Corsair Community

H80i V2 Very High Pump Temp?

Hello, this is my first post, it will be a big one. I have the H80i V2 AIO cooler. It is a thick 120mm that features a stock push-pull configuration.

I tested two setups:

One as the default, using 1.) Corsair stock fans (~3000 max RPM) under the push-pull configuration.

The second setup, using 1 single 2.) Noctua pull (~3000RPM fan). As you can see from the data, there is no temperature change:

Here is a picture of the Corsair Link im talking about.

First off, I do not know even what sensor I am looking at. Whether it is the pump temp, or the liquid temp. Never the less, the problem is that the pump itself gets obscenely hot, it exceeds the 45C warning in the Link program and the Pump itself turns to RED :mad:, yet while everything else is fine in temps. I have tried different push-pull configurations but it does not seem to change. Is it defective?

1.) Corsair stock fans

2.) Noctua config

Can anybody think of why this is causing this? For anyone curious my GPU runs "cool" at max 76C at load. Here is a pic of my pc (excuse the bad cables management):

Here is my PC

3 in-take, 3 out-take. Currently the pic has only the 1 Noctua fan because I like the quieter setup since the fan temps are almost identical as seen in the data pastebins.

That is the coolant temperature, also commonly referred to as liquid temp or sometimes pump temp. The coolant temp is the baseline CPU temperature. At 40C and with zero voltage, your cpu will be 40C. The relationship between coolant temp to cpu temp is +1 = +1 and the same in reverse for cooling. Most people will have an idle coolant temp of +4-7C over the room temperature, but it varies with several factors involved, the most notable of which is local case temperature. If you have the radiator sitting over the gpu in the rear exhaust as most people do, it is going to March in sync with the increase to the local area temperature.

Outside of this the normal rise and fall of coolant is a watts in vs watts expelled calculation. However even with multiple radiators you are still bound by the local temp and a case with a 45C ambient temp will have a coolant temp of at least 45 as well. The default on the cooler is to pop red at 40C. This is a reasonably calculated number, but one based on having a relatively cool origin point somewhere near 20-23C. In reality most users are going to well above that to start and will want their own fan curves.

That is the coolant temperature, also commonly referred to as liquid temp or sometimes pump temp. The coolant temp is the baseline CPU temperature. At 40C and with zero voltage, your cpu will be 40C. The relationship between coolant temp to cpu temp is +1 = +1 and the same in reverse for cooling. Most people will have an idle coolant temp of +4-7C over the room temperature, but it varies with several factors involved, the most notable of which is local case temperature. If you have the radiator sitting over the gpu in the rear exhaust as most people do, it is going to March in sync with the increase to the local area temperature.

Outside of this the normal rise and fall of coolant is a watts in vs watts expelled calculation. However even with multiple radiators you are still bound by the local temp and a case with a 45C ambient temp will have a coolant temp of at least 45 as well. The default on the cooler is to pop red at 40C. This is a reasonably calculated number, but one based on having a relatively cool origin point somewhere near 20-23C. In reality most users are going to well above that to start and will want their own fan curves.

Thank you for that information c-attack.

So from what I understand then, is that this is completely normal and are recommending a fan curve adjustment?

This is my current config set to the default Performance:

fNaJziz.png

So would you recommend, instead of 40C at 100%, I use 35C at 100% instead under Custom config?

Like this: ?

loxEMx5.png

Thanks.

Edited by axelirant

For the most part, fan speed is user preference. Keeping the fans pinned under 1000 rpm at steady load will cost you, but the difference between 1800 and 2000 rpm is probably hard to see in terms of temperature but might be a clear difference in noise. Decreasing your coolant from 40 to 38 will only reduce cpu temps by 2C. Most people should make fan decisions based on noise levels.

You can set the baseline idle to whatever you like. No reason to try and overcome the ambient temperature. You probably do want to adjust the 40C=100% line. You may hit that more often than needed. All your curves are appropriate. You should simply make small tweaks where needed.

For the most part, fan speed is user preference. Keeping the fans pinned under 1000 rpm at steady load will cost you, but the difference between 1800 and 2000 rpm is probably hard to see in terms of temperature but might be a clear difference in noise. Decreasing your coolant from 40 to 38 will only reduce cpu temps by 2C. Most people should make fan decisions based on noise levels.

You can set the baseline idle to whatever you like. No reason to try and overcome the ambient temperature. You probably do want to adjust the 40C=100% line. You may hit that more often than needed. All your curves are appropriate. You should simply make small tweaks where needed.

Okay, I'll try to lower sound, but my case is placed in such a way that sound is not really significant for me so I think just max out the fans for component life but I'll try a lower curve to see if the heat is affected.

One last thing if you can help me. Under CorsairLink there is this FAN#2, that is not controllable by my motherboard BIOS but it seems to be linked to the Pump speed setting: Quiet and Performance (see photos below.) Can you tell me what this speed is ? 900 versus 1500 rpm? Yet the pump is 1800 and 3000.

yPOvlzP.jpg

C5Ou5ZQ.png

That generation of cooler will show a raw tachometer speed of 1/2 the actual pump speed. Fans and pumps count revolutions in different ways. The software adjusts for this, but the BIOS cannot. This is normal and there are several cooler models that always show 1/2 the actual value.