Corsair Community

Corsair One i164 Bluescreens

Same situation here. i140 getting more and more frequent blue screens. Started at about once a day, all the way up to 3 mins after boot rendering my machine completely unusable. Same symptoms described here, boot to BIOS and unable to detect the SSD.

I tried reseating the RAM multiple times, and had no luck, but I ended up following  @MostlyICareaLot and @eric418's suggestion and purchased a similar SSD extender cable, this one, specifically. Thanks so much for the images of the screws as well, super damn helpful!  I didn't mount/properly secure the SSD, just sort of "wedged" it into some free space above the GPU cooler 🤷‍♂️

Also didn't buy a replacement SSD or anything, just used the original one with the extension cable and so far its looking good. Left my machine on overnight, which is far and away the longest its survived without a blue screen for the last couple of months. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Edited by SensualCelery

On 10/5/2022 at 7:03 AM, Andy036 said:

Hi, i am heaving same issue after reading all these posts i have now realized that Corsair already know this issue reason why they are very cold in response on the BSOD tickets- and its still going on. now i know i am just another victim of this fraud  company but willing to know did you get any final resolution?

Sorry to hear. In essence the build up of components is just very (too) tight: the SDD is wedged between cpu/mcb and gpu with very little circulation avaliable. I'd argue it is in part form over function and typically a result when various components from different suppliers are generic an get bacthed together. Costs/profit play the overall role it appears. Hence the reluctance to get act on Corsair's behalf.
If you want to prolong the shelf life of your SDD other clearly found the relocation of the unit beneficial. Adding a heatsink improves the predicament by ca 3-6 degrees. If you were to set the case fan to maximum you get another 10-12 degrees reduction. With both of the above I down from ca 60deg to 42deg on normal office work with minor gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Like @eric418 I confirm that using a NVMe extension cable to move the SSD below the top fan solves the problem.

CORSAIR ONE i145s (960GB NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage 2TB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD)

Before using an extension cable, I had previously:

• reinstalled Windows,
  • updated the bios to its latest version,
  • installed Samsung NVMe controller driver,
  • Installed a new SATA Samsung 870 EVO SSD disk and moved Windows 10

But these actions hadn't solve the bsod, the boot loop to bios etc. 

Now running on a Corsair MP600 PRO LPX 2TB - on a M.2 Key M extension cable. 

it just works and have completely removed bsod,  the boot loop to bios etc...

it is of course not necessary to update the disks -but when you have to install new hardware it seemed smart to do it all at once. 😀

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this brilliant tip!

I started with an i140, burned two SSD's in less than 18 months. Corsair was kind enough to exchange it under warranty for an i164 but now, a couple of months later, the SSD fails again.

Managed to reinstall everything but just two days later, the SSD again disappeared from the BIOS.

I ordered a new 990Pro from Samsung and a 30 cm extension cable and hope my sorrows will be over. It's a great computer but obviously, heat management is a serious flaw...

Cheers and happy new year!!

Ton

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 2:03 AM, Andy036 said:

Hi, i am heaving same issue after reading all these posts i have now realized that Corsair already know this issue reason why they are very cold in response on the BSOD tickets- and its still going on. now i know i am just another victim of this fraud  company but willing to know did you get any final resolution?

Same issue man, NVMe started giving blue screens for awhile.  Memory checks were fine, I would reinstall windows not long after blue screens.  Finally NVMe stopped being recognized by BIOS/Windows.  Trying to replace it is quite the challenge and warranty support from corsair was not helpful.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, eric418 said:

I have done it finally and it works perfectly! Hope this info can help other Corsair One users here.

In my previous post in this thread, I was thinking of adding a NVMe extension cable to route the NVMe to the CPU side for better cooling and ease of management.

Now, I finally did it with https://www.moddiy.com/products/NGFF-M.2-Key-M-Extender-Cable-Adapter-Support-NVMe-Ultra-SSD-R44SF.html (30cm)

Now the NVMe is placed right below the top fan with perfect airflow, and I can also change/replace it anytime in future easily without touching the GPU side at all. 

There is no need to add any heatsink (which I had actually prepared as well) because the temperature is so low already without any heatsink.

Originally, the SDD temp is around 50c at idle, and now it is 34~37c only (ambient temp is 31c).

On top of that, the temp will not go up even during full load because the airflow is so good now.

The NVMe controller temp was like 60~70c before, but now it is always at 42~47c only.

A surprising bonus which I wasn't expect is that the Sequential Write speed is MUCH faster now! I didn't know the SSD was throttling for the whole time with original configuration, probably due to the NVMe controller high temp without airflow.

It was 1580MB/s before, and now it is 3330MB/s!

The other performances are basically the same, but Sequential Write speed is doubled now.

20220927_133959.thumb.jpg.8bc494399751a81a597c67b51d2a9b48.jpg20220927_132001.thumb.jpg.ed73d537d684dc43161d8564e0c67f27.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.f06daa667e7cd2f32bff193e8a831f7a.jpeg

Same here. After reattaching the RAM blocks seemed to fix the issue for a week or so, the problem reappeared. Finally I brought the PC to our IT guy at the university, which kindly had a look.

First, he managed to reproduce the issue (otherwise difficult to debug as it happens randomly) by running "chkdisk /f /r" in the command prompt and rebooting. The PC started checking the disk and was consistently giving the blue screen. This indeed pointed out at a problem with the NVME.

Finally we went for the extension cable solution. Did not replace the NVME, just used the extension cable without any heat sink, and the problem has now gone for at least a couple of months.

Frankly, it looks like the NVME still gets very hot even in its current position, so either it is very hot but not as hot as before, or in its previous position it was overheating the motherboard...

Anyways, I am happy to see that many people are solving the issue in the same way, so we can all cross fingers..

Regarding Corsair, I admit that I have been discouraged by the many bad comments on their support, and never contacted them, so I cannot really complain, but it would be nice if someone from the company could confirm us that the extension cable is indeed a solution. I can imagine that a company might not be so willing to admit a problem like this but hey, we all do mistakes, and the PC is otherwise a very nice machine!