Corsair Community

Wondering if the commander core will be enough for 9 Corsair RGB fans

DynamicTurtle

Hey so I'm upgrading my fans/rgb setup and so far I've gotten 6 Corsair ML-120 rgb fans and I am getting a Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX AIO.

With that AIO I saw that it comes with a commander core inside but I don't think its going to have enough space to fit the 9 total fans. It it possible for me to do this setup with just the commander core + 2 Lighting Node Cores that came with my fans or do I need to buy the commander node pro as well?

First, you absolutely need to have the Commander Core (CoCo) for the Capellix coolers. Period.

For fan PWM, you could make it work with PWM splitters or with a (powered) PWM fan hub ... or have some of them on the motherboard. The Capellix coolers don't have a separate PWM connection like the rest of the Corsair AIOs.

For RGB, you'll need to have the CoCo + a Lighting Node Pro/Lighting Node Core to control 9 fans. The CoCo will only control 6 RGB fans. There are RGB Fan splitters available that would work but at an additional cost. Why do that when you have what you need already?

Edited by DevBiker

I can attest to one thing. I tried connecting my Commander Core from the Capellix 360 to my commander pro through one of the USB ports. No good there. All my fans ran full speed and iCue did not recognize the H150i at all. Had to separate them on their own USB 2.0 header on the motherboard then starting working fine. So far looks like the Commander Core is only letting me connect 3 fans to it from the Capellix to control their speed and RGB. My other 6 fans I have running through the Commander Pro for the power and through the Lighting Node for the RGB setup.

Personally I don't care for fan splitters. I like to control each fan separately if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

it doesnt make sense...

I have the H150 with 3 fans connected to the CoCo... I have 3 more ML120 fans also connected to the CoCo... all 6 fans run and work with RGB.

I bought 3 more ML120 fans. These came with a RGB node and lighting node.

The RGB wires connect to the RGB node... and then connect to the lighting node. but using SATA, and lighting node using USB...

Why can I NOT connect the fan power to anything but the motherboard....

what is the point of the nodes if I have to use the motherboard? I really need help because it doesnt make sense.