Corsair Community

800D and SATA3

Qqu

I have searched for this on the forums and didn't see a thread asking this question so I apologize if this has been answered b4.

I have an 800D and a WD VelociRaptor SATA 3 drive. At that time, sata 3 wasnt a consideration as the mobo I chose, evga classified e760 didn't support sata3 however; due to 3 GTX 480s repeatedly melting my 24-pin connector on my PSU, EVGA has decided to "upgrade" me to the Classified 3 which is due out tomorrow.

This board supports the sata 3 so I was curious if I could use the hot swap bays with the sata back plates and get the sata3 performance??

and why are some mfgs names replaced with ******** in this forums? I dont understand the reason for that lol

Hmmm, that sounds great if it is not too expensive. I suppose I could just hook up everything to the sata3 controller (I am assuming it is backward compatable) and just replace the backplane when it comes out. I guess we need sata3 cables too :( always something!!! LOL

Afaik, the original backplane is SATA2 only, they are currently working on the SATA3 one and will likely offer it in the Corsair store seperately and then ship it with the new releases of the cases.

FlawlessSoul, How do you know this information? Do you have something in writing from Corsair that confirms this?

FlawlessSoul, How do you know this information? Do you have something in writing from Corsair that confirms this?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=455872&postcount=6

I'm the PM for Cases & Cooling products. Thanks for your feedback. I won't address your concerns point-by-point here, but suffice to say a lot of your feedback is very well thought out and exceptionally detailed.

The 800D was our very first case - and to be quite honest there are a few things we could have done better (and will do better on future cases) but some of them aren't fair. For example, while developing the 800D the SATA 6Gb/s backplane designs weren't really available and we didn't require it as there were no drives available in the market.

However, we made those backplanes easily replaceable and are looking into a compatibility kit that will be available in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

I would double check what board EVGA is sending you. They haven't gone through the official announcement for the Classified 3 yet, just dropped some teasers around the forums. Usually there is about a month lapse between when they announce the board and when they have it available. What really concerns me is the cheaper SLI3 board, which is a LE replacement, should be available any day now...I really hope they wouldn't attempt to send you that instead of the classy.

Also, FWIW, SATA3 backplanes have been discussed many times on this board, so you obviously didn't search very well :D:

I would double check what board EVGA is sending you. They haven't gone through the official announcement for the Classified 3 yet, just dropped some teasers around the forums. Usually there is about a month lapse between when they announce the board and when they have it available. What really concerns me is the cheaper SLI3 board, which is a LE replacement, should be available any day now...I really hope they wouldn't attempt to send you that instead of the classy.

Also, FWIW, SATA3 backplanes have been discussed many times on this board, so you obviously didn't search very well :D:

Yeah that wouldn't fly lol but the whole purpose is to provide a board that has a supplemental PCIe power connection. I was offered the E762 but that wouldn't fit in the 800D :roll: however; I am certain of the board I am receiving.

and as for the search... it was quick!!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

me was so excited to recieve my cosair 800d pc case ,i recently finding out my sata 3.0 Real SDD won't work with any hotswap bays ,its all good on my regular sata 2 hard drives.

does these support sata 3?this was an upset

thanks

:mad:

• Corsair Employee
You can either remove one of the backplane circuit boards and plug the SSDs directly into the motherboard, or you can mount them in the lower hard drive cage in the bottom front of the case, but you may need a 3.5in to 2.5in bracket for it to mount securely.

• 1 month later...
Guest TouchyFeely
Agreed I would also like to know if there is an update on this backplane situation... And without specualtion, is Corsair even thinking about updating the backplane? I mean if not you guys should definatley know, to be honest I rather know now that Corsair has moved on to new frontiers then to find out another 10 months from now Corsair NEVER even intended too update the backplane.

Archived