Corsair Community

150i Pump orientation on top of CPU

1st_Tym_Builder

Hi all,

Have edited this request to be more to the point:

I'm trying to install my H150i RGB PRO XT pump on to my CPU but am finding it difficult to position it with the Corsair logo facing the correct direction.

I saw some posts saying it doesn't matter which way the logo goes but I called Corsair and they said you must install with the logo facing up.

As can be seen from the attached photos, the pump does just about fit with the logo the right way up but I'm holding it with some force here. When I release the pressure, the pump head naturally springs 90 degrees clockwise so that the top of the logo faces to the right. I think the side intake position is causing the issue.

Is this normal and is it fine to still screw the pump onto the CPU with logo facing up and let the screws hold the tension?

Do my tubes look fine or are the bends too sharp?

Thank you for any help

1072118041_01Pump_Upright_Angle01.thumb.jpg.7082c2fe2821497302f16f92c2c0f3fc.jpg

771168185_02Pump_Upright_Angle02.thumb.jpg.086e31afd495dc05f2a86fa95a5e32e8.jpg

1794904584_03Pump_Sideways.thumb.jpg.ac456f2fcf920dd13da86f91594fca52.jpg

Edited by 1st_Tym_Builder
question re-phrase, new pics

There is some potential to get bubbles trapped in the block with the tubes down. This can happen with them at the side as well, but the remedy is to lift the front. If this were to happen in the down position, you need to almost flip the case upside down. That’s ridiculous and you would instead take the AIO pump block off and manipulate the head to relieve it (run with the 24 pin jumper to keep flow going).

That said, you’ll hear the bubble making noise and this is not a “I broke my cooler” kind of thing. Tubes down can be an issue with the gpu and the backplate can easily run 50-70C. You don’t want them to touch.

An alternative might be side tubes, then take a Velcro tie and bind the hoses together close to the pump block end. That should shift the tension point on the line and potentially give you a different shape. I had a GPU hybrid cooler at one point and needed to make some tight turns. Never would have happened without two Velcro straps from my PSU kit.

That said, you’ll hear the bubble making noise and this is not a “I broke my cooler” kind of thing. Tubes down can be an issue with the gpu and the backplate can easily run 50-70C. You don’t want them to touch.

An alternative might be side tubes, then take a Velcro tie and bind the hoses together close to the pump block end. That should shift the tension point on the line and potentially give you a different shape. I had a GPU hybrid cooler at one point and needed to make some tight turns. Never would have happened without two Velcro straps from my PSU kit.

That's part of my issue. My GPU is vertically mounted as of recently, and with the tubes on the normal side position one of the tubes rests on the GPU backplate. If they were downward, there would be more room for them to drop down and around.

That's part of my issue. My GPU is vertically mounted as of recently, and with the tubes on the normal side position one of the tubes rests on the GPU backplate. If they were downward, there would be more room for them to drop down and around.

OK, then it may be worthwhile for you to do it that way. Otherwise you'll have to get creative and try to tie the hoses to some sort of retaining strap from the motherboard or through a grommet to pull it back away from the GPU.

OK, then it may be worthwhile for you to do it that way. Otherwise you'll have to get creative and try to tie the hoses to some sort of retaining strap from the motherboard or through a grommet to pull it back away from the GPU.

Thanks for the advice!

I'll see if I can figure out a way to ziptie them back before I resort to flipping the pump and see how it goes.

I'd gotten a 5800x right before I vertically mounted the GPU, and my CPU temps were pretty good. After I did the vertical mount, they went up by quite a bit. lol I was wondering why. Turned off PBO and reset everything to stock, but it still was happening.

Must be the tube touching the backplate, I didn't even really think about it. I was about to reseat my AIO and reapply thermal paste.

There is some potential to get bubbles trapped in the block with the tubes down. This can happen with them at the side as well, but the remedy is to lift the front. If this were to happen in the down position, you need to almost flip the case upside down. That’s ridiculous and you would instead take the AIO pump block off and manipulate the head to relieve it (run with the 24 pin jumper to keep flow going).

Thanks for this info - I've ended up just screwing the pump on the correct way. The common opinion amongst most people I asked was that needing to twist it into place is quite normal and the screws will hold it!

Why not top mounting?

For my setup I think the side intake would provide best thermals:

Intake:

Side H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Bottom 3 x 120 mm fans

Exhaust:

Rear 1 x 120mm fan

Bottom 3 x 120mm fan

I know there's been talk of it being "bad" to do tubes up but it's not realistically gonna damage my pump unless the pump is at the highest point in the loop!