Corsair Community

Introducing the CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER

Corsair Angie

1000D with 10x QL120 fans, 8x LL120 fans to make a 2x XR7-480mm rad pushpull sandwich, the EKWB dual-D5 distro plate, the Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme Glacial takes an extra VGA power input to supply the PCIE lanes, and an absolute ton of RGB including Strimmers and multiple commander XTs and two sets of LC100 - yeah I probably do need this for my new build, even with the mighty AX1600i.

• Corsair Employee
16 hours ago, Perry95 said:

The uk

I will look into this and give you an update once I have one. Sorry about the wait!

14 hours ago, Zone55555 said:

1000D with 10x QL120 fans, 8x LL120 fans to make a 2x XR7-480mm rad pushpull sandwich, the EKWB dual-D5 distro plate, the Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme Glacial takes an extra VGA power input to supply the PCIE lanes, and an absolute ton of RGB including Strimmers and multiple commander XTs and two sets of LC100 - yeah I probably do need this for my new build, even with the mighty AX1600i.

Sounds like your AX1600i would appreciate the LOAD BALANCER. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, Corsair Albert said:

Sounds like your AX1600i would appreciate the LOAD BALANCER. 🙂

It's ordered and on the way.  I will protect my AX1600i with my life, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question:  My 5V Load Balancer just arrived (thanks!) but there's no manual included nor available for download, and the included cables aren't marked apart from the one end indicating it's producing a CPU (EPS12V) output.

Fair and all,  but the head-end to plug into the PSU isn't labelled, so, asking out of full paranoia:  Is it Type-4 compatible, before I blow up my AX1600i and start a fire?  I have to imagine it is given how new a product it is, but I'm in no rush here so safest to ask.

I don't remember the differences between Type 3 and Type 4 specs well enough to just assume the EPS12V have a consistent pinout at the PSU side.

Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employee
20 hours ago, Zone55555 said:

Quick question:  My 5V Load Balancer just arrived (thanks!) but there's no manual included nor available for download, and the included cables aren't marked apart from the one end indicating it's producing a CPU (EPS12V) output.

Fair and all,  but the head-end to plug into the PSU isn't labelled, so, asking out of full paranoia:  Is it Type-4 compatible, before I blow up my AX1600i and start a fire?  I have to imagine it is given how new a product it is, but I'm in no rush here so safest to ask.

I don't remember the differences between Type 3 and Type 4 specs well enough to just assume the EPS12V have a consistent pinout at the PSU side.

Thanks in advance

The 5V Load Balancer is compatible with both Type 3 and Type 4. 🙂

• Like 1

type 3 and 4 have the same pinout for SATA, PATA (molex), PCI-e and EPS12V. Only the motherboard cable is different. either way, good to go 🙂

• Like 1

Perfect, thank you both

Edited by Zone55555

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 4:15 AM, JULVEX said:

This might help a lot to solve plenty of power issues with RGB fans/stripes, hope this will be available to buy soon

makes you wonder how much power/heat people create with rgb everything.

• 2 weeks later...

In an earlier comment, it was mentioned this "only works with Corsair PSUs." Why and how is this? Will this really not work with any other PSUs than Corsair? The product page makes no mention of this other than "Connecting to your CORSAIR power supply, it will power the vast majority of modern accessories and drives." which can easily be seen as just an on brand marketing statement. 

I'd like to get one of these, but I don't have a Corsair power supply and don't plan on buying one just for this device. 

• Corsair Employee
6 hours ago, FxMotion said:

In an earlier comment, it was mentioned this "only works with Corsair PSUs." Why and how is this? Will this really not work with any other PSUs than Corsair? The product page makes no mention of this other than "Connecting to your CORSAIR power supply, it will power the vast majority of modern accessories and drives." which can easily be seen as just an on brand marketing statement. 

I'd like to get one of these, but I don't have a Corsair power supply and don't plan on buying one just for this device. 

Here's the correct quotation.

On 4/14/2022 at 2:20 PM, Corsair Albert said:

The Load Balancer is designed for use with our PSUs.

"Only works with Corsair PSUs" and "designed for use with our PSUs" are two entirely different statements. I'm not one to fully rule out compatibility with other brand PSUs, but I can fully assure you that these load balancers were developed and designed around our PSUs.

also, the pinout of the cables you plug into them is most likely Corsair type 4.

But in the end it's just a DC to DC converter sooo... 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:52 PM, gio2vanni86 said:

Hey Angie is this able to work with evga psu? I bought it and think maybe either I had a bad psu or a bad unit itself. When plugged in my psu does not work, the fan does turn on once I unplug it but of course no power. I got a new psu evga since cables are custom for it, but now I'm too scared to try again. It's of course plugged into the only cables u have available which is my 8 pins for a 3rd gpu. Thanks again.

It connects via a CPU/EPS12V connector, not PCIe. So you'd need to get one of those for your PSU. Once you do that, it should work. Using PCIe cables will trigger the short-circuit detection on the PSU ... that's why it won't start.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 3:05 PM, Momo-70 said:

This is great, its exactly what I need for my upcoming build, as I will be running a lot of RGB fans and components.   How do I go about purchasing it, as I am in Australia and the list of "Find a Retailer" on the product page, only lists US stores that do not ship to Australia.

Am I able to purchase it directly from you and have you ship it to Australia ?

Did you end up getting one? Im in Australia too and cant get ahold of one from anywhere.

• 2 months later...

Is there any word on when this will be widely available yet?

I live in Germany and I've been waiting for this product for a year now, with my 5V rail being fully maxed on your top of the line AX1600i PSU - and I still have lighting components in their original packaging lying around here that I'd love to incorporate into my build.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, 1024 said:

Is there any word on when this will be widely available yet?

I live in Germany and I've been waiting for this product for a year now, with my 5V rail being fully maxed on your top of the line AX1600i PSU - and I still have lighting components in their original packaging lying around here that I'd love to incorporate into my build.

I believe we will never see it in Europe, I need it too since I have some LC100 triangles lights to install in one of my builds.

The easiest way (maybe) is to find a way importing it

• 3 weeks later...

Please show me one corsair product that can run 40amps worth of 5v leds.

• 1 year later...

Holy cow, you guys need to advertise this more!!! So many more uses than just RGB bling.

I'm turning my previous PC with an ax1500i into an all-flash DAS/NAS for my new workstation and was about to plug in 48 SSDs when I finally thought to double check the Amps available on the 5V rail. Glad I did, because the PSU "only" has 30A on the 5V; I need almost 100A, 475 watts to be exact. Add in two more SSDs for boot drives, plus 5 HDDs that need 5V for startup, that's a lot of 5V.

I've been googling for days trying to figure out what kind of PSU can support that much power on the 5V, but they're all heavily weighted to 12V, even in big (and very expensive) redundant server PSUs.

These little guys are a life saver. Each of my 3 backplanes have 4 SATA power connectors, supporting 16 SSDs a piece, so I'll just put two of these on each backplane and I'll still have plenty of headroom on the ax1500i, and plenty left on each load balance unit.  Put the remaining SSDs and HDDs on the PSU and all will be good. And you're including SATA power cables with the caps, so I can trim these down to a single SATA connector each and make them the perfect length. It's a win-win-win.

You guys need to get your marketing guys to look into the DIY homelab and NAS market, these things would sell like crazy.