Corsair Community

GS600: Fan start/stop noise

LookAtMoy

I'm suffering from what seems to be a well-known issue with my GS 600 PSU: the dreaded fan start/stop noise.

This

isn't mine but illustrates the exact issue I'm having.

Under light load, when the fan doesn't need to spin, the PSU (and the whole computer) is pretty quiet. However once you start doing anything more intensive, such as playing games, the fan keeps starting and stopping, making this strange buzzing/chirping noise, which is definitely audible over a game's music and sound effects.

My PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case with the fan towards the floor, so as to draw cool air into the case from outside. My graphics card is situated above the PSU, with its fans facing down towards the top of the CPU. There's a fair bit of clearance between the two.

The computer is otherwise pretty quiet so it's rather annoying to be experiencing this problem, especially as I went out of my way to buy a Corsair product due to the company's reputation.

Is it worth me doing an RMA (well, an advance RMA so I'm not without my new PC), or is a replacement unit going to do the same? Can I get a different model instead? Or should I just send it back to the retailer for a refund?

• Corsair Employee
Our customer service will contact you with in 24 Hours on instructions how to get it replaced. If you want to request an Advanced RMA please call them by phone to make that request the phone number is listed under contact on the main site. And you can call the toll free number using SKYPE for free. We will be open for 2 more hours so I would suggest calling them right away if you want an advanced RMA!

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest calling them by phone an advanced RMA cannot be done on line.

And returning it to your reseller would not be a good idea in this case. I asked our customer service to take care of the shipping since you purchased it less than 30 days ago but please just call them by phone and they can work all that out with you.

Hi! Just to let you know the replacement power supply arrived last week, has been fitted, and the old one is on it's way back.

The replacement is a different model, which is great, and whilst the fan does make the normal fan-noise when it spins up it doesn't chirp like the previous one.

Thanks for all your help! :)

Archived