumb.png.bc00c023732c617fab438183ddec83e9.png

My unit came with the OEM version of Samsung 980 Pro. It is mounted on the front of the motherboard. Yours is probably mounted in the rear.

All I get is this. I don't think I have ever had that information from when I had it new. Mine is the i165 purchased in August 2020. I guess I'll find out where the SSD is on tear down. Unless you know a place I can find out? You don't get much info on these machines out of the box. 

I did a clear CMS last night and left on today with no shutdowns as of yet. When I did this a few months ago it cleared the problem for a few days and then it strted back up again before I reinstalled windows. 

Also I have had the Samsung Magician running too and it showed the SSD temp at 31 deg for 5 hours then jumped to 68 deg.

ice_screenshot_20211102-170611.png

As mentioned previously, I faced the same problem as everyone else here, and the problem is solved now. So I hope to share my current status and hope it can help others.

1. The problem is always the SSD which comes with C1. I bought a retail one and all problem is solved instantly. No BSOD ever since it is replaced.

2. My Samsung 970 Evo Plus is idle at around 42c only (ambient temp 27c). SSD is mounted at the back of MB for my i145s. The 970 EVO comes with C1 was always at least 50c or higher.

3. I'm under warranty too, but it does not worth my time, trouble, and risk to RMA at all. I'm not willing to let anyone touch my data. So I chose to just buy a SSD to replace it myself and all problems solved in 10mins.

4. iCue is not stable and sometimes the top fan will just stop even you have set a min RPM. You can just connect the top fan to the motherboard directly, and let the BIOS to control it (you can define your preferred fan curve). It always work and much more reliable than iCue. Also, I don't like iCue keeps consuming CPU non-stop for no reason.

5. Since I don't care about RGB, I don't even install iCue at all and C1 will work perfectly fine without it.

6. Here are the temp at idle:

- CPU = 32c
- GPU = 32c
- SSD = 42c
- Ambient = 27c

Edited by eric418

26 minutes ago, eric418 said:

As mentioned previously, I faced the same problem as everyone else here, and the problem is solved now. So I hope to share my current status and hope it can help others.

6. Here are the temp at idle:

- CPU = 32c
- GPU = 32c
- SSD = 42c
- Ambient = 27c

What top fan speed do you use to keep CPU at 32C?

Without iCue and optimized Windows, the PC is idle at 0~1% CPU load. So the coolant is virtually the same temp as ambient.

For top fan, I tested different speed and found 1000RPM is basically silent to my ears, so I set the minimum as 1000RPM just for keeping the SSD cool.

If not for the SSD, I can set the fan as 600~800RPM and the CPU temp will still be the same at 32c.

So I think the key is no iCue, and optimizing Windows by removing all those useless apps, services, features.

With iCUE, my CPU is also idle at 1% utilization. I set the min speed of the top fan at 950rpm. The CPU temp is around 45C at ambient of 22C. This is for idle.

When stress test, I set the top fan at 1,750rpm and the CPU temp is around 85C. I have a 16-core/32-thread CPU, R9 5950x.