Corsair Community

iCue not able to control fan speeds with Corsair Commander Core that came with H100i Elite Capellix

I recently connected all of my fans to the Commander Core that came with my H100i Elite Capellix and none of my fan speeds are able to be controlled with iCue. I have 5 fans, 2 are not PWM so I don't expect those to be controlled however 2 of my fans are the RGB ML120s that came with the AIO and one is a SP120. The RGB ML120s lighting is able to be controlled and all fans are reporting rpms to iCue including the non PWM ones which inaccurately show 60k to 61k rpm. The RGB ML120s idle around 1200 rpm and do ramp up to about 2350 rpm under load with the SP120 one topping out at 2000 rpm no matter what fan setting I use. I have tried setting custom fan curves in iCue, removing all other monitoring software (HWinfo/CPU-ID) and checked that my BiOS is not controlling them. If anymore info is needed let me know.

UnderLoad.png

Idle.png

Can you identify which fan ports have which fans?  Hopefully 3+4 are the two DC fans or we have some work to do. 

Your control curve is a bit steep, but we can iron that out later. For now, flip the selector on custom 3 to fixed RPM or fixed PWM% and set various values to see if the fans respond. This is a better test of functionality than the curve. 

I labeled the fans in iCue as such. I noticed that when I set my fans to 100% they jump up in speed for about 5 sec then slowly return to what is shown in the pics.

50%.png

100%.png

SetSpeed.png

Edited by Falkr1
added additional picture

those fans running at 60000+ RPM.. do you have another monitoring software running in the background like HWifo64, HWmonitor, Aida?

If they try to access Corsair controllers at the same time as iCUE, it creates all kinds of mayhem like these bogus readings and speed control issues.

16 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

those fans running at 60000+ RPM.. do you have another monitoring software running in the background like HWifo64, HWmonitor, Aida?

If they try to access Corsair controllers at the same time as iCUE, it creates all kinds of mayhem like these bogus readings and speed control issues.

I have never installed HWmonitor or Aida and as per my original post I already removed HWIFO64. Also I don't expect the two fans reading 60k+ to read properly or be controlled since they are DC fans and not PWM.

yea they should run at full speed, but the speed reading should work, that's why i had doubts.

I don't know that it changes anything but after just booting up my computer today the front DC fans read about 400 rpm then slowly dropped to 0 rpm then jumped from 0 rpm to 62k rpm all while they look like they are constantly spinning at what I assume is full speed.
Edit: Added iCue monitoring graph for reference.

60k.png

Edited by Falkr1
added photo

Also just found that if I change the fan curves from the drop down then change to another tab and return the fan curve resets itself back to balanced, no matter if I use one of the preset fan curves (extreme, quiet, etc.) or if I use a custom fan curve (Fixed % or Fixed rpm).

The DC fan reading 60K is not overly abnormal.  No matter what the tachometer says, they will run at their maximum when the 12v PWM signal is supplied.  I have had odd DC fans do this on PWM only controller as well.

However, the behavior of the other fans is definitely peculiar.  Neither ML or SP is following instructions and that decrease in speed after the initial response is very unusual.  Typically when another program interferes, the fan will either be completely unresponsive and continue at the last speed or cycle up and down continuously.  This is neither.

I would start a support ticket with Corsair from the link at the bottom of the page.  Include those two pictures of the 50 and 100% fan tests.  They are clearly missing the mark and it can't be all three fans.  The only time I can see the fans following directions is in your very first picture at the top of the post when they were all effectively in a 100% fan state having exceeded the upper control limit.  

Edited by c-attack

Thank you for your input, I have created a ticket with Corsair. If they are able to fix it I will post results on here.

• 6 months later...

I am also experiencing the same problem, when I go to change my fan speeds on the H100I Elite Capellix the fan speeds do not change, with the same problem when clicking to another tab inside the iCUE software and back to cooling it resets the settings I chose back to quiet running again... I only have the two fans on the radiator connected to the commander unit.

Sorry I do not have a perfect world fix but, after creating a ticket with corsair they were going to send me a new commander core however since it was out of stock at the time I decided to just deal with not being able to change fan curves until they came back in stock. I never reached back out for a new commander core because I ended up having to do a clean installation of Windows due to some other issues, which ended up also fixing the issue with iCue controlling the fans. Since the clean install I have not had any issues with fan speeds or monitoring. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but I also no longer have the DC fans and all my fans are now PWM and able to be controlled, even though one of the fans isn't even a Corsair fan.