Corsair Community

Corsair K100 freezes after latest firmware update

• Corsair Employee
On 5/2/2023 at 4:18 PM, Szene said:

Who is talking about coolers?
Just provide one or two firmware versions for the K100. Please correct me, but shouldn't there be a safe check before updating a firmware, to prevent users from installing a firmware for a different product? If something like this isn't implemented in iCue please forward it as a suggestion, could help prevent these issues you mentioned.

Really apologize, got my threads mixed up but it'd apply just the same. That's why each case is different and must be in communication with the support team.

-Art

• Corsair Employee
On 5/3/2023 at 2:41 AM, serfi said:

Didnt knew the k100 was a faulty keyboard and a faulty cooler at the same time! 

Trully revolucionary products! 

Support team didn't give me a solution in 3 months of back and forth other than trying to reset the keyboard even asking directly for a firmware downgrade

Slip of the finger there, my bad. What's your ticket #? I'll give that to the appropriate team to have it a 2nd lookover.

-Art

Also experiencing this issue, since the firmware update was pushed onto me by icue 5.

Lodged a support ticket (2006147565) 9th May and have had no response. 

How can you brick such an expensive device & not have any options to rollback or a fix?

I'm trying to understand why some have this issue where the keyboard freezes where others such as myself (fingers crossed) haven't had any such issues up to this point.

Just thinking out aloud here, if the problem many of you are seeing was with the firmware itself, wouldn't everyone see the same problem when using this same/latest version of the firmware?

Right now when checking, my iCUE version is reported as 5.1.1113 and the firmware for my K100 RGB Air Wireless 5.1.1109.

On 5/9/2023 at 4:17 PM, Corsair Art said:

Slip of the finger there, my bad. What's your ticket #? I'll give that to the appropriate team to have it a 2nd lookover.

-Art

Dont worry i was joking 

As for my 2nd lookover i would prefer that you guys gave us an update on the complete fix that you are working on and maybe give a real statement

I know is not the best time given the great success icue 5 has had but being completely silent between "fixes" is not helping the issue 

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

I'm trying to understand why some have this issue where the keyboard freezes where others such as myself (fingers crossed) haven't had any such issues up to this point.

Just thinking out aloud here, if the problem many of you are seeing was with the firmware itself, wouldn't everyone see the same problem when using this same/latest version of the firmware?

Right now when checking, my iCUE version is reported as 5.1.1113 and the firmware for my K100 RGB Air Wireless 5.1.1109.

The problem only affects the k100 as far as i know and not the slim sibling the k100 air

• Corsair Employee
3 hours ago, serfi said:

Dont worry i was joking 

As for my 2nd lookover i would prefer that you guys gave us an update on the complete fix that you are working on and maybe give a real statement

I know is not the best time given the great success icue 5 has had but being completely silent between "fixes" is not helping the issue 

Understood. I will guarantee you that once there's a statement/fix, it will be posted but I have no news at this time.

-Art

• Sad 1

• Corsair Employee
11 minutes ago, Superino said:

bye thank you. Is it possible to postpone the report?
I got my mouse back but not working after 16 days of waiting

Please send me a DM with more context, will get this looked at.

12 hours ago, Corsair Art said:

Please send me a DM with more context, will get this looked at.

done sent...
I am convinced that those who manage the tickets do not read
hardware problems I want to pass the software support is no longer answered
but how can you be like this?
and we are almost 20 days away from my RMA

• Corsair Employee
9 hours ago, Superino said:

done sent...
I am convinced that those who manage the tickets do not read
hardware problems I want to pass the software support is no longer answered
but how can you be like this?
and we are almost 20 days away from my RMA

Seems like there's indeed a back and forth on the ticket from what you're saying? Sorry but I'm not fully understanding the context specifically, will definitely get this looked at if they stopped responding.

On 4/7/2023 at 3:02 AM, Lymsical said:
  • Moved the keyboard to a different USB stack on the motherboard
    • This has had no noticeable effect for me.
  • Connect fewer USB devices
    • This is not a workable solution for me unfortunately. I require all of these USB devices for work, and since the issue can happen hours/days apart it's not feasable for me to spend hours without them available unfortunately. 
  • Verify what the current polling rate is set to
    • 1000 hz
  • Try setting the keyboard to a solid white and separately a Rainbow wave. Confirm if the disconnect/reconnect happens when either or both lighting profiles are set
    • I have had disconnects with the color profile set to rainbow wave. I have not had a disconnect with the color profile set to solid white for three days so far since making the switch. 

Additional Info: 

When I my keyboard does freeze it does it in one of three ways - the old way where the colors stop moving and the keyboard becomes unresponsive, sometimes repeating the same keypress until unplugged and replugged, a new way (as of 1.13.53) where the keyboard disconnects and reconnects itself. and another new way (as of 1.13.53) where the keyboard freezes similar to the old way, but still accepts some inputs (which repeat constantly as you press them).

An additional thing that I noticed is that sometimes the keyboard acts a bit strange before the freezing behavior happens. I've had a few instances where I'll notice the lights flicker for a second, or the light pattern freezes and the keyboard stops accepting inputs for a second. After a couple seconds the keyboard will unfreeze, work fine for a few seconds before ultimately freezing in one of the 3 ways I listed above.

I haven't noticed any freezing ever since I swapped to the solid white color so far but it hasn't been long enough for me to feel confident about it yet. It's been 3 days since I swapped which is a good amount of time (I'm used to getting freezes 1-3 times daily) but I have had a few days without them in the past. 

It's been more than a month since I swapped my color profile to solid white, and I've only had maybe 1-2 lockups during that period. It DOES still happen to me, but much less. Last night I switched back to rainbow pattern out of curiosity and I've had 2 lockups just within the past couple hours. 

Uninstall ICue is the only way to fix this issue completely. Sucks, but at least your lights should stay on a default setting. Weird that the only software that conflicts with a corsair keyboard is the software that is meant to support it lol.

Wish I saw this thread before opening a case with Corsair. They seemed to be unfamiliar with this issue, asking me to do basic troubleshooting like changing USB power settings, even trying to load firmware while the keyboard is in recovery mode.

They ended up offering to replace the keyboard. I got an advance replacement and returned the old one.  The new keyboard was working great!  Until I decided to update the firmware due to iCUE's prompting. Ugh.  Exact problem returned.

Saw the suggestion to use a simple solid color scheme instead of rainbow spiral and that seems to be working.

• Sad 1

I am in the same boat. New K100 RGB. Since it updated the firmware, i got kinda disconnects from USB. Tried different hubs and, cause of the short cable, i need a Hub. From time to time, kinda 1 time every 2 hours, the keyboard repeat the last typed char a couple of times and resets then. Any animation in RGB stop for 2 Seconds and then it is back to normal, until this happen again.

• Sad 1

I am having the exact same issues. Repeated, random total keyboard freeze, lights shut off, sometimes the last key pressed repeats, etc; sometimes resets itself after 5 seconds but usually needs USB to be unplugged and plugged back in. 

Made a forum account just to reiterate how bugged the K100 and all the iCUE updates have been. This is my second K100 after having the same issues. 

Aside from obvious gaming woes of losing ranked games, having a poor gaming experience, it is simply just frustrating even to use an internet browser! 

Please fix your software/firmware. It's a very expensive peripheral...I have been a long time fan and user of Corsair keyboards, mice, headsets PSUs, fans, a stockholder etc but this latest issue prevents me from endorsing the company & products. 

Edited by walookani

Just replying to add that despite upgrading to iCUE 5, the issues still persist. It happens once or twice a day. Same issues. Lights go off, inputs are unresponsive. After 5 seconds or so it goes back to normal.

Crazy enough. Since the upgrade to iCUE 5, the keyboard works perfectly without any freeze here. Will keep an eye on that. 

On 5/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, serfi said:

The problem only affects the k100 as far as i know and not the slim sibling the k100 air

Not true. My K100Air disconnect as well, though it does it quite rarely. But it is, of course super annoying. Actually corsair just bricked it which is a completely different issue that I made a post about.

@Corsair Nick@Corsair Art@Corsair Albert

If this can't be fixed Corsair better issue a product recall.

Personally my opinion of the "Corsair" brand has been severely diminished. Due to how poorly this whole thing has been handled.

It has been over half a year and this issue is still ongoing. Why is it taking so long to fix if it is apparently not a hardware issue? Clearly more devs need to be allocated into fixing this. If it is indeed a hardware issue, would it not be best to recall before selling more units... 

We currently have a keyboard marketed towards "competitive gaming" yet it randomly disconnects. Making it utterly worthless for that purpose...

Edited by josh125
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This has just become asinine at this point, now your RMA system doesn't even work and I can't submit an RMA for this K100. I'm done, I want my money back for this brick of a product.

Corsair is lucky lemon laws only cover vehicles, it's been 12 months and they're continuing to sell defective boards at full retail value.

@Corsair Nick @Corsair Art @Corsair Albert

Have someone DM me with contact information so I can get a return label and I'll provide my receipts. I don't want another one of your broken boards, I want my money back.

This company should be absolutely ashamed of fleecing their customer base with this $300+ scam product.

• Thanks 2