Corsair Community

Voyager GT 32 GB in car audio system

saschje

Hi guys,

I purchased a Voyager GT 32 GB and would like to use it in my car audio system: SONY CDX-GT420U (USB 2.0).

Unfortunately it will be not recognized by the car system.

I tried different filesystem (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT) without success.

Are there any Firmware updates for my flash drive where compatibility issues were fixed?

May some of you know a workaround, maybe with a smaller partition (4GB + FAT) on the flash drive or any other fixes / tweaks.

Does anyone has experience such an issue, too?

Any help or suggestion (tools) are welcome.

I also contacted SONY support but not yet get a response.

From the official CORSAIR support I only get a RMA... but I'll not sent it in, cause it's wokring fine on my PC / Notebook even on 3.0 or 2.0 USB ports.

Thanks and Regards, Saschje

PS: Performance is great, I hope I'll not hit the issue that the flash drive will stop working suddenly with out any reasons (read alot topics about it in this forum)

Hi Yellowbeard,

let me know where I can find the exact model number you would know.

32G

TAIWAN

120480532B

With windows (right click, format), I'll try it now with HPUSBFW_v2.2.3.exe.

Which one do you prefer / suggest?

Regards, Saschje

I just tried another way:

- boot from system rescue cd and created one 2GB FAT-32 partiton with gparted

- copied some mp3 files to the stick from windows

- connected to car Radio --> no success

Now I'll try the diskpart function and report afterwards.

But it seems like that is not a filesystem issue :/

disk part clean also not worked for me...

There is no information about required filesystem in the manual either on the sony Website, they only mention that it should be a removable device.

With my old flash drive I run FAT & FAT32 successfully, NTFS not worked, what is not realy a surprise.

What also worked is an old 2.5" IDE device with 30GB, even just one of two USB connecters were plug in to the car radio.

I guess I'll have no luck to get it work, if either CORSAIR or SONY comes along with a Firmware update which are fixing / increase USB 3.0 / 2.0 compatibility.

The other option would be to send it back and try it with a different device.

Is there any chance that CORSAIR will take it back and return me the money? My online shop will not, cause I unboxed the device.

Thanks Yellowbeard for your assistance so far.

btw nice Avatar rembers me to Ben Gunns from treasure island ^^

Hi Guys,

I got an answer from the SONY tech support.

Their suggestion was to check the compatibility list and format into FAT32 Oo

There was no answer on my question if there is a Firmware available so I asked again, waiting for reply.

Could some one tell me if I would get my money back from CORSAIR if I would sent it back?

Or is there may any chance that CORSAIR would it exchange into this one:

Flash Voyager USB 3.0 32GB (CMFVY3S-32GB).

Regards, Saschje

Hi Guys,

I got an answer from the SONY tech support.

Their suggestion was to check the compatibility list and format into FAT32 Oo

There was no answer on my question if there is a Firmware available so I asked again, waiting for reply.

Could some one tell me if I would get my money back from CORSAIR if I would sent it back?

Or is there may any chance that CORSAIR would it exchange into this one:

Flash Voyager USB 3.0 32GB (CMFVY3S-32GB).

Regards, Saschje

Use the RMA link on the left side of this page and start an RMA. Once you have an RMA number, I'll see what I can to do make sure you get a USB drive that will work with your Sony head unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yellowbeard,

sorry for the late reply, I was still trying to figure it out with SONY support.

They give the request to their "developer team" but I don't think that I'll get feedback from them.

I requested an RMA like you advise.

RMA#5556547

Let me know how to proceed or if I should just send it to CORSAIR.

It would be great if I could get a USB 3.0 device with equal space and hopefully better USB 2.0 compatibility.

Thanks & Regards, Saschje

OK, I spoke with one of our tech support heroes and he suggested that you try making a partition on the drive. Some older car stereos could not address partitions above a certain size. For testing, you should use Diskpart to create a 1GB partition and test your drive again with your stereo.

DISKPART HOW TO

If you have trouble with setting the size of the partition, type the following help command.

HELP CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

We certainly have no trouble replacing your drive. However, if the limitation is your stereo and the partition size limit, then a new drive will not solve this. Let me know how it goes please. Remember to format the new partition FAT32.

Hi Yellowbeard,

I was just about to perform the tasks with Diskpart, but it is not possible to delete the "Volume" and create partitions on flash drives by Windows OS.

I saw some workaround with Hitachi HDD drivers, but then it will only work with modiefied computers.

That is why i tried this:

>> - boot from system rescue cd and created one 2GB FAT-32 partiton with gparted

>> - copied some mp3 files to the stick from windows

>> - connected to car Radio --> no success

Anyway I can tell you for sure that my stereo supports devices larger then 16 GB.

See attached screenshot.

>>What also worked is an old 2.5" IDE device with 30GB, even just one of two USB connecters were plug in to the car radio.

It doesn't matters if file system or partion size is correct, if you ask me, it is related to hardware (USB host controller) / firmware incomapatibility between flash drive and stereo.

I guess wether CORSAIR nor SONY will / could do something.

So my intention is to replace my flash drive with another typ (different USB host controller).

In a few words: I'll sent you a red one and will get a blue one back and hopefully it works then ^^

Let me know if there is a chance or if we could close this thread.

Thanks for the support so far. Saschje

devices.thumb.PNG.d96058388664969dbcd56fdd2d8d4c1d.PNG

Hi Yellowbeard,

I was just about to perform the tasks with Diskpart, but it is not possible to delete the "Volume" and create partitions on flash drives by Windows OS.

Actually, this is not really relevent. I tested it on a Flash Voyager GT before I posted my last reply. You can make a single partition to verify what I have asked you to test here. Simply make it 1GB or 5GB or something substantially smaller than 16GB.

It will take about 3 min of your time and could save you time and shipping.

The point of testing this is to save you an RMA "IF" an RMA will not solve your issue.

Your RMA is already approved and we have made a note in your case to replace your drive with a different revision of the Voyager GT so that you do not get the exact same drive in return.

Re Yellowbeard,

I did like you said, no success.

cmd
diskpart
list disk
select disk X
list volume
select volume Y
delete volume
create partition primary size=1024
format fs=fat32 quick

So I will sent it to CORSAIR.

How can I verify which revision do I own and which I will get.

Regards, Saschje

devices.thumb.PNG.793ccd2b56c93fdaece5d9e6d8833576.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Archived