Corsair Community

Link has NO control over Fan Speeds ?

unit101

• Corsair Employee
Shaft thanks for posting that I am not sure if they are available here in the USA but we will add them to the list of fans to be tested. If not we may be able to get them from Europe please keep an eye out for future updates on our software.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I am in the USA. Popular online retailers carry them such as Frozencpu, performance-pcs and NCIX for Canada.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14434/fan-924/BitFenix_Spectre_Pro_120mm_Fan_-_Black_BFF-SPRO-12025KK-RP.html

Hope that helps.

Corsair Link looks like a great product on paper, unfortunately no where on your site is there a list of compatible fans. I was under the impression when I bought it that it would be able to control any 3-4 pin fan.

If this can be corrected with a firmware update I would like to keep it, otherwise I can't justify keeping a $140 power splitter in my case.

RamGuy was not mad or need a explanation, just mentioned that some times you can and sometimes you can't, I am a web master in two forums and a school website so I understand the filters, but usually they are a addon not embeded in code, off topic.... and the post was geared at saying I'n using name brand fans, can you give a realistic eta for any updates? I keep hearing soon but soon is not soon enough, my computer is torn apart right now, because I'm not sure which day there will be a update or if I need to rma. ;):

• Corsair Employee
If this can be corrected with a firmware update I would like to keep it, otherwise I can't justify keeping a $140 power splitter in my case.

We are evaluating different methods of fan control that would hopefully allow a much wider compatibility with 3rd party fans. All of them require a firmware update for the Cooling node/H80/H100. From this thread I have seen the following fans called out:

Thermalright TY-140

Noctua NF-P14 FLX

Prolimatech Blue Vortex 140

COUGAR CF-V12HP

BitFenix Spectre Pro

Coolermaster

Gentle Typhoon

I am positive there are lots more out there that have not been called out by part number. If you do not see your particular brand or model number listed, let us know what your using.

• Corsair Employee
can you give a realistic eta for any updates? I keep hearing soon but soon is not soon enough, my computer is torn apart right now, because I'm not sure which day there will be a update or if I need to rma. ;):

We will update on the fan control issue by the end of this week (3/16/12). I will have a better understanding if the changes work on a large scale and how many bugs we still have to work out of the new method. It will use the same hardware so an RMA will not be needed, just a firmware update.

• Corsair Employee
Nobody's tree got shook; it is the progression of a new product development. We asked for more resources to help address the questions and we were given more resources. It is really that simple.

Nobody's tree got shook; it is the progression of a new product development. We asked for more resources to help address the questions and we were given more resources. It is really that simple.

Oh God have I been there. This is nothing compared to the automotive supplier world when a new product or process has some 'issues'.

I have no doubt that Corsair will hammer out some solutions...

And the right thing for Corsair would be to credit the "first 100" for being beta testers? :D Who's with me?!! (insert joke here) and assuming I'am one of the top 100 customers otherwise scratch that idea :D.........I will post a somewhat positive thread soon of my Corsair Link working with my custom liquid cooling system really well.

• Corsair Employee
We are currently seeing a marked improvement with 3rd party fans with the adjustments made to date. Further enhancements will be made over the weekend and we hope to have the new firmware into qualification by Monday. Full details will be provided when we are closer to release.

We are currently seeing a marked improvement with 3rd party fans with the adjustments made to date. Further enhancements will be made over the weekend and we hope to have the new firmware into qualification by Monday. Full details will be provided when we are closer to release.

As a working product manager myself (but in a totally different industry ...) may I humbly suggest that Corsair take a poll of what third-party fans or anything else people use or expect to use with the Link. And then go out and get these fans, so you can do compatibility testing BEFORE the product is released. Or, if there is some insane pressure to get the product released by X date, warn people that third-party testing is not yet complete.

Finally, publish a list of all the fans that have been tested by Corsair, along with the rev of the software in the Link when the testing is done. That could really reduce the angst in this area.

Respectfully ...

As a working product manager myself (but in a totally different industry ...) may I humbly suggest that Corsair take a poll of what third-party fans or anything else people use or expect to use with the Link. And then go out and get these fans, so you can do compatibility testing BEFORE the product is released. Or, if there is some insane pressure to get the product released by X date, warn people that third-party testing is not yet complete.

Finally, publish a list of all the fans that have been tested by Corsair, along with the rev of the software in the Link when the testing is done. That could really reduce the angst in this area.

Respectfully ...

I totally agree with this gentleman and would love to give you the info on exactly whats connected to my link so it can be worked with in the labs for the future firmware updates and so on.

Just wanted to clarify my post on the cougar fans I have. The CF-V12HP's are PWM fans connnected to my H100 (4 of them) and all work correctly thru the cooling node via the H100. Please don't break them with an update :). The cougar fan I am having an issue with is the CF-V14H which is connected directly to the cooling node and is NOT a PWM fan but can be controlled by my motherboard with no issue.

I'm no expert, but couldn't it just be as simple as giving us manual control over the amount of voltage we want to send to our fans instead of using some complex algorithm that makes the software try to find the right voltage for whatever rpm you set? My fans turn on at 5V and full rpm at 12V...how about an 0V/7V/9.5V/12V setting? Am I completely wrong here?

Problem is that myself and many others want it to be as silent as possible, and go up in small increments as needed. If I wanted manual control I would buy one of those cheep 4 fan controllers for 20$ My system varies from no load to 100% CPU usage for 3 hours, and I want to keep my cpu under 50 degrees Celsius no matter what, so the software is supposed to adj fan speed according to temperature, while keeping noise to a minimum.

robandcathy, I'm sure everyone here who bought the Corsair Link knows why people use fan controllers.

It was a simple solution to the incompatibility with 3rd party fans. I would rather be able to manually set my voltage and cycle through profiles (gaming/idle), then to not have any control or wait months for them to implement functionality into the current set of features.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i just got my 650D case, link commander along with H100 cpu cooler and i seem to have the same problem. im using Cooler Master SickleFlow R4-L2R-20AR-R1 connected to my H100 and my RPM on CM fans are way off i got one running at 1900 rpm then the 2nd fan around 790-820 rpm, tried adjusting it but nothing seem to work did the Maximum RPM and nothing happens. i got the corsair airflow fan for the ram and it seems to work when adjusting the fan speed. firmware is updated, tried reseting but still nothing.

I just want to know if its the CM fans that are not compatible and are you guys working on an update for aftermarket fans?

CM fans and most other fans are not compatible right now, they have been working on it for a long time now. If you plug you fans into the h100 you can still use the push button on the cooling block to control the speed (at least that works for me) Unfortunately my system is overclocked so my temps fluctuate greatly and the push button requires me to keep case open, ugh.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but we are working on it and the release CoolGuy was talking about was postponed due to some unforeseen issue. I am sure we will release some information as soon as it becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder of the functionality promised with this product prior to release and since being released.

What will Corsair Link allow me to do?

The Corsair Link Cooling Node, combined with the Dashboard software, will allow you to customize each and every fan in your system to adjust their RPM under conditions you specify. This provides you with unprecedented control over your system, either using manual settings or based on temperature zones within your system.

Hi fellow Rig builders,

Yesterday I put together another PC in a Silverstone Kublai KL04 case (with one side intake fan and a rear exaust fan). Me too I noticed that the Silverstone case fans show up in CL but they cannot be controlled. But, if that 'll be fixed in the (near) future, CL is a fun product.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9914/corsairlinkkublaikl04fa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Case: Silverstone Kublai KL04, PSU: Corsair HX1000W, Mobo: Asus Rampage III Black Edition, CPU: Core i7-980X (4,2Ghz), GPU: Sapphire HD5970 4GB Toxic, Ram: 12GB Corsair Dominator CMD12GX3M6A1600C8, Cooling: Corsair H100 with Corsair Link kit, Boot: [R/W 535/480Mbps] 256GB SSD, Data: ST31000340NS (1TB)

Archived