Corsair Community

Corsair One i164 Bluescreens

On 9/16/2021 at 6:43 PM, Corsair Caliente said:

That's alarming.  Were you still using the NVMe drive in the system?

Did you have the same BSOD?  After booting into BIOs were you able to detect both drives?

The NVMe drive is connected and being used as my (D:) drive so it's possible the heat issue is still affecting it, though there should not have been much R/W ops going through it. What's weird is that this seems to happen even when my system is practically at idle.  Running high fidelity games this error seems to almost never happen Not very high temps being recorded in logs around time of BSOD but perhaps it's not polling frequently enough.. Could be some freak bg process that spikes CPU before the fans can get to a high enough RPM? I have no idea.

Also yes same BSOD, and 95% of times I boot into BIOS NVMe drive is not detected.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, Corsair Caliente said:

For the time being, we suggest you guys request an RMA or repair if you're experiencing BSOD issues related to WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.  Seems like swapping out the SSD has resolved the issue for a lot of people which is something we can do for you.

If this is a heat related issue with the SSD, won't the replaced SSD fail also sooner or later?

A seemingly opposite, but nontheless related issue, is that when the unit is working, it's actually impossible to turn it off

When using Win10 shutdown, the unit will turn itself back on again, as if a reset was triggered; the only way I can actually turn off the computer is to turn it off at the power, which seems ridiculous

On 9/27/2021 at 2:36 AM, vett93 said:

If this is a heat related issue with the SSD, won't the replaced SSD fail also sooner or later?

That is why I have changed the cooling presents in iCUE - The default setting leads to high SSD temperatures that I guess will shorten the SSD lifetime. I recommend setting a custom cooling presents with a fixed speed of 65%. The fixed speed is actually not fixed. If necessary the fan will still go to higher speed automatically. The fixed value indicates the lower bound. 

6 hours ago, frode.bjerkholt said:

That is why I have changed the cooling presents in iCUE - The default setting leads to high SSD temperatures that I guess will shorten the SSD lifetime. I recommend setting a custom cooling presents with a fixed speed of 65%. The fixed speed is actually not fixed. If necessary the fan will still go to higher speed automatically. The fixed value indicates the lower bound. 

The SSD is between the motherboard and GPU board. They may have blocked the air flow. I just received my A200. I'll definitely keep an eye on the SSD temp. On my Mac Pro 6,1, I upgraded the stock SSD to Samsung SSD and it was hot. I then put a heatsink on it and the temperature drops a lot. 

Regarding using iCUE to control the fan speed, the current version and the previous version behave differently. In the prior version, 65% means throttle 65%. In the currently version, 65% means the 65% of the max fan speed (which is around 2,000rpm). Which version do you have?

14 hours ago, vett93 said:

The SSD is between the motherboard and GPU board. They may have blocked the air flow. I just received my A200. I'll definitely keep an eye on the SSD temp. On my Mac Pro 6,1, I upgraded the stock SSD to Samsung SSD and it was hot. I then put a heatsink on it and the temperature drops a lot. 

A heatsink is probably something I should try out. 

On 10/2/2021 at 6:43 AM, vett93 said:

How hot does your M.2 SSD get? Mine gets around 61-62C when just surfing the net. 

My M.2 SSD has a temp of approximately 58-62C when I have low disk activity. Please note that I am currently using a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB - not the Samsung PM981 (MZ-VLB1T00) that came with my Corsair One i164.

7 hours ago, frode.bjerkholt said:

When I set the speed to 100% it shows 1441 rpm

On my system, the 100% fan speed is about 2040 rpm. Apparently, Corsair has changed the fan to increase air flow. I set mine at 950rpm for normal office work. When I do software development, I set it at 1200rpm. 

your One is a "workstation" one. maybe they used the higher speed ML fans for these..

It should be a fairly easy upgrade to do :

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 9:34 PM, Corsair Caliente said:

If you'd like to change out the SSD yourself you can use the following instructions:

1. Open Up CORSAIR ONE by pressing release button on rear of system and lifting the top fan assembly.
  2. Disconnect top fan.
  3. Remove screws securing side panel to video card side of system. (Side panel has radiator for video card cooling system connected to it, take care to just move this out of the way while you're working on it).
  4. Remove video card (this'll involve a number of screws, take note of size and location as you work around the graphics card). Be careful of any cables connected to the GPU cooler.
  5. Gently remove graphics card (unplug power/PCIe riser cables).
  6. Remove stock M.2 SSD (make sure you backed up your data), keep it safe in case you need to replace the stock SSD for whatever reason.
  7. Install new M.2 SSD (note that if it's brand new, you'll need to install Windows 10 and drivers)
  8. Reinstall graphics card.
  9. Close side panel and secure to chassis.
  10. Reconnect and install fan assembly to top of chassis.

I’ve followed this process and now when I turn the unit on the Corsair screen flashes up for about 3 seconds before the monitor loses input - would this be caused by the outputs being connected incorrectly to the graphics card? 

THIS IS MY 3RD I164 REPLACEMENT THAT IS BROKEN

Wow, however sad it is for me to say this im.. happy to find out its not just me suffering with this awful product from corsair. I have now had 3 i164 models from corsair which have all had the EXACT SAME ISSUE which is a BSOD constantly... 

My warranty has almost ran out and I don't even know if its worth going for a RMA at this point as they all achieve nothing but waste my time.

I heavily advise nobody to purchase this corsair product until corsair get off their ass and do something to fix it.

7 hours ago, Hazonic said:

THIS IS MY 3RD I164 REPLACEMENT THAT IS BROKEN

Wow, however sad it is for me to say this im.. happy to find out its not just me suffering with this awful product from corsair. I have now had 3 i164 models from corsair which have all had the EXACT SAME ISSUE which is a BSOD constantly... 

Has Corsair told you why your I164 had BSOD problems?

6 hours ago, vett93 said:

Has Corsair told you why your I164 had BSOD problems?

Never. My first problem was around a year after purchasing the model. Out of the blue I was getting windows crashes and computer freezes and I did many hours of my own research thinking it was something on my end that was breaking the PC - I wiped the PC, switched RAM slots, ran crash reporters, lots of anti virus checks, RAM corruption checks, power cable change, plug socket change, fully removed corsair programs such as ICUE (heard this helped some people) but nothing worked so I got in contact with corsair and they replaced the PC - a process that took around 5-6 weeks.

Then the second model arrived and had the same problems within the first 2 weeks.. I couldn't believe it and ran all the same tests but once again nothing fixed it. Got an RMA approved again and after another 3-4 weeks got my 3rd replacement which surprise surprise has broken again, this time after less than 4 months of use.

I'm 100% sure it's not something on my end - My PC is clean, never overheats and is not misused. There is also no correlation to the crashes they start random and then become frequent enough you can't use the computer without very high risk of losing any data.

I would love to hear from corsair about why these BSODs are happening to us, as they are at fault. If anyone has found any long term fixes I would appreciate your comments. Thanks. 

Have you done the following three tests?

1. Plain old CHKDSK? It checks if the SSD has corrupted files, among others.

2. Verify system file by using dism.exe and sfc? See details here: Using System File Checker in Windows (microsoft.com)

3. Run Corsair Diagnostics (which is a rebrand of PC Doctor) on various components.

Additionally, have you monitored the temperature of various components? In a computer like this, components run at higher temperature levels. While CPU and GPU may be okay, other components may not be. Let's know what temperature you have seen.

The M.2 SSD may be the first to check. From what I have read here, the older units have the M.2 SSD mounted in the rear of the motherboard and does not get air flow. My computer is a newer one and has the M.2 SSD mounted in the front of the motherboard. But it gets the hot air from the CPU radiator. I have seen mine at 69C with little I/O while doing CPU stress test. The top fan draws the heat from CPU cooler/radiator over the SSD!

My Corsair One Pro is a very recent purchase. Before that, I had been (and still am) using a Mac Pro 6,1 (aka Trashcan) for 8 years. It has a 135W Xeon CPU and 2 GPUs. I could run it at 100% CPU continuously for days. That computer has only 1 fan, as opposed to 4 fans and 2 pumps in Corsair. The Mac Pro is about 60% in size too! 

Maybe Corsair can learn from that MP 6,1 design. All components there have their own cool air flow. It just seems counter-intuitive to me that Corsair design blows hot air over computer components. 

My (wishful?) solution is increasing the base top fan speed to around 950rpm and plan on replacing the SSD in a few years.

I bought my i145s last year in Oct 2020 and I faced the exact same problems mentioned in this thread.

Everything was perfectly fine until recently random BSOD and the NVMe disappeared randomly. BIOS can't detect the SSD. The issue is getting more and more frequently.

Originally I thought it was software or BIOS related. I spent weeks trying to troubleshoot in BIOS, Windows, all kinds of settings and diagnostics. At the end, nothing is related. Btw, all testing, scanning, diagnostic tools report the SSD is fine but it just keep disappearing.

Today I bought a 970 EVO Plus and replaced it. Everything is fine again.

Thanks for all the info shared in this forum. It is much easier than I expect to replace the drive. It took around 10mins only.

One thing I notice is that the new 970 EVO Plus is much cooler, around 42c only at idle whereas the original 970 EVO was around 50c at idle (ambient temperature is 26c).

So I guess if you see the NVMe is hot even at idle, there should be something wrong with the NVMe.

1 hour ago, eric418 said:

Today I bought a 970 EVO Plus and replaced it. Everything is fine again.

One thing I notice is that the new 970 EVO Plus is much cooler, around 42c only at idle whereas the original 970 EVO was around 50c at idle (ambient temperature is 26c).

So I guess if you see the NVMe is hot even at idle, there should be something wrong with the NVMe.

How did you replace the SSD? Did you clone the 970 EVO to 970 EVO Plus with some tool first?

I think my unit came with the OEM version of the Samsung 980 Pro. At ambient temperature around 22C, the SSD would measure between 55C and 62C. It is a PCIe Gen4 SSD and so it runs warmer. (970 variants are PCIe Gen3 SSDs.) Hopefully, the Pro version would make it more robust.