Corsair Community

I need help setting up my fans and light strips

Persephone

Untitled-1.png.b12b96fff742e18ac5794bbe85713c60.png

Try not to focus on my artistic skills, the non-existent attempt to scale things according to real-life, and the fact that I didn't put the fan cables side-by-side. lol

• ML refers to ML140 Elite fans. Could be QL140 too.
  • PINK for RGB cables and slots.
  • RED for fan cables and slots.
  • YELLOW for USB cables and slots.

TL;DR: Will everything work fine if I follow the illustration above?

I'm getting myself some new fans and light strips as soon as the Lian Li O11 Air Mini is available in Brazil. I have no idea where I should begin when it comes to the accessories needed to achieve my goal, so any help would be appreciated.

I already have two ML140 Elite fans from my H115i Elite AIO and I think I'll buy another 4 because they seem to be more durable than something like an LL140 or QL140. I might change my mind and get 4 or 6 QL140.

I'll have 2 front intake, 2 bottom intake, and 2 top exhaust fans (for my radiator), all 140 mm. I'm not counting the 120 mm rear fan because I'll use a discrete non-RGB fan there, or maybe even an LCD monitoring screen instead of a fan.

As for the light strips, my plan is to set an LS100 450mm strip at the top and the other at the bottom, so that's why I wouldn't daisy chain them.

I have the Commander CORE that came with the AIO, but not the Commander PRO. I guess I could get a Lighting Node PRO instead, but the Commander PRO would allow me to add extra fans if I ever need to.

These are the main questions I have:
  • Would the LS100 Expansion Kit 450mm strips work without the LS100 Starter Kit? Corsair's website says the LS100 Starter Kit is required for some reason, but I'm hoping they will work with the Commander PRO alone since I don't really need 4 strips and another controller.
  • Can I connect the Commander CORE USB cable into the Commander PRO USB slot? If so, is there any difference between this and connecting each controller into a different USB 2.0 slot in the motherboard?

Hi buddy... yes the above diagram (my eyes my eyes!! lol 😉 ) will work.

and yes you can use those LS strips on a Commander Pro

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zotty said:

my eyes my eyes!! lol 😉

I'm sorry you had to see this monstrosity 😄

12 hours ago, Zotty said:

Hi buddy... yes the above diagram will work.

and yes you can use those LS strips on a Commander Pro

Thank you! I'm buying the Commander PRO and LS100 strips right now. 🙂

21 hours ago, Persephone said:

Can I connect the Commander CORE USB cable into the Commander PRO USB slot? If so, is there any difference between this and connecting each controller into a different USB 2.0 slot in the motherboard?

#2 might be the only point of concern. The USB passthrough on the Commander Pro is passive, like a USB splitter and does not offer device to device communication.  On Intel Z370/90 to Z590 this is a non-issue.  AMD x570 and B550 or newer boards have trouble with multiple devices on the same line or sometimes even direct connections to the motherboard.  Most AMD users need a powered USB hub to help manage devices that have connectivity issues when powered by the motherboard alone.