Corsair Community

Corsair Link Dashboard V2 Software Update (Version 2.2.0) Updated 11/21/12

COOL GUY

After successfully updating my system so I can run Link 2.2.0, the Sierra2Service starts and immediately shuts down, then continues to repeat the process every second or so. Every version of 2.x.x the service immediately terminates, only with the latest do I get a useful entry in the Event Log which is as follows.

Application: SierraService.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

Stack:

at System.TimeZoneInfo.GetOneYearLocalFromUtc(Int32)

at System.TimeZoneInfo.GetDateTimeNowUtcOffsetFromUtc(System.DateTime, Boolean ByRef)

at System.DateTime.get_Now()

at Sierra2.Shared.MessageHandler.Update(Sierra2.Shared.Model)

at Sierra2.Backend.CPUNode.UpdateValues(Sierra2.Shared.Model)

at Sierra2.Backend.Host.OnTimerEvent(System.Object, System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs)

at System.Timers.Timer.MyTimerCallback(System.Object)

at System.Threading._TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(System.Object)

Running Windows 7 x64, fully up-to-date, complete VS2010 development environment with all .NET frameworks patched, up-to-date, and fully working (it's my job). This is a dual Xeon processor machine. Let me know if and how I can be of more assistance, would enjoy helping getting this resolved.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dashboard runs fine running it as admin or not. Updates to values are intermittent and sporadic, but they do seem to happen. It is very hard to make adjustments (luckily I don't need to), settings are all pretty much dialed in from running v1.2.x of the software. Due to the fact the service wont stay running for more than a second or three, it doesn't appear to fully update all the time or want to push settings all the time consistently but once again that is pretty minor...frustrating since I have no other options like falling back, but still minor.

I wrote a test .NET 4.0 service, polling DateTime.Now very heavily and never had any issues with it. I however didn't run multiple threads, all very heavily doing so. For instances such as this, normally we use UtcNow instead of Now if we are just storing the timestamp for comparison or duration use as it is much faster since UtcNow doesn't need time zone conversion. We ONLY use Now for stuff that the user directly needs to see in their local TZ as it's an expensive call, plus you can always translate UtcNow to their local TZ very easily. I do know that Now (and maybe even UtcNow) is a very minor blocking call since the RTC is southbridge in nature, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why any number of threads calling it would even result in an AccessViolation, let alone every single time without fail...but then again I haven't tried maxing out 12c/24t polling Now yet :biggrin:

I just installed the Corsair H80i it worked fine for a day or 2 then I tried to install new firm ware now theres no led light on pump and windows 7 64 bit wont detect it at all I looked in device manager and nothing every time I try to install new software sierra and boot commander fail to reset I got a Feeling my windows os has inStalled the wrong driver for it and I checked HID/ DEVICES AND NOTHING Apart from that its working without being able to control it thats the hole point isn't it can anyone help its starting to ##ss me off

I'm having sevaral issues with the link software version 2.2.0, where it is randomly adding devices which are already connected and accounted for. As such I ended up with 99 H100i fan devices and temp readings, all of which were glowing red, showing 0 RPM or even -1RPM, the temps were reading 0 degrees. After right clicking on the red device and clicking delete device, it immediately re-appears. Also despite previously saving my profile with each device where i wanted it positioned on the screen, upon restart everything had moved to a pile up on the top left corner of the graphite case image.

Any Takers??

I'll take you up on that. ;):

First off the software doesn't support windows 8, next release should tho. We got umpteen members waiting for the next release, many of us from the end of last November. But of course, Corsair won't release it til it is 100% ready.

Secondly I suspect another USB device is resetting your USB controller, causing your cooler to be redetected again and again (this will likely be an incompatibilty between a device and your cooler). Maybe try removing USB stuff one at a time, see if you can stop it happening?

I'm having sevaral issues with the link software version 2.2.0, where it is randomly adding devices which are already connected and accounted for. As such I ended up with 99 H100i fan devices and temp readings, all of which were glowing red, showing 0 RPM or even -1RPM, the temps were reading 0 degrees. After right clicking on the red device and clicking delete device, it immediately re-appears. Also despite previously saving my profile with each device where i wanted it positioned on the screen, upon restart everything had moved to a pile up on the top left corner of the graphite case image.

Any Takers??

I'll take 2 on this.

I have the same exact problem, surely the problem must be in the firmware/cooler or usb link drivers... not the system..

Corsair, I have a suggestion:- sort out the problems with your hardware/software rather than make people reconfigure their systems, it is ludicrous to expect each user to go through all their USB devices disabling/enabling systematically to get a working configuration!

Delete the profiles folder and sierra2_ui.cfg located at %appdata%/Corsair and start the dashboard again. Does the devices keep appearing?

So far so good, though I had to restart the computer before it was sorted. :)

I'm going to be purchasing the cooling and lighting kit, so I'm interested to see if that affects anything.

Looking forward to an update.

Thanks for your help guys!!

I have tried changing usb hubs, Removed the profile folder, tried uninstalling, reinstalling can get it working the first time, then after I reboot..

start loop -->

I open corsair link the guages are all 0, I go to device manager.the usb has an error I uninstall the devices related to the error then I scan for hardware changes it detects and installs the devices then open corsair link it all those dials are still 0 and a new set of dials get created that are working, in device manager it says that I need to reboot to complete the changes so I reboot...

<-- end loop

Have you tried a USB mini b to Type A cable?

I have a corsair H80i, I am using the usb link cable, and 2.2.0 software is that what you mean?

Is Windows set to automatically install drivers?

Advanced System Settings> hardware > Device Installation settings > Yes...

yes :(

Just to add my input ..I just got 2 h80is to cool my dual xeon E5-2670s on a Asus Z9 PE-D8. On a bone stock windows 7 x64 install I'm experiencing same issues with the sierra2 service stopping and starting continuously even with routing the usb connection to the back panel of the case.

However I decided to connect the cooler's usb to my other desktop just to see if I would be able to replicate the software issue. Turns out once I connected both cooler's to the usb of the other tower and installed corsair link 2.2.0 everything ran smoothly….the sierr2service was running without stopping and both h80is were recognized.

I'm thinking perhaps there is compatibility issue with the chipset of the Asus Z9 PE-D8? This mobo uses Intel C602 chipset. Any ideas?

Ever since i installed H100i i cannot boot into safemode and i am running Version 2.2.0 and H100i 1.0.4

I just went in and disabled Sierra2Service and i could boot into safemode again. I saw that this was supposed to be fixed in 2.1.7.

This software is incredibly bad. I upgraded to fix bugs in 1.27, now it's crash city on startup, bluescreens, and I cannot even see most of my devices anymore to upgrade their firmware. Gettin 1.27 working was tough enough, and now I cannot go back. This whole link system is deeply flawed. I'm a s/w developer and my company would be broke if we shipped rubbish like this!! Its been months and the software is in exactly the same crashy unusable state it was in when I checked last year. It's a real shame they cannot hire a couple of half decent firmware & windows guys to write some usable software for this product ... the H100 itself seems to work ok. C'mon Corsair, this is beyond a joke!

Ever since i installed H100i i cannot boot into safemode and i am running Version 2.2.0 and H100i 1.0.4

I just went in and disabled Sierra2Service and i could boot into safemode again. I saw that this was supposed to be fixed in 2.1.7.

So that's why I can't boot into safe mode all this time I thought it was another related issue thanks for posting now I know.

This software is incredibly bad. I upgraded to fix bugs in 1.27, now it's crash city on startup, bluescreens, and I cannot even see most of my devices anymore to upgrade their firmware. Gettin 1.27 working was tough enough, and now I cannot go back. This whole link system is deeply flawed. I'm a s/w developer and my company would be broke if we shipped rubbish like this!! Its been months and the software is in exactly the same crashy unusable state it was in when I checked last year. It's a real shame they cannot hire a couple of half decent firmware & windows guys to write some usable software for this product ... the H100 itself seems to work ok. C'mon Corsair, this is beyond a joke!

let it be known that I am also a software developer and I have to wholeheartedly agree with what Mike says.

Well I been calling bloody murder and having tempered rants since I purchased this a year ago last month when it got released and had purchased the Cooling and Lighting package back than for $150+ USD. I don't know anymore only to think that this is all coming from poor project managing to cheap overseas deals. I think their programmers prolly are from overseas and prolly can't speak english is my only guess to them not wanting to spend the extra $$$ for software geniuses. I've given up basically and whenever there will be an update I'll go for it I guess. I still think this thing is almost in Alpha stage and not even beta. No idea where they got the "we've sold tons of these with no problems" story and the fact that their "beta testers" didn't really do their jobs prior to their release of this flawed product. They were prolly staring at the LEDs drooling and calling in saying how magnificent of a product it was. We've been doing the job for them at a price. Idk anymore......

Found this on another thread earlier - "I am sorry but the new software has been delayed and I do not have an ETA at the moment. But as soon as I have anything to report I will post it. Sorry for the delay." - Ram Guy 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Archived