Corsair Community

Scimitar problems

You should be using the latest release, not beta builds. Beta builds that we haven't sanctioned for public distribution are not stable and may cause more problems than they will solve (hence why they're betas).

That said, if your mouse's side buttons are not responsive, can you take a screenshot of the "corsair composite virtual input device" and it's device status?

I stopped using the beta firmware and went back to the latest release. Was having the issue until all of a sudden it started working again after reboots. Seems to be sporadic, and any updates that come through for CUE seem to break it again for an unspecified time. The corsair composite virtual input device is always active and installed normally in device manager. I cannot seem to pinpoint the cause or what temporarily fixes it.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After getting an approval, I can finally post the previous Scimitar Firmware here.

Instructions on updating FW:

1. Download the attachment

2. Load into Cue

3. Click on settings and then Device tab

4. Click on update FW and it will ask for you the file

5. Please use the APP bin file

tried this and it has borked my mouse to a point where it is not even lighting up and my computer seems to think it is a drive and i can look at it and its just a drive called "CRP DISABLD" and has a file called firmware.bin at 128KB

Having a similar issue. By default all of the key assignments are 'none', except for Left/Right/Middle Click, and DPI Up/Down, which work fine. Soon as I bind them to ANYTHING else, they stop working entirely.

For example, if I leave everything as default, I can use the left/right mouse buttons like normal. If I rebind one of them to, for example, the 'A' key, it stops working. As soon as I bind any function to any button, that button stops working. Not just the side buttons, but all buttons. To clarify, as soon as I press 'Reset to Default' on any given keybind, it starts working again. If I rebind it to something else, it stops working.

Here is my current situation:

Using Corsair Scimitar RGB Mouse. Upgraded to 2.01 firmware, which caused it to stop working. Found this thread, rolled back to 1.06 firmware, but it is still not working. Using CUE 1.15.36 if that matters. The CUE software seems to be fine, and the connection to the mouse seems fine. I can update the lightning settings in the software and it immediately updates on the mouse. The only thing that isn't working is the keybinds.

I have tried both firmware versions, USB 2.0 and 3.0, multiple reboots, uninstalling and reinstalling the CUE software, etc. Nothing has helped.

My system specs are updated on my profile..

Any ideas?

Edited by echolog

@Hunter68uk

That 'drive' is part of a process for known as a 'hard reset' that is usually given out via customer service in tickets. Deleting the firmware.bin file and putting the firmware from Henry's post should fix it after a unplug/replug.

If not, put in a support ticket for the complete steps for a hard reset.

https://corsair.secure.force.com/

@echolog

Have you tried the binds in something like Notepad? Do they work fine?

You can also try downgrading to the previous version and see whether that helps.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138472

@Hunter68uk

That 'drive' is part of a process for known as a 'hard reset' that is usually given out via customer service in tickets. Deleting the firmware.bin file and putting the firmware from Henry's post should fix it after a unplug/replug.

If not, put in a support ticket for the complete steps for a hard reset.

https://corsair.secure.force.com/

Thanks i put in a ticket over the weekend and they replied this morning on how to fix it

Its now all fixed thanks :D

No more broken mouse

@Hunter68uk

@echolog

Have you tried the binds in something like Notepad? Do they work fine?

You can also try downgrading to the previous version and see whether that helps.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138472

Nope, the buttons simply do nothing. Once I re-bind any button on the mouse, that button stops working in all programs. Tried multiple firmware updates/rollbacks.

So, I guess it's not working anymore, as my mouse completely doesn't work now. At all.

I turned on my computer, and had no mouse. However, a popup from CUE came up, telling me there was a firmware upgrade available for my Scimitar (though the mouse doesn't exist in CUE). Having zero other options, I said sure (after plugging in a different mouse, as tab, etc, don't work on that dialog box). It's now stuck on 3% updating. It's updating to version 2.01, which, unless a new one just came out in the last day or two, I already had. Logs attached. I've restarted a couple times.

Edit: I walked away for five minutes because I was angry. When I came back, CUE sees the mouse, but it's set to malfunction. I have a Z97 chipset motherboard, not the older systems having issues before. Except for an additional hard drive I added, my listed specs are current.

Edit 2: I restarted, then walked away again, when the Scimitar didn't show up. Came back 5-10 minutes later, and it's listed as working normally-all buttons work.

I put a ticket in with support, but I don't know what that will do, as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and it shouldn't take 5 minutes to know which it's going to do. I thought this issue was only happening on the 5+ year old systems? Not that that's ok in anyway whatsoever, either. Of course this happened just as support closes for the day, too.

2016-02-23T15-39-59.txt

2016-02-23T16-43-26.txt

2016-02-23T16-45-09.txt

Edited by Zirq
New info

You will want to make sure your chipset drivers, BIOS and Windows is up to date.

If your motherboard also has a third party USB controller on it, you may want to try moving it to a USB port controlled by the Z97 chipset. You can usually find this information in the motherboard's user manual.

You may receive instructions for a hard reset or instructions for a downgrade to the previous firmware, though i haven't seen your issue occur on any other Z97 system yet.

Chipset, bios, and windows are all up to date. I also uninstalled and reinstalled CUE since my last post.

As far as I'm aware, there's no 3rd party USB controller. Device manager only says Intel USB 3.0, along with the normal generic listings. As it's not expressly stated anywhere I've seen in the manual or website, I'm assuming there isn't.

I realized there may be pertinent information I left out previously, too.

This occurred immediately after I had to do a hard shutdown on my computer (power button held down) due to a program freezing up my system and not ending, and preventing a simple restart. The next time I turned on my computer, the previously stated happened.

The program that froze was trying to create and image a flash drive.

I have no idea if that actually somehow caused this, or just a coincidence.

I really don't want to drop down to the previous firmware, as I was having trouble with the laggy non responsive cursor (less once I disabled lighting). That would be a hard decision-Wait 5 minutes for the mouse to possibly work each time I boot, or have to unplug/replug in the mouse in the middle of whatever I'm doing, randomly.

Hopefully all I need is a hard reset of the mouse.

All good now, super happy!

In case anyone has a similar issue (on a newer-ish chipset, I assume the similar issue remains from the older systems), the solution:

Support got back to me and suggested I uninstall CUE, then run CCleaner, restart, and then reinstall. I had previously reinstalled CUE, but did not run CCleaner or clean out remnants in the registry by hand. Feeling derpy, as I didn't think of that myself, I did it.

My Scimitar now appears to be back to working order (no more random Malfunction status), complete with prompt detection from CUE on boot.

Conclusion: CUE got corrupted by a forced shut down of the system, however it presented stronger symptoms of firmware being corrupted on a single device, instead of itself.

So, since I have an X58 chipset, I've been holding off on updating my CUE software (also not keen on the lift height issue) and firmware. My mouse works great for me for now unless I turn on rainbow mode, and I'd prefer not break what isn't broken. What I can't find is a way to block the popup windows every time my computer boots up telling me to update my firmware and software. Do I need to add something to my hosts file?

there are 2 files in the 1.06 firmware download. which one should I update my Scimitar RGB with, the one named Simitar_BLD_002_APP_V106.bin which is 128KB or the one named Scimitar_V106.bin which is 35KB? Any help appreciated :)

edit - nm, just noticed, Henry said use the APP file.

Edited by Grense

Any updates for the official fix? None of the above have fixed my side buttons not working even after them seem to map correctly in cue. Can not even map a simple back button to the mouse.

I got the mouse in Oct 2015 and it worked perfectly for the first few months, only recently has the side buttons and all mapping (even making the dpi button a back button) no longer works.

Tried restarting, un-installing cue, different firmwares for the mouse, different versions of cue.

Any updates for the official fix? None of the above have fixed my side buttons not working even after them seem to map correctly in cue. Can not even map a simple back button to the mouse.

I got the mouse in Oct 2015 and it worked perfectly for the first few months, only recently has the side buttons and all mapping (even making the dpi button a back button) no longer works.

Tried restarting, un-installing cue, different firmwares for the mouse, different versions of cue.

Finding a fix for this issue is a top priority for Corsair rn. They have found the root cause of this issue.

• Corsair Employee

Hi all,

An internal fix has been deployed today and we've now moved from development to the testing phase. We're still looking at about 2-3 weeks at the latest but it is looking very good.

If anyone wants to give it a try and doesn't want to wait for the OFFICIAL FW, ping me and I'll give it to you for testing. It would be best to wait for the official one to avoid any unforeseen issues but if you really want to give it a try, I don't mind seeing different configurations for more comprehensive testing.

Don't mean to necro especially if there is a fix coming but thought I would contribute.

Here are my logs considering I also seem to be experiencing the exact same issues as described.

logs.zip

Thanks for your feedback on the issue.

Just a N.B - I have noticed that a similar Logitech program has also been running most of the time "Logitech Gaming Software 8.85"

Another Z68 user here, mouse isn't completely broken like others, but does take about 5 minutes to be recognized by CUE. Also, once it is, it always prompts for the 2.01 update even though it states it is already on it. Every single boot no matter how many times the update is run, it prompts for it.

Looking forward to the fix, this mouse has been quite problematic.

• 2 weeks later...