Corsair Community

Bluescreen crashes after enablimg xmp

Hi guys,

I'm using msi b450 tomahawk with Ryzen 7 2700x , I have used 8gb corsair ddr4 (3000mhz 16-20-20-28 enabled xmp at 2933mhz) for 4 years with no issues, I have updated today to two 16gb corsair 3200 MHz sticks, there are two xmp profiles in my bios 2933 and 3200, setting any of the two profiles causes a bluescreen issue, What should I do now .

corsair please help me if you see this.

Try setting the primary timings manually in the BIOS, along with the specified voltage for the DIMMs.  The BIOS will auto-fill in remaining timings and it's programmed specifically for your board.  

3000 was the tipping point for a lot of 2xxx series AMD processors.  If you search back you'll find a lot of people had difficulty at that line.  If 3200 still won't boot on Auto, you might try the 2933 XMP manual settings.  If that does not boot, then I would send the RAM back and look for something else.  While it is likely possible to tune it to run, if you can't run 2933 with easy timings then it's going to be hard work to get it stable.  The other obvious difference is you have doubled your density going from 8GB modules to 16.  I was not an AMD owner for that series, but 16GB  modules were not part of the original design.  The QVL list for that board is shockingly short.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply ,

the ram I bought(CMK16GX4M1E3200C16 (version 3.41) )is not in the qvl list  but so did my previous ram(CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 (version 3.31)) but it ran fine for 4 years ,

also the blue screens are not immediate but after like 10 mins of usage , 

I will try to change the frequency and timings manually can you please suggest me what timings and freq should I choose .

23 hours ago, c-attack said:

Try setting the primary timings manually in the BIOS, along with the specified voltage for the DIMMs.  The BIOS will auto-fill in remaining timings and it's programmed specifically for your board.  

3000 was the tipping point for a lot of 2xxx series AMD processors.  If you search back you'll find a lot of people had difficulty at that line.  If 3200 still won't boot on Auto, you might try the 2933 XMP manual settings.  If that does not boot, then I would send the RAM back and look for something else.  While it is likely possible to tune it to run, if you can't run 2933 with easy timings then it's going to be hard work to get it stable.  The other obvious difference is you have doubled your density going from 8GB modules to 16.  I was not an AMD owner for that series, but 16GB  modules were not part of the original design.  The QVL list for that board is shockingly short.  

anything ?

CMK16GX4M1E3200C16?  So you bought two individual sticks of 16GB memory and combined them?  Don't do that.  You might be able to come up with hand timings to get those to work together, but you might not.  You are already at the limit of the CPU IMC, so adding a mixed memory kit is further raising the difficulty bar.  You need to send those sticks back and find a 2x16 matched kit.  

11 hours ago, c-attack said:

CMK16GX4M1E3200C16?  So you bought two individual sticks of 16GB memory and combined them?  Don't do that.  You might be able to come up with hand timings to get those to work together, but you might not.  You are already at the limit of the CPU IMC, so adding a mixed memory kit is further raising the difficulty bar.  You need to send those sticks back and find a 2x16 matched kit.  

Damn I know matched kits exist, but the shop didn't have any, so I bought two different stick I made sure they both from the same batch, so I bought these with the near serial number they are just 30 apart,

I can't return this now so somehow, I got to make this work. Anything else should I try?

Go into the bios and manually set the timings. That’s 16-20-20-38 or more likely it will appear as

CAS latency or CL = 16

tRCD = 20

tRP = 20

tRAS = 38

Unfortunately the way each BIOS displays this stuff is up to them, so I can’t tell you which tab has what in which order.  Look for a MSI specific guide if you need it.

You’ll also need to make sure XMP or DOCP is turned off and manually set the VDIMM voltage to 1.35v and the memory frequency to 3200.  If it won’t boot at 3200 with manual timings, drop the frequency to 2933.  

12 hours ago, c-attack said:

Go into the bios and manually set the timings. That’s 16-20-20-38 or more likely it will appear as

CAS latency or CL = 16

tRCD = 20

tRP = 20

tRAS = 38

Unfortunately the way each BIOS displays this stuff is up to them, so I can’t tell you which tab has what in which order.  Look for a MSI specific guide if you need it.

You’ll also need to make sure XMP or DOCP is turned off and manually set the VDIMM voltage to 1.35v and the memory frequency to 3200.  If it won’t boot at 3200 with manual timings, drop the frequency to 2933.  

yeah I have manually set the timings and voltage for 3200mhz , it ran cinebench fine and gave me a good score but as soon as I opened forza it crashed, right now I'm running just xmp 2933 and command rate 2t(as others in various forums suggested) , didn't change anything else, it seems to be stable ran occt stability test it ran fine and played a few games it didn't crash, 

is it okay if I use it like this will it cause any harm to my pc?

thank you for helping me

12 hours ago, chanu said:

is it okay if I use it like this will it cause any harm to my pc?

No, it will not harm the computer as long as it is not crashing.  When you start to regularly blue/green screen or freeze, eventually you'll corrupt your Windows installation and have to reinstall.  That's typically a pain in the neck and preferably avoided.  Games can be a surprisingly effective way to determine RAM instability.  It's a lot of calculations mixed with varying CPU loads.  If the games are crashing/freezing, that is a clear sign there is more to do.  

A lot of 2700x owners can't run 3200 MHz.  The RAM, CPU, and motherboard are all involved in the deciding where you limit lies.  The weak link usually sets the limit.  So not all 2700x CPUs can run 3200, but then not using a matched RAM kit added another element of vulnerability.  You started with two strikes against you.  If things continue to run smoothly at 2933, don't worry about it.  There is no meaningful difference in any application between 3200 and 2933.  

Edited by c-attack

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

No, it will not harm the computer as long as it is not crashing.  When you start to regularly blue/green screen or freeze, eventually you'll corrupt your Windows installation and have to reinstall.  That's typically a pain in the neck and preferably avoided.  Games can be a surprisingly effect way to determine RAM instability.  It's a lot of calculations mixed with varying CPU loads.  If the games are crashing/freezing, that is a clear sign there is more to do.  

A lot of 2700x owners can't run 3200 MHz.  The RAM, CPU, and motherboard are all involved in the deciding where you limit lies.  The weak link usually sets the limit.  So not all 2700x CPUs can run 3200, but then not using a matched RAM kit added another element of vulnerability.  You started with two strikes against you.  If things continue to run smoothly at 2933, don't worry about it.  There is no meaningful difference in any application between 3200 and 2933.  

this config crashed too im back to 2133. any other things i should try

You probably want to look for a RAM overlocking guide specific for Ryzen 2xxx CPUs or your motherboard. The secondary and tertiary timings should be OK, but the voltages may need some adjustment. There are a couple of things like system agent and VCCIO voltage that support the system, but the values vary greatly and are motherboard specific. I did not own an AMD in this period and don’t have experience with them.

14 hours ago, c-attack said:

You probably want to look for a RAM overlocking guide specific for Ryzen 2xxx CPUs or your motherboard. The secondary and tertiary timings should be OK, but the voltages may need some adjustment. There are a couple of things like system agent and VCCIO voltage that support the system, but the values vary greatly and are motherboard specific. I did not own an AMD in this period and don’t have experience with them.

thank you for your reply ill look into this.