Corsair Community

Firmware Discussion (RGB Keyboards 1.15 / RGB Mice 1.16)

Corsair James

New firmware is needed to allow the K95 RGB to boot properly with my Gigabyte motherboard and Phoenix BIOS. The board is ONLY working after BIOS - making it necessary to have another keyboard on the my desk [a pain in the ***!] to get into BIOS, which I often have to do. Please Corsair, I've had other keyboards made by you that worked just fine with this same computer...but now having RMA'd and 'upgraded' my system is downgraded. You make such great memory [i have some too of yours] and other things like PSU's...but your latest keyboard was released too early and/or is not having the necessary resources applied. Also, I use both Windoz and Linux - how about supporting Linux [and Mac]. There is an excellent thread here by a great programmer who had done most of the work for you. As I understand it the RGB boards are more stable in his program than yours for Windoz users - but he needs your tech people's help on some firmware changes that will enable full functionality in Linux and Mac....help him and he will help you....and us. MANy of us have abandoned malware, overcommercialized and NSA-ridden with backdoors Windoz in favor of Linux...and more will...help us...or do you have an agreement with Windoz that prevents your supporting other operating systems?

This issue has been addressed there in no plans for a Mac / Linux driver or CUE. There is no such agrrment because windows is a open platform and so is Linux. His program isn't even close to what CUE can do and would take a year more more till it caught up.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This issue has been addressed there in no plans for a Mac / Linux driver or CUE. There is no such agrrment because windows is a open platform and so is Linux. His program isn't even close to what CUE can do and would take a year more more till it caught up.

It is my understanding that Linux is open code - and that Mac is not fully, but based on much of Linux/Unix building blocks; however Microsoft is proprietary - with many secrets and some that companies can be licensed to get the information/code/etc. for $$$$$. They are also contractually constricted from doing things not approved by MS. Lastly and the one that bothers me the most [though not germane in this matter - unless MS is allowing keyloggers into keyboards - a possibility] is that MS has and has long had a close relationship with the NSA and similar invaders of our privacy. Even without a 'contract' per se, many companies who provide peripherals or software are loathe to anger MS, because sadly most people use that horrible system - with its backdoors, over-priced, malware-ridden and poor performance. I do NOT know what the case is with Corsair, but I do know what the overall case is with companies who deal with MS. Open source is best and should be encouraged and supported in and of itself - and it also can be lucrative. You can't sell the software, but if you develop Linux-friendly software you sell more, for example, Corsair keyboards - and improve your reputation. It is not rocket science. This drum beat of 'Corsair has no intention of putting any energy or time into Linux or Mac' makes me very suspicious. Conspiracy is the MOST normal of human activities - as are lies hidden under more 'polite' language and disguise. What I was saying is HOW ABOUT making PLANS for Linux support! The world is changing and though I, through my work on a similar matter, have long known for 30 years what Snowden has recently exposed, proprietary computer OS are dying and open source is the way - and already better and more secure. I know due to crapitalism most companies just follow the crowd and the money...but isn't that sad. How about following the best! - at least supporting it until the transformation is made away from expensive, malware-ridden, and OS that spys on its users [or allows others to explicitly do so]. I'd be happy to post articles on MS's connections to NSA spying on all of their computers and software - and it is NOT without their knowledge [though they sometimes say this]. I guess as my bottom line I'm talking about ethics/morality in computer products and intellectual products - not just chasing the bottom line. Capitalism, IMHO has destroyed the USA and the Planet and is antithetical to democracy and life on this planet in the end. One can still make a living and a good one.....but the old model has failed humanity and the planet. End of rant.

I know your boards are often [most often] used by 'gamers'. I'm not and don't care about that at all. I've spent less than ten hours in my 64 years 'gaming'. There are other reasons to have high quality and performance keyboards with macros and other bells and whistles. In Linux, thanks to MCB it now works fine in Linux - it seems perhaps often better than in MS!...yes, there are no macros and the same problem MS users have with getting recognized through BIOS...but why can't some effort be put into allowing macros to be used in Linux....I'm not a programmer and I don't know what controllers you have inside, but I imagine it is only letting the 'secrets' of what code the G-keys use of generate, so that Linux and Mac can interact with them. Maybe it is more complex. I doubt it. Someone else can develop an open source equivalent to CUE.

Anyway, you know my 'vote'. I hope others will voice a 'yea' or 'nea' on this issue too. I have other Corsair products and they have been fine. This one was obviously released before it was ready for prime time.

I for one know that I will not be purchasing any more Corsair peripherals simply due to their lack of official linux support. And I blame myself for not doing enough research before going out and getting the K95 rgb. In this day and age it is something you expect that when you buy a product, it is supposed to fully work regardless of what platform. My bad.

The next peripheral purchase I will make will be a mouse and it definitely will NOT be a Corsair. :evil:

Also I know it might be a little paranoid. But I too have wondered whether these new keyboards have keylogging circuitry builtin to them. Why should a keyboard require special firmware and software 24/7 to fully work? Doesn't that seem a little too silly?

Corsair, it would be great if you made a seperate piece of software to calibrate the white levels of the lights on the keyboard, then flash the calibrated lights to it.

This would be really nice if possible, as I'm noticing there are some slight inconsistencies between different LEDs when they are set to white.

i just wrote to the customer service because of the lighting issue, and got this answer.

Created By: Arturo TS (4/19/2015 10:56 AM)

Would you like to look into the option of a refund?

like what? are they not even trying to fix this issue?

A new firmware which should fix the issue is currently in beta testing, but Corsair is offering full refunds to those that don't want to wait for the fix.

Well thats good to hear, nah i dont want a refund its a great keyboard

• 2 weeks later...

Direct mode switching / Direct mode switching (while pressed) doesnt work K70 RGB (latest firmware latest CUE)

the moment i hold the key down it switches to the correct mode then switches back to the main mode instantly (without me leaving the key)...

any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
Direct mode switching / Direct mode switching (while pressed) doesnt work K70 RGB (latest firmware latest CUE)

the moment i hold the key down it switches to the correct mode then switches back to the main mode instantly (without me leaving the key)...

any ideas?

This is a known issue - we found it prior to the latest release but couldn't risk delaying it. We'll work on it for the next update.

I'm having issues with my K70 after the update. It won't let me change the profile. It's recognized in CUE, but it will only allow me to disable the keyboard lightning, and change the polling rate.

I've restarted my system, unplugged the keyboard, and flipped the BIOS switch, but it still won't switch over into any of my saved profiles. The profiles tab isn't even selectable. Right now, the keyboard is in the default mode.

Any insight would be appreciated.

What did you update? Only the firmware to 1.20 maybe? If so you need to update also CUE to 1.5.108. If you are already on that version then it's strange. I would try to repair the CUE installation or uninstall and re-install from scratch.

What did you update? Only the firmware to 1.20 maybe? If so you need to update also CUE to 1.5.108. If you are already on that version then it's strange. I would try to repair the CUE installation or uninstall and re-install from scratch.

oops, thank you. Forgot to do that I guess. Works fine now.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Im hoping I can get my issue resolved..

I currently own a K70 RGB (sails), which I am using with the latest Firmware and CUE.

Today my new Corsair M65 RGB "sails" mouse arrived, I have plugged it in and all is working well except for one thing. CUE pops up with a message saying there is a new Firmware update available (1.19) but everytime I try to update the mouse I get an error from CUE saying "Failed To Update Device Firmware". The stock firmware that the mouse has is 1.16.

I have tried the USB2 ports at the back of my mboard and at the front of my case but still the issue persists, anyone else had this issue or know of a fix?

Thanks

Mike

Just an update, I installed my mouse on my laptop with CUE, and this time the firmware update worked fine, I am now running 1.19. There must be something on my own pc's CUE software or something else on my pc which was causing this to not update.

Thanks

Mike

• Corsair Employee
Just an update, I installed my mouse on my laptop with CUE, and this time the firmware update worked fine, I am now running 1.19. There must be something on my own pc's CUE software or something else on my pc which was causing this to not update.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for reporting back.

For additional info, if anyone has problems updating FW, our tech support team can walk you through it as there are two ways of updating FW (through CUE or through the hardware itself).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived