Corsair Community

Obsidian 650D Fan Adapter Kit

bobcaribbean

Hi,

I bought a 650D case a few months ago, but did not proceed to complete my new build until recently. As many owners of this case model, I am experiencing noise issues with the two 200 mm fans when set on medium and low speed, particularly the front one.

The reference number printed on the case's cardboard box is CC650DW, which seems to identify first revision 650D cases. As it did not come with the fan adapter kit, does someone know if Corsair still sends them free of charge through tech support requests ? The following (pretty outdated) link seems to be dead : http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-650d-fan-adapter-kit.html.

Thanks

My case included the new linear fan controller, but it was dead, and plugging the fans directly into motherboard headers or another fan controller I had revealed the same noise in the front fan at all speed (less noticeable at high speed, though).

Corsair sent me a replacement for the fan controller, and a new 200mm fan (didn't ask for it). I replaced both, but the noise still existed in the front fan.

As others have mentioned, the noise disappears if you can put the fan further away from the front grill, so I used some extra spacers I had from a B&D Spacemaker Coffeemaker, and it worked. But I was afraid I was losing air from the open space in front of the fan, so I recently made a shroud out of the spare 200mm fan. Can't tell if it really helps or not, but doesn't seem to hurt. I'm using Lampron closed corner rubber screws to mount these. I thought maybe Corsair would supply these rubber mounts, but they didn't come with my case, or the replacement parts they sent.

-Z

I've put in a request for a fan fix kit with Corsair support, so we'll see if they send me one.

My case has the -1 at the end of it's model number on the box, but the e200mm fans are secured with screws not the rubber mounts. I'm also wondering if it has the new version fan controller fitted?

Well just got a reply from Corsair support telling me the front fan is attached with a plastic mount. The fan in my case is fixed with 4 fan screws of the type supplied as spares with the case, I know what I'm looking at and know a screw when I see one. :mad:

They replaced my fan controller and gave me a new fan (didn't ask for it), but I did ask about a fan fix kit with rubber screws twice, and they kinda ignored that, never responding--they just told me the fan controller replacement would fix my issue, and in case the fan was defective, here's a new fan.

I bought my own rubber screws from Microcenter for $1.99.

-Z

Can you guys post your case #? Let me take a look at them.

Sure. My case # was #2294140. My fan still whined after replacing the fan controller and the fan--but I was able to reduce that by using spacers between the fan and the front grill.

I was expecting something like the fan fix kit someone posted here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruocaled/sets/72157626480054126/with/5612184416/

with rubber screws and some kind of resistor? But as you can see in the case notes, support didn't really offer that kit to me, though I asked about it twice.

Thanks,

-Z

• Corsair Employee

zinzan - This is the linear fan controller, the link that you posted, those are no longer available.

Bedazzled - Customer has instructed to you to follow a process to get the linear fan controller for free, follow the steps and it will be sent to your free of charge.

If I were to buy a 650D again, I would not expect fan controller issue--I got a bad one, but have no reason not to think it was a one-off fluke. And Corsair sent me a new one, no questions asked.

But I would expect a front fan whiney noise without modifying your case. Corsair used to provide a fan adapter kit, but they don't any more. Probably because it didn't help the noise. It seems that the only ways to eliminate the noise are to replace the fan with a thicker one (but then you have fitting issues you have to deal with), add space between the fan and the front grill (could have fitting issues, could lose some fan efficiency), or tear out the front grill.

I would also say that chances are reasonable that you may find chips on the paint between the top of your case and the front panel (unless Corsair has fixed a packaging or manufacturing issue--I had to RMA two cases before accepting the third, which still had some chipping. Worst part for me, other than inconvenience and hassle, was that these two RMAs caused me to miss my $20 rebate window).

All that said, I would probably still buy the 650D. It's much nicer to work with and looks beautiful, compared to the Antec 902 I replaced, though the Antec never had paint issues. It was louder, but that was expected, and it wasn't an irritating whiney noise.

-Z

cool. thanx for the info zin.

I just placed an order through amazon... 650D should be here by weds or thursday. I hope the case is free of chips you described. Can't wait to replace my old antec 300. I bought the 600T SE but wifey loved the case so she took it. LOL It seems like I'm buying more corsair stuff to go into the case these days (mem sticks, H series cooler and now cases). I love the 600T and now hopefully the 650D as well.

JB

Most likely, you will have the fan noise up front (I don't know why you wouldn't actually). It will be a little frustrating, but you will like the case so much that it won't matter. Perhaps one day you will work up the courage to cut out the front fan grill. In the meantime, enjoy your new case! Everything else about it is top notch.

Most likely, you will have the fan noise up front (I don't know why you wouldn't actually). It will be a little frustrating, but you will like the case so much that it won't matter. Perhaps one day you will work up the courage to cut out the front fan grill. In the meantime, enjoy your new case! Everything else about it is top notch.

i've been reading about the front fan noise issue. what kind of noise is it exactly? 600T is pretty much silent and only time you hear the fans is when you set the controller at max. wifey loves it.

• 1 month later...

So, how much of an effort is it to replace the front 200mm fan with something like a Coolermaster 200mm. I've had my build almost 3 weeks now and it sits under my desk. The sound is beginning to get to me, and I'm sure I'll be looking for a fix shortly.

Frankly, the Coolermaster sounds like a better fan anyway.

Regards,

Tom C

Archived