Corsair Community

Loud noises! New AIO push/pull set up with H150i pro xt

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm looking for some help. Hopefully I can be as descriptive as possible!

I've just set up a new configuration today using my H150i RGB pro XT AIO. It was originally mounted with 3 LL120s in the front of my Corsair 570x case with a push configuration only.

Today I decided since I had the leftover ML120s to put them to use and mount them on the inside of my radiator/case to make a push/pull set up.

However, as soon as I turned on the system, the three ML 120 Fans just spun at maximum speed (2400 RPM) incredibly loud. The 3 LL120s I have mounted on the front of the cooler were fine. I went into icue and the ML120s didn't show up. The 3 LLs in the front showed up. My bios also didn't show anything regarding the MLs but it showed the LLs as well.

Is there any way to control and lower the speed of my ML120s so they are not spinning at max rpm 24/7?

HW Monitor for some reason shows only 2/3 MLs I installed today, spinning at 2400-2500 RPM. (screenshot below, link #4)

My MB (Asus Prime z390-a) has 6 fan headers. The ML120s I put in today are in the CPU_OPT, AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+ headers. I have 3 more LL120s (total of 6) mounted on the top and rear of my case as well. The rear and top LL120s are in the CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, M.2_FAN headers. Finally, the 3 LL120s on my AIO are plugged into the Fan splitter that came with the cooler.

Any idea what could be wrong here? I apologize if the solution is obvious or if I sound ignorant/unclear, I've tried to troubleshoot to the best of my ability!! I have a feeling it has something to do with my fan pin header selection. If you need clarification, I will definitely try to do so

Here are some screenshots of my set up if you are interested (if you hate RGB I apologize in advance):

You can see the MLs on the inside, LLs on the outside

https://ibb.co/FYMDq1G

https://ibb.co/y48Gf0J

https://ibb.co/3N9zh3Y

https://ibb.co/pXQqDVH

Any and all advice is always appreciated!

Edited by Artczar
mobo name/clarification of ask

The ML120s I put in today are in the CPU_OPT, AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+ headers

This is the problem.

CPU-OPT is a copy of CPU fan on Asus boards. It is not individually controllable and does whatever CPU fan does. It may not show up as an individual fan in some programs.

AIO Pump and W_Pump were intended for their namesakes and to provide a full 12v signal to the pump motor. By default, fan control is disabled and it is locked at 100% and thus the jumbo jet like noise. On most Asus boards the 100% lock can be undone in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring section. However, often this makes CPU temp the only control option and that is far from desirable.

At a minimum, I think you want a few PWM two or three way splitters so you can get off some of these not so helpful MB headers, like AIO_Pump and OPT. However, I better fit might be a cheap PWM repeater hub. This has it's own power supply (SATA) and 1 control PWM header. You would connect that to one of the H150i splitters, then connect all of the front ML/LL fans to the hub. They will will all run the same speed and will be controllable through CUE without over-taxing the H150i Controller. It only puts out the PWM signal for 1 fan.

This is just one example of a PWM hub. There are multiple different kinds supporting from 4-10 fans. You do want one with an external power delivery (SATA) and preferably one that has a circuit board. Those 4-6 way daisy chain cables are usually trouble.

This is the problem.

CPU-OPT is a copy of CPU fan on Asus boards. It is not individually controllable and does whatever CPU fan does. It may not show up as an individual fan in some programs.

AIO Pump and W_Pump were intended for their namesakes and to provide a full 12v signal to the pump motor. By default, fan control is disabled and it is locked at 100% and thus the jumbo jet like noise. On most Asus boards the 100% lock can be undone in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring section. However, often this makes CPU temp the only control option and that is far from desirable.

At a minimum, I think you want a few PWM two or three way splitters so you can get off some of these not so helpful MB headers, like AIO_Pump and OPT. However, I better fit might be a cheap PWM repeater hub. This has it's own power supply (SATA) and 1 control PWM header. You would connect that to one of the H150i splitters, then connect all of the front ML/LL fans to the hub. They will will all run the same speed and will be controllable through CUE without over-taxing the H150i Controller. It only puts out the PWM signal for 1 fan.

This is just one example of a PWM hub. There are multiple different kinds supporting from 4-10 fans. You do want one with an external power delivery (SATA) and preferably one that has a circuit board. Those 4-6 way daisy chain cables are usually trouble.

Thank you so much for the amazing explanation. I would not of figured this out for the life of me lol. I will do exactly that and look for a splitter with a SATA power cable that fits this description. I'll take some time to look around and do more research on this. Thank you again!