Corsair Community

Important features needed

Piplos

The Very first thing you see on the screen on Corsairs iCue Website:

INTELLIGENT CONTROL, UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES

CORSAIR iCUE software connects all your compatible products together in a single interface, giving you complete control of everything from RGB lighting and effects to fan speeds and temperature monitoring.

I Don't have complete control of my RGB lighting, I have control most of the time, when the computer is in the right state.

Can you control the lighting? Yes.

Can you control the fans? Yes.

Can you monitor the temps? Yes.

You are adding your own assumptions in and filling in the blanks. You can try to file this as "deceptive advertising" with the FTC but a first year law student would easily be able to defend it.

You do realize that I fundamentally agree with you here, right? That it shouldn't go to rainbow mode on lock? But I won't agree that it's a bug or false advertising. It's a request for iCue to behave differently.

It doesn't, but that is a terrible analogy, Lock and Sleep are NORMAL day to day functions of a PC.

A car is not a normal function of a PC.

Not sleep, but lock definitely.

Start rendering a project that will take 4 hours? lock the PC and walk away, that's normal.

And even if the workstation is locked, fan curves still run in the background from the service, regardless of the lighting.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee

You can agree with me when I say that only a very small percentage of users who bought these Corsair products are registered in this forum.

Even if there's a small amount, in the previous post I showed you a very high amount of these registered users are complaining about this bug.

I am not even sure if I want to respond to your smart phone analogy... its a bit off since computer parts functions way differently from a smart phone.

But I will address your # users that are not happy with this default rainbow effect. CORSAIR has been known to listen to their customers for many years now. We've proven that in the last decade by releasing multiple product lines that are based on our customer's suggestions. We do value our customer's feedback whether it's positive or negative, we all take them into consideration and evaluate them for future implementation. So to be fair, you've got a valid point on this particular topic and like what I said on my previous post, I will pass this along to the right personnel so they can go over it and decide whether this feature will stay or not. Knowing how the process works, the team will have to evaluate this and determine if changing this feature will benefit the product or not. We'll just have to wait and see in the future if it's staying or not,

And I wouldn't call it a "bug" either, because it doesn't really cause any problems to any of the components when the rainbow effect kicks in. Saying that it is a bug or an issue is a bit of a stretch, a bit misleading if you ask me. I would call it a bug myself if It's a indeed a bug. But in this case.

Can you control the lighting? Yes.

Can you control the fans? Yes.

Can you monitor the temps? Yes.

Yes i can control all of those, but there is no way I have complete control, there are still multiple limitations

You are adding your own assumptions in and filling in the blanks. You can try to file this as "deceptive advertising" with the FTC but a first year law student would easily be able to defend it.

I never said i wanted to sue Corsair, but UK advertising laws are very different from the US and omitting key information is a bad false information, over here anyway

You do realize that I fundamentally agree with you here, right? That it shouldn't go to rainbow mode on lock? But I won't agree that it's a bug or false advertising. It's a request for iCue to behave differently.

And even if the workstation is locked, fan curves still run in the background from the service, regardless of the lighting.

I'm happy we are on the same page, and i'm glad fan curves are important enough to save to the hardware,

I am not even sure if I want to respond to your smart phone analogy... its a bit off since computer parts functions way differently from a smart phone.

But I will address your # users that are not happy with this default rainbow effect. CORSAIR has been known to listen to their customers for many years now. We've proven that in the last decade by releasing multiple product lines that are based on our customer's suggestions. We do value our customer's feedback whether it's positive or negative, we all take them into consideration and evaluate them for future implementation. So to be fair, you've got a valid point on this particular topic and like what I said on my previous post, I will pass this along to the right personnel so they can go over it and decide whether this feature will stay or not. Knowing how the process works, the team will have to evaluate this and determine if changing this feature will benefit the product or not. We'll just have to wait and see in the future if it's staying or not,

And I wouldn't call it a "bug" either, because it doesn't really cause any problems to any of the components when the rainbow effect kicks in. Saying that it is a bug or an issue is a bit of a stretch, a bit misleading if you ask me. I would call it a bug myself if It's a indeed a bug. But in this case.

If this was the intended operation, then no perhaps not a bug, but an "issue" is subjective and this is definitely an "issue" for some.

A warning somewhere on the marketing material would have been nice, as I wouldn't have purchased my Omega RGB case and a bunch of HD fans if i had of known about this behavior beforehand.

I Switched from NZXT lighting (which isn't perfect either) which didn't even have an option to "set for boot/lock screen" it was set, for all states of the PC (except off).

IMO Saving to hardware should be the default like it used to be with Corsairs Keyboard and Mice via link

I never said i wanted to sue Corsair, but UK advertising laws are very different from the US and omitting key information is a bad false information, over here anyway

By intimating that it's false advertising, you are making a legal accusation. My point is that Corsair's position is defensible in US courts ... and likely in the UK as well. Much of law revolves around the precise definition of terms, something that most humans are very loose with in conversation. Don't make such an accusation unless you are absolutely sure that it will hold up. If you aren't an attorney (or barrister), then don't do it.

I'm happy we are on the same page, and i'm glad fan curves are important enough to save to the hardware,

From an functionality perspective, we are.

I will also tell you that Corsair is one of the very few hardware companies that really, truly listens to their users and takes the feedback to heart. How many hardware companies have user forums? (Very few, sadly) And, of those companies, how many of them have actual employees that are responsible for defining the products reading and responding on those forums? (Far, far fewer ... most hardware companies seem to view forums as a place to let end users play without any direct engagement.)

Neither of those statements describe Corsair. The PMs for their products read - and sometimes respond to - these forums. They directly and actively engage with their community of users. For me, that is what sets Corsair apart from the rest of the vendors in this space and what has earned then (what some might call rabid) my loyalty. And they do actually take the feedback and roll it into future versions. It's not always as quickly as we'd like to see but that's because they have priorities and schedules and limited resources that all have to be balanced. As someone that's done development for some 25 years, I totally understand the difficulties of balancing those things. They also have a group of (volunteer) end users that they directly work with to provide feedback - the community Beta team - that I am truly honored and priveleged to be a part of. And, to be really honest, there are very few feature suggestions on the forum that we've not already provided.

TLDR: Feedback is actually welcomed by Corsair but keep the accusations balanced, m'Kay? Hyperbole doesn't help. And Corsair does actually listen and take feedback to heart.

Thank you, please keep us updated on the issue.

In the meanwhile, I invite everybody to join the list of the complains, so we can show Corsair that this is a serious issue to be considered and fixed in the next releases of iCUE.

Moreover, if you want to further help in the issue, you can also send a support ticket right to Corsair. More info about this are on the first post of this thread.

I am new to iCUE software but I also want to highlight some issues with the software and the products related to.

• I think that there are room to reduce CPU usage, since testing other applications such as CAM from NZXT consume considerably less. Even using no RGB products the service + iCUE consumes about 2-4%. I think the iCUE software (not the service) can reduce the CPU usage which would be a start to reducing the overall usage. I am programmer and I know that these things are hard to do, but I am hoping that this is possible.

• The default rainbow lightning is an issue, not a bug because it’s seems that this is intentional and programmed on this way. Nonetheless, I considered an issue mostly because it’s strange to me that corsair service is running on background, but the lightning profiles are only possible with iCUE running. It is the iCUE software that controls lightning and the service only for monitoring? Looking to the new WC series (I have h150i) they have “save static lightning to the device” feature, but this don’t work since without iCUE falls back to rainbow mode. I think that all manufactures must be aware that many people want to save their profiles on the hardware, in another words, onboard memory. Just a fun fact, to me is astounding that Razer Synapse drops onboard feature to some devices that actually works with version 2. To conclude I think to a least after Windows initialization the last profile could be running, which would solve the problem of locking the OS.

• On the matter of CPU usage, I notice that the Corsair Service is always writing on disk, which makes me remember that would be nice to have an option to disable hardware monitoring or at least reduce it. I am telling this because some users may not be interest on monitoring the CPU, RAM, disk etc., but only on lighting control or controlling the aspects of their devices. Personally, I use the corsair monitoring features, but some people don’t. I think that reducing the monitoring could also help on CPU usage, even addressing some complaints about hearing disk noises all the time.

• About version 3.6.109 I want to reinforce that I am also having issues with Windows not properly locking the device with the screen protector. Reading the forum, I saw some people complaining about this.

• Using CORSAIR LINK I had an option to check memory temperature on my Dominator Platinum, option that is missing on iCUE.

I am new to iCUE software but I also want to highlight some issues with the software and the products related to.

• I think that there are room to reduce CPU usage, since testing other applications such as CAM from NZXT consume considerably less. Even using no RGB products the service + iCUE consumes about 2-4%. I think the iCUE software (not the service) can reduce the CPU usage which would be a start to reducing the overall usage. I am programmer and I know that these things are hard to do, but I am hoping that this is possible.

• The default rainbow lightning is an issue, not a bug because it’s seems that this is intentional and programmed on this way. Nonetheless, I considered an issue mostly because it’s strange to me that corsair service is running on background, but the lightning profiles are only possible with iCUE running. It is the iCUE software that controls lightning and the service only for monitoring? Looking to the new WC series (I have h150i) they have “save static lightning to the device” feature, but this don’t work since without iCUE falls back to rainbow mode. I think that all manufactures must be aware that many people want to save their profiles on the hardware, in another words, onboard memory. Just a fun fact, to me is astounding that Razer Synapse drops onboard feature to some devices that actually works with version 2. To conclude I think to a least after Windows initialization the last profile could be running, which would solve the problem of locking the OS.

• On the matter of CPU usage, I notice that the Corsair Service is always writing on disk, which makes me remember that would be nice to have an option to disable hardware monitoring or at least reduce it. I am telling this because some users may not be interest on monitoring the CPU, RAM, disk etc., but only on lighting control or controlling the aspects of their devices. Personally, I use the corsair monitoring features, but some people don’t. I think that reducing the monitoring could also help on CPU usage, even addressing some complaints about hearing disk noises all the time.

• About version 3.6.109 I want to reinforce that I am also having issues with Windows not properly locking the device with the screen protector. Reading the forum, I saw some people complaining about this.

• Using CORSAIR LINK I had an option to check memory temperature on my Dominator Platinum, option that is missing on iCUE.

I completely agree with this post. Thanks, I've added you to the list.

Other manufacturers save the lighting profiles in their HW controller. Also Corsair has their own controllers like LNP or Commander Pro, but profiles appear not to be saved in them. WTF.

Why is there no "pause iCUE" setting somewhere? It would be really useful a thing which immediately put all devices to a "default profile" and stops all the iCUE processes and services to 0% CPU. I absolutely need this feature when I need to use CPU-intensive applications or games and I need to kick-out unneeded processes, but iCUE keeps restarting and when I finally manage to kick everything out a crappy distracting rainbow effect appears.

Also, there is still no "default profile" feature which kicks in when the computer is starting or is in a locked state. I'm really tired of that rainbow animation when iCUE is not connected to the LNP. When is this feature coming? In the very first versions of iCUE I remember all the leds were used to simply shut down and I preferred this behavior to the rainbow.

PLEASE. I'M REALLY SICK OF THE RAINBOW EFFECT.

[EDIT] I'm posting a quick list of users who also complained about the rainbow effect issue:

This can be called a bug or an usability problem, but this actually IS a serious issue and it can be seen that a lot of users are demanding for an appropriate fix.

Like I did, you can also try to help to solve the issue by opening a support ticket like this:

You can add me to the list of people who would like to be able to control what lighting effect(s) are in effect when the computer is locked, or booting up, etc.

Seems like this ought to be very easy for the iCUE devs to support. At the very least, it should default to whatever the user has currently running for all devices instead of just assuming we want to have the rainbow effect.

You can add me to the list of people who would like to be able to control what lighting effect(s) are in effect when the computer is locked, or booting up, etc.

Seems like this ought to be very easy for the iCUE devs to support. At the very least, it should default to whatever the user has currently running for all devices instead of just assuming we want to have the rainbow effect.

count me in too

Thank you for helping, I've added you to the list :)

While I don't HATE the rainbow effect (I even made a custom rainbow profile for shhs and giggles which I use sometimes), I still believe that it should be possible to customize the fans and LED strips to display a static color of choice when not connected to iCUE (just as I remember being possible in LINK, and just as it is still possible with the keyboards and mice and water pumps in iCUE). And no, this is not a bug. It's a flawed design choice at worst. I work in PC hardware retail and it's actually useful to be able to showcase all the RGB colors and patterns with this built-in demo mode without needing any hardware besides the case, fans, LED strips, and a shorted PSU. But for personal use, disabling the demo mode should really be an option. Even without the custom static color, just the choice between "demo mode without iCUE" and "lighting off without iCUE" would be great.

TL;DR: rainbow mode is neither a bug nor literally Hitler, but still add me to the list

While I don't HATE the rainbow effect (I even made a custom rainbow profile for shhs and giggles which I use sometimes), I still believe that it should be possible to customize the fans and LED strips to display a static color of choice when not connected to iCUE (just as I remember being possible in LINK, and just as it is still possible with the keyboards and mice and water pumps in iCUE). And no, this is not a bug. It's a flawed design choice at worst. I work in PC hardware retail and it's actually useful to be able to showcase all the RGB colors and patterns with this built-in demo mode without needing any hardware besides the case, fans, LED strips, and a shorted PSU. But for personal use, disabling the demo mode should really be an option. Even without the custom static color, just the choice between "demo mode without iCUE" and "lighting off without iCUE" would be great.

TL;DR: rainbow mode is neither a bug nor literally Hitler, but still add me to the list

Thank you. I bought 3x LL120 and 4 LED strips and I'm using them adequately with my custom profiles. Rainbow effect is way too bright on this setup, when it kicks in for some reason it really bugs me.

I've lurked this forum for a while, and finally created a profile for the sole purpose of expressing my dislike of the rainbow effect when starting up or shutting down. Add me to the list please.

This is a deal breaker considering Link v4 doesn't exhibit this behavior. iCUE is amazing otherwise, its really disappointing that a default feature isn't implemented.

I totally know where you guys are coming from, but when I said that rainbow default lighting profile doesn't really bother "A good amount of people" I'm referring to thousands of Commander PRO, LNP, HD fans, LL fans verified owners that either love it or couldn't careless that their system defaults to rainbow when exiting iCUE.

But, how many of those people are going to find this forum and create a profile or a trouble ticket to express their dislike? You cannot consider silence as approval. That's ridiculous.

But, how many of those people are going to find this forum and create a profile or a trouble ticket to express their dislike? You cannot consider silence as approval. That's ridiculous.

Exactly my thought. Only very few users would waste their time subscribing to this forum or going through a complicated procedure to open a ticket in order to express their feeling about this really bad behavior.

And by the way believe me, it's really HARD to open a ticket to Corsair. It makes me think it has been created this way to discourage the users to finish the procedure. Just try it to realize this by yourself. It's a shame.

Hey Corsair, the list is still constantly increasing. Do you think 19 complains are enough for you or you just want to wait and see the list further increasing every day?

And by the way believe me, it's really HARD to open a ticket to Corsair. It makes me think it has been created this way to discourage the users to finish the procedure. Just try it to realize this by yourself. It's a shame.

Gotta disagree.. RMA'd my k95p last week... creating the ticket was no issue and I had my replacement keyboard 7 days later.. the whole process was straight forward. Just a matter of reading it and following the instructions..

I didn't find the ticket creation process all that easy or intuitive. ASUS' wasn't all that much better. EVGA is awesome in this regard.

Support ticket creation aside, has anyone that has managed to create one get this same response?

Many issues with Corsair Utility Engine can be solved by performing a clean reinstall of the software. This is a little different from just uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Please perform the steps below:

- Please make sure to install all updates for Windows.

- Uninstall the CUE software.

Please locate your Appdata folder, and delete the 2 Corsair folders in the Local and Roaming folder.

- Run CCleaner: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

- Run CCleaner's Registry Cleaner

- Restart your computer

- Reinstall CUE.

To me this seems like a generic response, and a complete shame to shuffle someone through all these steps if iCUE is functioning as intended with regards to the rainbow default nonsense when starting up, shutting down and locking windows. I haven't read anything to the contrary. Accessing hidden folders (Appdata) and using 3rd party cleaner programs seems like a giant run-around.

The only interesting thing is that Link v4 doesn't do the rainbow default thing.

Support ticket creation aside, has anyone that has managed to create one get this same response?

I opened a ticket about a month ago as in the first post and I was answered this:

Hello,

Currently this is the default lighting effect of our products when in idle. I will bring this issue to our development department to fix your issue.

Thank you for choosing Corsair.

I still wonder if they are working on it and what is the progress, in case.

I think it would help if many users send other tickets about this issue.

That's kind of my point. If its functioning as intended, why give me a list of things to do knowing that it won't help?

Sadly, going back to Link v4 fixed the rainbow nonsense. I like iCUE, but with 6 fans and LED strips full on rainbow mode is a little much.

• Corsair Employee

It has and still is being worked on. I can elaborate why its taking so long:

1.) We are not reusing LINK lighting patterns to save to the device due to the newer options of iCUE. We have to translate instead all of the lighting patterns from scratch to ensure the devices can use them as "hardware mode" for all of our strips and fans.

2.) We are working to add LL fans for hardware effects, something LINK couldn't do and is a new enhancement to better serve all your needs.

3.) We are not going to allow this to be toggleable per fan due to the hardware limitations. What we are going to do is you can select an effect and have it play all over your strips and fans as one effect overall (i.e., Wave will play over X number fans, X being the fans you designated in Lighting Setup). You cannot do Wave on Fan 1, Rainbow on Fan 2, etc. anymore. However, since software opened up a plethora of new effects, we felt this was a good compromise.

4.) This is currently still in development and undergoing massive testing since its all new code for this feature. I understand a lot of you are awaiting for this feature and I have not ignored it, but it will take some time to implement this in addition to all of our other features and enhancements. As you can see from the patch notes, iCUE is a massive beast that has many moving parts.

3.) We are not going to allow this to be toggleable per fan due to the hardware limitations. What we are going to do is you can select an effect and have it play all over your strips and fans as one effect overall (i.e., Wave will play over X number fans, X being the fans you designated in Lighting Setup). You cannot do Wave on Fan 1, Rainbow on Fan 2, etc. anymore. However, since software opened up a plethora of new effects, we felt this was a good compromise.

Thank you for the update! Very much appreciated :biggrin:

Does point 3 mean we would lose that functionality all of the time, or just in "hardware mode"?

1.) We are not reusing LINK lighting patterns to save to the device due to the newer options of iCUE. We have to translate instead all of the lighting patterns from scratch to ensure the devices can use them as "hardware mode" for all of our strips and fans.

2.) We are working to add LL fans for hardware effects, something LINK couldn't do and is a new enhancement to better serve all your needs.

4.) This is currently still in development and undergoing massive testing since its all new code for this feature. I understand a lot of you are awaiting for this feature and I have not ignored it, but it will take some time to implement this in addition to all of our other features and enhancements. As you can see from the patch notes, iCUE is a massive beast that has many moving parts.

That's great. I'm waiting for the next big update. I hope there will be some code optimization as well, iCUE takes a lot of CPU

• 3 weeks later...

Corsair James,

I can not wait for this feature, is it possible to have a firmware that we can manually flash for the lighting node pro and the commander pro that can disable all leds for demo mode?

Perhaps a sticky with 7-10 firmwares of just different static colors will make lots of users happy and be a fantastic temp solution

I just dumped a good chunk of money on 3xLL120, 8X led strip, 3XLL140, Commander pro and was really hoping to perfect my setup, but my lights being on when I lock my PC messes that up a lot

• 2 weeks later...

Archived