Corsair Community

Two M90 prblems - likely need an RMA

Deltrus

Please tell me you guys are working on a revision for this mouse, because I love everything about it except for the shutting down/static discharge issue. >_< Just had it shut off, but only partially. Lights were all on, and I could click with the scroll wheel, but not move the mouse at all. O.o

• Corsair Employee
The mouse still has static discharge? Contact customer service and provide them with your old RMA number. Let them know the mouse is bad and you want Tech support to test it. Once I get it, I'll put it through its hoops before sending it out to you.

Yeah, I mean I have a wood desk (which came with some kind of black coating, but I doubt that would affect how the mouse is grounded to the desk, and I do not use a mousepad) and while I have a carpet, I'd think I shouldn't be worried about touching the mouse as I sit down, and causing the problem.

On occasion though, it will randomly shut off during gaming and what-not, without coming back, or the lights will still be on but it won't be responding to movement/clicking. :(

Should I just call the customer service hotline?

In about a week I should be hanging out with another computer-savvy friend and maybe we could try installing it and flashing it on his computer and seeing how it does, but he has a rug-type of surface covering his wood desk, however does have a wood floor, so we can see if this issue is one I won't be able to easily fix.

Hey RAM GUY -

Couple things, one, I went to my friend's last night, where we plugged in the mouse and were having no issues. Went ahead and installed the firmware and software later on with no issue. The mouse did shut down for a couple moments at one point after we had installed the firmware and software, but came back on on its own.

Then today I just plugged it in and I heard the USB connected Windows sound, but then a USB error alert popped up. I investigated and I get "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

Now I'm going to unplug it and plug it back in...

I get the USB disconnected sound, however none of the lights were on on the mouse.

Plugging it back in the lights are all on, no alert of any issues and the mouse is working. I will keep you posted if the issues of it turning off remain, and I will also be testing it on my family's general computer as my dad said we could try it on there. Starting to question why my desk has issues with the mouse, because the desk is wood and the mouse is sitting directly on it, so I don't understand why it has issues with static discharge, but I am trying to ground myself on my keyboard (Corsair K90) and that generally works.

Hopefully it will stop but I'm not counting on it. =/

Thanks! Will update you when next it has issues, specifically the random shut downs.

Okay, so the mouse went a couple hours tonight free of problems, then it randomly became unresponsive, even though the lights were still on and there was no USB disconnect sound. This happened a few times recently and just now it took several re-plug-ins to get the mouse to light back up and start working again.

When I send this back in, should I use the same RMA# my previous one used?

Deltrus, when you get your new mouse, be sure to do the firmware update first and then install the software. You want to also double check your system. Did you get any static discharge at your friend's house?

No, I did not, which is pissing me off. I've not had any static discharge here at my house yesterday or today, but likely because I've been being more careful with how I approach it.

The issue has mostly gone away since I started grounding myself to the keyboard first when sitting down, but like I said last week, my friend has a wooden floor, so I didn't imagine we'd have static problems.

And double check my system in what way? I can assure you it is stable, been running Folding@Home every night the past couple weeks and even one day for 36 hours straight.

As for possibility of the system possibly not being grounded, I suppose it's possible, however this is the first it's ever been an issue. The system is in a HAF X case and the computer sits on a heavy wooden table my great granddad made. :P (I hope he doesn't mind how the table is being used! *coughs*)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey RAM GUY.

I moved back to my old mouse because the M90 was still having the shutting down problems and for the past few weeks I've been tossing around a lot of thoughts on what I should do. Being that the M95 will be released soon, I was wondering if there was any way I could just get a refund, even if it's in Corsair "bucks" or something, as I know there's other things I wouldn't mind buying/and I wonder whether or not the M95 will have the same problem.

I also kind of want to upgrade my K90 to the K95, possibly, but as for now I don't know if I want to keep on dealing with the M90 if it just doesn't like my house/computer/desk. =/

I have the same problem with the scroll wheel. I have Google set to return 100 results per page and at times, with the slightest touch of the wheel, it scrolls down so fast I end up at the bottom of the page before letting go. I ordered my M90 from Newegg on 8/1/2012 and the problem started within the first month. I usually move the cursor off to another monitor and quickly spin the wheel back and forth; the problem goes away for a while. I haven't felt like submitting and RMA since it rarely happens in-game, it's just a nuisance while web surfing.

For me it is not a big enough problem to post about it in the threads talking about it, only posting here because of your mention of the ESD.

I have only seen the ESD issue as the cold dry winter arrived, which is normal for building up static. I smoke outdoors and usually wear my fur-lined leather slippers and get quite the zap when I come back in and touch the mouse. Now I remove my slippers when I come back in to my room, no more zaps. Doesn't happen with any other shoes or when only wearing socks. What's funny though is sitting at my desk with my hand millimeters away from mouse base plate rubbing my slipper clad feet on the carpet and feeling the constant electrical arcing.

The ESD has never caused anything to happen as you mentioned though; it does not disrupt normal functioning of the mouse or PC.

Hi all.

I've bought my M90 late in Dec last year. Starting mid January i've run into same stopping-working thing described here - at first, once or twice a day. Now, i get 3-4 disconnections per hour of the mouse from the laptop. I've moved the mouse into USB 2.0 port, into e-SATA / USB port & it acts the same: at random moments the mouse dies (is no longer recognized by W7 32bit), but i cannot use the touchpad, then after max 5 sec, it is re-enabled again & a pop-up appears letting me know that the touchpad has been disabled. (i've set it like this).

So, the "funny" facts are the mouse goes off whenever it wants & i don't know how to handle it. I have the latest mouse firmware & software version installed on laptop. Also mouse is in hardware-playback mode, since i'm using it in office mode & many applications accept only input as CTRL+C/V & not copy/paste options.

Suggestions ?? I'm from Europe, Romania - so a round trip for a replacement will mean a good 3-4weeks without this capable rodent & its heavily used buttons.

LE: I've forgot to say that i'm using the mouse on a wooden desk, black & i got electrocuted once - a bit strong. From that one time, i don't recall getting electrocuted again.

• 1 year later...

In all fairness, i need to say that the problems are caused by my laptop. In the past months i didn't have any problems with the mouse. Lately, it started again to pause. Something in Windows puts into sleep the usb ports, randomly. When i have issues with the mouse, i start a recheck of all usb ports' settings & i find that the power management is set to stand-by that port. I have flashed the mouse to latest firmware.

All in all, i'm most satisfied with the mouse, cause it helps me in my daily office work.

In all fairness, i need to say that the problems are caused by my laptop. In the past months i didn't have any problems with the mouse. Lately, it started again to pause. Something in Windows puts into sleep the usb ports, randomly. When i have issues with the mouse, i start a recheck of all usb ports' settings & i find that the power management is set to stand-by that port. I have flashed the mouse to latest firmware.

All in all, i'm most satisfied with the mouse, cause it helps me in my daily office work.

have you tried going into bios to see if you can set your usb ports to stay powered on?

and appreciate your honesty,its a rare item from what ive seen

• 2 weeks later...
i have a m90 and started experience this issue did everything possible to fix it installing drivers, firmware , research etc didn't find a solution , last what i did was blow some air with mouth to see if it had dust in sensor , indeed seems like the dust was blocking the ability to scroll up and now it scrolls down and up with no issue , try this solution and if it doesnt work then RMA it , this worked for me might work for others

Archived