Jump to content
Corsair Community

Introducing the CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER


Recommended Posts

  • Corsair Employees

55225785_5V_ACCESSORY_MODULE_07@300bby.thumb.jpg.d5ae7b0da0790cdd3f0273fd9765230c.jpg

Hey everyone,

We're excited to present to you a first in line of DIY product accessories with the CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER. Setups are customizable and easier than ever before.  

What does it do?

  • Balances your power load on your PSU which can be caused from many lighting devices, accessories, and drive setups.

Why do I need it?

  • Multiple plugged devices can increase noise and heat from the power supply, even when idle so the CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER was created to draw power from the heavy-duty +12V rail, helping to balance the power load ensuring the PSU remains cool and quiet.

How will my system benefit from this? 

  • Your system will benefit from this as it re-allocates power from the +12V rail to the +5V rail, giving more breathing room for your system. You will be able to fill your PC with ample lighting devices, accessories, and more without worry of overheat and noises.

Click here for more information. We’ve put together a quick FAQ below.

Q: Is this easy to install?
A: The CORSAIR +5V PSU LOAD BALANCER is easy to install as it comes with included screws and fits into nearly any 3.5in HDD tray. It comes with a single EPS12V input and up to 8x SATA and 4x PATA outputs. 

Q: How does it connect to my PSU?
A: You can connect it to your CORSAIR Power Supply as it uses an 8-pin PCIe or EPS12V modular connector. 

Let us know your comments and thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is great, its exactly what I need for my upcoming build, as I will be running a lot of RGB fans and components.   How do I go about purchasing it, as I am in Australia and the list of "Find a Retailer" on the product page, only lists US stores that do not ship to Australia.

Am I able to purchase it directly from you and have you ship it to Australia ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

can't wait to see a teardown of that one to see if it's sturdy and reliable at least by design 🙂

I know an old forum member that will jump at it in a jiffy for his decked 1000D hehe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might help a lot to solve plenty of power issues with RGB fans/stripes, hope this will be available to buy soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will I need this for a 10 year old Corsair HX1050 PSU powering 28x  RGB Pro Strips (280 LEDS) and 2x 140cm (84 LEDS each ), 2x 45cm (27 LEDs each), 2x 25cm (15 LEDs each) LS100 strips = 532 Addressable RGB LEDs ???

 

Serious question! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dicehunter said:

Shouldn't a high end Corsair PSU already be sufficient ?

for normal blokes yes 😛

but builds with a ton of RGB will pull so many amps from the 5V rail that it may end up triggering the PSU fan even if the 12V isn't doing anything.

Using that kind of box will make the PC silent again.

 

47 minutes ago, Ca1ibos said:

Will I need this for a 10 year old Corsair HX1050 PSU powering 28x  RGB Pro Strips (280 LEDS) and 2x 140cm (84 LEDS each ), 2x 45cm (27 LEDs each), 2x 25cm (15 LEDs each) LS100 strips = 532 Addressable RGB LEDs ???

 

Serious question! 

10 years old, you need a new PSU before needing this box unfortunately. voltage ripple must be all over the place!

But that's definitely one of the use cases where it will help keep the psu cool and silent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

for normal blokes yes 😛

but builds with a ton of RGB will pull so many amps from the 5V rail that it may end up triggering the PSU fan even if the 12V isn't doing anything.

Using that kind of box will make the PC silent again.

 

10 years old, you need a new PSU before needing this box unfortunately. voltage ripple must be all over the place!

But that's definitely one of the use cases where it will help keep the psu cool and silent

No worries actually, I tend to jump the gun a lot on purchases and then change plans. So for example I had forgotten that I had already bought a Corsair VS650 for a build for my brother....but then changed the case I was going to build it in and needed a SF600 to fit in the new case. In other words I have a brand new VS650 I can use to power all those RGB LED strips. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

for normal blokes yes 😛

but builds with a ton of RGB will pull so many amps from the 5V rail that it may end up triggering the PSU fan even if the 12V isn't doing anything.

Using that kind of box will make the PC silent again.

In this instance though what would constitute a ton of RGB ? 1 x Capellix AIO, 10 x Corsair QL RGB fans all controlled via a Commander Core, Commander Pro and Lighting Node ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there any link between the device and iCUE? Like the I versions of PSU that you can track in iCUE, is it possible to do the same with this one (beside seing it thru the PSU)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmmm... looking at the photos, there's just power in and power out

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, Dicehunter said:

Shouldn't a high end Corsair PSU already be sufficient ?

It depends on how much RGB you have. Corsair's PSUs max out at 30A on the 5V rail ... and even the mighty AX1600 will very quickly start spinning the fans at loads much lower 5V loads than that. And never stops. Turn off the RGB and it stops. For a $500+ PSU, it is extremely disappointing. My HX1200i actually handled the 5V load better.


While this is a good addition, what I'd really like to see is a PSU with a larger 5V rail that can handle higher 5V loads without the fan spinning. One would think that, given Corsair is one of the top manufacturers of both RGB devices and PSUs, we'd see something like that.

Edited by DevBiker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
On 10/14/2021 at 9:05 PM, Momo-70 said:

This is great, its exactly what I need for my upcoming build, as I will be running a lot of RGB fans and components.   How do I go about purchasing it, as I am in Australia and the list of "Find a Retailer" on the product page, only lists US stores that do not ship to Australia.

Am I able to purchase it directly from you and have you ship it to Australia ?

Hey Momo-70, please refer to this link https://www.corsair.com/us/en/where-to-buy - Australia and hopefully your particular area will be covered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
On 10/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, Ca1ibos said:

Will I need this for a 10 year old Corsair HX1050 PSU powering 28x  RGB Pro Strips (280 LEDS) and 2x 140cm (84 LEDS each ), 2x 45cm (27 LEDs each), 2x 25cm (15 LEDs each) LS100 strips = 532 Addressable RGB LEDs ???

 

Serious question! 

Hey Ca1ibos, ideally while it would work in theory and put less of a strain on the load - my worry is more on your PSU and that being it's 10 years old 😞 My best suggestion would be to contact our support for more help as well. I believe many here on the forums would also suggest in getting a newer PSU to go with the Load Balancer just so the output is safer and consistent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Corsair Angie said:

Hey Ca1ibos, ideally while it would work in theory and put less of a strain on the load - my worry is more on your PSU and that being it's 10 years old 😞 My best suggestion would be to contact our support for more help as well. I believe many here on the forums would also suggest in getting a newer PSU to go with the Load Balancer just so the output is safer and consistent. 

In  a later reply I said that I just remembered that I have a spare brand new boxed Corsair VS650 I can use for the RGB strips and controllers. It was bought for a build where ultiimately I changed my mind about the case and thus I needed to by a SF600...meaning the brand new unused VS600 is available to me. So the question is whether I should still by the 5V load balancer for use with a VS600.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ca1ibos said:

In  a later reply I said that I just remembered that I have a spare brand new boxed Corsair VS650 I can use for the RGB strips and controllers. It was bought for a build where ultiimately I changed my mind about the case and thus I needed to by a SF600...meaning the brand new unused VS600 is available to me. So the question is whether I should still by the 5V load balancer for use with a VS600.

Very rough, back-of-napkin estimate on your LEDs puts it around 18A or so on the 5V rail when all white.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, LeDoyen said:

hmmm... looking at the photos, there's just power in and power out

 

Yeah, what I was seeing too. A bit disappointing.. I'll wait for an XT version that hopefully supports iCUE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tbh there's not much to monitor besides power draw, and, either it varies constantly because you have color cycles, or it's fixed and insignificant anyway if on fixed color.

the example above with 18A draw will turn out to be just over 7A on 12V which is peanuts.

iCUE alone uses more than that on background loading of the CPU 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So when is this actually gonna get released? I've been refreshing the page daily ever since the announcement and I haven't read about the part from anywhere but Corsair's own site.

 

My current RGB setup already draws a little too close to 150W for comfort and sadly that is all even a AX1600i can provide, as far as I know. I wanted to buy some more RGB stuff, so this really would come in handy right about now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
On 11/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, 1024 said:

So when is this actually gonna get released? I've been refreshing the page daily ever since the announcement and I haven't read about the part from anywhere but Corsair's own site.

 

My current RGB setup already draws a little too close to 150W for comfort and sadly that is all even a AX1600i can provide, as far as I know. I wanted to buy some more RGB stuff, so this really would come in handy right about now.

Are you unable to sign up for the restock notification?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corsair Albert said:

Are you unable to sign up for the restock notification?

I'm signed up for the restock notifications. I just haven't seen it in stock yet for either the US or EU site. Also no retailers seem to have it listed and there's no reviews or other commentary online for the device. So I assumed it hadn't really released to sale yet.

Since I'm planning my other purchases around having more 5V power, it would be nice to know if there is an ETA on when I can actually order that device from anywhere yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...