Corsair Community

Firmware Discussion (RGB Keyboards 1.15 / RGB Mice 1.16)

Corsair James

Has anyone else been having issues actually updating their keyboard? For me when I go to update it it just tried for a few seconds then spits out "Failed to update device firmware". Also in general I haven't been able to update my firmware since I got it on my desktop. I always have to plug it into a different computer and then it updates just fin. I've tried re-installing the software a few times and I've tried it with both USB 2.0 and 3.0, but its no go.

I think I had the same sort of issue once, my work around was to change the switch at the back of the keyboard and for some reason, that allowed it to update properly, maybe it would work for you.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I had the same sort of issue once, my work around was to change the switch at the back of the keyboard and for some reason, that allowed it to update properly, maybe it would work for you.

I've been getting that from people. I'll go ahead and try that again and see what happens, but it never ended up working the first time.

i have been testing this k95 for 3 solid days and solution does not seems to work. The problem I have are follow

1. K95 stop working with cue after software install and reboot (working ok after install and before reboot.

2. M1, m2 and m3 key not working.

3. The white color led turn to pink! No matter how I reset to white and it is still pink. Can corsair make the bios file available for down load so that I can reset to factory default?

It is a nightmare to have this keyboard, I hope corsair do something about this.

The white color led turn to pink! No matter how I reset to white and it is still pink. Can corsair make the bios file available for down load so that I can reset to factory default?

Have you ensured that you haven't got a group colour and key colour applied? Just make sure to have one applied at once so that the colors don't mix. ie, you may have an [All] group with red applied to that group. If you then went and selected the whole keyboard and set colour to white, the result colour would be pink. This may or may not be what is happening to you, just a thought.

Just want to make note on a few more bugs discovered.

1) Freezing occurs when pressing the Caps Lock key more than once in a 1 second period. Lights freeze and an unplug or restart of CUE and polling mode switch required to unfreeze. (noticed this happened in Osu! running via steam)

2) Like the above post, there has been some weird things with the lighting. Sometimes white looks a bit green or pink. I have ensured that white is only colour applied and this is quite odd.

Yeah and I still have the same issues of Keyboard Malfunction, more and more everyday I regret buying this keyboard.

I am having to unplug my keyboard multiple times a day to get it off malfunction.

It does not seem to matter whether I browse the net, play a game this very expensive keyboard is extremely frustrating.

Same here. My keyboard goes into malfunction mode a few times a day on average, and it got worse since I installed this firmware update. I installed it less than an hour ago and it's gone into malfunction mode three times already.

This is ridiculous.

-edit-

Make that ten times in two hours before I leave for work. Absolutely incredible. Does anyone have the 1.14 or 1.13 firmware for the K70 and know how to downgrade it?

Well to answer my own question, I guess people who don't have issues don't post much. Installed the new FW and no problems, just finally able to control scrollwheel color and the KB turns off in sleep mode. (not that it was hard to hit the brightness button to turn it off before). Do the people with the issues have the original one with the sails logo or the newer one with the gaming logo?

get the issue with hanging at computer boot up

Yep, same here. Probably about a 15-30 second hang up at the bios splash before it keeps going... also oddly the computer will go to "sleep" but never actually "sleep" ... it gets to this sort of like... unresponsive state that acts like hibernate but doesn't turn off. I even reformatted the OS on this computer, so I know it's not the Software.

Sidenote, Pretty sure its by design that you have to unplug it before/after making any changes to the hw mode switch for it to take effect.

Nope. At least, not in my experience with this thing. I toggle the polling switch whenever cue freezes up to reinitialize the device, seems to work just fine. It actually seems considerably faster with the firmware update.

Just want to make note on a few more bugs discovered.

1) Freezing occurs when pressing the Caps Lock key more than once in a 1 second period. Lights freeze and an unplug or restart of CUE and polling mode switch required to unfreeze. (noticed this happened in Osu! running via steam)

2) Like the above post, there has been some weird things with the lighting. Sometimes white looks a bit green or pink. I have ensured that white is only colour applied and this is quite odd.

To add, not only does it affect the Caps Lock key, but for me it affects all of the lock keys.

Just received my new K65 and K95 today! I'm trying to update the firmware but I just get the simple message "failed to update device firmware" when I go to download it. I've set CUE to Administrator mode and also set it as an exception in my antivirus but no dice.

Although reading some replies in this thread about the firmware breaking things maybe it's good I can't download it ^_^;

I can also confirm that after the Firmware update to 1.15 on my K70 RGB Steam related lockups appear to be more frequent than before, and now they will sometimes happen when I'm in game, which did not happen before the update (Most recently when playing The Evil Within). There also appears to be an issue with CUE freezing up when The AMD Gaming Evolved App (Raptr) launches as well, usually on system start up, which did not happen before. In both cases, the affected program takes a very long time to launch, and the keyboard lighting effects freeze up, although the keyboard keys still register unless CUE stops responding. When CUE stops responding, I restart it and it usually won't crash again unless I reboot. When the lighting stops working switching the keyboard to BIOS mode and back again will usually make it work again. Pressing caps lock does not freeze the keyboard anymore though, and the lights shut off when i turn the rig off now, too. I actually find myself wishing I could downgrade to firmware version 1.14 now. On a side note, when I connect both plugs to the USB 3.0 ports instead of the 2.0 ones, the keyboard and CUE seem to be more stable.

No ill will towards Corsair from me though, this is a new technology and it will experience some growing pains in terms of software stability. One thing I will suggest for Corsair to do is when releasing a new firmware or CUE software update, please leave the old version up on the downloads page, so that users can downgrade if necessary. In my case, firmware version 1.14 was much more stable than 1.15.

Edit: the lighting will still freeze on boot up in USB 3.0 unless I disable AMD Gaming Evolved app on start up, then when the app is launched the lighting will freeze regardless of what it's plugged into. Steam will freeze it every time it's launched, no matter what USB plug I use. And if I press scroll lock even once, the lighting will freeze. It seemed to be a placebo at first that USB 3.0 was helping. In all cases, switching to BIOS mode and back makes the lighting work again, and the key presses still register even when the lighting freezes. CUE does not crash when Steam launches, but when AMD Gaming Evolved is updated, CUE stops responding and it freezes the lighting.

I just updated to 1.15 firmware and one big problem for me.

When playing Typeracer and I start rocking out at over 100 words per minute, the keyboard starts lagging is no longer keeping up with me. Even as I type this post, I type what's on my mind and then watch the letters try to keep up with me.

Tried different web browsers, tried using USB 2 and USB 3 ports. No difference. I can reproduce the problem easily by just opening notepad and mashing a bunch of keys and it takes forever for the jibberish letters to come up.

Anybody else having this typing delay problem? Please just try it out for notepad and let me know if I'm the only one or not.

Okay, Corsair responded to my support ticket mad fast and told me to uninstall the software and reinstall the latest version. I think I was running Corsair Gaming Engine or something, and the new version seems to be called Corsair Utility Engine. Anyways, followed their advice and everything is back to normal for me!

No issues here now, just posted this up if it helps anybody else out.

Btw, I see people had similar lighting-up issues I was having when I powered my PC off. This is not a fix, but here's what I do: I created a Mode within my most common profile called "Lights Off." I just have that mode with all backlighting off purely for when I power down my PC. I have 'Pause Break' button assigned to switch modes. I just hit that key once or twice, everything goes out, and I power down my system. Again, not a fix, but works for me and I don't lose the power-off USB charging function.

Updating CUE and the new KB+M firmware gave me back the # and \ keys on the UK layout. I've missed them all too much for the last couple of months.

I have yet to see whether high CPU load crashes CUE still, as previously it would revert to: no lights on either the K95RGB or M65RGB and default DPI on the M65RGB.

I am still chuffed by the return of the # and \ keys though, so cheers Corsair!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just registered on here because I have an issue. I bought a K65 RGB yesterday and tried updating the firmware on it today when I got home from work because I did not want to keep postponing it. I use a 7 port AC powered USB Hub on my laptop (my main machine/DTR right now). The only things plugged into it are my mouse and a wireless kb/m adapter for when I'm in bed.

The keyboard worked flawlessly on it until I tried updating the firmware. The CUE downloaded the firmware update and installed it, giving me a message about success. The only issue was my keyboard shut off and went black. I figured I would give it a minute and see if it was restarting itself. The lights came back on but everything was changed to white and the capslock and scroll lock leds were just flashing white. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it did the same thing.

The keyboard itself worked but did not show up in CUE, could not change lighting or anything I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again this time it lit up white again but told me there was a firmware update, again it said success and the same thing happened but this time it went black and I got a windows notification that a USB device was not working properly or unrecognized. The keys came on in the default red/white FPS profile, then switched to the rainbow scheme the display units run at bestbuy. It was showing up in the device manager as an unrecognized device, but was getting power from the USB hub so just running in the demo loop it seems like.

I plugged it into my laptop itself and my profile loaded correctly and came back, told me I needed a firmware update, figured that might solve everything so I let it update and it said success, then it went black and came back on with my profile again so everything looked good to go. It worked fine no problems. I unplugged it and plugged it back into my USB hub and it worked for about 5 minutes then in the middle of typing went black and into the demo loops and said one of my usb devices malfunctioned etc etc unknown device. I tried every port and combination of ports on my hub, tried unplugging the hub itself from power/the computer and nothing allows it to work. Now it does not even come on white with blinking LEDs so I can use it, it just goes straight to the factory loop, yet if I plug it in my laptop it works. Every port on the HUB however works fine with any other USB devices. I have tried "uninstalling" the unknown device from device manager and letting it reinstall and it's the same thing everytime.

I am very upset and not sure what exactly else to try and do right now. I cannot use it on the USB ports on my computer, I do not have enough and the only 2 next to each other are taken and cannot be switched. My usb hub works fine with my mouse, my old CM Storm trigger, flash drives etc. It's this one RGB keyboard on my hub that it is not working with. I really wanted to keep this keyboard but if I cannot fix it short of a windows reinstall I have to return it. I was considering swapping it out for the k75 as well but not I'm afraid to because they're so similar I'm afraid it will be recognized the same way when I try to plug it in.

TLDR: Trying to update the firmware for my K65 RGB seems to have killed something with my keyboard/USB hub (AC Powered) yet it seems to work when plugged directly into computer (which unfortunately is not an option for me).

A few peoples have reported that using an USB HUB causes issues, not all but yours might as well be one of those seeing what you're reporting.

I can only suggest you to update the firmware again WITHOUT using the USB HUB, once this is done try restarting the computer and see what happens. If all is good try using again the HUB.

Any word on incoming firmware updates any time soon? It's very frustrating to own a very expensive flagship keyboard that has been seemingly abandoned by the developers less than three months after release. Sure we've gotten a few fixes, but they're too few and far between. What of the software fix for the limited color spectrum that has been spoken of? What of fixing the many bugs that have plagued the keyboard since release? I like my K70 a lot and all, but the devs need to let us in the know more often, and that's not what they're doing.

I had issues due to the older updates to software and firmware. All of my slight issues have been taken care of with the newest updates and I credit the people at Corsair for fixing them even with disparate hardware and software installed on each and every machine. I have been using MS since DOS 1.1 and every OS since, sometimes it takes tracking down the culprit on your system or to wait until there is a fix. This is one of the nicest keyboards I have owned since IBM (K70 RGB) and love the customization. This was the first computer I have built, not bought and I learned even more about my hobby than ever. Sometimes you have to wait for the kinks to be worked out or go somewhere else. End of soapbox

Amélie

I had issues due to the older updates to software and firmware. All of my slight issues have been taken care of with the newest updates and I credit the people at Corsair for fixing them even with disparate hardware and software installed on each and every machine. I have been using MS since DOS 1.1 and every OS since, sometimes it takes tracking down the culprit on your system or to wait until there is a fix. This is one of the nicest keyboards I have owned since IBM (K70 RGB) and love the customization. This was the first computer I have built, not bought and I learned even more about my hobby than ever. Sometimes you have to wait for the kinks to be worked out or go somewhere else. End of soapbox

Amélie

It really is a remarkable keyboard, really, it is, but there are some issues that we keep hearing about from many people and some issues affecting as many as 50% of all users. The problem isn't that they have or haven't taken care of anything, it's that we have no idea when these issues are going to be fixed. We don't know if attempts are being made to improve CUE as a whole, or when/if bugs will be sorted out because they haven't told us anything. This isn't some keyboard I bought from Asia off of eBay, it's a flagship keyboard from a very reputable company, and I feel that as a keyboard that has been touted as the mother-of-all-keyboards with god-tier software, the communication shouldn't be as poor as it currently is.

Archived