Corsair Community

HD140 + SP120 PRO on controller

Vini Rust

Hi guys, dumb one here!

I couldn't understand Zotty's FAQ so I'll post it here:

My parts just got here, and I didn't paid attetion before choosing them, so turns out I can't turn the SP120 RGB on without a Corsair hub, therefore, I'm about to buy the HD140 Twin kit with the RGB hub, will I be able to make it work? If so, will it be recognized by the iCUE software? I don't really care about software implemantation since I'll set it to static colors, mainly one being yellow to match my KB, and black, gray yellow Batman theme. I also am using the stock fan that comes with the case, only exhaust setup, and with the HD140, either I'll give the stock fan to a friend or either I'll place it back in the front, where it came pre-installed.

The HD multipack comes with an RGB Fan Hub and a push-button controller. So - no software control.

As long as you have SP-PRO and not the original SP-RGB, you'll be able to make it work. Note that the SP-PRO multipacks come with a Lighting Node Core so you don't need a fan hub if you have that.

The HD multipack comes with an RGB Fan Hub and a push-button controller. So - no software control.

As long as you have SP-PRO and not the original SP-RGB, you'll be able to make it work. Note that the SP-PRO multipacks come with a Lighting Node Core so you don't need a fan hub if you have that.

So, HD140 hub is different from the one that allows iCUE software integration?

That explains the "low" price here on Brazil, thanks man.

No, a Fan Hub is a Fan Hub is a Fan Hub. They are all the same.

However, for software integration, you need a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro with the fan Hub. The ML and LL Fan multipacks come with a Lighting Node Pro. QL and SP-PRO come with a Lighting Node Core.

The Fan Hub itself is an incredibly simple, dumb device with some traces and a capacitor. It's the LNP or CP that provides the software control.

The Lighting Node Core combines a fan hub and single channel Lighting Node Pro into a single device.

That is an LL "twin pack" or multi-pack (2x140). It will come with a Lighting Node pro and the RGB Lighting Hub you need for power. That works. The HD's were the original release before all this and had the simple push button controller like the prior generation of the RGB gear -- but no software controller. Lighting Node Pro devices have 2 RGB channels that can be used for fans, strips, or Hydro X hardware. The RGB Lighting Hub plugs into channel 1 and channel 2 will be available.

However, as mentioned above it is critical you have a SP-PRO (8 LEDs) and not a SP-RGB (4 LEDs). The original SP-RGB is an oddity and can't go with other fan types.

If you mix different fan types on the same controller it skews the per fan effects. It works by generating LEDs in fixed intervals based on the fan type. So 3 SP-Pro fans would go 8-8-8. With 2 x LL and 1 SP-Pro you will need to list the Lighting Set-up as "LL fans x 3". That will generate 16-16-16 or enough to cover the 16-16-8 set up you really have. For static or non-moving effects, this will work fine. Patterns that jump from one fan to the next will be off in their timing.

That is an LL "twin pack" or multi-pack (2x140). It will come with a Lighting Node pro and the RGB Lighting Hub you n
eed for power. That works.

How many fans can I attach to the hub? I will have 4 in total. The 2 LL140 will be top exhaust, the SP120 PRO will be rear exhaust (there's no LL120 available in Brazil, at all), and the fan that comes with the case will be placed back in the front (but this one doesn't matter, since it uses standard RGB 12v 4-pin connector). Btw, the front one will not have much use, since I didn't remove the front plastic seals because I live close to the beach, so I don't want that kind of air being pushed inside my rig, let it flow passively.

Man, really thanks for all the support, I was lost when I discovered this storm of RGB information.

Edited by Vini Rust

Each RGB hub (or Core device) has 6 ports and native support for that number. However, your 12v RGB fan can’t go on the 5v Corsair lighting. That one has to go to the motherboard 4 pin 12v RGB header.

One last thing (already bought the LL140 twin, should arrive till Saturday), will a QL120 work with the 2 LL140 and the SP120 PRO on the same hub? There's no LL120 available in Brazil, only 140s, and the only others Corsair RGB options are the SP120 and QL120. I wanna use the QL on the back exhaust, since that is the most visible place on the 175R case, and the SP120 doesn't have ring LEDs, which I most like. The final result would be the QL120 on the rear exhaust, the 2 LL140 on top exhaust and the SP120 PRO in front to light up the Corsair logo on the case. If would be turned on like an intake fan, but since the front air entrances are sealed, I don't think it would matter much.

Edited by Vini Rust

The QL are tricky. They have 34 LEDs, but essentially act like a double sided LL, with a duplicated front/back lighting scheme. If you set it as "LL fans x 5", that should cover that arrangement for static colors. If you want to do anything besides that it gets very compromised, but theoretically it should run the last 2 LL effects - 1 of each side.

The QL are tricky. They have 34 LEDs, but essentially act like a double sided LL, with a duplicated front/back lighting scheme. If you set it as "LL fans x 5", that should cover that arrangement for static colors. If you want to do anything besides that it gets very compromised, but theoretically it should run the last 2 LL effects - 1 of each side.

Thanks! Sadly, when I was going to buy it, it sold out, what a lucky guy am I, huh?

Edited by Vini Rust