Corsair Community

Statement from Andy Paul (CEO) regarding 16.8 Million Colors and RGB Keyboards

Corsair James

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ehhhh

-snip-

Sadly the spacebar is the single hardest key to replace ever.

Yep, like I said "practically nobody makes keyboards or sets of keycaps with these sizes". That is the only set that you're gonna find. If you're not using that set you're using stock caps.

:P lol their not hard to replace you just have to know what your looking for.

Its actually not that uncommon to have corsairs layout.

So seeing as i have a space bar replacement i think i win whatever this is

-snip-

It's not like I hate the stock caps so much that I'd accept any replacement, I just want something different that would look better. If you don't like that set you're **** out of luck. No colors besides black, no different kinds of plastic, no backlit front legends, nothing. I can hardly say that because there is a set that the layout is common. My kind of common is when you can choose the keycaps from one of hundreds of boards or order a custom set and have any of them fit. Not the single choice of one set that many people find tacky.

Well, at least you changed the marketing on your web store from 16.8m colors to "multi color per key", hopefully you could also update the technical description to specify that you mean 512 colors, as it isn't clear anywhere what "multi color" is.

I wish instead of a generic "sorry, we're making things better" type of statement, we could hear from someone from the technical side? As you moved from 16.8m colors now to "multi color", you could at least provide information as to what's going on. You claim that the hardware supports 16.8m colors, but it just doesn't make any sense why then you're taking this long to fix this. My guess is that the hardware can technically support 16.8m colors, but either the implementation or use case for that hardware isn't correct, thus over half a year since these products launched, and no fix yet. You're claiming 8 weeks for a fix, just as your employee claimed "in 2 weeks" which was LAST YEAR. Forgive me, but it doesn't take that long to fix something that can be fixed properly.

we do not yet have a software solution that provides a better overall lighting experience than the current version.
What that translates to (at least for me), is that you may have found a workaround for the way the hardware is implemented, but it involves a method that is unstable, may require some timing implementation that lags the PC, just flat out won't work properly as it is or conflicts with hardware/software on the users side. All of these scenarios seem likely to me, as I don't see any other reason why a fix isn't out yet. If all was well, the hardware and the implementation was correct, this problem would've been fixed a long time ago ..

So, Mr. Andy Paul, could you please allow someone from the technical side to inform us about the situation from a technical side?

So, Mr. Andy Paul, could you please allow someone from the technical side to inform us about the situation from a technical side?

The marketing department ignored the technical guys before they decided to put these keyboards on sale. I doubt if they'll tell us what's going on now.

The message being put out by Corsair is that they released an unfinished product due to public demand, and it was always their intention to provide a software/firmware update soon after.

It looks like the reality is that the hardware design isn't fit for purpose, or at least makes the software design difficult or even impossible. The technical department would have known this, but the accountants and marketing guys decided to sell the product and not mention that it doesn't perform as claimed. Since it was discovered (Corsair will claim that they told us on this forum) that these keyboards can only produce 512 colours, Corsair have tried to keep the issue quiet. Up until this announcement we haven't had any definite information about how long we will have to wait for the full colour range to be available (apart from James' hint that it will be a few weeks, back in October).

In all honesty, the lack of full colour range isn't really a problem to me, although I do want to create profiles that use the wider range, and I guess that's the same for the majority of Kxx RGB owners. What is an issue is that many of us will have willingly paid a price premium on the understanding that the extra cost is due to the fact that the product does what the cheaper non RGB models don't - 16.8 million colours and LEDs that last more than a few months.Another issue is that we are customers of a company who haven't been very open and honest about this matter.

Yep, like I said "practically nobody makes keyboards or sets of keycaps with these sizes". That is the only set that you're gonna find. If you're not using that set you're using stock caps.

It's not like I hate the stock caps so much that I'd accept any replacement, I just want something different that would look better. If you don't like that set you're **** out of luck. No colors besides black, no different kinds of plastic, no backlit front legends, nothing. I can hardly say that because there is a set that the layout is common. My kind of common is when you can choose the keycaps from one of hundreds of boards or order a custom set and have any of them fit. Not the single choice of one set that many people find tacky.

I think what we need is a site that sells keycaps made to fit. You tell them your keyboard adn how you want every single key them make it as is. Personally i wanted Clear Keycaps with Black Bold lettering so its All color and the only part thats blocked out is where the letter is. But They didnt produce anything like that so i had to settle for the ones i have now.

You know ... "The man" comes on and gives you the skinny on this 16.8 million color issue -and- gives you a quite liberal timeline for it's resolution. Then he apologizes profusely followed by a link to get your money back if the time period is not to your liking ... and what then happens? A dog pile by a very small slice of the customer base about isolated issues that they simply can't live with and are obviously losing valuable sleep and bookoos of money by tolerating.

Frankly I think the CEO is going wayyyyy out of his way to appease you. Maturity would dictate a little respect be given, and patience exercised ... or take advantage of the resolution link he provided.

If you want to keep your keyboard, you can rest assured you're complaints are recorded here for posterity so pipe down ... your constant harping is not making the issue get resolved any faster. If you still can't manage to be patient you should employ a customer service ticket solution sparing the membership, and other people looking for help with their individual issues, the tedium of reading and rereading your gripes, ad infinitum.

You know ... "The man" comes on and gives you the skinny on this 16.8 million color issue -and- gives you a quite liberal timeline for it's resolution. Then he apologizes profusely followed by a link to get your money back if the time period is not to your liking ... and what then happens? A dog pile by a very small slice of the customer base about isolated issues that they simply can't live with and are obviously losing valuable sleep and bookoos of money by tolerating.

Frankly I think the CEO is going wayyyyy out of his way to appease you. Maturity would dictate a little respect be given, and patience exercised ... or take advantage of the resolution link he provided.

If you want to keep your keyboard, you can rest assured you're complaints are recorded here for posterity so pipe down ... your constant harping is not making the issue get resolved any faster. If you still can't manage to be patient you should employ a customer service ticket solution sparing the membership, and other people looking for help with their individual issues, the tedium of reading and rereading your gripes, ad infinitum.

+1

I can understand those that come on this forum looking for a resolution to a problem they are having. However, there are a very small number of people that are acting very immature and posting multiple time and in multiple threads every day and complaining loudly about the same thing.

I believe this forum exists to give the customers of Corsair the ability to voice their experience with their products, on which Corsair on their end are able to provide proper support. Keeping silent won't fix a thing.

I suggest you look up the definition of a forum. With all respect, your post made no sense whatsoever.

The thing is that none of this forum is wiped on a daily basis, and filling multiple threads with the same issue is getting tedious. You are looking for attention via repetition because you assume that the more pressure you bring to bear the harder Corsair will work to resolve your issue.

That indicates that you presume Corsair is not exactly trying hard enough to resolve this to your satisfaction ... and that shows that you aren't fully aware of the technical situation and the difficulty involved in it's solution. You just want it now because you've spent X amount of hard earned dollars and you don't feel like waiting any longer. So get a refund then, as I stated, otherwise ZIP it and be patient like the rest of us.

You're correct this is a support forum, but none of the issues you have mentioned have a solution the membership can assist you with.

The thing is that none of this forum is wiped on a daily basis, and filling multiple threads with the same issue is getting tedious. You are looking for attention via repetition because you assume that the more pressure you bring to bear the harder Corsair will work to resolve your issue.

That indicates that you presume Corsair is not exactly trying hard enough to resolve this to your satisfaction ... and that shows that you aren't fully aware of the technical situation and the difficulty involved in it's solution. You just want it now because you've spent X amount of hard earned dollars and you don't feel like waiting any longer. So get a refund then, as I stated, otherwise ZIP it and be patient like the rest of us.

You're correct this is a support forum, but none of the issues you have mentioned have a solution the membership can assist you with.

Not many times will I give a 1 up on but this post certainly deserves it

+1

I agree with some, (most), of the comments above.

I do, however, take a bit of umbrage at the "I believe, and hope most of our customers agree, that we’ve built the most advanced gaming keyboard on the market, but we have more work to do." statement.

If, by "built" you mean that you've assembled something, then I would agree... To me as a conumer though, "built" means having a working product. 16.8 million color aside, I still get non-functioning keys, color lockups, and slow startups... (Just now typing this I had to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in because my S key stopped functioning.)

I've paid $243 for a keyboard that doesn't 'keyboard' reliably. Period. It not only does NOT do what you advertised it to do with regard to its extrordinary capabilities, it won't even reliably perform basic functions!

If your next iteration of your software/firmware does not fix this once and for all then I will indeed want a full refund.

... That indicates that you presume Corsair is not exactly trying hard enough to resolve this to your satisfaction ... and that shows that you aren't fully aware of the technical situation and the difficulty involved in it's solution ...
Yes, that's my complaint. We have no information other than a few users who have more experience with LEDs and electronics in general, but no word from Corsair, other than the almost trademark "we're working on it". This is what most users are complaining about - the lack of transparency. A "fix" was announced back in October, it's now March and this statement reveals that a fix might come 8 weeks down the line, so ~May. That's over 7 months. So.. Yeah :) I've been a software developer for the better part of 10 years, and I've never encountered an issue that took that long to fix, even with alpha/beta/testing/rc etc stages - it just doesn't take that long, period. That means Corsair is dealing with major issues and most likely hardware design flaws, and some of us (including me) think that these issues cannot be resolved in a way that will that will satisfy the claims Corsair has made about the lighting abilities of these products.

What would help, is a better understanding of why it's taking so long for Corsair to deliver what they promised in the first place. We've arrived at a point where Corsair has even changed their marketing material from 16.8m colors to "multi color lighting" on their website, and it seems the update is rolling out to retailers, as Amazon has been already updated. So now that the cat is out of the bag, we as customers would like to know the situation Corsair is dealing with and if in fact this issue is fixable. Even though this statement indicates that a fix will be available, don't get me wrong, but I'm personally sceptical as so many issues haven't been fixed for so long, and the fact that for so long Corsair has kept the 16.8m colors claim, now they're changing that message. It would seem that if the fix was nearing completion they would hold off changing their marketing and keep it the way it was, but they have changed it, and I find that an indication of things to come..

I haven't found any keyboards out there with so many problems that Corsair has - pressing certain buttons repeatedly freeze the keyboard, other software (like Steam and games) freeze the lighting, and so on. Are these issues just software based, or can it be a hardware issue? I'm afraid we won't get any answers, but ArtGranda, the more users complain and voice their concerns, hopefully Corsair will listen and respond, like the statement from the CEO - that wouldn't have happened if the users here kept silent, so MaximumPC.com wouldn't have reported on this, which put heat on Corsair, resulting in hours after the article was published the statement here on this forum went online. The circle of ***** hitting the fan - it worked, and we got at least a half decent response from higher up, although technically nothing got cleared up..

I agree with some, (most), of the comments above.

I do, however, take a bit of umbrage at the "I believe, and hope most of our customers agree, that we’ve built the most advanced gaming keyboard on the market, but we have more work to do." statement.

If, by "built" you mean that you've assembled something, then I would agree... To me as a conumer though, "built" means having a working product. 16.8 million color aside, I still get non-functioning keys, color lockups, and slow startups... (Just now typing this I had to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in because my S key stopped functioning.)

I've paid $243 for a keyboard that doesn't 'keyboard' reliably. Period. It not only does NOT do what you advertised it to do with regard to its extrordinary capabilities, it won't even reliably perform basic functions!

If your next iteration of your software/firmware does not fix this once and for all then I will indeed want a full refund.

I do sympathize with you and indeed if I were having the problems you and a few others are describing I would be unhappy too. However my RGB keyboard and mouse are working perfectly and according to Corsair so are most of them. So by my experience the CEO's statement is true.

I'm personally not experiencing the slow POST issue, but still i feel it's something that should have priority over the color support, that's my opinion anyway.

About the resource usage, CUE has a very ineffective way of loading its data into the systems memory. More info in these posts: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136675, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=134956, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/260063-corsair-utility-engine-high-memory-usage/

Oh... Interesting. My CUE is showing less than 5MB in Task Manager.

I do sympathize with you and indeed if I were having the problems you and a few others are describing I would be unhappy too. However my RGB keyboard and mouse are working perfectly and according to Corsair so are most of them. So by my experience the CEO's statement is true.

Same here. Mine works perfectly.

I echo a lot of the sentiments that are posted here. I appreciate Corsair being open enough to a point where they communicate their status with their customers which is why I continue to recommend Corsair in general (there is still more room for transparency however.)

With that said, the amount of time both my keyboards have spent in RMA and without its advertised features is ridiculous. I am stuck here on a borrowed rubber-dome keyboard as my K95 is in the process of an RMA. This is the second keyboard I've had to send in. Forget even trying to make use of the 512 colors that are showing up.

These issues are the exact kinds that I was trying to avoid when I decided to purchase the K70 and K95 RGB over the Razer Blackwidow Chroma. I felt that I was buying from a far more reputable brand which has had quality products in the past. I was not expecting such a terrible experience for so long after the product release. Even without the RMA's, the software bugs and freezes have made having an RGB keyboard pointless.

I believe Corsair should at minimum extend their 2 year warranty on the keyboard to start from the date they deliver on their advertised features (a keyboard that works with games [steam], displays 16.8 million colors, etc. A finished product essentially.)

Why? I want to ensure that Corsair will maintain responsibility for their management decisions which lead them to the situation they are in. I am very much against companies who advertise features with the intent of adding them after product release. They should at the very least inform consumers that the feature will be enabled at a later point in time. Else, the consumer should rightly believe those features will come with the shipped product. I don't want to have a keyboard that is not warranted any more just as I finally get the product I thought I was purchasing.

I'm glad that Corsair is taking great steps to work with their customers. I have had positive experiences with Corsair James as well as the support staff which is why I am still here on the forums, but I believe there is still much more that Corsair do to learn from this experience. I hope Corsair takes something away from their interactions with their customers from the last few months such as with the keyboard issues and their logo switch :)

Same here. Mine works perfectly.

Man, I wish mine did.... I REALLY wanted this thing to work.... but it's been so bad with individual key lockups tonight that I finally sent off an email asking for the refund. I can't get anything done.

fwiw, it's gotten a lot worse in 1.5.80. I deleted the last version so I'm back to 1.3.70 in the meantime.

I'll go out and buy a regular kb so I can get some work done.

EDIT: Whatever the firmware change was to the KB, changing back to an earlier version does not help. It now has key lockups almost every 5 minutes that require unplugging the KB and plugging it back in to clear. I'm just using stock lighting profiles sent with CUE and have tried USB2 and 3 ports.

I've heard back from Corsair directing me to an RMA page that only offers replacements, not refunds.

Not happy.

I believe Corsair should at minimum extend their 2 year warranty on the keyboard to start from the date they deliver on their advertised features (a keyboard that works with games [steam], displays 16.8 million colors, etc. A finished product essentially.)

Excellent suggestion.

If they did that now, it would go a long way to restoring their reputation as far as I'm concerned.

Excellent suggestion.

If they did that now, it would go a long way to restoring their reputation as far as I'm concerned.

LoL. Some good their warranty did for me. I put in for RMA cause mine has broken L key cap and few loose key caps after normal use of 4-5 months. I lost original receipt from local B&M store where I bought it. Was told they will offer me one time "courtesy" of replacing it, but once I get new keyboard warranty on it will only be 30 days. Great! Thanks! ... NOT.

Already moved past Corsair and this crap really. Got me Chroma couple of weeks ago and will accept their "courtesy" and keep K70 RGB as a "backup" keyboard or use it when I need to plug keyboard into server or something, which almost never happens thanks to IPMI.

Corsair actually did you a favor as many companies will not offer any warranty on a product without proof of purchase. You may not have gotten a new warranty with that new keyboard but at least you did get a new keyboard. You most likely wont need that warranty any way.

You must have been really unlucky with you original keyboard with broken and loose keys, I have a K90 I have had for several years and the keys and switches feel as good as the day I bought them and other than the surface of the keys being worn smooth the look good too.

Already moved past Corsair and this crap really. Got me Chroma couple of weeks ago...

Corsair has pretty good build quality on keyboards, but not rock solid quality like Filco and Das, or even Ducky if you want lights. However, Razer is not close to rock solid or Corsair standards. Razer is known for good marketing but a higher incidence of faulty equipment and crappy customer interactions. Still, problems with Razer or Corsair keyboards are not normal. It's bad luck. Hopefully you won't get unlucky with Razer. You should resell your Corsair RGB for bank and get a $10 backup keyboard.

• Corsair Employee
I echo a lot of the sentiments that are posted here. I appreciate Corsair being open enough to a point where they communicate their status with their customers which is why I continue to recommend Corsair in general (there is still more room for transparency however.)

With that said, the amount of time both my keyboards have spent in RMA and without its advertised features is ridiculous. I am stuck here on a borrowed rubber-dome keyboard as my K95 is in the process of an RMA. This is the second keyboard I've had to send in. Forget even trying to make use of the 512 colors that are showing up.

These issues are the exact kinds that I was trying to avoid when I decided to purchase the K70 and K95 RGB over the Razer Blackwidow Chroma. I felt that I was buying from a far more reputable brand which has had quality products in the past. I was not expecting such a terrible experience for so long after the product release. Even without the RMA's, the software bugs and freezes have made having an RGB keyboard pointless.

Why? I want to ensure that Corsair will maintain responsibility for their management decisions which lead them to the situation they are in. I am very much against companies who advertise features with the intent of adding them after product release. They should at the very least inform consumers that the feature will be enabled at a later point in time. Else, the consumer should rightly believe those features will come with the shipped product. I don't want to have a keyboard that is not warranted any more just as I finally get the product I thought I was purchasing.

I'm glad that Corsair is taking great steps to work with their customers. I have had positive experiences with Corsair James as well as the support staff which is why I am still here on the forums, but I believe there is still much more that Corsair do to learn from this experience. I hope Corsair takes something away from their interactions with their customers from the last few months such as with the keyboard issues and their logo switch :)

I'm pretty reasonable with RMA's with an expired warranty. As long as I'm here, if its a reasonable period after a warranty is over, I'll be more than happy to make exceptions. As I've always stressed, my PM box is always open for people to take up issues with as well as including warranty questions.

Archived