Corsair Community

Corsair ONE Pro Performance tweaks BEFORE overclocking matter a lot!

RC_ONE

I've run a number of benchmarks and other tests, so this is just a sampling of my earlier tests to make a point.

Windows Performance settings matter a lot. Updating the video driver matters a lot. Some folks may see this as common sense, but many don't really understand the performance benefits...so here's a concrete example where you can see the bump in performance benchmarks with each step.

There are real-world framerate/performance benefits during gameplay too, and they can be noticeable. There are plenty more performance tweaks you can make. I didn't even overclock here and bumped my Time Spy score by 216 points. This was part of my testing to establish a performance baseline before overclocking. Remember to look at the difference in the GPU/CPU details, not just the aggregate score.

These tweaks didn't impact CPU or GPU heat/temps the way overclocking does.

Using the FREE 3D Mark TimeSpy Benchmark "Basic Edition":

Corsair One Pro out of the box (CS-9000009-NA) Intel i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Nvidia 1080Ti. Score: 8497

attachment.php?attachmentid=31603&stc=1&d=1511620691

Corsair One Pro: Score 8684 (IMG below)

Windows 10 Power Configuration set to High Performance

attachment.php?attachmentid=31604&stc=1&d=1511620835

Corsair One Pro: Score 8675 (IMG Below)

Win 10 Power Configuration Set to High Performance

Nvidia GPU driver package update to 387.92 (.drv ver 388.13)

attachment.php?attachmentid=31606&stc=1&d=1511621322

Corsair One Pro: Score 8713 (IMG Below)

Win 10 Power Configuration Set to High Performance

Nvidia GPU driver package update to 387.92 (.drv ver 388.13)

G-Sync enabled (3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz without refresh rate limiter)

attachment.php?attachmentid=31607&d=1511621781

3DmarkTest1NEWC1NoTurboNoUpdates.thumb.PNG.5ed8908a1391db76c87be6ee6bf7f64c.PNG

3DmarkTest1NEWC1NoTurboNoUpdatesWindowsPerfHigh.thumb.PNG.d7496c4d397e4dea3c7ec472df26c486.PNG

3DmarkTest1NEWC1NoTurboNoUpdatesWindowsPerfHighNvidiaUpdated.thumb.PNG.7879ef70b6dc60a901b366af2803c6d9.PNG

3DmarkTest1NEWC1NoTurboNoUpdatesWindowsPerfHighNvidiaUpdatedGsync.thumb.PNG.0e9aa960c7469aee39fae7f9160d64be.PNG

What exactly did you tweak and how?

Each image has text above it that references what I did incrementally.

They are simple tasks such as "updated video driver" or "set Windows 10 power profile to high performance"

These are system level tweaks. I didn't engage in more specific tweaking until after these were all performed, for example, graphics driver settings tweaks.

All of the above have thousands of how-to's that are easily found. I'm only making the point that:

A) Prior to overclocking these system level type tweaks are effective.

B) These system level type tweaks should be done prior to overclocking in order to get a proper performance baseline.

...because many people jump into overclocking, then along the way they update a setting or driver, and mistake their greater than expected performance gains for something they did only as a result of overclocking.

Then they post about it, and create unrealistic expectations by other overclockers who don't realize it's a combination of system tweaking and overclocking that got the reportedly exceptional performance benefits.

Also, some people who don't want to overclock their systems, or are sensitive to system heat issues, can benefit from understanding that system, configuration, and driver tweaking can gain them performance benefits without overclocking or increasing system temps.

You made the decision to overclock your PC.

How are you doing this? Are you optimizing video graphics algorithms so they compress and produce less heat?

Are you adding more RAM to your gameplay or tool, Time Spy (which is unknown to me)?

Or are you augmenting the hardware layer of your setup. (liquid cooling or state of the art CPU/GPU paste).

Please be more specific, it looks interesting to me.

You made the decision to overclock your PC.

How are you doing this? Are you optimizing video graphics algorithms so they compress and produce less heat?

Are you adding more RAM to your gameplay or tool, Time Spy (which is unknown to me)?

Or are you augmenting the hardware layer of your setup. (liquid cooling or state of the art CPU/GPU paste).

Please be more specific, it looks interesting to me.

Time Spy is the name of the benchmark test in 3D Mark, a Benchmarking software. http://www.3dmark.com

For the purpose of this discussion, I used the BIOS settings to Overclock the CPU. There's a feature in the BIOS called "Game Boost" that comes with this PC (Corsair One Pro) which changes some settings in the BIOS and enables a small overclock for better performance. There are options to further overclock the system for those who know what they're doing.

The Corsair One Pro comes shipped from the factory with liquid cooling on the CPU and GPU.

RC_ONE, what were your CPU temps before and after Game Boost?

And out of curiosity, what is your SSD temp (I assume you have the M.2).

My SSD can idle in the mid 50s at times...never really gets lower than the low 50s...that's why I'm hesitant to overclock...

My CPU temps are in the low 40s at idle...

RC_ONE, what were your CPU temps before and after Game Boost?

And out of curiosity, what is your SSD temp (I assume you have the M.2).

My SSD can idle in the mid 50s at times...never really gets lower than the low 50s...that's why I'm hesitant to overclock...

My CPU temps are in the low 40s at idle...

Without overclocking, the M.2 idles between 54 and 56c. I didn't pay much attention to the M.2 temps while testing. If I have time, I'll see about re-running some tests. (The thumbdrive I was using to store testing info was accidentally broken this weekend by a house guest while it was plugged into my Chromebook...drop...smash...no more thumbdrive or Chromebook...*sigh*)

However, I don't have the impression that moderate overclocking of the CPU or GPU will have any significant effect on the M.2 drive.

Archived