Corsair Community

Corsair HS1 left turns into right and massive pop when frapsing.

hamzta

I purchased my HS1 headset about 4 months ago. The sound is great but I also get the sound reversing. This happens in pretty much everything. I have tested it in World of Warcraft, Torchlight, Fallout: New Vegas, Portal, and a few other games. Streaming video, movie files, and some streaming audio also does it. This seems to be a system wide issue and does not just affect the individual programs that are in use. I have spoken with Customer Service before and they instructed me to switch my audio channels through the control panel. This works for a little while but eventually it switches again. It seems to me that something is triggering a stereo reverse on the driver level. I will try to test the options I have read in here but I doubt they will help. I would rather not have to RMS simply because I don't feel it is necessary for a software/driver level issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Same problem here. Noticed it while playing CS 1.6, and it's pretty damn frustrating when I think the enemies are coming from the left, when they are coming from the right. It seems to happen when switching from desktop to game or the other way around. It happens many times an hour, if I switch between the game and desktop a lot.

I have a Realtek onboard soundcard, and I have the drivers installed for it. I don't know if I have to use the realtek drivers, but I have a lot of other audio sources (speakers, other headset, TV) so for now I will use it.

I'll try uninstalling your drivers and see if it gets better.

Edit: Closing comment: It's a pretty big flaw that the drivers switches orientation Left/Right. I think you should prioritize fixing it. I'm considering using my 14-day buyer's remorse.

Edit2: The problem persists after uninstalling driver. I don't know the implications of that. How are the headphones "driven" without official drivers? Windows generic drivers? Maybe that's useful information for you people...

• Corsair Employee

For anyone experiencing the left/right swapping issue, are you able to duplicate it on multiple systems or is it only one main system that causes it? I've spent hours trying to duplicate this using various hardware and software mentioned in this thread but I have not been able to get it to happen. This leads me to suspect that its not a driver issue entirely, but possibly the driver is conflicting with some other hardware or software that is on the system. Also it may be a good idea to unplug any USB devices from the system and see if there is any difference, this should at least rule out any interference with other USB devices (leave mouse and keyboard plugged in).

If it were solely a driver issue, then I think we would see many more people posting about it, and it would be much easier for us to reproduce. I suspect there could be a problem with the driver, but only when running along with certain hardware and/or software.

The best way to figure out the source of the problem would be to simplify your hardware and software as much as possible until you can get to the point where the issue disappears. That way we may be able to isolate some possible sources of the conflict.

If you are getting the issues without the HS1 driver installed then please Request an RMA. If they are not working the way that they should on your system, and you have any trouble exchanging or returning them to the reseller then please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what alternative options may be available.

For anyone experiencing the left/right swapping issue, are you able to duplicate it on multiple systems or is it only one main system that causes it? I've spent hours trying to duplicate this using various hardware and software mentioned in this thread but I have not been able to get it to happen. This leads me to suspect that its not a driver issue entirely, but possibly the driver is conflicting with some other hardware or software that is on the system. Also it may be a good idea to unplug any USB devices from the system and see if there is any difference, this should at least rule out any interference with other USB devices (leave mouse and keyboard plugged in).

If it were solely a driver issue, then I think we would see many more people posting about it, and it would be much easier for us to reproduce. I suspect there could be a problem with the driver, but only when running along with certain hardware and/or software.

The best way to figure out the source of the problem would be to simplify your hardware and software as much as possible until you can get to the point where the issue disappears. That way we may be able to isolate some possible sources of the conflict.

If you are getting the issues without the HS1 driver installed then please Request an RMA. If they are not working the way that they should on your system, and you have any trouble exchanging or returning them to the reseller then please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what alternative options may be available.

As I said, RAM GUY, I got the problem both with and without the official drivers. When I uninstalled the drivers, Windows automatically "configured" the device and probably downloaded some other drivers. So it's definately not isolated to the official drivers alone.

As a customer it's not really very appealing to do extensive error searching, as I still have my 14-day buyer's remorse.

I do however hope that Corsair will be able to fix this, so that I may feel safe when purchasing a Corsair product in the future. I think most of your other products are fairly good.

• Corsair Employee
As I said, RAM GUY, I got the problem both with and without the official drivers. When I uninstalled the drivers, Windows automatically "configured" the device and probably downloaded some other drivers. So it's definately not isolated to the official drivers alone.

As a customer it's not really very appealing to do extensive error searching, as I still have my 14-day buyer's remorse.

I do however hope that Corsair will be able to fix this, so that I may feel safe when purchasing a Corsair product in the future. I think most of your other products are fairly good.

If you are getting the issues without the driver and on multiple systems then its likely a hardware problem and you should Request an RMA.

If you are getting the issues without the driver and on multiple systems then its likely a hardware problem and you should Request an RMA.

While my personal version of this has been jury-rigged (conflict with a Behringer USB analog input driver; must disable driver while using HS1), please humour me- how exactly would replacing the headset with an identical model solve the problem?

Would it be safe to assume that an actual solution, re: new driver, will not be forthcoming?

• Corsair Employee
While my personal version of this has been jury-rigged (conflict with a Behringer USB analog input driver; must disable driver while using HS1), please humour me- how exactly would replacing the headset with an identical model solve the problem?

Would it be safe to assume that an actual solution, re: new driver, will not be forthcoming?

If you have problems without the driver installed, then I doubt the driver is causing the problems. If you have the same issues on multiple systems, then its unlikely a compatibility issue with any of the hardware on your main system. I suspect the problem lies with the headset itself, likely with the volume controller pod if I had to guess.

Hello

I have exactly the same problem that people describe before. I've got this problem when i play to BBC2 and i'm audio chating whith mumble (but got the problem whitouht mumble). The sound can switch right/left and i sometime heard pop and crackling. It don't have this problem when listening music or watching movies.

I'll try to disable my usb device (philips SPC520NC webcam) but i got a logitech usb keyboard and mouse that i can't disconnect :sigh!: And i 've got a xbox 360 joypad that i use too in the game.

Hope this will fix the problem because it's really annoying.

PS: my onboard soundcard is a realtek

I would like to add quick things about what I try that may help developper of corsair to find us a fix.

So with my desktop PC i've got problems i already talk about (swith L/R, pop, crack). when I play BBC2. This happen whether i got corsair or windows driver installer.

So i decided to try my headset on another configuration. I have a macbook pro (core i5) on which i made a windows 7 64bit installation. I put corsair driver on it and then i play BBC2. I play about one hour with 5.1 activated in the corsair panel and the sound was perfect. no pop, no crack sound and no L/R switch.

So my first guess is that is not a headset issue. So a RMA would not fix the problem.

This is probably a hardware conflict on my desktop pc. But which on? Is a driver could fix this? I don't know... Hope the staff corsair would find a quick solution.

• 2 months later...

Raising this thread from the (relatively) dead, as I've picked up a set of HS1 recently while doing a headset roundup and ran smack dab into this same issue.

Symptom/Issue:

Channel reversal in all modes (2ch, quad, 5.1, 7.1)

May also include heavy lean towards right channel with some reversal and/or a momentary clicking and popping when occuring. May also snap back to normal and reoccur multiple times.

Method of replication to reproduce symptom reliably:

Start a demanding game and play, alt tabbing will generally help reproduce the glitch quicker but is not necessary for it to occur. Was able to reproduce with a number of titles but the games which reproduced the problems most reliably were Eve Online and Left 4 Dead 2. Usually the first occurance would be within a matter of minutes.

Edit Update: Fired them back to Amazon and purchased something else with next day shipping. The hassle of fiddling the things for two days, reinstalling my OS, and the time it would take to RMA is just not worth it.

Loved the sound reproduction of the things, but the software is horrendous. My advice to anyone looking at these is to stick with the 3.5mm version and go with a different internal/usb sound card or risk running into issues with the completely stagnant drivers. Software doesn't appear to be Corsairs strong suit.

• Corsair Employee

I would try and go to Device manager and disable the on board sound and see if that issue is resolved, and please let me know your system configuration and driver versions installed.

Some have got around the issue by using a PCI USB card FYI and we are looking into the issue.

• 2 months later...

Hi all...

I found this thread by searching google. I have this exact same issue.. First time it happened I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was doing so bad in games lol.

I also have the channels reverse on me, left and right, but also front and back reverse as well. Usually toggling dolby mode on and off fixes it but not all the time. Odd that people say it is with general microsoft drivers too, unless MS is downloading the "official" driver without the software that goes along with it.

Really is a shame because I bought these to have something more comfortable than my Logitech G35's but it is impossible to not lose my wits with the sound constantly reversing.. :eek:

Was wondering if this is still being looked into?

I have the same issue with the channels. I tried everything also to stop the channels from reversing.

I have to unplug and replug them to set it back. Contact tech dept and get a RMA. They are very prompt... Give Corsair a chance to resolve the issue. I am sending the set to them tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply Ram Guy. It is cool to see active support on a forum like this. :-)

I have my onboard sound disabled via the bios so I don't think it has to do with that. I must admit however that I haven't tried everything. But reading some of the other posts I'm not sure what other things to try that would be of any help.

One thing I would wonder though is, is everybody having issues using the same operating system? One guy mentioned using a mac and there were no issues?

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit. What's everyone else got?

Also Ram Guy, I'll be straight up, not sure if it helps or not, but in my PC I have installed:

a logitech usb headset with generic drivers

logitech g35 headset

creative tactic 3d alpha headset

sound blaster x fi titanium fatal1ty sound card

realtek alc 888 onboard sound (disabled in bios)

amd radeon 5850 vid card

amd phenom x4 955 black edition

Based on other replies I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but generally I can see how multiple audio device drivers can conflict, seen it before, but based on other replies I saw no indication that it should necessarily be an issue with the HS1.

If anyone else can chime in with what they got maybe we can determine a pattern with hardware/software and help the corsair guys figure it out.

I will monkey around with some stuff as well and try to do it in a systematic manner and report back.

@nomnompie:

My first suggestion would be to try disabling all of your other audio devices in device manager (or going through one by one) and testing if the problem sticks around. Easy enough to enable them again after and a driver conflict seems to be the most common issue. If I had to guess, I'd start with the Sound Blaster card. I've seen those have issues with conflicts in several other cases.

In my case it was a Behringer 1/4"-USB input. Windows 7 64bit, only other audio device is the on board Realtek soundcard.

Out of curiosity, has anyone had this particular issue resolved by an RMA? (Not counting a swap for the analog version)

• 1 month later...

The problem still exists with the new V1.1 drivers.

I've decided to stick with my TWO hs1 headsets and wait till new drivers comes available to fix this issue. It should be prioritized corsair! So many people have the same issue, and we all should know it isn't hardware related.

What kind of applications do you other guys use? (To see if we could find some similarities)

My system:

Windows 7 64 bit (all updates).

Applications running:

Windows Defender

Mumble

Ventrilo

Origin

Chrome

Corsair Headset Control Panel

Spotify

Digsby

Tversity Media Server

PS3 Media Server

Problem occurs while playing:

Battlefield 3

Heroes of Newerth

(and even watching a movie with VLC)

After stumbling over this http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=527175#post527175 I tried shutting down Skype and Microsoft Lync.

I forgot to mention Skype and Lync in my running application list.

So far so good.

I will reply later today whether it still works or not.

My hardware configuration:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Socket-AM3

Corsair Value S. DDR3 1333MHz 2GB CL9

Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB

Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 128GB

Antec Six Hundred Midi Tower Sort

Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard Pan-Nordic

My on-board audio is currently disabled.

Appreciate your time and patience RAM GUY! :-)

Nope, error still occurs, and I haven't played any games today. (watched some youtube videos).

Some of the videos would constantly swap between left and right when I balanced all sound to the right ear. I would hear "stuttering sounds", just like if it turn to left/right/left/right/left/right continuously.

this is SO annoying :(

Archived