Corsair Community

Set Up for 9 or 10 fan/cooler system

Ive searched through and found multiple posts showing multiple ways.. honestly I got overwhelmed and confused as a first time builder. Long story short.. I'm looking at a 9 fan for sure.. probably 10 fan set up. with possibly LED strips (not 100% committed to the strips though)

Specs for my set up:

Case: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

PSU: Corsair RMx 850w Gold

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM 360mm

Fans: 3 ML RGB WHITE PWM 120mm (included with CPU Cooler)

(2) 3-Pack QL120 RGB WHITE PWM 120mm

1 QL120 RGB WHITE PWM 120mm

Essentially the same as this.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=204927

The 7th fan is always the killer. Grouping it with the other ML-Elite (8 LEDs) is probably the best option. It will make the those ML-E act a bit weird on sequential effects, but since the side wall is somewhat non-contiguous with the rear it may not matter too much. Static effect or stationary fan effects will work fine and I find that works better for this particular arrangement in the XL with QL top/bottom. You could take a second LN Core from the QL packs and give the 1 QL it's own channel, but I would try grouping with the ML-Elites first. It would be yet another SATA and USB connection for 1 fan.

Fan power/control - You can get a Commander Pro and use the fan control headers for the 6 QL. There are 6 more on the Commander Core, so you can park the extra QL over there or get a 2 way PWM splitter for one of the Commander Pro headers. You'll still be safe on fan current. However, aside from that the Commander Pro doesn't have any lighting duties in this set-up and those will all be on the Commander Core and Lighting Node Core. We often suggest using power PWM hubs to offload groups of fans while issuing PWM signals from 1 header from the Commander. This is especially useful in case with large banks of 3/4 fans where there is no reason to run them at different speeds. However, there is one quirk that might make the Commander Pro worth the expense. You are not going to have any RGB Lighting Channels on the Core devices. Those are for fans only. If you need RGB strips, it must go to a lighting channel from a "Pro device" (either Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro). The front strip on the case is a 30 LED strip. That can be incorporated in CUE with a 3rd party adapter as well as Hydro X parts or other 5v D-RGB devices. If you need the RGB channel, then the Commander Pro makes more sense vs PWM Hub + obtaining a Lighting Node Pro.

Edited by c-attack

For PWM control, you should be good putting them all on the Commander Core that comes with the Capellix cooler. You'll need several PWM splitters though.

The RGB is a little more challenging. While you can mix QL and the MLs on the Commander Core, they'll be configured as the fan with the most LEDs (in your case, the QL). While this works, control is a challenge. But it is a viable option.

It's better to put the MLs on one channel (on the Commander Core, in your case) and then the QLs on the second channel (on the Lighting Node Core). Then you are left with a single, lone QL. You can either put that on the second Lighting Node Core or look at a third party splitter so that you can put all 7 fans on the same LNC.

For PWM control, you should be good putting them all on the Commander Core that comes with the Capellix cooler. You'll need several PWM splitters though.

The RGB is a little more challenging. While you can mix QL and the MLs on the Commander Core, they'll be configured as the fan with the most LEDs (in your case, the QL). While this works, control is a challenge. But it is a viable option.

It's better to put the MLs on one channel (on the Commander Core, in your case) and then the QLs on the second channel (on the Lighting Node Core). Then you are left with a single, lone QL. You can either put that on the second Lighting Node Core or look at a third party splitter so that you can put all 7 fans on the same LNC.

Would something like this work also? Or is this not a good option. Sorry for the noob questions just trying to learn everything and get it right in the best way. First time full builder here haha.

https://imgur.com/gallery/e3jnI5g

The RGB Hub won't connect to the Commander Core. And the QL fans come with a Lighting Node Core, which has the same port configuration as a Fan Hub (4 Fan RGB ports) but connects to USB rather than a CoPro/NoPro.

So if you swap the Fan Hub in your diagram out for a Lighting Node Core that is connected to USB, what you have on the diagram can work. However, the fans on the Commander Core will all be recognized as QL-RGB fans so certain effects may be strange - you'll be controlling the ML fans with 8 LEDs as a QL fan with 34 LEDs. I mentioned this previously as a viable option - it'll work - but controlling the RGB is a challenge as some effects will be "off".

The RGB Hub won't connect to the Commander Core. And the QL fans come with a Lighting Node Core, which has the same port configuration as a Fan Hub (4 Fan RGB ports) but connects to USB rather than a CoPro/NoPro.

So if you swap the Fan Hub in your diagram out for a Lighting Node Core that is connected to USB, what you have on the diagram can work. However, the fans on the Commander Core will all be recognized as QL-RGB fans so certain effects may be strange - you'll be controlling the ML fans with 8 LEDs as a QL fan with 34 LEDs. I mentioned this previously as a viable option - it'll work - but controlling the RGB is a challenge as some effects will be "off".

Thank you for the help. I appreciate.. one last thing. In the image I sent would each fan with the Red and Green lines need the splitter? Im assuming so since the fans only have 1 plug (I assume)