Corsair Community

Wonkyness with Corsair Lighting Node Pro & SP120 Fans

whuber97

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But for what? A case or LNP ;). Please be advised, that these 3 faulty fans are from crystal case. I dont think I could rma these fans only.

Anyway. I will compare a static effect from LNP and rubbish controller from a case. For me it looks like there are some pulses missing (not all control packets goes to fans).

That's how it looks right now [ame=

]
[/ame]

But for what? A case or LNP ;). Please be advised, that these 3 faulty fans are from crystal case. I dont think I could rma these fans only.

Start the RMA for the whole case and say it's just the fans that are faulty.

With a bit of luck they will just send you 3 working fans and you won't even need to return the faulty ones.

Interesting stuff guys, nice detective work.

I've gotten the attention of Brian in Corsair support. I created this video, which shows my issue: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgU5kl-QvwZmgqBNwuQOF6_AoUbocg

A replacement LNP is already on the way - and Corsair are replacing everything else in the setup - the 6 SP120 fans (3 from the case, 3 I purchased separately as individual units), the RGB hub from the case, and they want me to ship my units back to them so they can test them.

I'm curious if I set this up with just the 3 fans I purchased separately, and not the ones from the Crystal RGB case, if it works as expected. I haven't tried that. I'll do it later on today and get back to you.

At least we've got their attention, they are aware that there is clearly an issue, and they are now actively taking steps to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks all,

Will

My SP fans are nothing like yours and it will be interesting to see what happened when you connect the 3 additional fans to ports 1 + 2 + 3 of the hub.

Is CL 4.7.0.77 double reporting motherboard fans? It's hard to see of the video, can you post the CL4 [Home] tab + the SIV [Cooling Status] panel?

I've gotten the attention of Brian in Corsair support. I created this video, which shows my issue: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgU5kl-QvwZmgqBNwuQOF6_AoUbocg

As you saw my video, the overall effect is exactly the same.

Please try your separatelly purchased fans to connect to the first port on a hub. If it works, try another. If you test 3 of them, and all will work on first port, leave one in it, and connect another fan to port 2. The same procedure with 3rd one.

The problem appears to be with the 3 fans that came with the Crystal 460x RGB case. Currently I have the 3 separately purchased SP120 fans wired up to ports 1, 2, and 3 of the fan hub, and they are working as expected. Trying now to determine if it's just 1 of the 3 SP120s that came with the case that is causing the problem, or if they are all problematic.

Will get back once I've finished my testing later this afternoon and will post another video.

Trying now to determine if it's just 1 of the 3 SP120s that came with the case that is causing the problem, or if they are all problematic.

It's good to know, that we have similar results.

I've tested case fans, tried to connect each of them to port 1 and all free are faulty. So I'm rather sure that for cases, Corsair uses a worse quality (more problematic fans).

I'm wondering if someone from Corsair reads this topic ;).

I suspect the SP RGB fans that come with the cases must be early revisions that have issues and the SP RGB fans that work are a later revision that have been fixed. I don't know what the difference is or if it would be possible to adjust/frig the LNP firmware to make them both work, only Corsair could know this.

I will be interested to know hear Corsair have to say.

The problem is definitely all three of the SP120 fans that came with the Crystal 460x RGB case. Below is a link to another video.

The video starts off with just 3 fans connected to the LNP via the fan hub. The top fan in the front (one of the originals from the case) is connected to port 1, and the 2 illuminated fans in the rear are connected to ports 2 and 3 (these are ones I purchased separately). You'll notice at the beginning the weird flickering behavior on all 3 fans.

Then I unplug the fan in the front and replace port 1 with the 3rd fan in the back, and the 3 fans in the back immediately start working normally.

Then I attach the 3 fans in the front to ports 4, 5, and 6, and the three fans in the front flicker but the ones in the back continue to do so.

Here's where it gets weird. I then unplug the fan in the rear that is connected to port 1 and replace that with one of the fans in the front, and it causes all of the fans to flicker.

This happens no matter which fan in the front is connected. So basically the front fans (purchased with the Crystal 460x RGB case) never work right when connected to the LNP, and the rear ones do (purchased separately), AS LONG AS they are connected to a lower port number on the RGB fan hub than the ones in the front. If they are connected to the RGB fan hub in a port higher than the front fans, all fans flicker.

Here is the video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgU5kl-QvwZmgqBXP4CZkKFjr5K5Gg

I suspect Corsair will replace the 3 fans that came with my case.

If anyone wants to refer to my case # when creating a case of their own, it is ticket # 6922867.

Fans have 4 pins. +5V, signal in, signal out, gnd. That is why the order of connecting tha fan matters. I'm almost sure, that fans from the case disrupt the 400 kHz signal. It seems that not entire command (steering signal) is reaching the last fan. I will try to RMA the fans, nothing to loose.

Hi Guys. Great to see this sort of engangement.

I also tested my fans yesterday and i also had a solution.

The 3 SP120 i bought seperatly from the case work just fine on the controller and do exact that what LNP says to them. The 3 Stock Fans from the 570x Case just flicker wild. I tried different Ports and combinations but no solution at all.

Yesterday i opened a RMA by Corsair and i hope they soon answer me. I also linked them the link to this thread. Ill reply if i get an answer.

The 3 SP120 i bought seperatly from the case work just fine on the controller and do exact that what LNP says to them. The 3 Stock Fans from the 570x Case just flicker wild. I tried different Ports and combinations but no solution at all.

Yesterday i opened a RMA by Corsair and i hope they soon answer me. I also linked them the link to this thread. Ill reply if i get an answer.

This is the exact same behavior I am seeing with the fans that came with the 460x case. The fans appear to be identical in every way, which is interesting. Same part numbers, same cables, same everything. Definitely interesting indeed.

I am also working on getting a 570X case working with 6 sp rgb fans but after a hard day of testing and anger I have results. The case fans that come with case do not work with the lnp. I have no clue as to why because they work with the normal sp controller. I purchased three sp fans when I bought my case about a month ago and those three fans when in the 1-3 slots on the hub work as expected with the lnp. Going to go get three more from the store today and will update this forum on the results. Hopefully it works as I don't want to buy 6 hd fans >.>

So this thread is now 5 pages long, filling up with more and more people discovering that SP series fans sold with a case seem to not work with the LNP whereas the supposedly same fans purchased separately seem to work. This is very interesting.

What is even more interesting is the COMPLETE lack of response from Corsair on this matter. Where oh where is Corsair CJ or Technobeard?? I know they are lurking about because I keep noticing posts getting deleted...

SP 120 fans that end in 059, aka the ones that come with case DO NOT work with lnp.

SP 120 fans that end in 061, aka the ones that you buy at the store DO work with lnp.

Not true. My SP120 which has xx059 part number works. Only cases from the fan don't.

Anyway, Corsair approved RMA. Fans must be sent to Netherlands for replacement.

• Administrators
What is even more interesting is the COMPLETE lack of response from Corsair on this matter. Where oh where is Corsair CJ or Technobeard?? I know they are lurking about because I keep noticing posts getting deleted...

1. I have notified the relevant department about this thread.

2. I'm not in tech support, and I've never used Link products, so...

attachment.php?attachmentid=29143

bunny.jpg.d551c1843e45764cb0e9bfaeaf24b020.jpg

Wow. A response from Corsair!!!!! Customers are suffering through trying to diagnose what appears to be defective fans sold to them as part of a case and the long awaited response from the manufacturer is..... a cute little bunny with a pancake on its head!!

I don't know how to respond to this so I'll just say WOW. I am sure all the Corsair customers spending hours trouble shooting defective fans unloaded into the market pre-installed in their new Corsair cases really find that pancake bunny hilarious. How about it guys and gals. Want to take a break from ripping your hair out trying to get your fan LEDs working to giggle at the cute bunny? It's just so funny that you won't even care that Corsair seems to be unloading defective product by installing them in new cases and then selling them to unsuspecting customers. Who cares!! That bunny is just so funny - its all good.

Edit to add - Thank you for notifying the responsible parties at Corsair. We will be anxiously awaiting their response.

• Administrators
And why was truedoc banned? :O :O
See the edit note below his post. It's pretty hard to get banned here, but he accomplished it.

Wow. A response from Corsair!!!!! Customers are suffering through trying to diagnose what appears to be defective fans sold to them as part of a case and the long awaited response from the manufacturer is..... a cute little bunny with a pancake on its head!!

I don't know how to respond to this so I'll just say WOW. I am sure all the Corsair customers spending hours trouble shooting defective fans unloaded into the market pre-installed in their new Corsair cases really find that pancake bunny hilarious. How about it guys and gals. Want to take a break from ripping your hair out trying to get your fan LEDs working to giggle at the cute bunny? It's just so funny that you won't even care that Corsair seems to be unloading defective product by installing them in new cases and then selling them to unsuspecting customers. Who cares!! That bunny is just so funny - its all good.

Edit to add - Thank you for notifying the responsible parties at Corsair. We will be anxiously awaiting their response.

I am responding directly to this thread because you asked me to. As I mentioned, this is not in my wheel house. The bunny solidifies this. Please do not pick on Oolong.

I did what I could and notified the responsible parties. I don't know what they know, so I don't know if they were aware of this thread, or this issue. If they weren't, they are now. You should absolutely have products that work as intended. I personally don't know if the case fans should or should not be compatible. I suspect they should be - but again, not my field of expertise. I'll let the appropriate people answer that.

• Corsair Employee

We're watching the thread and working to verify if the issue is indeed tied to the SP RGB fans that shipped with the Crystal Series 460X (as has been noted by users that have reported that our TS team are requesting the original fans for testing).

If it is indeed an issue with the included SP RGB fans, we need to pinpoint which batches might have this issue since the cases I've tested personally have not shown this behavior.

Archived