Corsair Community

SP120 RGB Flicker with LNP

Breaker1818

As I just downloaded the software, the updated firmware should be included no?

Current Firmware Version: 0.5.104

Well, it will offer to update the firmware but won't do it without your approval. That said, you have the most recent version.

Can you post your Link configuration screen?

It's possible that you also have a misbehaving Lighting Node Pro. That would be a ticket to support.

Okay, thanks for the tips. As for the cooler fans I'm guessing because they don't technically exist? I swapped the Cooler/Radiator fans with the SP120RGB's that came with the case. It's also entirely possible I wired them wrong, but from what I can visually see, all looks good. You think I should RMA the LNP? Waited 2 weeks for this one to arrive, waiting another 3+ is honestly depressing.

Okay, thanks for the tips. As for the cooler fans I'm guessing because they don't technically exist? I swapped the Cooler/Radiator fans with the SP120RGB's that came with the case. It's also entirely possible I wired them wrong, but from what I can visually see, all looks good.

If they aren't plugged in to the cooler, then that would explain the 0 RPM. The cooler wouldn't be able to control their speed anyway; it will only control 4-pin PWM fans. The downside is that you won't be able to control fan speed based on coolant temperatures. Still, your pump speed looks low ... it should be around 1900 RPM for "Quiet" mode and 2900 for "Performance" mode. This usually happens when it's not getting enough voltage.

You think I should RMA the LNP? Waited 2 weeks for this one to arrive, waiting another 3+ is honestly depressing.

Well, the software is set up correctly. The LEDs worked before you installed the LNP, correct? You're using the same fan hub and they don't exhibit this behavior when connected to the push-button controller, correct? That leaves only one thing ...

• 2 months later...
If they aren't plugged into the cooler, then that would explain the 0 RPM. The cooler wouldn't be able to control their speed anyway; it will only control 4-pin PWM fans. The downside is that you won't be able to control fan speed based on coolant temperatures. Still, your pump speed looks low ... it should be around 1900 RPM for "Quiet" mode and 2900 for "Performance" mode. This usually happens when it's not getting enough voltage.

Well, the software is set up correctly. The LEDs worked before you installed the LNP, correct? You're using the same fan hub and they don't exhibit this behavior when connected to the push-button controller, correct? That leaves only one thing ...

Ok I think that's enough sidewinding. The flickering fans have we got a solution?

I have one flickering sp120 that came with my 570x and I think I can determine it is that one particular fan's problem by observing the following.

Just quickly lets name things a bit better to avoid confusion shall we?

The block with 6 RGB out plugs and one RGB in = 6-plug-hub

The one with the USB port on it= USBcontroller

(Do not care what corsair names them)

ok, So to determine a particular fan is at fault I first plugged in my USBcontroller and ran 2 6-plug-hubs from it. one from port 1 and another port 2 (on the USBcontroller)

I then connected three SP120 RGB fans to the 6-plug-hub on port 1 and three ML120 RGB fans to the 6-plug-hub on port 2.

I then noticed upon powering up the machine I had a flickering fan (Oh the joy!).

All of the other fans worked as expected ( I was kinda lucky)

I removed the third plug on the 6-plug-hub in an effort to identify the flickering fan's plug and found it to be the correct one as that fan's LED's went out.

I then switched the plugs around so that the flickering fan was now in the second plug of the same 6-plug-hub. I now had two flickering fans ( "weee!" I said)

"Hmm, could it be the 6-plug-hub?" I wondered.

I plugged all of my SP120 fans into the 6-plug-hub on port 2 of the USBcontroller and the problem remained. The same fan showed the same results.

So, I tested ports one and two of the USBcontroller and I tested 2 separate 6-plug-hubs.

I have no problem with the ML120 RGB fans.

I have tried the firmware trick with a paperclip and I think Corsair is getting rid of dud fans by including them in the 570x cases and including a manual lighting controller that can deliver a higher amperage or something.

prove me wrong.

• 4 months later...

Bought a 460X, removed the SP120 and installed 6 LL120, all working fine

Tried to use the 3 SP120 with the 3 button controller ALL perfect

Tried to use the 3 PS120 with the USB controller, flickering on 2 fans

upgraded firmware, flickering on 3 fans

tried to upgrade again, now the computer wont see the usb controller

ended up dumping the thing and just using the original 3 button thingie.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I am too having the same problem, bought a 570X and then 3 LL 120's with a LNP.

I also have a 2nd LNP with the LED strip.

Everything works perfectly except the SP120 fans, i've tried every combination. Corsair even replaced the fans that came with my case with new ones and same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this issue, I have emailed Corsair and it takes them 3-5 days to reply to one message. It's almost been a month and nothing. They keep asking if I plugged it in right or did I use the hub.

I am having issues with my SP120 fans that came with the 570X and LNP.

I connect SP120 to HUB to LNP. All the fans flicker. If I use the LL fans, it's perfect.

The 3 SP fans with controller works perfectly, just not the LNP.

I'm about to call Corsair cause the one replying to my email takes forever and for me to spend $200 USD for a case and no fans is ridiculous. I even spent $$ on the H150i and their ram. If customer service takes almost a month, then I wonder what happens when I have issues with their other products.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had the same problem and I think I found a solution. In iCUE, when configuring the LNP channel for your SP fans, set the number of fans to 6 even if you are going to connect fewer. Any value less than 6 causes flickering on my setup, which is:

460X, 3 SP120s (originals from the case) on LNP channel 2, 3 LL120s on LNP channel 1, LNP from LL120 3-pack with FW 0.7.122.

I suspect this is related to timing on the data line for the LEDs. Maxing out the number of fans probably forces the LNP to push updates at a higher rate, and the rate required for 6 fans just happens to fall within the timing requirements for the SP fans (whereas the rate for 5 and fewer falls outside the timing requirements, so some of the updates are missed and are interpreted as "off").

On a related note, if anybody else is using the LNP from an LL120 3-pack and wants to use it to control two fan hubs, but is disappointed to find that the LNP only comes with one LNP-to-hub cable, and is even more disappointed to find that Corsair doesn't sell just the LNP-to-hub cable, then I have a solution for you: the LNP-to-hub pins have the same pitch as a standard 3-pin servo cable, which is how I'm achieving the setup I described.

I hope this helps!

Hi all,

On a related note, if anybody else is using the LNP from an LL120 3-pack and wants to use it to control two fan hubs, but is disappointed to find that the LNP only comes with one LNP-to-hub cable, and is even more disappointed to find that Corsair doesn't sell just the LNP-to-hub cable, then I have a solution for you: the LNP-to-hub pins have the same pitch as a standard 3-pin servo cable, which is how I'm achieving the setup I described.

I hope this helps!

Uhhh ... make sure that you snip pin 1 and don't get them backwards. Bad things can happen otherwise.

If you look in my signature and click on "Making/Repairing RGB Cables", you'll see the exact, correct part numbers for those connectors.

• 1 month later...

Diggings up an old thread...

So I have 3 SP120 fans in stock from a friend who received them with his computer case along with the hub and the button controller, he replaced the fans and controller in his case with with a CLNP and HD120 Fans, and gave me his SP120's but not the button.

I then bought a 2x ML120 Kits for another machine, so I had a spare CLNP and Fan Hub, so I set the spares and the SP120's up on another machine, and they work great...

I then bought 2 new SP120's to add to this case put them in and the 2 new fans flicker.. go figure, I have 5 fans in total, I saw someone post saying set it to 6, so i did and it mostly went away, there would still be the odd flicker.

I put just one of the new fans on port 1 and it still flickers just on its own, I then re order and put the old "working" fans after in ports 2 - 3 n they start flickering, remove the new fan and they stop flickering,

I bought a friend for Christmas 2x LL120 fan kits so he took a CLNP and Fan Hub from there replaced the ones in the case and it still flickers,

I went to scan.co.uk (corsair returns base uk) they did some testing and they RMA the fans, put the new ones in and the same thing, the guy even went into the back and grabbed a selection of the fans from different distribution periods but they were all the same so he came to the same conclusion we did, which is...

Corsair have either changed the fans or released an entire line of broken fans...

Tests consisted of,

Replacing the fans with 6 different fans from different distribution points,

Replacing the CLNP and Fan Hub,

Replacing the Power Supply,

Reinstalling iCUE,

Replacing iCUE with CL4 (TBH it does it when its in the bios so the control software has nothing to do with it.)

Only difference i can see in the new fans is that corsair have put their Netherlands address on the rear sticker.

New - Broken - Flickering

20181214-172538.jpg

Old - Working - Good

20181214-172554.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having exact same issues with a new 460x case and LNP..

With the RGB controller that came with the case they work fine.

As soon as I connect to LNP I get random flashing on 3 of the 4 fans.

The fix posted to select 6 fans fixed most of the issues but there are still a few lighting effects that cause the flashing. Also when I reboot I get the flashing until iCUE is loaded.

It would be great for Corsair to acknowledge this is actually an issue and work on fix.

I have created a support case but can't say I have high hopes of a resolutions with as many others that are having issue issue. I appears that Corsair has RMAed the fans and LNP for other users with no change

I have tested plugging each fan into the LNP one at time and they all have the issue.

I have browsed the forums and contacted support. They did send me out a new hub same issue. I have also done the downgrade. But the issue does seem to partially go away when you 6 fans as connected instead of 4. However if you try to select a subset (like 3 out of 6) in the light settings or apply any of the effects that require an order it seems to fall apart. I am able to set static colors and rainbow works fine. However rainbow wave does not. It appears to be an issue with addressing of the fans. And could be similar to having computers on the same network with the same MAC address. So could be either fan hardware related hub port assignment (this is most likely imo) or software. I am hoping its software.

• 3 weeks later...
3 weeks, any update on this? It seems like this should not be that hard to figure out as these are both your products. If this is a hardware defect I would expect to have something replaced? I tried the new iCUE version and it did not make any difference.

Thanks

During the conversations I have had with someone at Corsair Cali, I am supposed to be shipping my kit to them, however this parcel was returned to me by UPS and I am still waiting on a new shipping label to send this to cali for them to investigate.

They have offered me a full replacement, so far they have sent me a CCP, CFH and 1 LL Fan(agreed on LL instead of SP they did wanna send me ML) out of 5. so still waiting on the other 4.

The only response I have had within regards to this fault is they have so far been unable to recreate the issue.

Can someone from corsair please shed some light on any progress?

Archived