Corsair Community

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool Found "Errors" - HELP!

Baasha

I have been having some issues with my computer for few weeks.

The RAM kit I have is the Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz CAS-9. This one: CMD32GX3M4A2133C9

Long story short, I got a new PSU, RMA'd the motherboard, and even had an electrician install a new 20A breaker (w/ socket) in my place just for my beast of a rig.

I thoroughly tested every part of the system including GPUs, games, benchmarks, SSD/HDD (SFC /SCANNOW & CHKDSK) and since replacing the motherboard and getting a new PSU (just installed everything yesterday, I still seem to be having the same issues - black screen and reboot during gaming.

The black screen w/ reboot has been happening ONLY during gaming - I tried setting everything to stock (no OC), still same thing.

Yesterday evening, I got 4 BSODs (black screens) with BugCheck code 0x19 "BAD_POOL_HEADER" pointing to the GPU drivers but I am not sure that that's the issue.

I tried reinstalling the GPU drivers several times to no avail.

I am on Win 8.1 Pro x64 and I also tried Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (on another HDD that I have just for testing) - same thing! :mad:

The only thing I hadn't done yet was testing the RAM. So, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (Win 8.1 Pro x64) and set it to run for three (3) passes; when I came back to the computer (stepped out to run some errands), the screens were all black and the computer was unresponsive (although still on). I had to reset it to reboot to Windows.

I checked Event Viewer and this is what I saw:

http://i44.tinypic.com/a2di7s.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/24xfb4p.jpg

I don't know how to interpret those errors/messages; can someone please tell me what went wrong or what's wrong with the RAM?

Does this mean the RAM is/has gone bad?

Really need the computer to be working properly - please HELP!

Baasha, is this memory in the system you have listed in the drop down?

What are the exact settings you have them set to? Memory voltage, QPI voltage?

No, that is my secondary rig.

This rig (the one with issues) has the memory I indicated in the OP w/ 3970X and a bunch of other stuff.

The RAM is set to the XMP setting in the BIOS w/ the memory voltage set to the rated 1.65V.

The XMP profile is set to 9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V w/ 1N (instead of 2N).

I put MemTest86+ 5.1 on a USB stick and ran it and this is what happened:

http://i43.tinypic.com/w14upc.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dkzp7k.jpg

Looking at it now, it is on Pass 1 (so Run #2?) and there are 238 Errors! :eek:

What does this mean? The RAM is FUBAR?

Not necessarily. Did you test each stick one at a time as Yellowbeard suggested?

It could be failing memory, but it could also be too high of a memory overclock. Testing them one at a time would help narrow that down though. If they test fine one at a time, then I would suggest trying the next lowest SPD grade. (i.e. 1866mhz) and see if the system is any more stable.

Well I tested the RAM at the "Auto" setting (1333Mhz) and MemTest didn't show any errors.

However, I tried to play AC4 this morning with that setting and still got black screen and auto reboot after about 10 minutes.

Also, the RAM is rated to run at 2133Mhz - it is NOT an overclock at all.

If it cannot run at the rated speed - it needs to be replaced.

How do I RMA the RAM?

Also, the RAM is rated to run at 2133Mhz - it is NOT an overclock at all.

Yes, the memory is rated for 2133mhz, but your CPU is only rated for 1600mhz . So you are overclocking the memory controller on your CPU. Thjis is why we suggested to try 1866mhz. if it will run at 1866mhz then it's your CPU limiting you , not the memory. You may also need to bump your memory voltage at 2133mhz. So with the XMP profile enabled try setting the DIMM voltage to 1.55 to 1.6v and re-run memtest.

Well I tested the RAM at the "Auto" setting (1333Mhz) and MemTest didn't show any errors.

However, I tried to play AC4 this morning with that setting and still got black screen and auto reboot after about 10 minutes.

This really suggests some other issue then. Memory doesn't just fail at one speed. It's either good or bad. Seeing as your only getting errors at 2133mhz, that suggests an unstable overclock and your BSOD coming from somewhere else.

You can have the memory replaced if you want. Just use the link on the left to request your RMA.

I just don't believe this is case of bad memory..

On some ASUS MOBOs, you have to disable the Legacy USB Support function in the BIOS as this setting can interfere with Memtest. Please do the following.

Clear your BIOS, reset to defaults.

Disable Legacy USB Support.

Test each module individually with Memtest for 5-10 passes per module.

On some ASUS MOBOs, you have to disable the Legacy USB Support function in the BIOS as this setting can interfere with Memtest. Please do the following.

Clear your BIOS, reset to defaults.

Disable Legacy USB Support.

Test each module individually with Memtest for 5-10 passes per module.

I tested each RAM module individually yesterday and 3 passed without any errors even at the XMP setting (2133Mhz @ 1.65V). The fourth (4th) stick, however, did have 10 errors on the first and second passes - definitely a bad stick of RAM.

Going to RMA the RAM. I am in the Bay Area, how long would it take to get a replacement kit? Isn't Corsair also in the Bay Area?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I sent in the RAM kit and on Dec. 16 (Monday), I spoke to a Corsair rep and they said that the replacement kit would be shipped on that day itself.

I got an email later that night (Dec. 16) stating that my package was shipped and was provided a tracking number.

Today is Dec. 19 and when I check UPS with the tracking number, it keeps saying a "label has been created" but nothing else! :mad:

Corsair is in Fremont. I am also in the Bay Area. Why is the package not delivered yet?

Please help! I am getting really worried as to the status of my package since I need the RAM to get my PC back up and running!

I saw a story on the local news here in DFW last night that said UPS is way behind in their package deliveries. This is due to the bad weather nationwide over the last 2 weeks. UPS won't say how far behind they are and will not provide updates as of when the packages will be delivered.

Archived