Corsair Community

SP 120 Fans - Installation woes

El-Skunk

In the situation where the grommets start to twist and pull themselves out of the fan housing, I found it very beneficial to get the 4 screws in finger tight, then actual pinch the rubber grommet in place while pushing it against the fan mount, and then then screwing it into place. Another option is to do this outside the case, and get the rubber stretching and partially ready for a screw.

Hi'ya Funtambulus :roll:

I appreciate your input but if I wanted a product that required modifications, time or tampering to fit over the simplified usual method of simply screwing in four screws to mount, I would of purchased a $2 cheap imported fan from ebay and done so knowing I had purchased a ridiculously cheap low quality product at a low price and had very low expectations for it. LOL

What I don't appreciate is buying high end expensive brand fan from Corsair, with all singing all dancing noise reducing mounting points that tear, rip and fall apart before you even get to fully mount, tighten or even use them.

I also find it extraordinary that a manufacturer can acknowledge an issue, authorise an RMA and then suggest that WE THE CUSTOMERS foot the postal charges to correct something that their design team's oversight caused.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem with an AF 120 Fan, where the rubber twisted and the plastic screw hole inside of it broke free from the rubber housing and was just spinning inside. The fan was left stuck to my brand new case. Needless to say, I was not pleased at this point.

To get myself out of that situation, I had to take an x-acto knife and carve away at the rubber surrounding the plastic screw hole. Once it was free from the rubber housing, I took a pair of needle nose locking pliers to the plastic screw hole piece and was able to free the screw from my case.

I think the problem comes from the use of self-threading fan screws. If you look inside the plastic screw holes before installation, they are smooth on the inside with out any pre-drilled screw pattern.

To work around this with the existing fan implementation, this is what I found to work.

Unofficial AF/SP Series Fan Installation Guide

- Following the technique described below, you should be able to successfully install your AF/SP series fans.

Step #1:

Now this 1st step may be overkill, but after getting a fan stuck to my new case and then just barely getting it back off, I wanted to be extra cautious. You can try skipping the 1st step outside the case, but still use the same technique when screwing them to your case/radiator etc. Use your discretion.

Note: Complete this step outside of the case. Put the fan down flat on a desk/table etc.

1. Pinch the rubber grommet surrounding the screw hole with two fingers (thumb and index fingers). This will ensure the rubber grommet does not twist, and you will be able to feel when it does begin to twist.

2. Begin to gently thread the screw into to the screw hole, straight with even pressure.

3. Screw in only 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time. You will feel the rubber grommet begin to twist. When you feel the rubber grommet begin to twist OR if you feel that the resistance you are meeting when trying to screw into the fan is too much, begin to back the screw out.

4. Roughly for every 1/4 to 1/2 turn, reverse and turn it back it out as much as 1/4 to 1/2 or more. Then repeat the process, by turning 1/4/ to 1/2, reversing it out etc. You will notice that you are meeting less resistance for the part that you have already threaded. Also, the screw can get a little hot during this time.

5. Slowly, you will meet less resistance as you get the screw further threaded into the plastic screw hole. This technique will allow you to get the screw fully threaded with the screw head reaching the rubber grommet, without damaging the fan.

6. Do this for all the screw holes that you intend to use for your installation.

7. Afterwards, once the screws are removed, you can visually inspect the plastic fan screw holes and will now see that they are threaded.

Step #2

Note: Complete this step using your case, radiator, etc.

1. Repeat the technique listed in Step #1, but this time screw the fan to your case/radiator etc. You will notice that you will meet similar resistance, like you did when you threaded the plastic screw holes outside of the case. Also, if you can't grip the rubber grommet with your fingers, try to visually see if the rubber grommet is beginning to twist OR feel the resistance on the end of the screw driver and judge when to back it out.

2. Repeat the technique listed in Step #1, until you have reached the desired tightness.

I hope that this post is useful and can help others.

Added two SP120's to my case and this was also an issue. I ended up just screwing them in as hard as I could until I was sure the screw was going to strip - one of they actually may have done so. Now I have screws sticking out of the bottom of my case and it makes it extremely difficult to attach magnetic fan filters I had to buy since Corsair elected fan filters down there were not a matter of importance. I'll have to give this a shot.

Corsair makes some great stuff... but they are jacking up on little details like this and it is unacceptable.

Actually not at all, the fan screw didn't even make contact with the fan support/bracket before it broke the plastic around the mounting holes.

I agree. Those self-tapping, very coarse threaded screws are the pits and if the plastic is the least bit brittle, it will fracture well before the screw is even close to being installed.

The screwing in/screwing back out and repeating this process little by little did in fact work perfectly for me. My screws are now all the way in without a problem... I only did two of them at opposite corners for both fans. I got tired of the forearm workout and blister that was forming from the amount of pressure I had to use to hold the screw driver.

• 3 weeks later...

I just used a drop of dish washing soap on the screw to give them a little lube . They go right in. A drop of silicone lubricant works just as well and will also let you remove them pretty easily. WD-40 makes one in a spray can . IJust spray a little on the cap and dip your screws in .

Just another suggestion guys.

• 6 months later...

sAme issue with a Sp120 quiet edition screws not even half way in an the rubber mount was stopping me fully tightening the screws I'm sure they will fall apart if I fully tighten. the screws are way oversized, total joke for a £10 fan.

I see the work around, but there should be no need for a work around this is a fan not rocket science and looking at the dates on these posts corsair don't seem interested to fix this manufacturing defect.

You don't have to tighten the fans down all the way, it defeats the purpose of the silicone bumpers. What I do is watch the fan bumpers and if they start to compressed I stop. They are held perfectly in place and can't wiggle. If the silicone is compressed, it'll be similar to having plastic vs metal vibrations.

I've had zero issues out any of the fans except for the first one in which I decided to drive it in without paying attention and that one vibrated. After I removed it and did as I described above, zero issues.

Also, if you hold the rubber mount with your hand and use the proper size Phillips bit you'll have no issues with stripping screws or anything of that nature (or not getting the screws in).

• 6 months later...

I too have had this same problem. While installing a set of SP120 (waiting for replacement from RMA) and now with an AF120. One installed just fine. The second one let me get three tight, but the fourth would not get close to the case before it spun.

While tightening the screws I am only turning about 1/8 of a turn, stop and let grommet return to rest, another 1/8th, stop, repeat until the screw becomes tight to the case.

I have seen the comments about dunking the screws in WD-40 or applying some silicon. Maybe when the new fan arrives I will try this.

Although I have also seen where some are using long screws that go through the full length of the fan and then placing a nut on the opposite end. This is a great idea and possibly what should be supplied with the fans as their mounting method. I am afraid to take the one that installed out to swap the provided screws with long ones.

It is sad that there are threads on this subject for many years. I am stuck on Corsair and really like their products. My Case, Memory, PSU and Cooler are all Corsair.

So frustrating though that something of this nature exists and isn't addressed.

A simple set of installation instructions with a tip on how to install these might reduce the RMAs. Not to mention a redesign of the hardware provided.

• 4 months later...
Same issue - just got mine today and trying to fit them. Screw goes in a couple of turns then stops. It can be made to work by literally doing a quarter turn at a time back off , then doing another quarter turn etc.. I have one screw hole done outside the case - took 15 minutes - this really is laughable to be honest. I have a whole system to be built today and the fans will take approx. 7 hrs. at 1 hr per fan just because these things don't actually have any threads and you have to make them by screwing in to flimsy plastic - wow.

Archived