Corsair Community

Statement from Andy Paul (CEO) regarding 16.8 Million Colors and RGB Keyboards

Corsair James

It does kinda suck we don't have these colours now but I don't mind if there truly will be a fix for us who don't want a different keyboard.

My only worry is the fix will come with the next iteration of their RGB line. Hopefully that won't be the case.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have yet to comment on all this. I agree with a lot that's been said.

This is a gaming keyboard, says so on the top under Corsair. It won't correctly switch profiles when launching Far Cry 4, and if it does, it doesn't switch back. I understand, that's an issue with lots. I don't use Steam, just uPlay. It's frustrating, knowing that's it's purpose and it not working correctly.

That's really my only issue, aside from the main topic of the lighting. I remember looking at a profile I downloaded from the forum that someone made that has a slow not so gradient step upon key press, and thinking wow, that looks so very cheesy.

Moving past that, I really enjoy this keyboard.

I've read the entire 'other' thread before it blew up with the non sense at the end, and now this one waiting to hear something positive and reassuring. I'm still not. Reading through this, reflecting on the words of the CEO, I had a thought ... this isn't getting fixed in this version of hardware. It's going to be the next version of keyboards.

It does kinda suck we don't have these colours now but I don't mind if there truly will be a fix for us who don't want a different keyboard.

My only worry is the fix will come with the next iteration of their RGB line. Hopefully that won't be the case.

This is the first time I've seen anyone say anything about this. I suspect that will be the issue.

From a technical standpoint, I suspect there is regret in not tapping into the passthrough USB cable to utilize the bandwidth. I would also bet there is a little regret in not putting memory on the PCB of the keyboard to push a profile to for the keyboard to utilize without having to consume bandwidth.

These 2 shortcoming would make a great revision if I'm right in the above.

I would love to hear some technical information on if I'm remotely right or not though.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an electrical engineer and I am NOT sure if those things are or aren't already implemented.

From a technical standpoint, I suspect there is regret in not tapping into the passthrough USB cable to utilize the bandwidth. I would also bet there is a little regret in not putting memory on the PCB of the keyboard to push a profile to for the keyboard to utilize without having to consume bandwidth.

These 2 shortcoming would make a great revision if I'm right in the above.

I would love to hear some technical information on if I'm remotely right or not though.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an electrical engineer and I am NOT sure if those things are or aren't already implemented.

USB 3.0 is plenty fast and unless the keyboard is eating about 50 Mbps of data even 2.0 will work, also doesnt matter if its on board if the process is still done through the CPU. They could easily add all of those things but it would be exact same as the current Keyboards, what is lacking is a more powerful on board controller for the LED.

USB 3.0 is plenty fast and unless the keyboard is eating about 50 Mbps of data even 2.0 will work, also doesnt matter if its on board if the process is still done through the CPU. They could easily add all of those things but it would be exact same as the current Keyboards, what is lacking is a more powerful on board controller for the LED.

But it would allow you to take keyboard profiles with you. I don't use it but I can see the usefulness of being able to take profiles with you on computers you don't have administrator on.

I had a thought ... this isn't getting fixed in this version of hardware. It's going to be the next version of keyboards.

I`ve had the same thought, and I agree with the other points you made.

I have already contacted the retailer that I bought my K70 RGB from. They have agreed to get it collected and give me a refund if I want. This is reassuring. If Corsair don't come up with a decent fix for the lack of colour range, I can return it and buy an alternative (maybe the next Corsair model, if it works properly).

In the event that the issue isn't properly resolved, and they do revise the hardware, I wonder if Corsair will offer all existing Kxx RGB owners an upgrade ?

But it would allow you to take keyboard profiles with you. I don't use it but I can see the usefulness of being able to take profiles with you on computers you don't have administrator on.

So maybe add a USB port so you can stick a flash drive in? so that way you have a your profiles and you can use the USB or otehr stuff?

So maybe add a USB port so you can stick a flash drive in? so that way you have a your profiles and you can use the USB or otehr stuff?

You would not need a port on the kb to save or load profiles, any port on your computer should do.

You would not need a port on the kb to save or load profiles, any port on your computer should do.

that means the memory would have to be on board and you would be limited to what you could save and share, not to mention increased cost for onboard memory itself a read and writing controller, and a way to mask it so you dont get a USB memory stick device when you plug in your computer. Yes it can be done but the RnD that it would take wouldnt be worth increasing the price by 10~20 $. Unless some of you want to pay more for such a simple feature.

that means the memory would have to be on board and you would be limited to what you could save and share, not to mention increased cost for onboard memory itself a read and writing controller, and a way to mask it so you dont get a USB memory stick device when you plug in your computer. Yes it can be done but the RnD that it would take wouldnt be worth increasing the price by 10~20 $. Unless some of you want to pay more for such a simple feature.

How do you know it would increase the price by $10 - $20 ?

I'd pay that for those features. After all, I`ve paid much more for 16.8 million colours, which I`ve yet to see. ;):

In the event that the issue isn't properly resolved, and they do revise the hardware, I wonder if Corsair will offer all existing Kxx RGB owners an upgrade ?

With the promises made i'd expect a free upgrade/replacement if it isn't resolved without new hardware.

Mine was purchased from eBay though so i'll probably be shafted if/when this happens :[pouts:

Warranty's not transferable, so yeah, no warranty if you purchased it from another person.

It was new from eBay but yeah I don't expect that level of CS from Corsair.

problly shouldnt buy from ebay.

'Problly' shouldn't post if you have nothing of merit to add..

Also, eBay or not its a mis-advertised product which is something I don't expect/take into account when I purchase an item made by a reputable company.

It was new from eBay but yeah I don't expect that level of CS from Corsair.

'Problly' shouldn't post if you have nothing of merit to add..

Also, eBay or not its a mis-advertised product which is something I don't expect/take into account when I purchase an item made by a reputable company.

If your'e purchase was from a legitimate company and you have a valid receipt Corsair will give you warranty service.

If I purchase this keyboard now, and they fail to fix the lights issue via firm/software in 8 weeks, will Corsair still honor the refund they offered?

I you are not satisfied with the current Corsair KB performance, why would you purchase it?

I you are not satisfied with the current Corsair KB performance, why would you purchase it?

I'm in the market for an RGB keyboard at the moment. I want to go with this corsair, only if I'm assured they'll either fix it or refund me my money.

I'm in the market for an RGB keyboard at the moment. I want to go with this corsair, only if I'm assured they'll either fix it or refund me my money.

I suppose they will, although that offer was made to customers that were unhappy and very vocal about it. I can't speak for Corsair about current or future purchased, you will have to ask them yourself.

The keyboard works very well for me, however I don't run light shows for a living, just make pretty displays on my desktop and I am very satisfied with the performance I get. I will be happy if Corsair finally gets us the 16.8 million colors, but I won't return my KB if they don't.

"why these people complaining too much about 16m colors, 512 colors is more than enough right?" is exactly the first thought when i read those people who complain, heck i even only use 1 color. until i make my own profile, make a solid color breathing effect. just make a gradient effect with single color, from darkest to brightest, last for lets say 3 seconds, and u'll see why we need those 16 million colors.

"why these people complaining too much about 16m colors, 512 colors is more than enough right?" is exactly the first thought when i read those people who complain, heck i even only use 1 color. until i make my own profile, make a solid color breathing effect. just make a gradient effect with single color, from darkest to brightest, last for lets say 3 seconds, and u'll see why we need those 16 million colors.

Everyone has their own standards. You may be happy with 512 colors, but I'd like to be able to play with it as advertised.

And regarding returns, they said they would offer refunds to those that already owned one and are unhappy with it. I don't know if that offer extends to new customers that are purchasing the keyboard with the knowledge that it doesn't work as advertised. I mean, they have already started to change their online advertisement from 16 mil colors to "multi-color" or some crap like that.

edit: Unless you look at a close-up of the product box, Newegg no longer states 16.8 mil colors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816034

Archived