Corsair Community

Please stop breaking things!

Shadowk

First you change it so when I turn my computer on and off it shows this horrible rainbow effect until Link loads. Then you change it so Link doesn't load minimized on startup. The only option involving startup in the app is just that, run when windows starts. I would just normally uncheck that box until you guys fixed it but if I do that then I'm stuck with this stupid rainbow. Please just fix it and leave it alone. Ive invested over $300 in your products and they get worse with evey update. Seriously .P.Oed customer.

• Corsair Employee

The hardware playback is getting restored in...I want to say we're targeting the next version for that. So I understand why you're ticked about that, and you weren't the only one, so that's getting fixed.

I wasn't aware of any changes to Link's startup behavior with the new version, though. You're saying 4.9.2.23 now always starts open instead of minimized to the system tray?

The hardware playback is getting restored in...I want to say we're targeting the next version for that. So I understand why you're ticked about that, and you weren't the only one, so that's getting fixed.

I wasn't aware of any changes to Link's startup behavior with the new version, though. You're saying 4.9.2.23 now always starts open instead of minimized to the system tray?

Yeah, happens to me too. Doesn't respect the window state at shutdown. I don't find it all that annoying, personally as I already have a bunch of stuff pop up at startup (Skype for Business, Teams, Discord ... not malware, don't be thinking that!).

Thanks you for the response and thank you for working on a fix. Sorry for sounding like a jerk.

The other problem since 4.9.2.27- The machine boots with the Link window open. It used to start minimized to the tray and I never had to see it.

Thanks for listening, hope you have a good holiday!

same startup issues here, at first it wouldnt load on startup even with the box checked. i open the startup properties and had windows scan it for compatibility and it came back saying windows 8, so i said ok and now it starts like the other are saying. i was thinking maybe a issue with the fall creators update from M$ since both dropped about the same time. and still the Vengence LED issue is not fixed, havent seen the option for adjusting that in the last two updates, at least before it would occasionally show up

First you change it so when I turn my computer on and off it shows this horrible rainbow effect until Link loads. Then you change it so Link doesn't load minimized on startup. The only option involving startup in the app is just that, run when windows starts. I would just normally uncheck that box until you guys fixed it but if I do that then I'm stuck with this stupid rainbow. Please just fix it and leave it alone. Ive invested over $300 in your products and they get worse with evey update. Seriously .P.Oed customer.

I'm feeling the same way :mad: Getting very frustrated at Corsair and their incompetent programmers. :mad: Really starting to think I will never buy their crap again.:veryangry

I'm feeling the same way :mad: Getting very frustrated at Corsair and their incompetent programmers. :mad: Really starting to think I will never buy their crap again.:veryangry

That angry over Link starting up in a normal window? That's kinda extreme for a nuisance bug, isn't it? (and, really, it is just a nuisance bug ... it doesn't hurt any functionality, doesn't blow up and doesn't break anything. Based on that, it should be triaged as low importance but I'd bet money it's a high priority now and Corsair Dustin is going to personally test it before approving another release.)

Or the lack of hardware playback? That's a known issue that Corsair admitted to in the release notes for a couple of versions. And they've told us that they needed to in order to support certain products in their line. That was totally based on priorities and, while I'm not thrilled about it, I get it. And it's on the list to be fixed.

Look ... I don't know Corsair's devs so I can't speak (directly) to their competence. But based on what I've seen, calling them "incompetent" is a bit extreme. First, writing software that gets released to the wild where end users can (and will) do things beyond your imagination is frikkin' hard. Second, working with IC's is not only hard, but weird. These little hardware devices are flaky and quirky, on their best day. There's not a lot of power in them. And their interfaces are alien to even the best .NET/C# developers.

How do I know this? I write software for a living and I've been doing it for over 20 years. I've worked with micro devices. I've also written high-volume, real time analytics applications that feed data into WPF applications and charts. So ... I've got a pretty good idea of some of the challenges that they deal with. And, overall, they do OK. Not perfect but ... no developer ever is; humans haven't been fully debugged yet. But they have been making very noticeable improvements and, more importantly, Corsair actually solicits and listens to feedback from the community (unlike some companies out there). That right there is important enough to me, as a customer, that I've recently increased my investment in Corsair products.

I don't know if you're a developer or not but if you are ... and you say that your code doesn't have bugs ... then I know, for a fact and without a doubt, that you are a liar. If you aren't a dev ... well, then you really don't have any idea of what is involved and aren't in any position to judge their competence.

That angry over Link starting up in a normal window? That's kinda extreme for a nuisance bug, isn't it? (and, really, it is just a nuisance bug ... it doesn't hurt any functionality, doesn't blow up and doesn't break anything. Based on that, it should be triaged as low importance but I'd bet money it's a high priority now and Corsair Dustin is going to personally test it before approving another release.)

Or the lack of hardware playback? That's a known issue that Corsair admitted to in the release notes for a couple of versions. And they've told us that they needed to in order to support certain products in their line. That was totally based on priorities and, while I'm not thrilled about it, I get it. And it's on the list to be fixed.

Look ... I don't know Corsair's devs so I can't speak (directly) to their competence. But based on what I've seen, calling them "incompetent" is a bit extreme. First, writing software that gets released to the wild where end users can (and will) do things beyond your imagination is frikkin' hard. Second, working with IC's is not only hard, but weird. These little hardware devices are flaky and quirky, on their best day. There's not a lot of power in them. And their interfaces are alien to even the best .NET/C# developers.

How do I know this? I write software for a living and I've been doing it for over 20 years. I've worked with micro devices. I've also written high-volume, real time analytics applications that feed data into WPF applications and charts. So ... I've got a pretty good idea of some of the challenges that they deal with. And, overall, they do OK. Not perfect but ... no developer ever is; humans haven't been fully debugged yet. But they have been making very noticeable improvements and, more importantly, Corsair actually solicits and listens to feedback from the community (unlike some companies out there). That right there is important enough to me, as a customer, that I've recently increased my investment in Corsair products.

I don't know if you're a developer or not but if you are ... and you say that your code doesn't have bugs ... then I know, for a fact and without a doubt, that you are a liar. If you aren't a dev ... well, then you really don't have any idea of what is involved and aren't in any position to judge their competence.

Interesting ::pirate::, and I could also agree if I did not know what has happened so far.:confused:

But, I would like to stress immediately and very clearly that my money is good from the first to last cent and I can't say the same thing as Corsair Link products. Do you agree? :D:

Justifying here as "professor" :eek: the difficulties of software and hardware development is outrageous for users :(:. It doesn't seem to me that our money was "beta" and that only after 2 years Corsair can use it (but only half because the other half was downgraded because... someone decided so for you... Do you remember Corsair Commander? Do you remember Cooling Node? Do you remember Commander MIni?).

Perhaps, as a developer like you say you are, it would be very good to read the parallel software development thread http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092 . It contains a lot of interesting information, especially for you who are a developer. :roll:

For us ordinary users, when we pay, we would like to receive what we have given our money for. Do you agree? Or you are one of those few people who don't work to live, but for fun and so you don't have any problems if you are paid half the salary (because the other half is only worthless paper?)?

So stop defending the incompetence shown by Corsair several times... and repeatedly.

We have been here for years now (I personally since 2012) waiting for something that perhaps will never be given to us: a decent software to control fans.;):

Interesting ::pirate::, and I could also agree if I did not know what has happened so far.:confused:

But, I would like to stress immediately and very clearly that my money is good from the first to last cent and I can't say the same thing as Corsair Link products. Do you agree? :D:

Justifying here as "professor" :eek: the difficulties of software and hardware development is outrageous for users :(:. It doesn't seem to me that our money was "beta" and that only after 2 years Corsair can use it (but only half because the other half was downgraded because... someone decided so for you... Do you remember Corsair Commander? Do you remember Cooling Node? Do you remember Commander MIni?).

Perhaps, as a developer like you say you are, it would be very good to read the parallel software development thread http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092 . It contains a lot of interesting information, especially for you who are a developer. :roll:

For us ordinary users, when we pay, we would like to receive what we have given our money for. Do you agree? Or you are one of those few people who don't work to live, but for fun and so you don't have any problems if you are paid half the salary (because the other half is only worthless paper?)?

So stop defending the incompetence shown by Corsair several times... and repeatedly.

We have been here for years now (I personally since 2012) waiting for something that perhaps will never be given to us: a decent software to control fans.;):

Oh, I'm aware of the historical issues and problems. I faced them too. It took months for them to recognize Kaby Lake CPUs, which was, IMHO, pretty egregious.

But, based on what I'm seeing from here in Texas, something changed at Corsair around that time. Since they did the first release (months late) that recognized KBL, updates started coming faster. Bugs were getting fixed. Communication increased. That was all positive stuff.

Since then, there have been pretty significant improvements. First, I think that there was a change in Product Management with Corsair Dustin taking over.

Second, I'd also guess that they also had turnover in the actual development team or, at the very least, the technical lead on the team. That turnover may have been the cause of the KBL support delay (again, guessing) as it does take some time for the dev team to ramp up on a pretty large code base that they need to support and fix.

Now ... before all of this started happening, I probably wouldn't have defended the team but, instead, stayed silent. Or even agreed. But progress ... and pretty significant progress ... is being made. Support for Ryzen came out pretty quickly after it was launched. I've not seen any complaints about Coffee Lake support so I'm guessing that it, too, came out pretty quickly after it was launched. Corsair is actively trying to make Link better, communicating with users, taking feedback and openly engaging the community. The product is incrementally but noticeably getting better. Missteps (and there have been a couple ... especially the driver signing) are recognized and addressed. Change logs are open and straightforward about known issues. So ... as that has changed, so has my attitude towards Corsair and the Link team. Where I was, a few months ago, seriously considering another vendor for cooling, lighting and the like, based on the responsiveness of Corsair to user issues and the lack of responsiveness or even a forum from "that other company", I've put my money into Corsair.

Continuing to judge the current performance of the Link team based on their prior performance when there has been a pretty dramatic change in approach and attitude isn't fair to them.

And, in all seriousness, getting so angry about Link not being minimized on startup is ... silly. As a Dev Lead, having the Product Manager prioritize that as a Sev 1, Critical bug would have me rolling my eyes at them with a "You have got to be kidding me, right?" Yet ... that seems to be the biggest complaint. Hardware playback and the continuing issues with the LED RAM should be bigger priorities but, based on the feedback, that one silly thing is #1. :rolleyes:

As for "parallel software development" ... I didn't see anything in that thread about that. I did see stuff about cross-process thread synchronization and mutexes, which is actually very different from parallel (scalable multi-threaded) development. There's also quite a bit about the underlying protocols of the different devices.

And, IMHO, an ideal solution to the problem of multiple devices accessing the Corsair Link controlled devices would be for Corsair to document and open the SignalR API that Link uses to communicate with the Link Service (which is what actually talks to the devices) as an SDK. That would be cool.

If you call that a progress it is not possible to use "copy to" function with latest the corsair link software

Yes. Progress. Not perfection. Don't confuse the two. Compared to last year? A lot of progress. Compared to the months where KBL support was non-existent and Corsair wasn't talking? Tons of progress.

I just updated the firmware on my LNP ... yeah, that's annoying. That should have been caught in QA. Funny thing tho ... it works for the Commander Pro fans but not for the lighting. Makes me wonder if there was a misstep sync'ing the firmware with Link.

I'll bet we'll have an update on this bug shortly as well. Again, that communication has improved tremendously. So ... again ... progress. I know that it may not look that way if you are looking at one favorite feature but you need to look at the forest, not one tree.

I do not confuse anything.. It is not easy to confuse something when you own almost all the co-operating products of a specific brand for nearly a doubled price of other brands similar products...So what Im trying to say is my comments are the last consumers comments who spent nearly a grand to experiment "high end RGB products" and

which has some experience on corsair products such as.. corsair Vengeance led, corsair HX1200, corsair commander pro, corsair lightning node pro, corsair LL120 RGB, corsair HD120 RGB, corsair SP120 RGB

SO its neither a sk8ter corsair fanboy nor a confused guy talking here..

BTW I like that optimism and rain forest blend of yours but please keep these to a guy who got bargains from chinese aftermarket... MAy be You can make them happy with an rgb software which barely works with his kabylake..

Thanks for your efforts and hope you get rewarded for them

Yes. Progress. Not perfection. Don't confuse the two. Compared to last year? A lot of progress. Compared to the months where KBL support was non-existent and Corsair wasn't talking? Tons of progress.

I just updated the firmware on my LNP ... yeah, that's annoying. That should have been caught in QA. Funny thing tho ... it works for the Commander Pro fans but not for the lighting. Makes me wonder if there was a misstep sync'ing the firmware with Link.

I'll bet we'll have an update on this bug shortly as well. Again, that communication has improved tremendously. So ... again ... progress. I know that it may not look that way if you are looking at one favorite feature but you need to look at the forest, not one tree.

I do not confuse anything.. It is not easy to confuse something when you own almost all the co-operating products of a specific brand for nearly a doubled price of other brands similar products...So what Im trying to say is my comments are the last consumers comments who spent nearly a grand to experiment "high end RGB products" and

which has some experience on corsair products such as.. corsair Vengeance led, corsair HX1200, corsair commander pro, corsair lightning node pro, corsair LL120 RGB, corsair HD120 RGB, corsair SP120 RGB

SO its neither a sk8ter corsair fanboy nor a confused guy talking here..

BTW I like that optimism and rain forest blend of yours but please keep these to a guy who got bargains from chinese aftermarket... MAy be You can make them happy with an rgb software which barely works with his kabylake..

Thanks for your efforts and hope you get rewarded for them

I have to wonder. If it's SO difficult, how come a certain software engineer (who has been banned from this forum) was able to reverse engineer Corsair Link protocols (that they refused to provide), figure out the CLCP and CLNP firmware, identify the MANY issues, add code to an already existing monitoring program, that now can do everything Link can do and a bunch of things Link can't do, with way lower CPU overhead, with work-arounds for firmware bugs, and support for X299, X399, Z270, Z370, Xeon CPUs, etc, and ROCK stable?

For those that don't know, SIV continues with a new help and suggestion forum, unhampered by Corsair censoring . The author is continuing to add more functions that Link cannot even begin to do. No 16 Core limit, no platform limits, synthetic temperatures that allow multiple sensor inputs to be combined, ambient offset adjustment, and more lately, dynamic color adjustment of system parameters based on value, etc. etc. etc.

Trust me - you don't want to know his opinion of the advice being given in this forum. I do see that Corsair is trying, and is being proactive about feedback. Maybe it is getting better, but the history of Link is appalling. NONE of these issues exist in SIV (except for firmware based issues that he has not been able to work around). None. Written without the benefit of data sheets or protocols, by ONE guy, in his spare time.

I have to wonder...

a certain software engineer (who has been banned from this forum)

unhampered by Corsair censoring

you forgot to mention red-rays abusive nature,, the belittling of new members, his bad attitude, ALL the Reasons he got banned... most reported person ever on this forum. There are still plenty of his abusive posts left in archives should anyone wish to search

i understand you miss him being here speedy.. but the majority dont... you also should warn people that his software would probably void warranty....

just the facts Maam

you forgot to mention red-rays abusive nature,, the belittling of new members, his bad attitude, ALL the Reasons he got banned... most reported person ever on this forum. There are still plenty of his abusive posts left in archives should anyone wish to search

i understand you miss him being here speedy.. but the majority dont... you also should warn people that his software would probably void warranty....

just the facts Maam

I'm observing you, Corsair fan boy. :p:

But we are discussing to have a good software:roll:, not a personal attack to someone :(:. Agree? I see in this forum a so big incompetence (users, Corsair employees and "Developers") that I'm really happy to follow this funny forum :D::D::D:.

Ask to users to report issues and release after release see the same problems always present is... outrageous:eek:, no other word to comment.

"The banned" owner of SIV have spent here a lot of time to try to grow this community with his support :o:. But is a SOFTWARE ENGINEER, do you know this kind of people? Engineers? How they live?:roll:

Just to remember I've today problem to relate the sensors in Corsair Commander Mini and Pro with a fan curve. After how many years?

oh, I forgot to mentions LEDS... this is how to focus the attention to the other side of the problem, shining lights for your eyes but not for mine...

;):

Corsair fan boy. :p:

Glad you spotted it ;) .... but i prefer bloke... after all.. i am 48 years old lol. and we are here at the corsair forums.. supplied by corsair for discussion of corsair products.. the good/the bad/and the bit in the middle.. people banging on about SIV all the time does nothing top help corsair or its customers crack on with solutions.,, I do hope you are wise enough to know that the people that come here with a problem are a very very small number compared to the world wide successfully working products sold in their Millions... all of them happy with out issues... people rarely come to give praise or good feed back,, they sit back and enjoy it :)

that is all....

as you were

over and out

LOL ;)..

edit

it could be said and I guess its partially correct,,, I could be bitter at Ray because of how he spoke to my self when I first joined. I joined because A, I have done forums for years.. I enjoy community side of it, and B,after I started my build and had eventually found out answers to questions I couldn't find answers for prior to buying some Corsair products I thought i would join up and do a post trying to help others with set ups etc. Ray was on me.. really went to town. I felt insulted and belittled big time. his method of abusive replies and deletion and or editing of them was was second to none.. there was many of us placed in this position by Ray and as he was the most reported member ever I guess that speaks volumes.. I would'nt use SIV (as good as it is at its job.. and it is! no denying) if my life depended on it purely be cause of the above. I have had many of the issues many have suffered but always managed to sort it with roll backs etc (I keep a copy's of every version of every driver/firmware/program.. lol.. I'm old and have learnt many lessons over the years lol)..

What Corsair doesn't need is distractions.. they need constructive on point feed back,, not anger.. not frustration.. not suggestions of alternative software (how can they fix stuff if its take else where to be fixed?).. not people here just to say stuff because they had a product in the past.. if you sold up then move on? no need to be here. its unhealthy lol and mainly.. stop expecting it to happen today.. it will get sorted,, there have been massive improvements over the last 12 months! stick with it :)

to add. They want to help and its why they fund an official forum and the staff to run it, try finding official forum for Nzxt?.. there's a reason why you know! ;).. they do have a Reddit.. bit of an eye opener if you would care to go read and it would seem the grass is no greener on the other side that's for sure

ps,, there was no personal attack,, just the rest of the facts added to a statement that didnt contain all the facts..

just the facts Maam

I agree - JUST the facts.

I didn't mention it because it is irrelevant to what he has accomplished. I am not defending red ray's personality or behavior. I also will not get into a debate about it because it's not relevant to my point and will (rightly) just get deleted. Personality and behavior simply do not alter the fact that he accomplished what he did. One person, without the benefit of spec sheets, source code, firmware, specific hardware data, a team, funding (aside from donations), etc. That was the point and comparison I was trying to make. Just the facts. Ray's personality just doesn't enter into it.

Speaking to your other points - No I really don't miss his presence here. Ray was fielding more questions than all of the Corsair reps combined for a long period of time, from people of every technical level. Often the same basic questions, over and over again. As I am sure the Corsair reps manning the forums can attest, it can get frustrating sometimes. Beginner or expert, Ray would (usually) always try to help people out.

The new forum he has set up tends to attract people that are already fairly proficient with SIV. The subject matter tends to be about advanced features and new developments. Not basic stuff like where all the wires are supposed to go, or problems specific to Link. SIV does a LOT more than control Link products, and discussing those types of things is more appropriate on that forum than this one since this one is about Corsair products - not SIV. I think having a forum dedicated to SIV is more appropriate and works better than having the Corsair forums full of posts about a piece of software that is not their product. I suspect Corsair agrees.

As for voiding the warranty - I honestly don't know but it might. I am not really concerned about it. To Corsair's credit, I have never had a Corsair product fail. I had an issue with a Corsair case, which they went above and beyond to rectify, and I have had devices become obsolete shortly after purchasing them (Commander Mini). If I manage to fry my CLCP and Corsair blames it on running SIV, I would accept their position without argument. I am quite willing to risk it in return for the features, stability, and efficiency of SIV. YMMV... ;):

Edit to add - Regarding "banging on about SIV", it exists, and because of that, anyone using Link products has a choice of which program they use to control those products. Aside from possibly voiding the warranty, I can't see how that is a bad thing. The warranty issue is a valid point. Perhaps a Corsair rep can chime in here and clarify their position on third party software as it's use relates to warranty. I wonder, would using Asus AI Suite void the warranty? or AIDA64, HWINFO? The guys in the Developers: The Corsair Link USB Protocol thread? The Arduino guys?

good post speedy :).. liked it but cant give you anymore good feedback ive maxed you out already lol.....

Well thanks Zotty! Nothing wrong with a little friendly debate. Funny how wound up people can get about fan control in their computer... :roll:

Funny how wound up people can get about fan control in their computer... :roll:

Dont start me lol... I work in entertainment hire.. i had this crazy idea to suggest to the boss we build a VR full motion Race Simulator... so we did... had it out on hire the last few days... constant gfx driver crashes.. tracked it down to heat and fan curves.. nearly had me in tears a few times lol.. against my wishes the boss bought a pre built with an amd rx480 card in it.. the amd software is very poor and the card is little better imho... when the system works it's the best race sim you will sit in.. proper motion units under the seat etc,, Vive VR.. 36" ultra wide ips.. the works.. very good and very immersive .. let down by inferior hardware at its heart..

and all down to a update it did with out asking as it had been set to that!.. NOT BY ME may i add,,,,

Sorry for the yet again off 'topicness' of my ramblings OP! ;)

Archived