Corsair Community

Link has NO control over Fan Speeds ?

unit101

• Corsair Employee
I have no problem controlling our Corsair fans, however it does take a few min for the settings to take effect and when you first start the system you may have to start Corsair Link to get your profile running; but there will be a future update to address third party fan compatibility, I think Cool Guy posted a list of common fans we are testing in another thread.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem controlling our Corsair fans, however it does take a few min for the settings to take effect and when you first start the system you may have to start Corsair Link to get your profile running; but there will be a future update to address third party fan compatibility, I think Cool Guy posted a list of common fans we are testing in another thread.

Does that also count for GPU fans (like the ones on my HD 5970)?

By the way, I just tried setting fan speeds for the Silverstones and they actually do seem to respond. Very slowly though. :)

• Corsair Employee
Does that also count for GPU fans (like the ones on my HD 5970)?

A: At this time the answer is no but we would like to say yes and something we are looking into. Maybe Cool Guy can shed more light on this when he has a chance.

By the way, I just tried setting fan speeds for the Silverstones and they actually do seem to respond. Very slowly though. :)

A: The next release of the software is much better at controlling fans; I can't go into the specific issues but there is more to this than you would think.

• 4 weeks later...
We are currently seeing a marked improvement with 3rd party fans with the adjustments made to date. Further enhancements will be made over the weekend and we hope to have the new firmware into qualification by Monday. Full details will be provided when we are closer to release.

or TWO MONTHS from Monday.....?:stickpoke

• Corsair Employee
Yes its been longer than expected and the release was delayed because of some other concerns. Sorry but we don't want to drink Jack Daniels before its ready and we would not want to release an update that did not fix what it was supposed to.

Yes its been longer than expected and the release was delayed because of some other concerns. Sorry but we don't want to"! drink Jack Daniels!" before its ready and we would not want to release an update that did not fix what it was supposed to.

Now we can be friends!:D:

+1 For Uncle Jack:cool:

• Corsair Employee
Now we can be friends!

+1 For Uncle Jack

I don't know if you have ever had Red Horse Beer and a shot of Jack Daniels but if you have a Filipino store near you look for it there; it is what I like.

Please don't drink and drive though! LMAO! :roll::eek:

I don't know whether I should start another thread for this or not, but I just plugged a CoolerMaster 120mm Sickleflow R4-C2R-20AC-GP / A12025-20RB-3BN-F1 into my Link. It ran between 800-1100 RPM, far less than the 2000RPM. After a couple of minutes of waiting for it to speed up to maximum, I smelt hot plastic. I unplugged the fan and the motor was really hot.

So lesson there, the CoolerMaster 120mm Sickleflow is not compatible with the Corsair Link.

On the plus side, I also bought some Ener-max UCTB12P fans, these are PWM fans, and it seems to work great. So that one can be added to the compatible list.

I bought these fans because I was not able to get Corsair fans from any of my usual retailers, and knowing the compatibility issues bought the two sets.

Edit: Hmm, looks like whatever happened might have also fried one of the ports on the cooling node. Port 2 will only run the Ener-max fan at ~550RPM now. Plugged it into port 4 and it works no problem

• Corsair Employee

Please test the unit with our fans and see if it works properly. If not then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

In addition, please keep in mind the spec of the fan controller which is 2 amps max per header and 4 amps MAX Total. So if the fans you have use take more then 1.0 amp and you have four fans connected that would be too much load on the controller.

Please test the unit with our fans and see if it works properly. If not then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

In addition, please keep in mind the spec of the fan controller which is 2 amps max per header and 4 amps MAX Total. So if the fans you have use take more then 1.0 amp and you have four fans connected that would be too much load on the controller.

Thanks for the load info, never saw that before.

Will the fans that came with the H80 be suitable for a test? When I plugged in the fans for my original h80 to the cooling node, they were not recognised by the link.

Current should not be an issue. The failed fan was 0.35A. The other fans on the node are 0.4A. So load should not have been an issue.

• Corsair Employee
They will need to be 3 Pin TAC Fans some of the fans we bundle with our coolers are 4 Pin PWM fans would be best connected to the cooler with the interconnect connected to the link to control them. Sorry for that.

• Corsair Employee
If anyone in this thread is interested in trying the latest version of the software and Firmware state it and I will contact you. This is the next version and will fix some of the issues with fan compatibility but may NOT fix all of them internally we are all using this version and it has been 100% stable but we have not officially released as of yet.

If anyone in this thread is interested in trying the latest version of the software and Firmware state it and I will contact you. This is the next version and will fix some of the issues with fan compatibility but may NOT fix all of them internally we are all using this version and it has been 100% stable but we have not officially released as of yet.

I would be honored to give the new release a try.

RAMGUY, I would like to try it. Thank you.

I tried to send you a PM, but the system blocked me from doing that.

May I suggest that you ask the product manager and/or the engineering manager to do a formal beta test. Right now, Corsair is "hoping" that some people will volunteer to test with their third-party fans. But "hope" is not a "plan."

Archived