Corsair Community

Corsair HS1 left turns into right and massive pop when frapsing.

hamzta

Why are you here when you dont know what Im talking about?

Because he is a forum administrator and helps people out.

As for the flyer, if a person has not seen the same retail packaging you have, then they have not likely seen the flyer. Your reference was very random.

Please, RMA the headset.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because he is a forum administrator and helps people out.

As for the flyer, if a person has not seen the same retail packaging you have, then they have not likely seen the flyer. Your reference was very random.

Please, RMA the headset.

Uh, you only have one flyer according to BLACKbeard. And EVERYONE gets it. And what makes you sure the admin has the headset? He didnt have it according to me and his PMs.

And it appears you call em "Leaflets"

Yes as we're all now aware and reminded there's a leaflet/flyer (to each his own) in the packaging that states you shouldn't return it to the store.

Yes, Blackbeard said that the wording in said leaflet/flyer would hopefully be adjusted in the future.

Yes, one guy paid €30 to RMA his headset, but without a clear answer as to the final destination (NL, USA, or Taiwan depot) or how he shipped it or even who he shipped it with, there's no way to know if the price was too much or fair.

No, I have not seen the leaflet in person and no, I don't own an HS1. That is what Yellowbeard was referring to, in that if someone doesn't own the headset, then they wouldn't know what it says.

Yes, not fully stating the source of statements and references does make it confusing to understand what one is talking about. This thread reference should sufficiently update people reading this thread: http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/127-corsair/980821-rma-procedure-costs-attached/

Uh, you only have one flyer according to BLACKbeard. And EVERYONE gets it. And what makes you sure the admin has the headset? He didnt have it according to me and his PMs.

The admin does NOT have an HS1. That is exactly the point. He has not seen the retail packaging or whatever comes inside of it.

Debating "leaflets" and "flyers" serves no purpose whatsoever. It is FAR beyond the scope of Tech Support. Let's have no more of it please.

Hamtza, you have been given your options. We value you as a customer and would like to get you a working headset. If you refuse to RMA the current unit and you cannot or will not return it to your retailer, I am afraid that you are out of options.

The admin does NOT have an HS1. That is exactly the point. He has not seen the retail packaging or whatever comes inside of it.

Debating "leaflets" and "flyers" serves no purpose whatsoever. It is FAR beyond the scope of Tech Support. Let's have no more of it please.

Hamtza, you have been given your options. We value you as a customer and would like to get you a working headset. If you refuse to RMA the current unit and you cannot or will not return it to your retailer, I am afraid that you are out of options.

The shipping was to NL @ the admin.

And I would never RMA it through your service as that would take several weeks, shipping to NL then they have to 'test' the headset and it would probably be lying in a Queue for a while, and then either ship it back or send a new one. Plus paying for it!

Perhaps they would find no problems with it, perhaps they only try it in one software, or just a short movie clip?

Or do they fully test it?

The thing is, the left/right swap is completely random, but it mostly happen when you got more than one software running that has a sound input/output.

It is as if the Headset or Soundcard tries to, lets say I run winamp while playing EVE (in 7.1) perhaps its trying to Emulate the Stereo source from Winamp into 7.1 and therefor the sound become misplaced... I dont know.

Are there any techies at Corsair that could explain it all?

How it all works?

And it happens much more often when using -any- of the Two dolby modes, either Dolby 7.1 Shifter or Dolby Prologic (which has no difference in anything at all from what I have noticed, other than in Music the music gets really really low in volume.

If I would RMA the headset and ask for the 3.5mm version (HS1A) would I get a refund? Due to the HS1A being cheaper and lacks the HS1 features?

"Edit"

And forgot, can one Emulate Virtual Surround with the HS1A? Im not talking about -any- of the "biggie" Dolby features, just the "Dolby Headphone" setting? It appear to sound just like as if you are using a... random headset and then you turn on "Virtual Surround" in the Realtek control panel, or windows own version under "Sounds".

Is there any difference between those three?

• Corsair Employee
We are looking into this at this time with the software engineers now and if there is an update available we will post one. But its not clear at this time what is the cause of the problems you have posted. We suspect some type of conflict with other software and that takes time to duplicate and work out a solution. I would suggest talking with our customer service and they can help you directly with the RMA. Or call in and ask for me I will be happy to help you personally. You can use skype to call the 888 number and choose option 2 then just ask for Ram Guy.

And I would never RMA it through your service as that would take several weeks, shipping to NL then they have to 'test' the headset and it would probably be lying in a Queue for a while, and then either ship it back or send a new one.
You wouldn't have to wait for testing, because as soon as they get it they'd send the replacement out.

You wouldn't have to wait for testing, because as soon as they get it they'd send the replacement out.

Are you sure? Cause when you send an item to a retailer because of an issue, they test it out, if they find no issues, they send it back plus the transporting and a "test" fee.

We had suggested that you submit the RMA request directly with us, by using the link on the left.

And thus, paying half the price of what the headset would cost as new, which means, I might just aswell buy the HS1A or another brand directly. Otherwise, it would just be a loss for me.

And its not really an issue with the headset, but with the drivers and software.

We had suggested that you submit the RMA request directly with us, by using the link on the left.

And another thing is, windows sounds, like opening a folder and such, usually never make any sound with this headset. Sometimes it does, but mostly not.

And RAM GUY, answer me this.

If I RMA through you, will I have to pay for the shipping or not? I.e. 30 euro to NL and back?

If so, then why would anyone do it through your RMA?

It should be free as the issue is with you corsair and not the consumer.

Its funny.

I plugged in the headset without the driver installed.

And it works fine, no frikkin left & right switching, no balance issues.

Nothings wrong other than the "dolby" features not being there.

So it MUST be related to your drivers.

Because, the headset still uses the soundcard to produce sound, does it not?

Because I highly doubt onboard cards will deliver sound to USB devices.

Thank God! Been searching everywhere for this..

I have the exact same problem. HS1 USB headset, usually set in 7.1 mode. Lately I've been playing a lot of ArmA 2 MP with Teamspeak 3 running in the background, and I have to restart the device (and ergo the game) several times a night. I'll be minding my own business and suddenly the L and R channels swap (possibly the F/R ones as well, but not quite sure on that). It seems to often, but not always, be preceded by a few pops or crackles. It's not just the game either: all audio sources do the same thing. No apparent trigger either.

I am also of the opinion that a RMA would be a waste of time. Even if Corsair has an industry leading system it's still a royal pain, and this just screams software problem not hardware failure. Getting another unit with the same firmware is not going to solve the problem.

Has there been any progress on a fix? I love the headset, but this is a rather serious flaw for my purposes.

edit: Just feeling the need to emphasize that I have only had this occur while using Teamspeak 3(or a similar program) and a full screen game. A game running with an audio player does not trigger the bug, nor do multiple concurrent games or a single one. I havn't spent a significant amount of time with only TS open, but on it's own it doesn't seem to cause the problem either. Checking or unchecking 'let applications take exclusive control over this device' has no effect. Maybe something to do with multiple programs attempting to send positional audio?

Thank God! Been searching everywhere for this..

I have the exact same problem. HS1 USB headset, usually set in 7.1 mode. Lately I've been playing a lot of ArmA 2 MP with Teamspeak 3 running in the background, and I have to restart the device (and ergo the game) several times a night. I'll be minding my own business and suddenly the L and R channels swap (possibly the F/R ones as well, but not quite sure on that). It seems to often, but not always, be preceded by a few pops or crackles. It's not just the game either: all audio sources do the same thing. No apparent trigger either.

I am also of the opinion that a RMA would be a waste of time. Even if Corsair has an industry leading system it's still a royal pain, and this just screams software problem not hardware failure. Getting another unit with the same firmware is not going to solve the problem.

Has there been any progress on a fix? I love the headset, but this is a rather serious flaw for my purposes.

edit: Just feeling the need to emphasize that I have only had this occur while using Teamspeak 3(or a similar program) and a full screen game. A game running with an audio player does not trigger the bug, nor do multiple concurrent games or a single one. I havn't spent a significant amount of time with only TS open, but on it's own it doesn't seem to cause the problem either. Checking or unchecking 'let applications take exclusive control over this device' has no effect. Maybe something to do with multiple programs attempting to send positional audio?

If I try to fraps, it directly swaps left with right, if I fraps then again for 1 second it goes back to normal if I am lucky.

But I have no idea what may trigger it other than that, I have played games without fraps, without skype, without mumble, without winamp, without MSN, without ****in steam. And it occurs still!

And yes, front and rear also appear to switch.

I am now about to RMA this headset, but the thing is, my retailer inet.se will have to "test" or "recreate" the issue for up to 10 days, if they find no issue, I will have to pay them 350 kr (35€)

Its not really "easy" to recreate when one does not know what causes it.

But Im highly sure its software related. As if the driver somehow conflict with something else.

And corsair wont do crap about anything, the "driver" came out around summer 2010. And they appear to do nothing about it either.

Great support, not really.

They rather replace the hardware and possibly lose money, rather than fixing the software or atleast try to.

• Corsair Employee
Hamza, we are still looking into it but unable to duplicate the results. Would you be able to disconnect all your USB devices except the HS1, mouse and keyboard, and let us know if you are still able to duplicate the same issue? Since you have already tried disabling the onboard soundcard and uninstalled the driver we can rule out the idea that the onboard audio is conflicting with our driver. Let's see if it's a USB priority issue.

Hamza, we are still looking into it but unable to duplicate the results. Would you be able to disconnect all your USB devices except the HS1, mouse and keyboard, and let us know if you are still able to duplicate the same issue? Since you have already tried disabling the onboard soundcard and uninstalled the driver we can rule out the idea that the onboard audio is conflicting with our driver. Let's see if it's a USB priority issue.

Its currently in its packaging and about to send it to the retailer.

So No.

Ask the guy above, perhaps he could.

Forgot to mention, I dont use any USB devices other than Mouse & Keyboard, unless I plug in my external drive, which is rare thesedays.

And I dont see how the HS1 would conflict with my mouse or keyboard.

The kb is a G15 blue and the mouse is an Edge 3200.

Well, I feel like an idiot. For me at least, I think it was a conflict with a Behringer USB driver. I had the device unplugged but it seems like it's driver still wasn't playing nice with the HS1's. Disabling it in Device Manager appears to have solved the problem, or at least cut down on occurrences in a big way. Will have to give it a few more days to be sure. I do know that conflict was responsible for another issue I was having (couldn't get the mic and speakers to both function at the same time).

• Corsair Employee

Thanks for the update vohk, we are definitely still looking to sort out any compatibility issues with our driver and other devices/drivers out there. Audio devices and USB devices are what I suspect to be the most likely when it comes to driver conflicts so the first thing to try would be to disable these devices/drivers temporarily to see if there is any change.

hamzta, I did not suspect that your mouse or keyboard were interfering (I said to leave them plugged in and disconnect any other devices), but I do not know what other USB devices you may have had hooked up (I do now, after your last post). I'm just trying to help rule out any possibilities. I have tested the HS1 on various chipsets and systems in our lab and around our office and I am not able to duplicate any issues with the driver, and this tells me that your headset is either faulty, or there may be some other driver on the system that's effecting ours in some way. If you have not tried it, I would open the task manager and kill any non-Microsoft processes that are running, and see if you can still duplicate the issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have exactly the same problem that people describe before. I've got this problem when i play to BBC2 and i'm audio chating whith mumble (but got the problem whitouht mumble). The sound can switch right/left and i sometime heard pop and crackling. It don't have this problem when listening music or watching movies.

I'll try to disable my usb device (philips SPC520NC webcam) but i got a logitech usb keyboard and mouse that i can't disconnect :sigh!: And i 've got a xbox 360 joypad that i use too in the game.

Hope this will fix the problem because it's really annoying.

PS: my onboard soundcard is a realtek

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced this issue in some games, like killing floor. Some times I turn the wrong way when I hear zombies calling out for some [insert preferred tool here] love, as the sound seem reversed. Other times they are where the sound is coming from, and I turn the wrong way as a force of habit. Been trying all modes, but the issue persists.

In addition, while playing wow, ambient sounds would often change between both ears, and one ear on random. It seems the sound placement can be glitchy at times.

Archived