Corsair Community

H150i running temps high?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi i recently got a H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT and I was wandering if my temps were high, at a room of around 30C, my cpu temp is 40-45 at idle and my coolant temp is around 35 is that normal?When my ac and the room around 27c my cpu temp is 35-40c and my coolant temp 30-32c. Also when I was placing my pump i put it kinda diagonally so I lifted it and placed it correctly but some thermal paste was at the cpu would that be an issue?(i hadn't screwed the pump when I did all that) 

Also when I do a stress test for 10m my cpu temp reaches 70c at the most at 100% usage which I nearly never do that

edit: I have a i7 11700kf and an rtx3060ti*

Edited by Chickenman

2 hours ago, Chickenman said:

at a room of around 30C, my cpu temp is 40-45 at idle and my coolant temp is around 35 is that normal?

Yes, that is normal.  Actual CPU idle temp is too variable and processor specific to give exact numbers.  However, H150i Temp or coolant temp is more predictable.  Most users will see a value of 4-7C above their room temperature or equal to the case ambient temperature.  That's as low as it can be.  Case layout and materials affect this, so the super small, sealed glass case is always going to be warmer than a monstrous open mesh model.  

Once you fire it up for the first time, that CPU paste warms and starts to spread out into a new pattern.  Any bump or drag on the install is going to be nothing but a memory and the TIM will have a new even configuration now.  If you had created some type of contact issue, you would see it in the form of erratic CPU temp jumping (high CPU temp from simple tasks) that correspond with the voltage loading.  On a more minor level, uneven pressure or uneven TIM might reveal itself as a large disparity between CPU core temp values.  If you run something linear like the Stress test in CPU-Z (bench tab), all your cores should be pretty close in temperature.  If you have cores 0-4 floating around 70C and cores 5-7 at 85C, that suggests something isn't quite even.  That said, don't overreact to differences.  You should not expect all cores to be even for CPU temp and some are always a bit better than others.  

Yes.

having the CPU ~30-40°C above the water temp is somewhat typical, depending on what CPU and power draw it is of course.

That difference is mostly influenced by the Vcore, and not by the cooler, provided the cooler has been installed correctly of course 😛

As to why, the 125W of your CPU are not used on all its surface, the cores are only  a surprisingly small part of it. that's a lot of heat in a very small area. That's why it's harder to cool and why you get this somewhat big temperature difference.

If you watercooled your GPU, you would have a very different result as almost the whole silicon is "cores", and the heat is more evenly distributed. Typically a watercooled GPU is like 10 - 20° above the water temperature under full load, even for the big cards.

• Solution

The coolant temperature is the baseline or lowest possible cpu temp with zero volts. So if your cpu drops into its lowest C-state, it will be just about the same as the coolant. 

The difference between the coolant temp and the actual cpu temp when loaded is a result of how much power is being put through the cpu, it’s physical properties, less the amount of heat conducted through the cold plate on the AIO. It’s generally consistent so if you run Stress Test A and it causes the cpu to rise to 80C with 40C coolant, then you know it would be 70C if the coolant was 30C. That differential is relatively predictable for a given number of watts at the cpu.