Corsair Community

iCue causing system to hang/crash.

Hmm... I believe it might be an issue with v4.15.153+ in combination with a iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX cooler (firmware?).

After installing the LCD upgrade kit, I no longer crash. I also noticed that when upgrading from v4.15.153 to v4.16.194, it updated my H150i's firmware. After downgrading my software to v4.15.153 due to the crashing, my H150i behaved differently (lighting-wise). Hardware lighting was stuck on all red and could not be changed. It DID save changes if I upgraded back to v4.16.194 and up but continued to stay red if I downgraded back to v4.15.153. 

Note: I do not recommend upgrading for the sake of fixing this. I just wanted to shed some light on the root cause.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:20 PM, Arkhaic said:

Hmm... I believe it might be an issue with v4.15.153+ in combination with a iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX cooler (firmware?).

After installing the LCD upgrade kit, I no longer crash. I also noticed that when upgrading from v4.15.153 to v4.16.194, it updated my H150i's firmware. After downgrading my software to v4.15.153 due to the crashing, my H150i behaved differently (lighting-wise). Hardware lighting was stuck on all red and could not be changed. It DID save changes if I upgraded back to v4.16.194 and up but continued to stay red if I downgraded back to v4.15.153. 

Note: I do not recommend upgrading for the sake of fixing this. I just wanted to shed some light on the root cause.

NEVERMIND. Just crashed today.......... rolling back to v4.15.153.

1 minute ago, spencee25 said:

hey man i found a fix for me. I just disable the plugins option after reset the config files in %appdata%. Been about a week and no probelms when is was happening every day

I have a Asus B550-F Mobo and had the asus plugin. 

Restoring 4.15.153 worked.  Here are the details: I upgraded my W10 Ryzen system to the latest ICUE -- 4.18.209.  Previously my system had been stable.  With the upgrade, my system became unstable as others have described.  It died periodically and I had to power it down and up again to restart windows.  I deleted this version of ICUE and restored 4.15.153.  The system is again stable.

• Like 1

I registered just to add my experiences to this thread.

I upgraded to Windows 11 this weekend and did a complete reinstall updating everything to the latest version including UEFI, drivers and iCue

iCue 4 completely crashes my system to an extent that not even pressing reset or holding the power button works anymore. I have to power cycle my system to restart it.

When this happens my mainboard shows an invalid post code of 00 instead of the 9E it should have shown instead. USB seems to be completely dead because from what I can tell all USB devices connected to my PC are either completely off or in invalid states. Windows itself is completely frozen. Luckily for me pumps and fans still run.

It seems to happen when system power states are switched because it seems to happen when Windows switches the monitor off and goes to the first power save state (the one where the system still runs but display is off).

System ran absolutely fine for more than 48 hours straight before I installed iCue (including stress testing with Prime95, Cinebench R24 and 3D Mark) and it runs absolutely fine since I’ve removed iCue again.

Ryzen 3900X

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Gigabyte RTX 3080

32 GB of Corsair RAM

latest BIOS

latest iCue 4 version downloaded on 1/8/2022

• Like 2

Adding my experience.  I have a new build, well middle of last year, so the spec was not quite what I wanted.

I built it around August 2021 and apart from an early need to update the BIOS it has been pretty rock solid. I installed Windows 11  in October 2021, still everything ok.  Once I decided to stick with W11 I checked to ensure the various bits of software were up to date.

On 9/11/21 I tried to update to iCUE4.15.153. I can't recall what the stable version came before, possibly 14,  It (4.15)  complained of missing DLLs I tried again, still no success. Then I noticed that 4.16.194 had become available.  This successfully loaded, but every day or so the computer would freeze and require the PSU to be switched on an off. The screens showed whatever was happening at the time and the mouse froze,  It became a nuisance because it sometimes crashed during long Zoom calls. Fortunately the reboot speed is good.

In the meantime a new version of iCUE4 became available 4.17.244 which I installed on 13/11/21 - this was better but the computer froze every four days and still required the PSU to be switched off/on to restart.  By now I was reasonably sure that it was the iCUE4 software causing the computer freezing problems.

I was going to revert to a previous known good iCUE4 (not that I was sure whether it was 10/11/12/13/14 but iCUE4 4.18.209 was released and I installed it on the 15/12/21. My computer froze 2 hours later. 

At this point I decided to go back to the first version of iCUE4 I could find in my download file - 4.10.273. I tend to hang onto old versions of software, but I wasn't sure whether I might have updated from the iCUE4 software which would store the update elsewhere.  My computer is now stable again.  Currently it has been up for 14 days (I did shut down my computer for other reasons which is why it is not longer.)

My plan is to try out higher versions of iCUE4 a step at a time 11/12/13/14 although I note the latest version has recently been released(4.19.191) so I will wait to see what appears in the forum and might go straight for that..  

I haven't been paying that much attention to the the RGB colours - but they generally reverted to the default state.

The event viewer shows reports a Kernel-power error on reboot.  (which mislead me to worrying about my PSU!)

I have also seen a couple of these

The Corsair Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Ryzen 5900x/Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero/ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2060 OC EVO Edition 6GB/32GB Corsair RAM/Bio - 801, iCue4 4.10.273.  

Another with the same issue here! Does anyone know how to roll back firmware updates for the H150i Capellix? I updated the firmware to version 2.6.201 as well as iCue to 4.19 and since doing so my otherwise stable system keeps crashing and restarting when trying to play certain games or weirdly when downloading games using GOG galaxy (all worked fine before). I have tried going back to the version of iCue that I was using before (4.12) but am still having the issue which leads me to believe it’s the H150i firmware update that’s causing me trouble.

My old intel build worked fine with ique (lots of LL fans), my new amd build 5800x not so much, after build and fresh window install, i updated win 10 and then gpu driver. The next thing i installed was ique to controll my 4 corsair rams, 9 QL fans and a new corsair 360 elite lcd aio. while in ique trying different settings screen froze and i had to shut off with power button. This happened randomly a few more times within 30 to 90 min, even if i just started the pc and left it alone doing nothing (win sleep mode was turned off). i uninstalled ique and the fans are running in harware profile, pc has been on for over 12 hours now without freezing. Seems to me ique is to blame. Corsair needs to fix this, they have the most expensive fans and bling, but its all garbage if it dont work, the hardware profile is very limited

I’ve been having a play about with my system today, trying different versions of iCue and GOG in both Win10 and 11 but couldn’t get it to stop randomly crashing anywhere between 1-30mins. Went into the BIOS and disabled c-state and (touch wood) it’s not crashed for the last 3hrs whilst downloading games from GOG. Might be worth a try for others.

AMD 5900x

ASUS X570 Dark Hero

Nvidia 3090FE

Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600 32gb

icue is a very problematic software,

sometimes my dominator memory stops responding to icue and the animation hangs...

Same thing as others are mentioning here.

My setup seems similar to others:

AMD 5800X - h115i Pro RGB Cooler

TUF Gaming X570 Asus Board

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RGB Kit

Nvidia 3800ti

H500M CoolerMaster Case

K95 Corsair Keyboard (relevant to iCue software)

Windows 10 latest updates

I am getting more random crashes now then ever before.  So possibly more windows 10 updates messing with it.  I can just be on a random site and it will crash...CPU goes from my saved RGB pattern to some random colors and same for the Ram which is why I know it's iCue causing it.  

I've rolled back to the version 4.15 and has not helped.  My only option at this point is just to uninstall the software all together and deal with those components not using my RGB system the way I want.  Really a shame since seems like everything is using RGB and iCue for corsair now.  I'm sure its an issue with syncing it with other components in our PC's.....but that can't be an excuse as so many people are having this issue.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you.

I spent a few weeks trying to figure out what was the issue with my computer.

A few days after getting a new kit of RAM and installing Windows 11 in dual boot, my CPU started to regularly drop its frequency to 0.547 Ghz without any reason that I could logically think of.

If I hadn't found this post, I think I would have gone crazy... I litterally spent the last few weeks wondering what BIOS setting or update, or worse, hardware failure was causing this issue. I was really not thinking it could be the icue update and it's a shame that Corsair is aware of this issue but haven't adressed it yet. 

My config is similar to a lot of yours :

Ryzen 3900X
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
64 GB Corsair Dominator 3600 CL16
RTX 3080
Asus Thor 1200W
Corsair H150i Pro XT
Corsair Commander Pro with 7 Corsair LL fans

Uninstalled and reinstalled icue 4.15.153 but it makes the RAM RGB freeze most of the time so I went back to icue 3 and disabled software lighting for the RAM. No issue so far.

• Like 1

Hi, I have the same issue like you guys. I have equip for $500 and icue is crashing my PC specially when I tab out of some games. New world for example is unplayable. I found out that it might have something to do with the sensor readers from the ICUe Software. Since I disabled the sensor readers after 2-3 restarts the systems runs stable. But next time Im shutting down my PC its back again and I have to restart 2-3 times before I get my PC stable again. I disabled the software and game integration  and all sensor read outs. Also disabled plugins. Before it was not possible to play some games and with others the PC freezed when I tabbed out of the game. I also have an AMD system and the problem occured around November. This is absolutly frustrating and of course corsair support wasnt helpful...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Built my PC this past weekend and had two crashes in the same day.

Have an iCUE H100i Elite Capellix and installed the iCUE software to swap out the colours.

System crashes by freezing everything except the mouse and the system goes back to the factory standard RGB. Ctrl+alt+del does nothing and while I can mouse over icons and highlight them, cannot click.

First build, spent several hours making sure everything was connected properly, found this thread [and another with the NZXT Cam software that's causing the exact same issue]. Has anyone used Open RGB instead of iCUE/Cam? 

[Uninstalled iCUE, hoping that ends the issue until corsair can finalize an update to fix it].

• Like 1

An update from my post of the 11th Jan.

I have moved from 4.10.273 which was stable and reached stability at 4.14.179. My machine has been up and stable for over 16 days with no crashes.  I have given up further for a while for a while.  

This is not perfect,  I have had problems with iCUE4 not showing the motherboard systems  such as GPU, CPU, Disks, Memory board information.  In particular If I want to control the fans from temperatures I had no temp measurements to reference.  

Thanks to this person there is a fix and yes I made a shortcut on the desktop.  I have also found it useful to restart 

I tend to also restart the iCUE Service  from settings, then run the program mentioned in the link - this brings everything back. The above link suggests that there is a problem with the order tasks are started.  and someone mentions this will be looked at.  

At one point my machine was running very hot even with my 10 fans at max.  It turned out that the Corsair service was pretty much running everything at max.  So good to know it didn't melt. The task manager showing CPU performance had everyone of the 24 graphs bouncing around at max utilisation.

I killed the process and used the restart iCUE Service and everything calmed down.

Also owing to the way Windows mandates its sleep mode operations I sometimes need to re-run the above program after the machine wakes up

When  I can summon the enthusiasm I will try out newer versions of the software.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, Treemower said:

An update from my post of the 11th Jan.

I have moved from 4.10.273 which was stable and reached stability at 4.14.179. My machine has been up and stable for over 16 days with no crashes.  I have given up further for a while for a while.  

This is not perfect,  I have had problems with iCUE4 not showing the motherboard systems  such as GPU, CPU, Disks, Memory board information.  In particular If I want to control the fans from temperatures I had no temp measurements to reference.  

Thanks to this person there is a fix and yes I made a shortcut on the desktop.  I have also found it useful to restart 

I tend to also restart the iCUE Service  from settings, then run the program mentioned in the link - this brings everything back. The above link suggests that there is a problem with the order tasks are started.  and someone mentions this will be looked at.  

At one point my machine was running very hot even with my 10 fans at max.  It turned out that the Corsair service was pretty much running everything at max.  So good to know it didn't melt. The task manager showing CPU performance had everyone of the 24 graphs bouncing around at max utilisation.

I killed the process and used the restart iCUE Service and everything calmed down.

Also owing to the way Windows mandates its sleep mode operations I sometimes need to re-run the above program after the machine wakes up

When  I can summon the enthusiasm I will try out newer versions of the software.

This is probably due to the certificate of that version being expired. I ran into the same issue with 4.15.153.

I ended up removing the signatures from Corsair.Service files as instructed via link. CPU package temps now report properly. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, djase said:

Hello,

Disabling the Corsair LLA service after doing the update, so far I haven't had any crashes or anything.

happy holidays 😀

Bro you are a SAVING GRACE!!!!! iCUE would completely destroy my CPU usage, and once I disabled the LLA Service it doesn't use more that 1.8% of CPU and that's the peak.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AceTheSamurai said:

Bro you are a SAVING GRACE!!!!! iCUE would completely destroy my CPU usage, and once I disabled the LLA Service it doesn't use more that 1.8% of CPU and that's the peak.

You are welcome 😀

On 12/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, djase said:

Hello,

Disabling the Corsair LLA service after doing the update, so far I haven't had any crashes or anything.

happy holidays 😀

Do you have any idea what the LLC service does (beside load down the CPU)? Have you noticed any all effects from disabling this service? Seems like iCue and Asus software in general start a bunch of services whose function is unknown. They must be doing something...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Corsair 1000D which comes with a Commander Pro. It worked once when I got build together years ago, did settings for fans and since then not been able to load ICUE on multi-versions.

I have just updated again to v4.20.169.... I give up! It beyond frustrating and useless. I need to re-adjust my 3x 140mm non LED Fans to improve rad temps. Corsairr keeps shutting down everytime you try run it even as administrator.

R9 5900X

X570 Aorus Master - F36

Corsair 1000D with Commander Pro with 3x 140mm Non-Led PWM Fans

Corsair 1200Axi

All Windows Drivers driver, Motherboard, GPU etc are upto date. I do not have HWinfo64 insalled as I believe there was a conflict with that. I do have Aida64 installed.

Logging Tickets with Corsair goes nowhere either.

I did Update the Firmware on the Commander Pro years ago.

Any Advice or trouble shooting would be appreciated.

Similar Problem here

Every time i played Cs Go my System Randomly got Blue Screens. Or the Game just crashed for no Reason . Every time my System Crashed and i took a look into the Event Manager i see that iCUE Crashed and tryed to restart shortly after that the System Crashed . I uninstalled iCUE and now it works perfectly fine . Sad that there is 0 Reponse from Corsairs side . I am running a full corsair Setup from Mouse , KEyboard , Headset , Headset Stand , AiO Ram , Fans , Mousepad and now i cant even Sync that stuff . 

Same here. 

Have had system lock ups and the profile would go from my custom to rainbow is the sign I knew the system was unstable and stutters.  Can't even restart through windows and was forced to do a hard reset.   System mainly locks up during idle.  Never seen it lock up while on full load but nonetheless, this is ridiculous.  Especially when my next system build I was planning on going with a full Corsair iCue ecosystem since I'm already using most to begin with but that idea will hold out till Corsair fixes this issue.

Since writing this post, all I did was disabled the iCue/Link4 from my taskbar and haven't had a single lock up since.  I average 2-3 lock ups a day since last year. 

My system is 8 years old (X99) and never had these kind of issues prior.  I wish I remembered the version of iCue I last had that was stable.

Hi I had this very same problem with  my machine it just started crashing (I did not make the connection with icue), the screen just froze and the light etc revert to the default setting. The only thing that could be done was switch off at the mains. The error seem random in nature, however I kind of think it was a hardware issue because of the nature of it taking everything down and there not being any trace in log files as to the cause. 

In investigating I set about removing each of my hardware devices and waiting till see if I got an error until there were only one left, the commander pro, the commander pro has two internal usb 2 socket and noticed that a light device I had plugged into on of these was not functioning. 

So this became my key culprit, I had issues with Commander pro in the past I, so decided to replace the unit to be honest this will be my fourth device and if I was not locked into using it for lighting / fans I would bin it in a heartbeat.

So the good news of replacing the Commander pro has fixed my issue, not had a crash since so it leads me to believe something in the pro was broken, The fact the 2 internal USB connector don't work also points to that.

So a happy ending for me even if I had to pay for it.

The version of iCue I am using is the same as when I had the crashes v4.20.169

The old Commander pro was about 2 years old. So maybe this related to the hardware failing or incompatible with the new release,

Just though I would share in case it helps someone else

My machine spec 

Asus Crosshair viii

AMD 5950x  processor

32Gb trident 3600 memory

2 x corsair light nodes

7 x QL 120 fans

NZXT Kraken x73 cooling system

Commander pro

Corsair k70 keyboard

Corsair AX860i power unit

Zotac 3090 trinity GPU